cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCIS and IDC

Re: DCIS and IDC

Hi Dizzybee,

Thank you for replying. I actually tried to liken DCIS to pre cancerous cells before I had it explained to me. It was my boss who did this and she has behaved like it’s nothing even carrying out my mid year review the day I finished before surgery. Ill get over it though, though that’s why I’m off until after I get my results. She also tried to tell me I shouldn’t be telling anyone it’s none of their business and I didn’t deal with my child correctly.

I’ve been ok so far but think I had a reality kick yest so decided to register on here. It helps to read other stories and you’ve been through a lot :-(

I’m being positive but realistic and haven’t ruled out that they might not have got it all and might need to go back in.

I hope your next op goes well and a big hug back at ya

Angela xx

Hi Angela

There is nothing that gets me more riled than being told that DCIS  isn't really cancer. There are so many women who have to have mastectomies as a result of it, it may not form a lump but it can travel a long way along those ducts. I was diagnosed nearly 18 months ago and am about to have my fourth operation, two to remove the cancer and two on the good side to achieve symmetry.

I know we're lucky that there is such a good prognosis,  but having DCIS  still drives a coach and horses through your life, and I will always worry about recurrence just like everyone else.

I hope you have good results from your operation. Everything seems very overwhelming in the early  days, but you will get through this, and a year on you will be able to look back and see how far you've come.

Sending you a hug, and wishing you luck with the pathology results.

xxx

I originally was sent to hosp with a cyst then while there they found DCIS. I’ve had a WLE last Monday and waiting on results. I’ve had so many try to tell me that I don’t have cancer. So many on here have had mastectomies for it not being so

Angela xx

Happy anniversary pecan! I appreciate your kind words more than you know. My port goes in tomorrow (scary) — my last surgery was a tonsillectomy 54 years ago. I hope that once I know what to expect from chemo and see that it’s working, and somehow by the grace of our loving God I get used to having no hair I might be a bit calmer. Not knowing is the worst. I get you 100% about finding yourself happy or laughing for a moment and feeling traitorous and awful for allowing yourself to forget for the moment. It is a feeling very much like laughing at a funeral. Are you having radiation? I have been told by both my oncologist and surgeon that it is because of the IDC in my dcis/idc diagnosis that is high grade that I have to have chemo and probably radiation post surgery. Have you had a second opinion? Hugs to you and I hope you enjoy your special day with your hubby!!!

Rest assured the terror eventually subsides to acceptance.  I'm sorry to say. 

I remember when I finally went to the GP and said "By the way, I have a lump in my breast" on the 7 July this year.  By the 9th August it was removed, but it's only in the last couple of weeks I finally came to terms with the fact that it was happening to   ME.  I am still waiting to find out what the next steps are, as a result of a nasty infection.  I do know I am not due to have chemo, which should make me happy.  Instead I don't know HOW I feel. 

The first few weeks the lump was in my mind every waking moment, as it probably is yours, and when I laughed I felt traitorous in some way, like laughing after a funeral.  And looking at every woman's breasts (pervert?), wondering if they also had cancer, and did they know.

I feel for you.  Not knowing it the worst place to be.  I think you said there was no node involvement?  This is a good thing!

The day after tomorrow is my wedding anniversary! 

Thank you Cathy. Right now I am just terrified of everything. Still don’t have the HER2 result. Praying hard it’s positive otherwise I will be 3xnegative. Port is being inserted the day after tomorrow. Everything is so scary! I have been as healthy as a horse. Last surgery was 54 years ago when I had tonsils out at 5 years old. I feel like I’m being a big baby but I have never been more scared in my life.

Hi S.marie,

WLE is a lumpectomy by any other name.  I think it stands for Wide Local Excision. 

Sorry to hear of your results.  You'll find lots of support here, though, so welcome to the club.

Cathy

What is wle? I have both dcis and idc grade 3 stage II with no lymph involvement. Er/pr negative and praying for Her2 positive results so I’m not triple negative. I have been offered either lumpectomy or mastectomy but that is down the road as I am at the very beginning and having my port introduced in 4 days.

Thank you all ladies for your replies 💖
Community Champion

I think it's relatively common for there to be an area of DCIS around the invasive cancer .I had both but just had lumpectomy ,as long as you have clear margins it's not necessary to have mastectomy.You could ask this question in the ask the nurses section Pecan ?

Hi ladies, my understanding of dcis, it is ductal carcinoma that is still in the same place it was created, idc is invasive ductal carcinoma that has moved from duct and now growing in breast tissue. Im no expert  i had idc my mother had dcis,  my breast nurse tried to explain my diagnoses, hope this helps or someone may correct me if im wrong.

Happy weekend ladies

Debbie x

Hi Girly,

I specifically asked, and got everything including the scans.  Took a while.

I was diagnosed in July, had the WLE in August.  I've had an infection since then, so I'm still waiting for that to heal to then go for rads.  All my research so far has related to IDC, so this has thrown me.  Why did you have so many nodes removed, and why... you see what I mean?  The little I thought I knew about DCIS was that it was less serious than the others, and yet so many people with DCIS seem to have had mastectomies.

Galloping piagra?

Cathy

H Twinks,

I have already had the WLE.  The surgeon didn't tell me I had DCIS, before or after.  The initial ultrsound showed a tumour of 27-30mm, the biopsy said DCIS as well as IDC (but he didn't tell me that either), and then he told me the surgery path report said the tumour was only 21mm, but didn't tell me he removed the DCIS at the same time, which was 15mm.  (I need to re-read all the reports for the exact details, as I'm in shock at the moment, I think.)

Hi there Pecan,

I have stage 2 invasive cancer which was removed and they found DCIS also. I have been offered breast conserving surgery or mastectomy. I will definitly have the mastectomy as the cancer will be gone and i will not require radiotherapy following it.

Hope you are ok. I would ask your DR for further advice, options.

x

DCIS and IDC

I'm new to the DCIS thing, having only been told I have IDC.  Both high grade.  I'm starting to wonder if there's something else there, too, and it seems lots of DCIS victims (?) have mastectomies, whereas I was only offered WLE.  Does anyone have an opinion to offer?

Cathy