322510posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My anxiety has hit me like a bus!

10 REPLIES 10

Re: My anxiety has hit me like a bus!

Thankyou for your advice I really appreciate you both taking the time to reply, I do feel much better after surgery now....general anaesthetic is a bugger!!

I have now been put in Tamoxifen which iv been taking for just over a week but my onc is pushing for me to switch to Zolodex and Estemestane (not sure how it’s spelled)...I’m concerned of the side effects e.g severe depression, osteoporosis, increased anxiety....as an anxiety and depression sufferer I’m worried that I’m not going to be able to cope with it, the positive to the zolodex and Estemestane is it guarantees to cut my risk of reccurance in half...does anyone have any personal experience with any of these hormone therapies that could help me decide what to do? 

Xxx

Hi Carol-Ann, big hugs to you first of all. Your nurse is correct, but also you are probably suffering the after effects of general anaesthetic. I didn’t understand why I couldn’t stop crying after my op and someone explained about GA. hope that leaves your body soon and that you start day by day to feel a bit better. Do chat away on here if I or others can help. 

Evie xx

Hi there,

I feel im in the same boat, my chemo finished in June and its been a week since my op and i have done nothing but cry since.  I spoke to one of my nurses and she said the enormity of what we have been through tends to hit us after chemo cause when we are going through chemo all we can concentrate on is getting through it.

Lots of hugs xx 

Hi Clairbear - you made perfect sense! I and many many other ladies will relate to what you say, and I could have written your message myself. Everyone is different and manages the worry differently - but what you are saying is very very normal. You didn’t ramble on at all - this is the best place to come to offload, chat and discuss thoughts and concerns. Do continue to chat if it helps. Try to take one day at a time at the moment, try some mindfulness. You found the strength to get through the treatment so far and none of us, with or without BC, knows what could be round the corner in the future. Sending you hugs and strength, Evie xx

Thankyou for your reply Evie, 

i am recovering well and got told Ian in remission 🙏🏼...I am so happy about that but I don’t know why I have so much doubt in my mind, I feel like I could still be taken away suddenly or the doctors have over looked something, I know that might sound strange lol, I feel like I’m on a rollercoaster, good days and days I feel like my cancer isn’t really gone. Am I making sense to you? Writing this makes me sounds crazy ha ha....

i don’t know if anyone else has experienced these mixed emotions or it’s just me so I thought I’d put it out there incase someone else is feeling the same and are worrying just like me.

i feel guilty for being cancer free and feel like I’m batting my own mind...I know these are just thoughts and being an anxious Annie only adds the muffled mind ha ha. 

im hoping it gets easier as the days go on and eventually get back to not having cancer as the only thought in the front of my mind...I’m lucky having my children as a distraction but looking at them makes me feel guilty that I’m going to get taken by cancer 🙈 

sorry to off load I didn’t realise how much iv rambled on and probably not made a lot of sense.

♥️

Hi Clairbear - I am almost certain that the anxiety and “down” feeling is caused by the anaesthetic you had. I felt exactly the same as you did after my op. I didn’t know at the time that anaesthetic could hit you like that and for a while after having it, but found out later and that explained a lot to me. Also you will be suffering fatigue and maybe pain so lots of reasons why you feel anxious and down at the moment. I hope you will start to feel better very soon - but if not have a word with your BCN or chat on here or wherever you feel you can offload. In the meantime, try to be very kind and gentle with yourself - lots of rest and treats, and get outside for a short walk when you feel up to it.

Sending hugs to you.

Evie xx

My results were all fine, they said it was all infection related and nothing to worry about. I am having a scan in August just to double check my lung is clear. 

i had my lumpectomy on Tuesday and I was told the op went smoothly and my lymph nodes tested negative, I was so happy for a couple of days after the op but I have felt so much anxiety lately and can’t understand why I’m not still happy with the brilliant result of surgery? 

I have my follow up appt in 2 weeks for all the results 🤞...has anyone else felt down and anxiety ridden after surgery? 

Hi Clairbear85 - I wondered how you are feeling and how your results meeting and scan went this week? What you are feeling is totally normal - horrible but normal. You get the diagnosis and very quickly are on the treadmill of treatment without having time to think - which is great, but hard at the same time. This is why forums like this one are so good - everyone on here understands what you say without you having to explain or apologise. Sending you my best wishes and a big hug for your next stages of treatment.

Evie xx

Thankyou for your reply Sue...

i will try to rest more, iv found that since I had my last chemo I have tried to get back to normalish faster than I usually do and iv probably burned myself out...it’s hard to rest with 3 kids haha, the youngest 11months nearly and very curious....I think I’m finding that having all the same scans as I did at the beginning of diagnosis has thrown me back to square one in my mind, I’m now dredding if they say it’s spread while waiting for treatment to start...🤞....there was no evidence of metases from my ultrasound but obviously the PET scans the whole body! 

Community Champion

Hi 

I think all the treatment and tests can be overwhelming at this time, and no wonder your anxiety increases. Also, the fatigue can have an a big impact. I had wobbles during rads as I was just so fed up with all the treatments and sooo tired.

Rest as much as possible and look after yourself. Take one day at a time and things will improve I'm sure. 

Sending hugs xx

My anxiety has hit me like a bus!

Hello....

i have finished my chemo on the 9/5/19...I was diagnosed in Oct 18 with 18mm IDCS..IDC...HER2+ 3+...

the last week has been an emotional slide for me, my anxiety has decided it was to take over my mind and throw it in the bin 🙈

Iv had an ultrasound Which confirmed a positive response to chemo...iv had an mri which I’m getting my results from tomorrow at my surgeon meeting and a PET scan on Tuesday...my surgery is booked for June and I start herceptin at the end of the month.

Could my anxiety and low mood be because of the scans etc or has anyone else felt this wobble this kind of time after chemo??

Thanks in advance for reading 🙂