cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neo-adjuvant chemotherapy

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Neo-adjuvant chemotherapy

Hi Becsann

Sorry about the delay in replying to. I had my first chemo session on Feb 8th followed by the second one on March 1st.. After the 1st session I was fairly tired, the 5th day being the worst. I'm in the Feb group and we all had the same problem with the 5th  day. After both sessions I just had slight constipation and indigestion so have stayed well. Some of the Feb group have had worse  problems which hopefully be resolved. Why not pop into the feed as it can sometimes help to see how others have coped. In my case to prevent such a drop in energy the onc reduced the steroid meds from 3 to 2 days after chemo and I wad much better.Like you rads or further chemo after sugeryto be deciced. Are you in the March feed? If so I'll try to remember to pop in occasionally.   

Hi Susie

That's the approach my team took with my large triple negative tumour.  I was originally told to expect a mastectomy due to the size...after 2 doses of FEC the tumour had shrunk by 2/3rds.  When I saw the surgeon again after chemo round 4, he said it would only be a lumpectomy, and it had shrunk so much there should be no noticeable difference in breast size Smiley Happy

I'm glad they took this approach, although the treatment has put me in hospital twice (I felt absolutely fine while in, it was a slight infection that put me there both times).  I've been switched to weekly chemo now which is easier to tolerate.

If you respond well to chemo you will hopefully have a really really small amount that needs to be removed.

Hi Susie B

I started chemo last Friday, I have 6 cycles planned, then surgery and then it’s decided about rads.

i have gone with the surgeon and oncologist recommendation. Its the same plan to shrink the tumour which I understand, well as much as you can understand when everything is being said to you. 

Have you started chemo yet and how are you feeling? x

Hi Susie 

I know whet you mean re brain, mine has started to normalise again. 

Yes I did feel the tumour disappear, mine was midline across my nipple, so my nipple was inverted. 

Nopple started to pop out after chemo 3 of EC, once was very pleased. I had mixed DCIS and IDC, Er + Her -. 

Clinically you could feel the tumour shrink, Scans never reflected it. 

Surgeon said it came away very clean, so the chemo did it’s job. 

Radiotherapy is going well, starting to get tinged skin, I’m moisturising straight after treatment, and drinking plenty of water. 

Good luck with your treatments Susie, most of the ladies in my Wednesday chemo club were neo adjuvant, 2 ladies I know were adjuvant, had issues and had to increase their chemo sessions. 

Lots of love 

Please don’t feel you are Billy no mates! 

I am HER2+ so they recommend Neo-adjuvant chemo. My lump DCIS 24 mm has definitely reacted to the chemo so I will be having a lumpectomy next month after 4 docetaxel, Herceptin + Perjeta followed by 3 EC. I am also on a trail to monitor the effectiveness of this form of treatment.

I understand that as HER2 + is more aggressive and more likely to create secondaries they need to react fast. Herceptin is a game changer in the treatment of HER2+ and I will be getting a further 13 shots.

Interestingly on my chemo thread, Oct 18 most of us were neo-adjuvant and we are now facing our various ops together! 

Very best wishes

Kathyx 

Sorry, my predictive text keeps morphing your name. Ok got it this time

Hi Kathy's

Snap! Your lump was the same size as mine. I must say I am surprised that there seem to so very few of us having chemo followed by surgery. I've volunteered to go on the ROSCO trial and if I get the correct  chemo drugs for my particular lump ( It's HER2, but there seem to be different sub divisions within it, sorry I don't understand all the technical stuff), some respond better to FEC, others TC the lump should shrink or even disappear. Not too sure about the disappearing act.   I've been randomised - what lovely expression -  and have been selected to have 4 cycles of FEC then surgery if onc is satisfied with the result.. My question is the same as on my other post, which is, could you detect you lump getting smaller as each chemo session didi its stuff?

Thanks for getting back to me.☺ I was feeling a bit like Billy no mates☹

Hi monicanatura,

Thanks for the reply. Silly me,  you replied to an earlier feed that I put on the newly diagnosed forum and didn't twig that you were doing the same as me. I'm sure this BC does things to your brain. I just wanted to know if you could either feel your tumour getting smaller or change in anyway. After my first round it feels as though Gremlim has changed in some way but I'm not sure. Don't want to get my hopes up. Gremlim was discovered at 21x18mm, so fairly small, with some lymph node involvement the same as yourself. Also just another question, we all get so worried about chemo, but how does radiotherapy compare?

Hope the rest of your treatment goes well.☺xx

I had a 2.1cm lump with no node involvement and then I had 3 cycles of EC followed by 8 cycles of Taxol and then a lumpectomy and SNB - the chemo gave me a complete clinical response which made the lumpectomy quite minimal. I'm very happy to have had it that way round.

Hi Susie 

I’m in a similar situation, I had 4 cycles of EC, then 12 weeks of paclitaxal. Followed by surgery in December, now I’m having Radiotherapy. 

I had a large tumour with lymph node involvement, Oncologist recommended Neo adjuvant, to shrink the tumour. 

I responded well to chemo, however the surgeon got everything out. 

I have spoken to women who have either had neo adjuvant, or Adjuvant chemo. Lots of different mixed reactions. 

I’m happy to have had neo, it shrunk my nodes significantly and I had clean margins. 

Hope that helps. 

Lots of love 💖 

Neo-adjuvant chemotherapy

Hi everyone

Is there anybody out there who has, or is currently having chemotherapy prior to surgery? I have a fairly small tumour which my onc hopes will shrink significantly. I am currently with the February 19 starters group but am the only one😟 having chemo followed by surgery (lumpectomy and some lymph node removal), followed by more chemo if necessary. It would be nice to 'talk' to someone in the same situation.