cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with DCIS who hasn't had radiotherapy??

Re: Anyone with DCIS who hasn't had radiotherapy??

Hi Mole

That was my understanding too, but this registrar was trying to persuade me not to bother. The cynic in me wonders if this is based purely on my clinical need or whether there is a hidden agenda such as cutting down on radiotherapy for patients who there are no clear cut guidelines. If he had categorically said that No, I didn't need it, i would be happier, but he said I could have it if I wanted it!! How confusing is that - nobody wants radiotherapy unless they need it??
I have just finished reading an article in the BMJ that says that wide variations in radiotherapy is sometimes because of shortage of equipment.

Cathy
X

my understanding is that if you have lumpectomy then radiotherapy is the gold standard whatever grade of cancer or DCIS

hello cathy
I was dx with DCIS and LCIS in May 07, had WLE and then mastectomy 2/1/08. My grade also intermediate, margins less than 1mm...........and no mention of radiotherapy at all ! I think they assume not necessary after mastectomy, but I was not ever given option after WLE (intermediate, good margins)last year. Perhaps that's why my lumps recurred. So perhaps play safe and take it, I certainly would have done.
It's horrible having to make all these decisions with no absolute clear guidance.
Good luck

Juliet

Anyone with DCIS who hasn't had radiotherapy??

HI

I was dx with a type of DCIS a few weeks ago and had WLE. I have just come from my initial appointment with the oncologist to discuss whether I need radiotherapy. As the tumour was small, good margins were achieved and good prognosis, he has basically left the choice of having radiotherapy up to me. The only sticking point is that the grade is intermediate - had it been low grade, definitely no radiotherapy and high grade more likely to need, but I am in the middle! Has anyone else just had surgery or heard any of the latest research regarding the need for radiotherapy in this situation?

Cathy