Hi, yes the BCN was great, good job she had a big box of tissues too! She explained a lot more and now I know that its high grade and I have the beginnings of comedo necrosis? I had not heard of that before, why does information just come in dribs and drabs?
Hi Essex Girlie,
I’m so pleased you’ve had such a great meeting with your breast care nurse and have such a great option for you. My breast care nurse is awesome and I know I can ask her anything without her rolling her eyes in exasperation ( she has far more patience than I have ! ). It makes such a difference doesn’t it
Hi Lorraine and Mrs G. Thanks so much for your posts. I got to see a breast care nurse today. We talked for over an hour! Long and short of it is, the team have had another discussion about my case. They have decided that by using a mammogram to place the wires they can offer me two lumpectomies!! Of course there is always the possibility that they will find something more sinister or not be able to get the margins needed but I am relieved to have another option. I am feeling that its 'worth a go', I might need some radiotherapy but all being well that could be the end of it and I will have yearly mammograms for the next 5 years. If they don't get the margins or find something else it would mean a mastectomy but at least I will have had a go at saving my breast, I am happy in my own mind now and can accept that, in the worst case, a mastectomy will be the right thing for me. I have another appointment with the surgeon and will take his advice, but things are looking a lot brighter now, and hopefully I will be able to sleep at night now.
This forum has been so good for me, thank you both.
Making a list of questions is a good idea.
There is a lot to take in, and it can be confusing. I hope you get a breast care nurse soon, and clear answers to your questions xxxxx
Hi Essex girly 2,
I’ve had a similar experience to you. I had my recall on 9 October and was told on arrival I had a very suspicious area, they had already booked me into see a surgeon so I’d be having the biopsies etc but they were very worried about what they had found. I then had a manual exam, more detailed mammogram and then the biopsies using ultrasound when a marker was put in. Then had a second mammogram to make sure the marker was ok.
at this point the consultant who had inserted the marker came back and said 99.9% of the time the marker goes straight into the lump but mine was some way away so needed to be done again. This time it was done in a mammogram which was unpleasant to say the least ! The consultant then came back to see me to say the reason the marker had missed was there were actually two lumps 4cm apart one of which was not visible to the mammogram.
when I saw my surgeon I tried really hard to have two lumpectomies as my lumps are only 8mm each but she was adamant I have to have a mastectomy. Firstly I have invasive Lobular and invasive tubular cancers which makes it multi focal and so mastectomy is the safest route. But secondly she explained that, even though I’m an E cup, by the time she had removed the lumps and clear margins it would be so much of the breast removed it made no sense to try to leave some behind especially as it’s already multi focal. In my world I’d rather have the mastectomy and be safe so I’m now happy to go with that although I’m glad we explored it.
my surgeon and breast cancer nurse are fabulous and both me and my husband have so much faith and confidence in them I’m sure it’s the right thing to do.
my surgery was due to be 2 November but I’ve pushed it back to 7 December as I have a holiday next week I really wanted to go on. I’m having implant reconstruction at the same time as my mastectomy and then at a later date having the good boob reduced and lifted to match.
Hope you get the answers you’re looking for. The team in dealing with really have been fabulous and have arranged additional appointments and ultrasounds to help put my mind at rest, I hope it’s the same for you xx Melanie
Can you phone your breast care nurse?
They should be able to explain about the marker and whether 2 lumpectomies were a possibility.
My tumours were not close so it was not possible for me.
Keep asking questions and getting information, it does help with your decision making xxxx
Thank you Lorraine, One of mine is 5mm the other 2mm, I just can't understand how they could get the marker so wrong. I am fairly resigned to a mastectomy, it just makes me wonder if I would have had more choice if the marker was done properly. I am an F cup.
I’m not sure about the marker.
However, I had 2 small tumours (biggest was 7.5mm) in the same breast and had a mastectomy. They have to get 1cm of clear margins around each area of concern so 2 lumpectomies may not be possible for that reason. I’m a C cup so maybe they can operate differently on larger ladies.
Wishing you all the best, xxxx
My head is all over the place right now. I had my first hospital appointment on Friday and was told that my 2nd biopsy was also cancer. Two areas of calcification which are 5/6 cms apart. Doctor said that the 2nd biopsy marker was about 2cms away from the cancer and would make it difficult to do a lumpectomy as he would not be able to find it easily ... he then went on to say that he thought 'something might be going on' between the two calcifications so it would be best to do a mastectomy. I was fairly resigned to that outcome but am now wondering if the doctor was saying that to excuse the fact that the doctor doing the biopsy and putting the marker in was careless. I am just angry that maybe, just maybe, I could have had 2 lumpectomies instead of losing the breast. I cannot understand why the marker would be so 'out', anyone else had this happen to them? Am I just getting more paranoid?!