cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCIS and IDC

Re: DCIS and IDC

Well I am going to opt for implant . Thought long and hard.

But need to see on Wednesday how

they go about this etc

I mean who knows what he will find when he does operation etc.

I am feeling anxious about that part. Can he do implant will i need more treatment is it in nodes so many things are going round in my head . I am struggling with this part.  

I honestly can't make head of tail of it all and so on turn is sending me off again again down anxiety road.

Great to hear from you all as always . 

lucia

Lucia,

That’s who did mine, he’s really lovely. I can’t fault the city at all and have had top treatment, I’m moved on further again. Was at the city last Friday to see a Dr McAleer for my radio, back in again on Monday for my ‘planning’ day then it’ll be a bit after that I start.

I guess only you can decide with all the help and support you need to help you do it. Have you to let him know by this week? So if you decide mastectomy and recon on same day would that be the surgery part finished?

Dizzybee
Yeah I get that but tbh I hadn’t thought much about the DCIS being graded or even getting that report for some reason before i went in

Angela
xxx

I think it's really common for DCIS to be high grade, it's still much better to be high grade DCIS than low grade invasive.

I still think it's hard to get your head round needing extensive surgery to remove it at the same time as being told how lucky you are, this is the one to get etc. 

City hospital.

Mr Mallon I seen.

And just like you ANgela I posted on diagnose board that I was floored with high grade. Having been so optimistic.

Still am . 

He said he would do implant if I choose it same day as masectomy.

Lucia,

What hospital are you attending?

The high grade bit floored me yesterday and guess made things real, a few didn't understand saying I should have been jumping for joy at getting the all clear.

If you get mastectomy just, how long will you have wait until the reconstruction then? I'm thinking you just want it out like I did and even more so with being high grade.

hugs Angela xx

Yes the breadt cancer nurse was great. She showed me that book.

Surgeon said he would rather do reconstruction when he's doing operation he feels that was best for me long term.

But  I will ask him next week if he did operation without knowing I needed radio etc would that be ok.

As he would know how good bad it is and if I need further treatment unroll he performs mastectomy.

I am lucky to have great support from my family but on this site it's great to be in touch with people who really know what it is like and there experiences.

Thanks 

Lucia

Having recently been through what you are now having to deal with, I can totally understand your dilemmas re reconstruction, etc.  Just chipping in with a suggestion, have you met with your breast cancer nurse to discuss your options?  Mine showed me some pictures of other (faceless) ladies and went through the procedures for each type of operation.  Symmetry was an issue for me as I am larger than your “small A cup”.  Your nurse may also review with you some of the emotional issues re waking up ‘flat’ post-op versus possible immediate reconstruction with an implant.  You don’t have to rule out reconstruction for ever, you may want to consider it when you are better able to cope with it.  I had delayed reconstruction with a gap of 5 months between ops.

I am also high grade DCIS and the recurrence rates, etc. following a mastectomy are really quite low.  Take heart, you don’t have to go through this alone.  If your real life family and friends aren’t able to support you, there will always be somebody here.

Loads of hugs

Ezzie x

Dizzy and Angela.

Yes I have to have masectomy as there are two Areasin breast and small A cup.

Plus it is high grade. Wish has really concerned me. 

Yeah I am finding it difficult to cope now. I prepared myself mentally for masectomy but high grade D IS has threw me to high anxiety state again.

What a nightmare we are all in at times.

I to am in northern ireland Angela. 

I have one week to decide option reconstruction . Either implant or go flat.

Using other skin not an option.

Lucia

Thank you all.

I’m not sure where you all are, I’m in Northern Ireland can honestly say I’ve been well looked after. I had my first app on the 21 Sep then biopsies 28th Sep then results and told DCIS on 11 Oct and surgery on 30th. It’s all been very quick. Yeah he seemed to have had to wait a lot longer.

Lucia, like D I will not forget the results and being told but I had a feeling it wasn’t going to be clear for some reason so I was slightly prepared. Like D I’d ask why a mastectomy and not a WLE to see first.

Angela xx

Angela, I'm so pleased you got clear margins, and dead impressed at how quickly your oncology appointment has come through. I waited weeks for mine and then they wouldn't give me a date to start radiotherapy, they just kept saying DCIS wasn't a priority and they were very very busy. And I was worried they'd want me to go over Christmas and spoil things for the family.

Pecan, 13 weeks after surgery, that's even longer than mine was. Are you looking forward to getting on with it?

Lucia, welcome. Getting diagnosed is a shock to the system, even when you have a pretty good idea that's what's going to happen. Did you choose a mastectomy, or was it the only thing recommended?

