Re: Weekly paclitaxel (taxol) and hair loss

Hi there Bellamia! I didn't work during treatment and still don't at the min as I'm a hospice nurse and the environment hasn't been right for me/ I'm mainly suffering anxiety and having cognitive behavioural therapy. Are you having herceptin also?
My hair started shedding around week 5 I think so I shaved it off. I lost all my eyebrows and lashes towards the back end of chemo.
Are you on the younger breast cancer network on Facebook? Ybcn uk for women 45 and under. I was 32 at diagnosis. I do have email but not sure how to let you know it in private?? X

Danmac10 Did you work? Did you lose your hair? So many questions?! Do you have an email, maybe that would be easier if you don't mind? You are the only person I found so far with the same treatment as me... It would be comforting to speak with you 💗 Thank you for responding .

Hi there Bellamia!
Good luck with the start of your treatment. I finished my chemo mid May last year and have just finished my herceptin last Wednesday. I haven't been on here for a while but if there's anything I can help you with let me know. It is very doable xx
Community Champion

Hi Bella ,

the last post on this thread was a while ago (about 12 months) the ladies may not be on the forum much anymore if you head over to the chemotherapy monthly threads you can join the March starters for people who are staring chemo in March, you can also pop into the other months threads to ask questions from those further along Smiley Happy

Jen x

Danmac10

I am 37 yrs old and start my regimen today of weekly taxol x12 and herceptin every 3 weeks X 1 yr. I will be receiving both today. I would love to stay in touch being we are on the same journey

I am 37 yrs old and start my regimen today of weekly taxol x12 and herceptin every 3 weeks X 1 yr. I will be receiving both today. I would love to stay in touch being we are on the same journey

Dear All

Just sending you all a gentle reminder about our daily Live Chat service - Talk Together. This is a private chat room where you can talk to others who are also facing breast cancer in confidence.

Talk Together takes place every weekday from 12.30 – 1.30pm and will not be moderated or accompanied by a nurse. If you would like to register or find out more information then please visit

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/talk-together

We hope that you enjoy using the service and that you find it help.

Thank you

June, moderator

Hi nan66. It is strange but it isn't bothering me yet but then I've not ventured out. I just keep walking by the mirror and forgetting! I have a selection of bandanas from Bohemia and wore a little sleep cap last night. It's my eyelashes I am dreading as they are really long and are a major Facial feature for me. Keep reminding myself it is all temporary and we will fight this xxxx

I'm so sorry to hear about your hair loss. I lost mine with FEC. I know a lot of ladies are quite comfortable without but I wore a wig when I went out and found it worked very well. Had no problems with it. The fringe hid the no eyebrows. I used 'hats' from suburban turban at home.

Just to update everybody... I had my 4th taxol (and 2nd herceptin) on Friday and yesterday (day 23 post 1st taxol) my hair was coming out thick and fast. If I ran my fingers through my hair it was all coming out. I couldn't stand it and my head was hurting. My sister came and shaved it off. She said my scalp looked sore and swollen and the hair was so thin. I don't know if it would've all come out but the speed and volume it was happening was freaking me out. My nephew said I had gaps in my eyebrows too- I think he may be right but they are fine anyway.

Hi nanmaste. Thanks for that info. I have heard about nose hair etc which I never thought about before! I was so bunged up the other night I couldn't breathe and then wondered what would happen to all the mucous and dust etc if it went? It's my 4th taxol tomorrow and I think my hair is thinning- it certainly seems a lot 'flatter' and my eyelashes this morning felt almost fuzzy and not as long when I put mascara on. My main symptoms at the min are fatigue- especially four days after, mucositis and bad ulcers which are very sore when swallowing, film like feel in mouth, and generally feeling like my bones are 90 years old. I ache really bad!!! I have had flushing face and acne but I think that's the Iv dexamethaosne- certainly the spots were and they have been controlled on duac cream. If my hair thins badly then it's all going. I can't live wih patchy hair. I've already cut it ALOT shorter than I have in the past. I'll just watch and wait. Thanks again x

I had weekly taxol last year. I think my head hair started going after the 3rd dose but it never completely went. I did cut it very short and it got very thin, but didn't disappear. What did go completely was all my other hair. I wear glasses so the loss of eyelashes didn't affect me too badly. What really made a difference was losing my nose hair. I didn't realise how important it was till it wasn't there! Hope everything goes well for you xx

That is what am dreading most. Not just because I will look so different but because i also wear contact lenses and will be really prone to infections. I'm getting very dry eyes at the min and wearing glasses most days plus gel tears x

I did not realise how useful eyelashes are.. Eyes kept watering and sunlight was difficult so bought an assortment of sunglasses.i suppose eyelashes shield the eyes from dirt and light! . Mine grew back.

Nan 66, I hadnt thought about  eyelaheses falling out - do they grow back?  Thanks 

Should've said hi tomcat not go! Predictive text

Go Tomcat. Thanks for that. I'm around day 18 post first taxol so I'm expecting hair loss anytime soon and I do get a lot of pain at the minute- almost like having bobble in too long and too tight and as though my head is being raked when my fingers go through it- I think it won't be too much longer and yes, once it starts coming out then it's being shaved. I've already cut it about three inch shorter than I would normally. Good luck with treatment x

Yes jeanniem that would be good. Wishing you all that best x

[ Edited ]

With regard to the hair hurting, I hope you don't mind me chipping in.

I had two weekly AC four times and now I am on 12 one weekly Taxol (just had the first).

My hair started going on day 14 of the first treatment.

In areas where the hair is concetnrated (like on the head) it does hurt when it is falling out. Its sort of like an irritating electric shocking pins and needles. It is the reason a lot of people cut short and then shave. When the hair on the head moves (if you put your hand through it etc) it really hurts.

I cut my hair short before chemo and I shaved it the moment it started to fall as it drove me crazy!! Its not terrible but its bloody irritating!

I only shaved it once and I have lost most of it and have some stubble in the other areas. Those still tingle a bit but as the concentration becomes less it hurts less.

I have lost pubic hair and underarm hair and leg hair and these haven't hurt at all as the concentration isn't so much in one place.

The funniest thing is remembering I need less than a drop of shampoo! It is so automatic. My head doesn't hurt and isn't dry. Actually my skin is lovely and smooth with chemo.

Hi Danmac
I am about to start taxol and herceptin treatment next week 5th March and was told by doctor that I would have hair loss so was expecting it to happen straightaway. It would be good to keep in touch with you as we are making same journey. I have heard that the scalp tingles before hair falls out. As your scalp is itchy is there are lotion you can put on it to sooth it which won't mess the hair up? Also do you use organis shampoo during treatment?
Jeannie