cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antidepressants and Tamoxifen

2 REPLIES
Highlighted

Re: Antidepressants and Tamoxifen

Hi, I'm a doctor. Paroxetine and fluoxetine should not be used with tamoxifen as they make the tamoxifen less effective. There are other alternatives to paroxetine in the same family which do not interact anything like as much, such as sertraline and citalopram. Suggest you talk to your GP about it.

I'm on sertraline and will be on tamoxifen after chemo. Just to warn you, if changing from paroxetine, it can take a long time to come off as you may need to reduce very slowly as side-effects from reduction can be nasty (paroxetine is particulaly bad for this I'm afraid)

Also the anxiety will improve a bit once treatment is underway, the bit at the beginning when you're waiting all the time makes everyone anxious, but it does get better.

Community Champion

Re: Antidepressants and Tamoxifen

Hi Cola,
First of all, welcome.
It’s good to hear your bc was picked up early & although you need it like a hole in the head, from what you say, it looks like it will be straightforward to treat from the bc point of view.
Others here do have antidepressant treatment with tamoxifen & hopefully will be along to advise. It also might be an idea to post in ‘hormone therapy’ &/or the ‘ask our nurses’ section of the forum. Also, do have a chat with your GP about it.
ann x

Antidepressants and Tamoxifen

Hi I've just been diagnosed with breast cancer it has been caught very early and although they are going to do a masectomy they do not think I will need radio or chemo therapy which is great. They have put me on Tamoxifen but I also take paroxatine which I have done for a number of years. My consultant does not seem worried about the two but did say my GP might have a problem with it. I suffer from anxiety and I can't possibly stop my paroxatine especially now my anxiety and panic attacks have been awful since being diagnosed. Any advice welcome.