cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Cap - did it help keep your hair?

Re: Cold Cap - did it help keep your hair?

Mishy so glad your feeling better about your hair. I bet you look fabulous without... whereas I would resemble a Spanish footballer. Angela could you send me a pic of the wig if you don't mind. Did it take you long to actually get it from ordering? I've not ordered one yet as don't want to tempt fate. Hairs still holding on but starting to get very dry so I'm putting cocunot oil on which then makes it really greasy.. but id rather that than have it snapping! I was due 3rd fec on Thursday but my daughter has a sickness bug now so theyve delayed treatment until next week. I think my body could do with the break after hospital etc but the longer I delay the more I don't want to do anymore xx

Pleased you like your wig x something to give you back some self esteem I know what you mean about not looking like yourself any more x I have asked for a wig voucher to see what is available x but my mam has real hair wigs as she suffers alopecia has done for years so wouldn't be without them x I'm sure my eyebrows are thinning too bloody fec it's ravishing us isn't it!!

Well I took the plunge and collected my wig today. If you see this Kathryn, it's a long real hair one from tribeca. I absolutely love it. I feel like me for the first time since I had all of my hair cut off. I can't believe how realistic it is and it was half the price I thought it would be.
I haven't lost any hair yet, but definitely didn't feel like myself with my extreme short cut.
Hoping I continue to have luck with the cap, then when my hair grows back to chin length I can have extensions next year.

Yeah the kylie look, I saw a girl in the unit and she had her scarf on lovely I want to avoid the I'm on chemo look if I can! So I think I'll be hitting pinterst for some techniques, today I don't feel too bad hope you girls are going to persevere with the cap if it's working I just hope as you have got this far with it won't start to let you down, I know you will probably feel like I did if it does start it took five days from start to finish to lose majority of it so fingers crossed for you all but if it does start don't do what I did and torture yourself for an extra day looking at the very grim reflection in the mirror of it I should have probably done it that evening x but never mind I can say to you all that bald is def not as bad as the glum look I looked like I was dying!!!!
Stay strong hair buddies xx

Hi mishy. I think you're right, glam is the way forward. Some of the turbans are gorgeous.

Maybe if mine goes I'll try to pull off the kylie look (wishful thinking).
Well done getting through round two. Xxx
Community Champion

Aww Mishy so sorry it didn't work for you. I was lucky, I can't say I understand how you feel but I'm trying to. You sound very positive today, I think it just takes a bit of time to come to terms with it. Keep practising different scarf styles - there's lots to play with.

Keep going, slap on the make up and make yourself look glam x

Yeah back from number 2 feeling not to bad nurses said I did right thing shaving it off as probably couldn't have cold cap with that much hair loss she says my first dose was really aggressive so she wasn't too surprised I'm getting used to it now! I have my scarf like a retro turban from 40's/50's looks OK just need to wear make-up!

Sorry you've had to give up on the cap mishy. I've read for a lot of people hair starts to grow again on the T. So hopefully you won't be rocking the shaved look for long. To be honest, I've had mine cut so short in prep for a fall out I barely recognise myself anyway. Even though people say I suit it, every time I look in the mirror I just see a cancer cut.
The pain on the top of my head has stopped, so I'm hoping it was all in my mind.
The things we have to go through. 😳
On my way home from last chemo a lorry drove past and written on the side it said 'if you're going through hell, keep going'
I thought it was very poignant. We will make it through this and our hair will be back better than ever. 😀 X

Hi I had to shave it off last night it was horrendous it looked awful just matted clumps of hair with lots of bald patches it was making me ill looking at it! My head was hurting too so I decided that was it I couldn't disguise it as it was too bad x I hope you all have better luck with it than I have had got my second fec today so I'm hoping this one is better than the last x once mine started that was it so I hope you both have better luck I rang the chemo unit about it and they said as I have shaved it I can't cold cap anymore as it will cause scalp burns but to be honest I think I wouldn't have had enough to use it today anyway and the sight of it was causing me to have crying fits it just looked awful i filled a carrier bag on my last shed without what was hoovered up xx

