319591posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triple Negative cancer

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Triple Negative cancer

Thanks for the reply and its good to hear from someone else with a similar diagnosis.  I guess it’s wise not to think too far ahead and it’s  better to focus on getting through the chemo sessions as best we can.  I’m learning every day how to cope with things .

I really hope everything goes well for you .  You’re right about the chemo, apparently it is really effective on TNBC. Take care and thanks again for the response.

Hi

I was diagnosed with TNBC on May at 34 years old.It was 24mm tumour which after MRI might have turned to be 58mm overall.I had genetics test done -still waiting for results- since I have a strong family history of BRCA 1 mutation. Anyway,I am on 4 x EC and 4 x Carboplatin+Placitaxel followed by surgery -we will discuss options after EC cycle when I am expected to know about treatment response and genetics results...

It is scary to search about TNBC but also know that chemo seems to do a fine job with it and also that after 5 years it has the same recurrence percentage than others -or that's what I heard. So ask your team but focus on treatment and recovery, think statistics are just numbers based on a limited group of people and percentages are improving as we speak .

Big hugs ❤️

Because I went privately for the test, I had an hour's consultation with a geneticist before I decided to have the test.  Triple Negative doesn't necessarily mean I have the BRCA gene, it may just be one of those things.  I also have a daughter so was keen to see if there are any potential implications.  Knowledge is power and if the tests prove positive, then decisions can be made.  Fingers crossed you have a positive response to the chemo - I'm keeping busy by working and enjoying Wimbledon!

Thank you for your response, and I hope your treatment goes quickly for you, it all sounds very encouraging.   To be honest ,  I am worried that my gene test is positive as I believe it puts you at higher risk of other cancers and also has an impact on your children.  On a positive note, I am sure that I (and my children) will be under the radar much more if this is the case .  I should be seeing my oncologist again soon so want to make sure that I ask all these questions that are niggling away at me.

thanks again

I am also triple negative and was told I had a 2 cm tumour and 2 infected lymph nodes.  Just finished 4 x EC treatment and my ultrasound showed the tumour had shrunk so much it wasn't showing on the scan and the lymph nodes are now clear (as far as they can see).  Just started 12x weekly Paclitaxol and Carboplatin with a view to an op after chemo is finished.

Waiting for my gene test results to see if I have the BRCA mutation (apparently I didn't qualify on NHS as I am 61 rather than 60 (!!)) so I've paid for the test privately.

When I saw my oncologist following the ultrasound he told me that my future with triple negative was determined more by my response to this treatment rather than having a full mastectomy.

Very encouraged by my response so Triple Negative isn't the end of the world as far as I'm concerned.  Just got to grit my teeth and get through the next 11 weeks of chemo. .....

Highlighted

Triple Negative cancer

Hi. I just wanted to hear from anyone with a similar diagnosis to myself and become more informed about it.  I’m 59 and in good health but was diagnosed with stage 2 TNBC a month a go.  Initially I was told that the tumor was 3cm but after the MRI scan it was confirmed as being 6.5 cm.  There are no indications that it was entered the lymph nodes.  My treatment is 7 x EC , surgery then radiotherapy.  My first chemo was last Thursday and I felt ill all week until yesterday when I started to feel more ‘normal’ . My work has been great and I have been overwhelmed with support from so many friends and family.  

It’s  impossible not to ‘google’ information on line but it would help if anyone out there had a similar diagnosis so we could exchange worries and experiences.  When I’m googling TNBC, the words ‘aggressive’  ‘high rate of reoccurrence’ and ‘cancer gene carrier’ keep coming up.(I’ve had the test but the results take 10 -12 weeks) 

Obviously I will be asking these questions to my oncologist at the next appointment, but any positive feedback would be great.

thanks