I will never forget the day I got my diagnosis, all along they'd been telling me how lucky I was that it looked like it was only DCIS, not invasive, I'd need a lumpectomy and radiotherapy and then could go away and forget about it.

And then on the day, they said, 5cm of high grade DCIS, have you thought about a mastectomy? You can choose, wide local excision but you're borderline for achieving a reasonable cosmetic outcome,  will need symmetrising surgery to the other side. Or mastectomy with about five different reconstruction options.

It's hard to take in that much information at once, I was trying to get my head round it all, and in the end the surgeon told me to stop asking questions. 

So Lucia, sending you a hug, and I hope you're managing to take all this in better than I did. But it's okay to find it a struggle, it is a shock to the system no matter how much you think you're prepared for it.

That is great ANgela.

X

Thank you so much for your good luck, got my results today, 16mm high grade DCIS removed. Margins were clear so was told I’d be sent an appointment for oncology to have radiotherapy. Came home and letter for hospital was here so appointment is this Friday. I’ve also been referred to genetics because of family history and me apparently being so young (41).

I’m so pleased but my head has been melted today, think he reality of it all kinda just kicked in.

Angela xx

Hi.

I posted the other day on newly diagnosed.was recommended to come here as I got my diagnosis today.

High grade dcis.having a masectomy .

I would be grateful if any off you having this diagnosis or similar going through this could post your story experience .

As I said on other post. Finding this place has been godsend helping me to face that appointment today and knowing when I got results that speaking to people who have had same diagnosis as me or same cancer will help me greatly at this time.

Thank you

Lucia

13 weeks since my surgery, and next week I get to find out about the radiation schedule.

Angela,

Good luck for your appointment today, hope you get good news.

I don't feel that I've been through all that much, I'm so thankful I've avoided chemo! So far everything has been doable, and always easier than I thought.

xx

Hugs to you both Dizzybee and PollyM xx

You two have both been through so much, I don’t really don’t know what to say but I’m human enough to know when ya don’t ya don’t spurt out some crap for the sake of saying it. I’ll be thinking of you both on the 17th, I got a call to go this Wednesday for an app so assume this is for pathology results after

I’m glad I joined this site but still working out how to use it or get notifications

Angela xx

Pollym 

I'll think of you on the 17th,  I'm  having my operation on the same day. Mine is very small compared to yours, but the fourth in fifteen months so I'll be glad to be done with it.

It has occurred to me that in having breast reduction, I may limit the chance of having a lumpectomy if I have a new primary on the good side. So fingers crossed I guess.

It's a good job you found your lump, DCIS doesn't usually form a lump. I didnt know anything about mine, despite it being 5cm. But the hospital shouldn't have missed yours, that's a bit worrying.

Hi Dizzybee

Yes, it is a bit of a pain although to be honest thinking about cancer never really went away thanks to yearly mammograms and almost 10 years of hormone therapy i.e. Tamoxifen and Letrozole!  And you're right it is very difficult to think of it in terms of good news but I suppose with everything else that it could have been it is better news!  The awful thing is that I had a mammogram in May which was reported as normal - this was an error from the hospital as I should have been recalled - it is only that I found a lump in October that they went back to the May mammograms and realised! 

Operation is next week on 17th November but go in on 16th November to have a dye injection for the sentinal node biopsy! xxx

Pollym

Oh bless you, that must be so hard to take when you've already had one bumpy ride on the rollercoaster.

I found it's really hard to get your head round the idea that you're supposed to be grateful that it's only DCIS, but in the next breath you're having to think about a mastectomy.  I was touch and go in terms of the amount that needed removing, but opted for lumpectomy in the end.

Sending you a hug, when is your operation?

xxx

Hi All,

Got to agree - it is cancer.  I am in the unenviable position of just having had a diagnosis of DCIS on the right hand side.  This is 10 years after having had a grade 2 invasive cancer with lymph node involvement on the left hand side!  I had the works: chemo, radiotherapy, mastectomy, ANC and Herceptin and hormone therapy.  In fact, I am still taking hormone therapy although if my DCIS is hormone receptive then I will no doubt have to change that! 

Fortunately my staging scans (to check whether my original cancer had also spread) were all clear so my DCIS is the only thing I have to deal with! (unless they find anything else when they operate!)

As I did not have recon on the left hand side, I am going for another mastectomy as that way I will achieve symmetry! :-)

When I tell people they keep saying that it is good news!  I know they mean well and certainly in relation to what I have already been through then maybe it is - but to get it twice and to have two mastectomies hardly seems like good news! In fact to have one mastectomy is definitely NOT good news!

Love and support to all! xxx