Re: Is it possible to survive breast cancer or does it eventually come back?

Hi Ann

That's interesting. So nothing to do with it won't work without chemo?

It's crazy to think chemo is given where no cancer exists only because Herceptin is only licenced with it. Sounds like a money making thing to me.

Does anyone know of somebody who is HER2+ refusing chemo? Just not sure how chemo is needed if the cancer is not there. My understanding is that chemo kills or shrinks cancer cells and not even all. What if the cancer has been removed? How does chemo prevent cancer coming back? Surely that's what Herceptin does for HER2 + and also hormone therapy?

Xxx
Community Champion

Hi G,
It’s to do with treatment protocols, as herceptin is only licensed to be given with chemo.
ann x

Hi Jo

Thank you. I'm very happy with the result and I'm happy to have the further test too. I'm hoping I don't need chemo of I can help it, I really would rather not.

I'm also hoping I'm not HER2.. There I go again running away with myself. My sister had myloema and had chemo and told me how horrible it is and how it really does just poison our bodies. She said she would never have it again.

I would why we can't just have Herceptin without the chemo? Is this just a money making thing putting the two together I wonder 🤔.

Xxx
Community Champion

Hi Mandy, That all sounds good news! It's common to have a mix of invasive and DCIS, I did, and also to need a second op to get better margins. Clear nodes is great news too 😊

The Oncotype test is something that is offered when it's not clear if Chemo would be of any benefit, a few years ago it would have been given as a safeguard for a lot of ladies with intermediate breast cancer but now many escape it thanks to this test so well worth having.

Xx Jo 

Good news about your margins, hopefully you won’t have to wait too long to find out what treatment you need. Xxx

Oh and the grade was 2.

Xxx

Hi all,

My results are that they got a clear margin with 1mm to spare. The DCIS (35mm) was 1mm away from the edge of the tissue they took out. They also found an 8mm tumour which is IDC invasive which has also come out. The lymph nodes were clear.

They said the call from the oncologist yesterday who asked me for permission to test my tumour was asking to do an oncotyping test. It is something they do in America to determine whether or not they are over treating people. It will tell them if I am in the high risk or low risk group of it coming back. If I am in the high risk group then I will also be give a certain type of chemo. If I am in the low risk group, I will only have hormone therapy and radiotherapy. Either way I will have radiotherapy but only after I have heeled. I have to also wait the the results of my HER2 to come back.

Next steps are I see the oncologist for the result of my tumor test and after that either I have chemo or start hormone therapy.

They also said when my surgeon is back from hols she may want to do another op to get a bigger margin but I won't know until I speak to her.

Xxx

Thanks so much Ann for sharing this. It's people like you that we can all benefit from hearing from and I'm really grateful you took the time to come on to the forum.

Amazing regarding your mum. What a strong lady. It just goes to show every cancer is so different, and you yourself doing so well too. So lovely to read. Indeed I feel there is hope.

I've had lovely ladies like yourself take the time to respond and calm me down. I go for my lumpectomy results today although I've already been told I have no node involvement and they got a good clear margin. I'll find out the next steps at 3pm 😊

All the very best.

Mandy xxx

Hi Getorade,

I don't live on this website the way I used to, but just saw you're post and thought you might like to know about my mum. She was diagnosed with BC way back in 1982 at the age of 47. She will be 83 years young in April next year, so that's 35 years and still going strong! In those days there was no differentiation of bc types, and she wasn't given any chemo or rads, just surgery. I myself was diagnosed with stage 2 grade 2 invasive lobular cancer in 2013 at the age of 50. I had surgery, chemo and rads and continue to do well, so I hope that gives you some encouragement. Whatever your treatment plan turns out to be, I wish you all the best. Take care. Ann xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Getorade, I just wanted to say hi and sorry you found yourself here.  I'm also an ER+ lady and on Tamoxifen after chemo, mx and surgery.  I was diagnosed age 48 in March 2017 locally advanced including 9/12 lymph nodes and I'm still here and doing well.  It's not quite the 20 years survival you'd hoped to hear about but for me it's wonderful and I've seen my daughter graduate and been on a couple of lovely holidays since I finished treatment.  I too became very obsessed with death after diagnosis as you can read in my blog: http://lifeafterlola.com/ but that does get less over time. As Ann suggested, there are many people out there leading normal lives but they don't all come on here, for some it may be too much of a reminder and they want to put it behind them.  I'm glad to hear you are doing well and I hope that continues.  Feel free to come on here for a rant about the unfairness of it all or you could move to the "going through treatment" threads to ask specific questions to others going through the same.  Best wishes.xx

