Re: Weekly paclitaxel (taxol) and hair loss

I did not realise how useful eyelashes are.. Eyes kept watering and sunlight was difficult so bought an assortment of sunglasses.i suppose eyelashes shield the eyes from dirt and light! . Mine grew back.

Nan 66, I hadnt thought about  eyelaheses falling out - do they grow back?  Thanks 

Should've said hi tomcat not go! Predictive text

Go Tomcat. Thanks for that. I'm around day 18 post first taxol so I'm expecting hair loss anytime soon and I do get a lot of pain at the minute- almost like having bobble in too long and too tight and as though my head is being raked when my fingers go through it- I think it won't be too much longer and yes, once it starts coming out then it's being shaved. I've already cut it about three inch shorter than I would normally. Good luck with treatment x

Yes jeanniem that would be good. Wishing you all that best x

[ Edited ]

With regard to the hair hurting, I hope you don't mind me chipping in.

I had two weekly AC four times and now I am on 12 one weekly Taxol (just had the first).

My hair started going on day 14 of the first treatment.

In areas where the hair is concetnrated (like on the head) it does hurt when it is falling out. Its sort of like an irritating electric shocking pins and needles. It is the reason a lot of people cut short and then shave. When the hair on the head moves (if you put your hand through it etc) it really hurts.

I cut my hair short before chemo and I shaved it the moment it started to fall as it drove me crazy!! Its not terrible but its bloody irritating!

I only shaved it once and I have lost most of it and have some stubble in the other areas. Those still tingle a bit but as the concentration becomes less it hurts less.

I have lost pubic hair and underarm hair and leg hair and these haven't hurt at all as the concentration isn't so much in one place.

The funniest thing is remembering I need less than a drop of shampoo! It is so automatic. My head doesn't hurt and isn't dry. Actually my skin is lovely and smooth with chemo.

Hi Danmac
I am about to start taxol and herceptin treatment next week 5th March and was told by doctor that I would have hair loss so was expecting it to happen straightaway. It would be good to keep in touch with you as we are making same journey. I have heard that the scalp tingles before hair falls out. As your scalp is itchy is there are lotion you can put on it to sooth it which won't mess the hair up? Also do you use organis shampoo during treatment?
Jeannie

I had several months gap after first chemo and hair was growing back nicely and then 9 weekly taxol and hair went thin and I had hardly any eyebrows or eyelashes left. They disappeared after I had finished! That took me by surprise..consequently I had sore eyes and used viscotears. However everyone seems to react differently. My nails were fine after using suntan cream.. Slight problem with finger tips and toes that took a few weeks to return to normal. but SE for me were minimal. I was very tired. I really hope you too can keep most of your hair. My oncologist warned me I could lose it all but I didn't. I did not have herceptin. Hope this helps.

I had several months gap after first chemo and hair was growing back nicely and then 9 weekly taxol and hair went thin and I have hardly any eyebrows or eyelashes left. They disappeared after I had finished! That took me by surprise..consequently I had sore eyes and used viscotears. However everyone seems to react differently. My nails were fine after using suntan cream.. Slight problem with finger tips and toes that took a few weeks to return to normal. but SE for me were minimal. I was very tired. I really hope you too can keep most of your hair. My oncologist warned me I could lose it all but I didn't. I did not have herceptin.

Weekly paclitaxel (taxol) and hair loss

Hi I am 33 currently on a regime of weekly taxol and 3 weekly herceptin. This is my first chemo and I see that most people have had some chemo before they start their weekly taxol.
I am week 3 out of 12 and wanted to know about hair loss experience. I have had a tender scalp for about a week with itchiness but no thinning or loss as yet. I realise I am only day 16 post 1st cycle and wondered if anyone had experienced hair loss on this regime? I have read a lot about fatigue and peripheral neuropathy- and am experiencing mouth ulcers and a funny film in my mouth, along with facial flushing out of the blue. Any comments on experiences would be most welcome.
Many thanks xxxx