Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Goodbye Smelly 🐽 Pits!!

8 REPLIES 8
Community Champion

Re: Goodbye Smelly 🐽 Pits!!

Hello Multitasker,

At last, another person who has experienced similar on both sides.  I had chemo before any other treatment. I  also did a search to find info when I noticed, to no avail.  As stated in my  original post, I also asked Onco but he just gave me one of his bemused looks and said he was unaware of such matters apart from radiotherapy affecting on the treated side..  No doubt chemo has an effect on our odour producing and eating bacteria! 

Best wishes to you,

Chick.

Community Champion

Hello Holeinone,

Just to clarify - my surgery and radio side is still odour free - so no need for any product to be used.  Hence you should still be ok on the surgery side/radio side.   I noticed I was odour free on both sides after the chemo, which finished in March 2017.  Now I am back to 50% deodorant costs .........

Best wishes to you,

Chick

Highlighted

Hi Holeinone

I have definitley noticed this. My chemo started Aug and ended Dec. My sister in law thinks this is still true for her too and her chemo finished 2 years ago. I tried googling and finding some reference to it on-line, but didnt find anything. It has nothing to do with radiotherapy bc I was slightly amused to be given advice on which deodorant I could use during treatment but didnt need to bother.

It is true for both armpits and I think I sweat less aswell as less smell 😁 Given I also suffer from hot flushes now, it is one small beneficial side effect.πŸ‘πŸ» 

Hi Chick1

Oh bother, I was hoping this was something good to come out of our treatments!  I have not been using deodorant on my surgery side and also noticed it was odour free. I shall be ready for the whiff to return, thanks for the heads up!

xx  

Community Champion

Hello all, 

Well there I was saving on all deodorant costs after chemo ended in March 2017  when a couples of months ago I noted a faint whiff of sweaty pits  returning in the non surgery/no radiotherapy side. Trouble is I have become so use to not wearing deodorant that I sometimes now forget to slap it on under one arm!  Thankfully, the whiff has not yet returned to it's former pre-chemo  glory .  It seems the "farewell to smelly pits" was not a permanent chemo side effect. 

Best wishes to all, 

🐣 Chick 

lol ChickWoman Very Happy, I am sure you smell fine! xx

Community Champion

Hello again Paloma,
😊 Maybe we should look at it as,a positive. Yes I could understand it if it was just on my right surgery side but it's both sides that are pong free! Either that or the chemo permanently affected my sense of smell - oh no 😞 is that why people keep avoiding me 😁 X

Hi Chick1, I noticed that my armpit that they took all the nodes out doesn't smell but the other one does! x

Community Champion

Goodbye Smelly 🐽 Pits!!

Hello all,
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that they do not need to use underarm deodorant anymore?I accidentally discovered this after chemo finished. However, I am also on Herceptin and do not know if it started before Herceptin use or not. I have two more Herceptin to go so maybe odour will return after completion.
Anyway, I sweat but no smell. I understand odour depends on an active ABCCII gene/bacteria eating the sweat. YUM πŸ˜‹ Maybe the drugs have changed the chemical structures. I know that there are a small percentage of people who naturally do not have smelly pits - but that was not me originally.
I asked lovely Oncoman - alas he just gave me a bemused look and no explanation apart from that radiotherapy can affect. It has nothing to do with radiotherapy in this case. It was noticed before I had that!
Best Wishes to all X