cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed with breast cancer at 35

5 REPLIES

Re: Diagnosed with breast cancer at 35

As a medical professional be it of the animal variety I have every faith in the nhs and less so in cbd to cure me of Bert! Whilst it may be effective against nausea etc with chemo unless someone shows me a double blinded clinical trial I’ll stick with my treatment plan!!
Highlighted
Community Champion

The post below - Jackson24 - has been reported.
Take care everyone
ann x
Community Champion

Hi Scottydog,  sorry you find yourself here with "bert".  I was also ER/PR+ HER2- (it's the most common bc, slower growing but stubborn as far as I can gather).  I was 48 at diagnosis with a family but at your age and point of view there are more factors to consider so do make sure you look into things like having eggs frozen for example, before chemo, if you are having chemo.  I had no family history other than my paternal grandma who developed ER+ breast cancer in her 70s (this isn't considered a family history) and she still lived to age 90 on Tamoxifen alone and it wasn't bc which killed her in the end.  Here is some information on fertility for you to have a look at:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/publication/fertility-breast-cancer-treatmen...

I also write a blog which has lots of suggestions on how to cope: lifeafterlola.com

Don't feel you have to stay upbeat all of the time.  This is a horrid thing to get through and all emotions are very normal.  There's a quote which sums this up nicely: "You'll have good days, bad days, overwhelming days, too tired days, I'm awesome days, I can't go on days.  And every day you'll still show up"

Check out the "going through treatment" thread on here so you can chat with others going through the same.  I found this really helpful and still keep in touch with my chemo buddies. x

Hi Scottydog,

I'm 37 and was diagnosed with grade 2, her2neg, er+ bc in September, mine was small at only 1cm so I've been lucky enough to escape chemo. I had my surgery (lumpectomy) on 12th November, recovered well and started radiotherapy on the 27th Dec, 14 more sessions to go and on tamoxifen for 10 years.

I have a wee boy who is almost 2, we had planned to have a 2nd this year but have decided not to. Coming off the tamoxifen that is preventing (hopefully) recurrence doesn't sit well with me. Might reconsider once we're a bit further away from the trauma of it all!

I was really stressed and upset at the beginning and questioned why me too, I do have family history my mum had and died from bc when she was 58 but I've had all the genetic testing which came back negative so just a case of rotten luck but really felt quite calm with it as soon as knew what the plan was to evict the bugger (mine was Mildred). I'm getting to the end of my active treatment now and looking forward (maybe a bit nervously) to the future. I plan on being around for a long time yet!!

Good luck with it all and happy to chat/answer any questions I can x

Hi Scottydog,

You're in the same position more or less as I was when I had cancer the first time, albeit I was a bit older at 42. I had no family history. 13 years later and a new diagnosis of a different breast cancer and I'm still it in my family as far as breast cancer goes. I do think why me but then I suppose why not? The only difference is I'd finished having kids before I got it.

A lot of people panic when they hear the words cancer but treatment is very doable and not necessarily awful. You'll be fine. Good luck.

Diagnosed with breast cancer at 35

I was diagnosed after biopsy with breast cancer officially 21/12 after biopsies on 11/12 and am scheduled for mastectomy with immediate reconstruction on 8/1. The tumour is 3-4cm her2neg e2 positive. I’m 35 with no family history of bc and had been planning to start a family this year (which has obviously just gone out the window for a while). Whilst up until now I’ve been quite upbeat about it and just wanting the surgery done so that Bert (as the tumour has been called by my vet colleagues) isn’t causing any more problems I’ve found myself questioning why me and why now in the last few days. I suppose I’m just looking for words of wisdom or support from you amazing ladies who have gone through this diagnosis