08-01-2019 08:16 PM
04-01-2019 09:13 PM
04-01-2019 07:19 PM
04-01-2019 06:33 PM
There's never a 'good' time to get a diagnosis, but it creates such a dilemma when other life events are around the same time. It is such a shock getting diagnosed & it's normal to feel the way you describe, we've all been there!
It is difficult to be prescriptive on this & at the end of the day, it will come down to how you feel about it.
Certainly, many others here have continued with holiday plans & the teams are usually quite happy to accomodate holidays plans in treatment schedules as needed.
It is usual for all of us that the treatment plan cannot be finalised until after surgery, so there's probably not a lot you can do about that. If radiotherapy is needed, it's not for 6 weeks at least until post surgery, so any holiday could be accomodated around it.
Hopefully, others will be along to support & advise shortly, so do come & chat or rant whenever you need to.
04-01-2019 03:52 PM - edited 04-01-2019 04:30 PM
Hi I'm new to the forum.
Only just diagnosed before Christmas and yes very much a big shock . I'm having a mastectomy, on the 15th Jan, with reconstruction to follow in 1- 2 years, should i choose too.
When the surgeon explained everything to be the next day, after my diagnoses. I asked how long my recover will take and he and the BCN both agreed with one another i will be back at work in 2 - 3 weeks post op.
I mentioned to The BCN i have booked a trip of a life time, should i cancel it ? Ok it is at the end of May However it is not a relaxing Holiday it is lots of walking, sight seeing and 1 week in a primary forest jungle. Which means i will be constantly hot, & sweaty. Of course i understand BCN can not advise me to cancel as it has to be my choice.
My initial thoughts where and still are, i need to get used to my new body. I do not want to be feeling self conscious and having to worry about mastectomy bra rubbing ECT .
Also twice the the BCN has mentioned for me not to cancel and twice ive said i want to feel comfortable and not worry about my changes. Other wise i will not be able to enjoy the trip .
What i really dont understand is , my treatment will not be decided until i get my post op results. This is when i need to pay the balance off on the trip . How can i be advise not to cancel and not know my treatment . I may need to start radio therapy..... I have no idea.
Plus just the emotional side, im still managing to go to work every day and thinking i will be back at work within 3 weeks . I just feel quite angry, which is normal i know , Im angry at the professionals, just seem to be dismissive . I Know I Know I Know, thats not true ! Im really upset. Does anyone get what im raging about ????
Thanks for any words of wisdom or your experiances .