cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with DCIS who hasn't had radiotherapy??

Re: Anyone with DCIS who hasn't had radiotherapy??

I was diagnosed with DCIS affecting the left breast in November 2016. I had a mastectomy as it was high grade and at 4cm was a significant size in relation to my tiny 34AA breast. My lymph nodes were clear and I didn't need radiotherapy or any further treatment whatsoever. 

Hi Lizzy - can I ask how smal your DCIS was? Mine was (now excised) 7mm. I am 54 and in similar situation so would be very interested. Best wishes

Hi Cathy

I too have had intermediate. Following surgery I was told I would be 'offered' radio but the effectiveness against the harm is debateable.  I had my appt with onc fully expecting your scenario of its there if you want up to you, but now he is saying I should have the radio or go for a masectomy with reconstruction to reduce risk of recurrence.  I am totally confused also.  Do nothing and its a 30% risk of recurrence, 50% of that likely to be invasive.  Radio has its risks too and masectomy huge......is there anywhere where we can get some impartial advice??  I was all set for the no radio but now I am all confused again! 

Hi Cathy,

I had a mastectomy in April. I had 2 tumours that were DCIS and also a tiny amount of invasive cancer was found. I was grade 2 and intermediate. I was told that I did not need chemo or radiotherapy and just needed to take tamoxifen.

Trixy

Hi Annie,

That is good news to have an appt for Nov, but just curious, are you on Tamoxifen? as I had mx with immediate diep recon in Oct 09 and have no further treatment including not having tamox - just a load of other surgery, still going through that and next at hosp on mon.

Marjay

I had mastectomy due to high grade DCIS in November 2009. Too widespread (in breast) for anything but mx, but benefit was no radiotherapy or chemo (lymph nodes were all clear). I had reconstructive surgery at same time as mastectomy (LD flap). At 6 weeks I was signed off and have no further appointments until November 2010. New breast is a bit lumpy, but as it is a piece of my back, I can't imagine it is anything serious.

Wire assisted surgery usually means that the lump is very small, so hopefully you won't need radiotherapy.

I had a DCIS and had the operation , wire assisted yesterday and they let me come home 5 hours after. I am awaiting to get the letter to have the pathology results. The leaflet said people have radoptherapy but the surgeon said wait and see for thr results so that sounds like it is not inevitable and depends on each case.

Hi Tilly I was very interested to read your post and sorry calcifications were seen in your other breast it just surprised me that they were just going to keep an eye on it!!! did you have the tests you had before? hope I'm not being to nosey sorry if I am.

good luck love Linda x

I am glad you made this point, Nonny as I do feel that radiotherapy is believed incorrectly to be a safeguard against future cancer. It will only kill off cancer cells that exist after surgery and therefore will only be useful for that particular episode. Radiotherapy won't stop a new primary forming. Like you said, new cancer nothing to do with past DCIS, even if it had been in the same breast. I wish you well with your treatment and I would do exactly the same if in the same situation.

Hi

I was diagnosed with DCIS in January 2004 in my left breast and just had a WLE with no further treatment. Was diagnosed with Triple Negative BC January 2008 in right breast with node involvement, nothing at all to do with previous diagnosis. Elected to have double mastectomy purely because I did not want to be lopsided, and my left breast was completely clear.

Nonny

Just as an update, I've now been told I have some calcification on my other breast so they want to "keep an eye on it". Hopefully, that's all they'll need to do. Good luck to you all.

Hi all of you,

I had DCIS 5 years ago and made the decision to have a mastectomy. I'd been offered excision followed by Radiotherapy but couldn't face it. The doctor said that with a mastectomy, and clear sentinal node biopsy, I would not need radiotherapy. Thar was 5 years ago and I go for my 5 year mammogram next week! Wish me luck.

Hi Everyone,

I to had DCIS - extensive and had mx in oct with immediate diep recon. Pathology showed widespread disease with clear margins and lymph nodes. I was advised that it was not necessary for chemo or rads and that the risks of tamoxifen outweighed the benefits for me. I just hope that the MDT made the right decision for me, I guess I will just have to wait and see but may well bring the subject up again at my next appointment as I have a new consultant.

Maggie

Hi Everyone.

I had DCIS grade 2,and had mastectomy in Oct with reconstruction.It was found i had micro invasion so radiotherapy was recommended to me and Tamoxifen, i'm 47yrs.I've now completed the radiotherapy with little side effects,and am pleased that i was given this option. It is also my understanding that having radiotherapy is an added preventative measure against reoccurance,and you are getting 'gold standard'

Debs xxx

Hi Linda I am from East Sussex in a place called Cooden Beach. I am having the radioactive injection on the 30th and on the op day the guide wire will be inserted before surgery so she knows where she is going as my mass cannot be felt.Hopefully she gets it all in one go.
Mitzy my yorkie x terrier is 13 and is like a young pup, the other one is a nutty lab she is 9 and not so nimble. Please keep me informed re your tx. and I wish you all the bes.
Thanks for talking to me.
Cindy x

Oh facelady I did'nt mention how sweet your dog is I have a tibetan terrier who is 11 now and the little bichon which is in my photo they are just great and yes when out with them it is calming.

Linda x

Hi facelady what area are you from? I'm having my marking up done the same day you have your op. I had to have 2 ops to get a wide enough margin and having Arimdex and rads but another lady in our age range only had the one and no other treatment so I wish you all the best for the 31st.

Linda x

Hi Linda
I also hope I will one day wake up and not think cancer although I am assured it will happen. I was dx Feb 2010 with DCIS G3 and was told I would have aWLE and SNB and a few zaps and I will be fine.I am going in for op on 31st March next Wed. I really really want this thing out but the waiting goes on and on. Good days and bad mostly bad. I am in your age group and yes walking the dogs along the beach is my feelgood therapy. I hope you soon get on your rad treatment and this horrible place we are in will get brighter.
Facelady xx

Hi I was dx in nov 09 with dcis I had op early dec but margins not wide enough so had another op and they got a clear margin its all a waiting game (not good as I like to get things sorted now) so this seems to be going on for ever yesterday had appointment at st lukes cancer centre Guildford(that was scary made me reaise yes I am a cancer patient) parking horrendous by the way, anyway thought I was going to get marked up for rads but it was just for a chat have to have a CT scan first so I was told rads won't be started approx another month oh my god just want to get the rads done been told 5 weeks rads mon-wed-fri! anyone else had this.

By reading these posts I seems a little unusual as I am 60 on arimidex and having rads but bring it on I say rather have the rads for huge peace of mind.

Had a bad day today yesterday was just to much will I ever wake up and think of anything else but cancer.
Went for a walk with the dogs which did help a little.

Take care love Linda xxx