322408posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed Today

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Diagnosed Today

Thank you this all sounds so encouraging and really pleased you have done so well.
I have learnt an awful lot over the past couple of days and glad I found this forum it has made me realise how many people are on this journey.
I have no spare tummy fat and 2 and a half years ago had key hole surgery to remove a polyp near my appendix so I remember that tightness on The abdominal wall well so I think after reading up I will have to go for the implant as they will do at same time with a reduction to right breast.
Wishing you well on this journey that non of us chose xxxx

Hi Annie
I was diagnosed with high grade DCIS in July 2018 and told I needed a mastectomy. Complete shock as you say!
My wonderful consultant gave me several options for immediate reconstruction but said the “gold standard” was DIEP flap. I opted for this and had surgery on 22 November. I had a skin sparing mastectomy, sentinel lymph node removal and reconstruction. The breast is doing well and I’ve been offered a nipple reconstruction in the future. The abdo scar is from hip to hip and very fine, mine was “glued together” so no external stitches. 9 weeks on and I have full arm movement and am doing some Pilates exercises. My abdomen still feels very tight but has healed beautifully. It worked for me! I still get quite tired but otherwise feel great or as great as a 65 year old can... I don’t need any further treatment at all. Hope this helps. Good luck with everything
Highlighted

Hi Helen
Thank you for such a positive response it is so reassuring to hear other people’s journeys and how they have come out so positive the other side.It is such a journey but by joining this forum has really helped and made me realise that I am not alone with my feelings.Love the way you have named them Pinky and Perky I now begin to feel part of a very special group which we all have one thing in common.
I will post in another group and thank you for the suggestion,this is all so new at the moment but hopefully when I get a date and get my new boobs a bit of retail therapy will help me to move forward.
Love Annie xxx

Hi Annie - it is all very scarey at first - but once you have a treatment plan in place it really does become a bit easier. You'll be giving others advice based on your 'journey' before you know it.

My breasts are completely different now - like pinky and perky (perky being my new one - ha ha), but they're going to do some 'work' on my real breast some time in the future to give me some symmetry and aslo make me a new nipple -so like you it's as if I'm having a 'boob job'👀.

I'd copy and paste your first post and post it in the going through treatment part of the forum under 'surgery' and I'm sure you'll get loads of help and advice on other types of reconstruction - and as you've got until Monday to make your decision you have a bit of time to get other perspectives on it all.

This forum is a life saver - keep us infomed of how you get on, Love, Helen. xxx

Hiya
Your situation sounds very much like mine, I am 63 and also weigh 9 stone, not a lot of fat on my tummy 😂.
Mine is my left breast and as I am an E cup they are going to reduce them to a c cup, so I guess I am having a boob job , that was the only thing that has made me smile.
They say surgery will be within 2 weeks all so scary but at the same time it is lovely to hear from people who totally understand what you are feeling as some people just dismiss and treat as if you have a cold.
Thank you for replying I think like yourself I will be addicted to this forum for tips and advice who have sadly been on this journey.I hope one day I will be like yourself and be able to offer reassurance and advice to others xxxx

Thank you for your kind words and advice.
Yes it was a shock especially when the surgeon felt it was nothing but only by the push of the Radiologist for a final test did it show positive as they had initially explored every optio open to them
Annie xxx

Hi Annie - I was diagnsosed with IDC and medium grade DCIS in August and had a right mastectomy on 24th Sept. I 'went for' immediate reconstruction using a tissue expander. I wasn't actually told about any other type I could have - and just went along with what they recommended. I'm 62 and weigh about 9 stone - but I do have extra 'fat' they could have used.🤣 My consultant said because I was a 'D' cup they could achieve this size with this type of reconstruction, as I say no other option was given to me. I think knowing what I know now (having stalked this forum every day for the past 5-6 months) I probably would have opted for this type of reconstruction in any event. I only had to have  one operation site - they managed to get the Sentinal node from the mastectomy site.

I had to go weekly for 6 weeks having the tissue expander inflated to gradualy stretch the skin, my last 'fill' was in November - they like to leave it for 3 months to 'settle down', so I have an appointment on 5th Feb - at which I'm expecting to be given a date to have the temporary tissue expander exchanged with a permanant softer implant.

Hope this helps - if you want any other info let me know.

I'm sure there'll be others along to tell you about other forms of reconstruction.

Take care - sending love.💖

Community Champion

Hi Annie,
It’s always a shock when getting a diagnosis & suddenly a lot to get your head around, but you will get there & do allow yourself time to look at the options.
I did not need a recon, so can’t add a lot. It may also be an idea to post in ‘surgery’ in the ‘going through treatment’ board, where other ladies have gone through recon.
Are you able to get hold of your bcn to discuss options?
Most importantly, it will now be sorted out, even though it’s a shock of course.
ann x

Diagnosed Today

After 3 months finally a second MRI with guide biopsy has detected dcis which has been a huge shock after my BC surgeon had kept informing me it was benign after all the tests and biopsy.He came straight out with Mastectomy and was given a dvd and booklet to watch by the BC nurse as there was no time to talk to us today .Feeling totally numb but have to decide by Monday what reconstruction to have , any ideas ?? I am very slight and do not have much fat so I guess that might be an issue.
Thank you for listening as feeling lonely right now X