Re: Diagnosed this week and very frightened

I started chemo Wednesday and already feel mentally better that everything is moving forward . I’ve also met some amazing ladies in various waiting rooms at different stages in treatments , who have given me advise , and made me laugh 😄
Kip

Hello to you all, sorry you are here but glad to have you all the same!

It is the most difficult time when you have just been diagnosed, so many unanswered questions, new terminology to get your head round and those dreaded waiting times for results.   I was diagnosed with Grade 2 ductal in April 2018.  I had to have an MRI before treatment plan was sorted, they explained it was to give a clearer picture of what was going on.  Gave a definite answer to location, size etc.   Once they had this and the results of the biospy (which sorted out whether it was ER+ (oestrogen) or HER+) I was then given my treatment plan.  Before I could start chemo I had to have a bone scan, a CT scan and a heart scan... all are straight forward and pretty standard as far as I have read.. they just want to get a clear picture before they start.   Unfortunately a 2 week wait for any results seems to be pretty standard.. and boy do those 2 weeks seem a long while... but like others have said before... once the treatment plan starts you do feel more in control and glad something is happening. 

Hang in there, call your BCN and ask questions if you are worried, thats why they are there and obviously come on here and chat, someone always around to answer.

Take care ladies

Kip

xx

Hi! I was diagnosed this afternoon and head was reeling - just found your threads and forum which is very helpful and thankfully feeling more grounded x Smiley Happy

Thankyou sally , I suppose I won’t know until I get there ,x

I had to see the oncologist in the breast clinic several times during chemo. They just want to check you're ok and managing any side effects.

Started chemo today , all ok so far , but come back to a letter from breast clinic ( different hosp from chemo ) to go in 2 weeks , doesn’t say why , is this normal , all my results are back hence started chemo , is this usual ? Do they just check your doing ok ? Every letter I get I go in panic mode 🙁
Community Champion

Susan

I had grade 1 tubular cancer , hormone recepter positive and I never had an MRI, my treatment plan was lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy, both came back clear so I went on to have radiotherapy and have been on tamoxifen just over 2 years, I will be on it for 10 years altogether.

Helena xxx

Strange, my recent cancer was lobular and I still didn't have an MRI.
Community Champion

Hi Susan ,I didn't have an MRI either - like Ann says certain types of cancer are harder to see on mammogram so MRI is needed .Higher grades of cancer and those where spread to lynphnodes is suspected may have MRI as a precaution but 95% of Breast cancers have not spread beyond breasts or lynphnodes so it really is a precaution .
Community Champion

Hi Susan,
As Sally says, not everyone has an MRI. It’s usually done for certain situations, such as if the intial biopsy shows ‘lobular’ bc. If it is ‘ductal’ it’s not usually done as this type of bc can be seen on mammogram more clearly. Lobular bc is more diffuse, so needs another imaging technique.
If you’re not sure, do check with your team.
It is a shock getting a diagnosis, so it takes time to get your head around, but we all do.
ann x

I never had an MRI, either first time or this time so not everyone has one.

I had a bone scan and a CT scan this time to check for spread but 1st time round I never had then either. I think it depends on the size and grade?

Hi..just been diagnoised yesterday grade 1cancer...tteatment plan next week. Is an mri part of all plans. It was not mentioned at diagnosis meeting

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty resigned to waiting... And I keep reassuring myself that a week or two won't make that much difference.

Community Champion

Hi Jill,

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I'm doing fine although real life has taken over this last year, which is  good thing I guess but has given me less time to spend here. I do know that you have had a very challenging time lately, to put it mildly. I'm so sorry about that and hope 2019 gives you some respite on that front. Happy new year and hope to catch up more this year. 

Take care.

Ruth

My results took 2 weeks - pretty much each step has taken 2 weeks! So frustrating xx

Bluetit,

Thank you for your reply. How long did it take from MRI to receiving your results? We have decided to tell the children while they are still on school holidays. Hopefully that will give us all time to process it. It will also explain why I keep having to go back to the hospital! I will keep you posted on how it went...

Happy New Year everyone. Onwards and upwards. 

xxx

Interesting times - you sound very much like I was last month. We also chose to wait until I had a treatment plan before telling our children. Looking back we were right to do that as we wouldn't have been able to answer any of their questions. The MRI contrast injection is really easy, I bizarrely found it quite interesting. It didn't hurt at all, I was quite comfortable and it just felt slightly cool as it was pushed in half way through the scan. Be good to hear how you get on xx

Val- thank you for posting. I also had a large lump, seemingly much bigger than many who have posted here, which still frightens me. My boob is now off & I'm waiting for my chemo date. I also had a CT scan for bones, liver, lungs etc which by far has been my most anxious time so far. To reassure you, the scan itself was fine & very quick. The contrast dye they used was a warm one that sometimes makes you think you've wet yourself (I didn't feel that myself but thought it was worth mentioning in case they don't tell you!) The wait for results also was very quick but totally agonising. I'd love to hear how you get on, hopefully all good.

Keep in touch x
Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Hi ValBeach, sorry you find yourself here, especially at Christmas (but then there is never a good time to receive a diagnosis).  You are right that this is the worst time whilst you are waiting with nothing being done and you can get very paranoid about cancer spreading.  Once your treatment plan is in place you can chat with others going through the same on the "going through treatment" thread.  Here is my story which I hope you find some comfort from :  lifeafterlola.com.  I hope you have a good New Year in spite of it all. xxxx

HappyNewYear.JPG

Thanks Helena.

Community Champion

interestingtimes

Hello and welcome to the forum, know it is not somewhere any of us would choose to be.  Just wanted to wish you well for your MRI on Wednesday hope it all goes well.

As you can see on here we are a lovely bunch of ladies who will help and support you in whatever way we can.

Helena xxx