cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mastectomy is my option?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: mastectomy is my option?

11 years ago I went into surgery with DCIS not knowing whether I would wake up after a Mastectomy..."fortunately" I only had a lumpectomy and have become accustomed to my lopsided look - I considered a reconstruction but it would have meant interfering with the other breast (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!)I've recently been diagnosed with Pagets Disease (possibly a development from the DCIS) and have been told it's definitely a Mastectomy this time...I'm so relaxed about the idea now, having had the fear so many years ago, that I'm going to fight for a double mastectomy..I'm quite looking forward to being flat chested!

Highlighted

Hi Cola

Thats exactly how I would describe the implant.

I was told by the surgeon to wear sports bra and the BC nurse directed me to the Royce compression one I have at the moment. I will check that bra out ,just need comfort as it is really pulling across chest and making me feel unwell.

Thank you for your advice this is a great forum for getting help and experiences from others in the same position.

Annie 55

I was given 2 bras before leaving the hospital. They are from a company called Amonea its a Frances non wired front closure. Ive since ordered 2 more as they are quite comfortable. I have an implant. At the moment It feels a bit like when you were breastfeeding and your boobs were engorged. Thats the only thing i can liken it to. Its uncomfortable but not painful if i keep on top on medication its not too bad. Hope you get sorted.x

Hi Cola

like you I had a Mastectomy and reconstruction also reduction as well and stayed 5 days due to drains. The wounds are not as bad as I thought but the post surgery bras are causing me issues so tight (brought recomended size by hospital and the Royce one due to its antibacterial properties)that yesterday made me feel ill, I have since had to go into a sports bra until the larger one arrives , just wondered if it is the reconstruction and wondered if you have experienced any similar issues ???

Best Wishes 

Annie 55

I had my masectomy and lymph removal a week ago today I had fairly large tumour so no choice in matter really. It was reconstructed at the same time. I got home after 2 days and so far everything is going as expected. Yes its uncomfortable and the pain is a little exhausting but feel much better than I thought I would. The thought is definitely scarier than the actual event. 

Thoughts are with you.

@tin85 wrote:

hello I am in my early 30s and I was diagnosed with high grade dcis, I did lumpectomy and the consultant suggested that i do either radiotherapy or mastectomy. I even performed a genetic testing which resulted that i have the mre11a gene that makes me susceptible for breast cancer by 30 % more than the general population. In your opinion shall I opt for mastectomy? 

Hi tin85

I had a radical mastectomy in December, reconstruction will follow in June. 

I had a large tumour so had no choice re mastectomy, however I’m happy that Iv had it done.

its a strange feeling having one boob, however I’m now use to it and I’m now cancer free.

its a big decision, however my feeling is best to ensure you get the gremlin out once and for all, then look forward to new boobs later or sooner. 

Hi Tin85, so sorry that you find yourself here but it is the best place for support.  Yes go for the mastectomy! I had high grade dcis and had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy.  A year later I had invasive BC!  I wish I had been 0ffered the mastectomy the first time around. So go for the mastectomy and follow your doctors advice.  Good luck with treatment xx

mastectomy is my option?

hello I am in my early 30s and I was diagnosed with high grade dcis, I did lumpectomy and the consultant suggested that i do either radiotherapy or mastectomy. I even performed a genetic testing which resulted that i have the mre11a gene that makes me susceptible for breast cancer by 30 % more than the general population. In your opinion shall I opt for mastectomy?