Re: Daughter due to have a mastectomy...and I am devastated

[ Edited ]

Hi I recently had right side mastectomy and auxiliary mode clearance, it was not as bad as I had expected. I had immediate reconstruction with implant and mesh so that was extra long surgery (5 hours) but I am glad I did not wake up flat. After the first night one of two drains came out and I could have a shower, after the following night the second drain came out and I could go home. At home I was up and about most of the day and doing my exercises for stretching my arm. It is still tight from the mode clearance and I am still working on it. This is the my main discomfort. After two weeks I was back at work and now after four weeks I started my chemo today. The surgeon said it really helped that I am slim and in good shape so that he could cut more economically as I understand it. I haven't been in pain much, other than the first night after surgery but they have me drugs for that and these also helped me sleep a bit. Hope this info gives you comfort, take care

Thank you ann-m, I am anxious to hear about experiences, it will help me to provide a good support and, hopefully, ease the path.

Sandra x

Community Champion

Hi Sandra,

Welcome to the forum, although of course, you wouldn't want to be here & sorry to hear your daughter's been diagnosed.

Try not to let what happened to you affect your thoughts about your daughter's surgery, it's not the same thing at all.  I did not need a mastectomy, so can't advise specifically, but no doubt, others will be along too help on this. 

It is a horrible shock getting a diagnosis, especially when young, but most importantly, it can now be treated & outcomes are excellent now. 

There are certainly others here who are a similar age to your daughter, so if she wants to, she can certainly come here chat & get support as needed. In addition, there is the helpline here & lots of useful information on the main bcc site.

ann x

Daughter due to have a mastectomy...and I am devastated

Hello, I am new here and I am not used to forums, but I am really desperate and I really don't know what to do here.
Two weeks ago my 34 years old daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer, completely out if the blue.
No family with this issue, no warning, just a sudden lump.
She will have a mastectomy next week and I am terrified with a long list of nightmares: will she be OK with the anaesthesia and surgery, how painful it is afterwards, I am horrified by the draines (I just had a kidney out after two months of a nephrostomy bag that went horribly wrong), if they are painful, her reaction afterwards, seeing a scar, her quality of life, etc.
I feel useless, basically I am just listening her, supporting and trying to read as much as possible, but I need this forum's help to learn how painful and difficult will be, so I can be prepared to help her.
I cry a lot during the night (we live together) because I do not want her to see me like this but hearing about your experiences will help me helping her.
Thank you and bless you for the support you are giving.