Sunbeam, that's a lovely outlook, I totally agree with you there.  Chemo brochures can cause accidents if you read them whilst trying to cross the road so read them safely. x

Hi Getorade

I am living life to the full. Mammo 50 is a trial, which started 3 years after diagnosis. They ask if you would like to take part, then you are split into two groups, one group would be having mammograms every year, the other group every two years. I was selected in the every year group which I was pleased about as once the 5 years were up for mammograms, I would have gone back to every 3 years, which I feel is to long to wait so at least this way I still feel I am being checked.

You will start feeling better about the situation as time goes by. It really does get better so just look after yourself.

I wish you all the best and will keep checking to see how it is all going for you. XXX

Thanks so much Angie

Can I ask what Mammo 50 is?

So happy for you experiencing such happy things since your diagnosis. Lovely news start 🤗 xxx

Hi Sunbeam

You're absolutely right. We could go anytime in the past so nothing has changed except this uninvited guest that had come from nowhere and makes some of us pay it way too much emotional attention.

Thanks for your support and encouraging words. Your strong approach to not letting Bob consume you is inspiring.

Keep strong 🤗

Mandy xxx

Hi

I was diagnosed in 2013 Grade 3 so had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy and like everyone once we hear the word Cancer we do think the worst. In Dec I will be having my 5th mammogram.  I am also doing the Mammo 50 trial.Since then I good married for the second time, my oldest son got married. I became a Grandma and have had many lovely holidays and enjoyed them all. We all have bad thoughts but please dont let them take over your life. As many people have said it is difficult when you are diagnosed but it does get better. I dont come on the forum so often but I always take a look to see if I can support someone like yourself. 

Take care and any questions just ask there is always someone who will support you.

Hi

So my cancer is grade 3, Her2 and oestrogen positive, 3 lymph nodes had it too, opted for mastectomy. Now awaiting chemo etc.

The way I look at it is we all wake up in the morning and we all hope to climb into bed at night.

I could just as easily get hit by a bus while reading the leaflet on chemo from my latest appt.

I think with cancer it does suddenly make you think of your mortality but you never knew and never will know exactly when you were going to go anyway even before you had it so really what's changed.

You woke up today so today was amazing ☺

We all have black moments even if we strive to think positive.

I might have a moment but just say out loud ...right f### off Bob as I refuse to let it suck my day away. Bob is my BOOB without O for ONCOLOGY lol. That was name I gave my lump at the start and even though technically Bob has indeed left due to my mastectomy 😂 I still shout at him to do one.

Will do Lorraine and thanks again 😍 xx

Hi Ann

Yes I think that's what he said. Something about the genetics and whether they think it will come back or not. Maybe it is a test that already exists.

😊 Xxx
Community Champion

Hi Mandy,
It might be the Oncotype test or maybe another they’re trialling to find out the genetic make up of the tumour. This is good, as it will help to see if chemo is indicated or not. Fortunately, quite a few here haven’t needed chemo after having the test.
Good news about the results!
...& yes, for many cancer is a blip in our lives & nothing more & in many cases, better than HIV.
ann x

Keep us posted how you get on tomorrow xx

Thanks Lorraine, it's just strange I received that call when I am stressing. Surreal really..

Yes he said it is something new they are doing and he just wanted my permission to use my sample.

Results formerly given to me tomorrow.

I'm happy they are regularly coming up with new ways of beating this thing.

One day cancer will be like HIV. I don't think people have the threat of it turning into AIDS anymore and being life threatening. I could be wrong.

😊Xx