Re: Weekly paclitaxel (taxol) and hair loss

Hi Lindyloo Ho Bonnie
Hi thanks for your replies regards to the facial flushing. It does seem to be a common issue. I’ll mention it before my next weekly cycle. Will ask about the Aveeno and QV cream too. I have some Factor 50 somewhere so will dig that out and start using it daily. Great advice. . X

I have the same problem and today the nurse at the chemo day unit gave me a couple of creams that should help. They ar ethe Aveeno moisturing cream and QV cream. Both were free so I don't have to do to the shops! Worth a try. I also use sun cream factor 50 whatever the weather when I go out and that helps

Hi CDC regarding red face it is down to the steroids they give you before the treatment. I have the same problem for a couple of days after each treatment think I had been out too long in the sun.

Hi I started my first of nine weekly Packlitaxel yesterday. I had to change to this regime after my first dose of docetaxel (after 4 cycles of AC) caused a severe reaction - hand/foot syndrome and ) could hardly walk spuds to blistered and sore feet.
I, not worried about hair so much as mine started growing back recently so I imagine even if Inkose it again it won’t take too long to to grow back. I want to ask if anyone has had a bright red face whilst on P? I thought I wa having a hot flush this morning but my face (and chest area to a lesser extent) has remained bright red! I could stop traffic! At least with the hand/foot syndrome the redness was less noticeable to others! Just hoping it will go down soon as I don’t want to look this way for another 8 weeks!!

Cold capping can be very effective, I've been using one, you wear 30 mins before chemo and up to 90 mins after, wearing hats after treatment or sun glasses on your head does not affect result?. I've had 6 sessions so far, no hair loss

I'm sure it works. Just the process is very strict. Blew me away with the care process involved.. not everyone loses there hair during chemo either. I'm happy that people found something that works for them. Smiley Happy

Research is not the same as doing.

I'm halfway through paclitaxel and my hair is thickening up again . I cold capped through 4x EC and the heatwave and have kept at least 75% of my hair.

Another lady I saw had 12 weeks of paclitaxel cold capped throughout and lost nothing.

Cold Caps seem very strick, the process requires alot of effort not only during but months after to be effective. Just one hat on a cold night or your sunglass held on top of your head to ruin its effect. Call a company they will explain the nuances. Perjeta is a targeted drug used to fight her2 positive breast cancer. Herceptin does the same as I've seen people asking above. They are taken in combo with chemo drugs usually taxol or taxotere as well as carboplatin. My wife was going to attempt cold caps but was turned off after the process was explained. Good luck all and I'm pretty well versed ask a question I'm done my research

what brand of cold cap and what is an alice band?

I had great relief from neuropathy with acupuncture.

taxole hair loss and cold capping

If you did cold capping, what brand did you use? Was the cold bearable?

Hi I am on week 2 of taxol I have been told I will loose my hair and I won't so only time will tell, didn't try the cold cap it out so much time on your treatment.

i looked at it like this treatment is hopefully saving my life so what is loosing hair it will go back.

i am 62 not a young person which I could imagine effecting more.

never hear of this perjeta will look it up.

i am on same treatment as you plus I am have a acid injection every 6 months for 3 years.

after the taxol I am to have radiation therapy but haven't asked how many etc will cross that bridge when I come to it.

i wish you well in your journey I haven't found mine to bad yet and will keep you updated on my hiarloss if any I have been told week 2/3 .

take care cin up.

🙏😜

Re my journey.

Hello I am new to this just joined today don't normally join anything like this, but thought I would put my experience down as I have read loads and found some very useful.

all so a lot I have found are years old.

so to start I had 2 breast lumps one which I found and say someone sent it to me, you see my brother has just died of prostrate cancer , which could have been avoided. It's a long story which I am not going into details but 

if some one at some hospital had passed a message on to his doctors 2 years ago he would still be hear.

we are not miracle  works and mistakes happen. 

