cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCIS and IDC

Community Champion

Re: DCIS and IDC

Lucia

Great to hear that you are over the op and back home again.

Cant help you on the other things as I did not have DCIS but I am sure someone will be along soon who might be able to help,

Helena xxx

Hi All ..Thank you all for asking after me. C

Had the surgery Monday got out off hospital yesterday. So it's one week today from op.

All went ok. So glad to be home. Doing my exercises and taking it easy. Walking around using arm ok but not lifting anything. Sleeping upright but if a pain. Plenty of support and help. Fingers crossed the recovery goes well. 

Just waiting on and dreading results from pathology hug h grade dcis but just worried you never know what could show up or lurking .

So my consultant is off this week so be next week i will get letter to go get results. So in last 21days i have been diagnosed biopsy scan and mastectomy node removal . Unreal. I can't get my head round that so quick but so glad that part is all done.

Any tips post operation most welcome . 

Hope everything going well with u all in recovery and surgery. 

Thanks again to you all as usual.

Does anyone know if it was only high grade dcis what next treatment would be really grateful for any replies.

Love Lucia xxxx

Glad to hear you have it over you and are home recovering

Angela xx

Hope all has gone well Lucia, wishing you a swift recovery.

I had my symmetrising surgery on Friday hopefully my last operation. I had to stay in for a couple of days as I kept bleeding, but all is well now.

Community Champion

Good luck Lucia -gosh that's short notice !!!

Lucia,

Only seen your post this morning, hope you’re ok and all goes well today.

Angela xx

Gosh Lucia! That’s not given you much time to plan or prepare for everything.  I expect that you have had a busy weekend.  My reconstruction was brought forward by two weeks but at least I had had a few months to get my head around it.

I hope everything goes well for you and that you will be home again before too long.  My mastectomy was nearly done as a day case except my carer didn’t fancy fetching me home and looking after me that night!  I went home the next morning so here’s hoping that everything goes as smoothly for you too. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Have a very big virtual hug from me.

Ezzie. X

Operation tomorrow.

Didn't expect it so quick just got letter late Friday afternoon.

It has been emotional since then. 

So hopefully all will go well.

Love to you all.

Lucia xx

Dizzybee and Polly M,

Thinking of you both for today and tomorrow for your ops. Hugs and hope all goes well

Angela xx

Thanks ezzie

That's what they are going to with me.

Hopefullywithin next few days I get a date.

So fingers crossed all goes well. Have to go get bras and hit boots for the non perfumed products for shower etc.

They think I will be in 3/4 days.  I am nearly sure she said fills are done as out patient.

Lucia

X

Hi Lucia,

I am pleased to hear that your appointment went well and you now have a plan.  It sounds a good plan as well.  I had an expander inserted between mastectomy and reconstruction - about 5 months.  Mine was partially filled at the time of my op and then I had two further top-ups over about 6 weeks.  A little bit at a time is the best way to go.

I hope they don’t keep you waiting too long for your op.

Ezzie. X

Went for appointment day.

Surgeon is going to do expander then fills later.

He thinks this is best for me at present as dcis is extensive and he recommends I go this route.

If I needed further treatment implant in at time off mastectomy would cause more problems. He could go ahead with implant if I wanted. I asked him what he would recommend for me and he said expander so I am taking his advice. 

So now waiting on date of surgery should know in next 5days when that is.

Nurse talked me through it all . But any of you been down that road off masectomy expander fills be grateful if you could let me know your experiences.

Lucia

Hi Lucia,

I hope all goes well with your appointment today and that you get a plan of action sorted.  Remember, if you think of something you should have asked but didn’t, call your BC nurse afterwards.

I am doing really well even though it is not quite 3 weeks post op yet.  I am having to force myself to take things easy otherwise I would be doing too much too soon for my own good.  I have found the emotional aspect difficult at times since my diagnosis but having had my op now, I seem to have made a lot of progress with that aspect. 🙂.  Like Kiki, I can now begin to see a new ‘normal’.  Hopefully you will be feeling the same before too long.

Ezzie. X

Hi all,

Can I ask hoe long after your WLE the steri strips came off. I’m not wanting them off or trying to take them off it’s just to know

Angela xx

Lucia,

Good luck for tomorrow and hope you get all the answers you need. Will be thinking of you

Angela xx

Thanks so much kiki.

Communicating with you having been through it is so good to know all these things. This has helped me a lot and to everyone on here sharing your experiences greatly eases things.

Lucia

My surgeon was really helpful at the discussion appointment, he went through all the options and explained the risks involved. The breast cancer nurse also showed me the photo album of before and after photos and my photos were taken as part of my treatment journey. Are you going for the single op with pigskin mesh and implant? This is what I had and means no further operations are needed. The surgeon told me at the time (3years ago) he had done 50 of these and had 2 fail (due to allergic reactions) so I decided the odds were fairly good! The other implant option is to have the implants which are gradually inflated and then later replaced (in a second op) with a permanent implant. I think the initial recovery is probably longer from the one I had but no further op needed (until implant fails in 10-15 years if I’m still here!)

I know there are risks in the effect on implant if you need radiotherapy but chances of needing this with DCIS I think are slim, but it might be worth asking whether it is likely. 

Ask how long you will be in hospital (I was in 2 nights) and make sure you will have district nurse visits once home because you go home with one or two drains still in. 

You will need to wear a bra 24/7 straight after op and will need very soft ones without wire. (Asda do a very comfy one which I still use now) 

Ask if they will be taking a sentinel node ( Just one key node) and whether this will be done through the same scar. If they do this they will inject the breast with a dye before the op and your wee will be green/blue for a couple of days after!! 

I know it’s a horrible time and I was in a state leading up to the op but I think you’ll feel calmer once the operation is done. All the best. Xx

Hi kiki.

Thanks for your reply much appreciated.

It's so good to hear you are 3years on and living life to the full.

It's all the uncertainty worry stage what ifs etc stage i am at.

To hear your back at work doing all things as normal gives me hope I will get through all this. 

Very up and down but trying to be positive .

Going on Wednesday to speak with consultant any advice what to ask.

Then after that I will just be waiting on date for operation.

Lucia

Hi Lucia, I had high grade DCIS like you in two areas with small breast size so I opted for a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implant. I’m really glad I did as it was all over with in one op. This was nearly 3 years ago now and I no longer have an awareness of the implant all the time but it does take a year to 18 months before you stop being aware of it all the time!! I had 8 weeks off work and then went back on a phased return. It is very uncomfortable to start with and you must do the exercises they give you. I didn’t need radiotherapy or chemo as my nodes were clear but they did put me on tamoxifen for 5 years as they found a 3mm invasive tumour when doing the mastectomy. Hope this is helpful, if you want to know anything else just ask. I now go running and play badminton again, doing a 10 K next Sunday, so life has got back to “normal” though it’s always at the back of your mind, but you stop thinking about it every day! Good luck! Xx

Thanks Ezzie.
How are things with you now.
Lucia