How are you doing today mishy? Have you lost anymore?
I'm sure I lost more hair than usual when I washed mine this morning and now I've got a mild pain across the top of my head. 😳
Hoping this is not the beginning of a shed for me and it's just my hair paranoia. X

Ive lost probs 80 % of my hair today woke up with enough to make someone a toupee! I had a total melt down over it yesterday but this morning accept he fact that it's almost gone I would have shaved now but want to do one more cap for my follicles if the nurse will let me then when I get to week two it's coming off x

I'm gutted for you mishy. But as you say, the cap may help you in the long run. Hopefully the shed will slow down after this. 🤞🤞🤞

Awww sorry to hear this mishy. Such a shame when we u have went through the time and effort of the cold cap. I don't really have any advice as but thinking of you. This part will never be easy so definitely go out and treat yourself and make yourself feel a bit better xxx

Hi thanks for understanding I think as my next treatment is Mon I might as well do it once more then have it shaved I can't let my hair obsession hold me back in my treatment I need to be stronger than a gibbering hair wreck! So I think I will take your advice and go scarf shopping xxx

Hi again. I remember that stage well and the hair falling out was by far the worse part for me. I decided what was left didn't bare any resemblance to my hair or me.  Once I'd decided to clipper off I found it much easier to get on with treatment and one less thing to worry about. I think FEC is tough on hair. I switched my attention to my diet and eating really well and nourishing my body through all the horrid treatment. That helped me and your hair WILL come back. The thing is to get on with treatment and get better. The hair issue becomes less important. People are kind and will support you through this. Go shopping with a friend and get some nice hats and scarves. I got the wig but hardly wore it. Just wasn't me. Treat yourself to some lovely skin and makeup and hair products. I switched to plant based products and avoided anything with strong chemicals. 

Dig in you will come through this. Best wishes. X

Hair update no 3
Well my hair is abandoning me as a speak bald patches all over there are clumps strands keep failing I'm absolutely devastated tbought the cold cap was going to help me keep it, it's matted and needs a wash but I am literally scared to wash it incase more falls out having next treatment on Monday and don't know whether or not I should go for the cap just once more for my follicles or whether I will have enough left Smiley Sad
I desperately wanted it to work in their eyes they will probably say well but you still have hair but what is the actual point when it looks like this x

I need to get my hair to the back of my mind so I can deal with my next chemo x
Sorry for the whine ladies I hope you do better with it than I have xxx

Cold cap didn't help me at all. Stopped after first fec. However good luck!

Thanks good to know, you know I have said I will persevere once more as you said you believe the cold cap helps with new regrowth which was what bothers me most, but I I will do the shave once bald patches appear as with thick hair it can be more visable at least I know the Fec is working as I will lose everything to prevent a recurring cancer x

Hi Mishy

Just to say I am nearly two years on from Diagnosis now. Stage 3 advanced to nodes. have had a full mastectomy and received high dose FEC and radiation. I used the Paxman system (we live near where the company is based) I managed two cycles of FEC using the cold cap. I found it really tough and after the second cycle my hair came out in huge clumps. as I had masses of hair before it was very noticeable and distressing. At that point I decided to clipper off what was left (with my hairdresser- she was marvellous) and do scarves with funky hats. I was lucky as this was through the winter and I love wearing hats. It was the best thing I did and felt totally liberated. I completed the third cycle of FEC without using the cap.

My hair is now fully grown back. Thick and wavy as it used to be and I have it in a shoulder length bob.

I use an organic wash in hair dye that is very gentle and have the ends regularly trimmed.

It started to grow back straight away so I was never really completely bald. I'm convinced it was the cold capping that helped even though I had a lot of hair loss and only managed two cycles. I'm sure it helped protect the hair folicles and root growth area.

So keep persevering and dont worry if you don't manage all cycles with the cold cap. It will have helped.

Best wishes xx

That's brilliant I hope this one on Monday is fine I'm looking forward to having an easier time! Yeah I nearly gave in yesterday and got it all cut off but decided to hold off and have a bit of faith in my Barnet going to fill the rest of my good week in the garden and having a trip to the coast!
Yeah maybe it's better to avoid public transport if you can you should get someone to take you to maggies for a coffee it's really nice x
Hopefully the weather will fair up so I can do some gardening x