So one morning i woke up to a very small lump on my left breast thought Nothing of it and would normally have not gone straight to the Docters, my normal thoughts would have been it a little cyst and will go away in a few weeks.

but no due to my brother I went straight away, with in 10 days I was at hospital having all usual test!

to my amazement with in 7 hours I had had I don't know how many mammograms, scans and a biopsy.

my head was blown away. They actually found 2 lumps and as it happen there was a big one at the back grade 3 already and as they put it didn't like the look of it and it was hiding away, thank goodness for the small one who I say God sent. Someone did anyways.

long story short had to have 2 operations, found to be connected to the prostrate cancer have all the receptors family now having gene testing. My brother just died at 68, my father at 62, his brother 94 that's good there dad at 78 and his father at 50ish. I am the only girl in the family .

i am now on 3 weekly herceptin and Taxol every week for 12/18 weeks depends on how I deal with it. 

Also I am on a injection every 6 months to protect it from going into my bones or hopefully kill any that might already be there, only time will tel.

my effects do far are last week on tues had my first dose of all 3 lol.

tues ok Wednesday well hyper they said it was the steroids. Thursday what a come down where had all my 

energy gone felt really off ache all the time felt like really bed flue didn't like food Didn't taste sane at all, coffee tasted awful so got a lot of juice in.

found out with not having as much coffees got bad head so now drink a bit more must have been lack of caffeine.

friday wasn't as bad as Thursday but still not good, sat came to a bit had a lie down afternoon so I could go to my sons BQ after football he had just arrived home he works abroad and it was his birthday 6th he was 35 my middle one.

sunday managed church for a few hours had  BQ we had people over from Chicago but came home felt achyand a bit off Monday not to bad. 

Today Tues was my second dose of just taxol went well but was very tired, so went to bed when I came home and apparently you could hear me snoring down stairs, so will see what tomorrow brings.

really hope this helps someone just starting and I will continue to put on every week, I do really say how it is no sugar coating I can't see the point. So far I have found it's no where near as

Hi teach124, I am on week 6 of paclitaxel. I haven’t lost my hair but I am cold capping. I hear that most people lost in the first two weeks if they are going to at all but I may be wrong. I am also her2 positive and tali herceptin every 3 weeks for a year. I haven’t been given perjeta and just wondered if you are taking that as part of a trial or for other reasons. I had a 15mm Tumoir removed before starting chemo, no nodes involved. My treatment plan is paclitaxel for 12 weeks and herceptin for a year. Should I question about perjeta? Thank you
Highlighted
Community Champion

Thank you ladies..am rubbing cbd balm into my fingers, however, am on a reduced dose already, so not a lot of choice....still have numb feet from 2001 ...

mx

Hi ladies the muscle aches and pains are quite painful at times mine seem to start around treatment 6 of 12 hot baths seemed to relieve this a bit and some painkillers; I also had the itching in both arms and the antihistamines seemed to help a bit also some unperfumed moisturiser, hang in there girls it all seems to ease off a few weeks when chemo is complete xx

Hi Moijan

Sorry for the delay just seen your message but thought I'd reply. My mum is on this regimen and last one Thursday (countdown!) however she has started getting sore muscles, bearable but more so tightness in her joints.

Side effects wise other than tiredness mum was fine untill about two weeks ago when she got a rash on her arm that was a bit inflamed but has died down but is still itching her like mad! oncologist wasn't alarmed and just advised her to take the steroid cream and Antihistamine and upped mum's pre meds, hope you feel better xxxx
Community Champion

Re Paclitaxel ....doany of you get sore, aching muscles at all’? I find under my bra straps and along under my bra at the back is very tender.

also I get a reddish arm on the 3rd day which I thought could be cellulitis, but don’t think so now as it goes away...but my arm muscles hurt if I do too much.

be greateful to hear if others had the same?

thank you

Moijanx

Message for Teach 124 - I have just had third cycle of epicirubicin and cyclophosphamide and will then receive Herceptin and Perjeta with - Docetaxel, I would prefer Paclitaxel to Docetaxel but am told I cannot have that combination, can you please tell me where you are receiving your treatment?  I have a DCIS and HER2 pos.  I hope you are doing well.

Best wishes

Do mention numbness to your oncs - if it gets too bad, it may not be reversible after treatment. I still get neuropathy in my finger tips and toes - over 6 months since chemo finished. I'm now on herceptin injections and asked onc if it was this which was causing it but she confirmed no - it would be lingering effects from chemo! I'm so hopeful it will go eventually.

Another good cream for sore hands and feet is the udderly smooth (with urea) - you can purchase on line. Also bathing in epsom salts is good.