Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemotherapy: the BIG doubts

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Chemotherapy: the BIG doubts

Love your reply, starting chemo soon and hope I'm like you..xx

Thank you, Sarah, I haven't been able to sleep since we had the diagnosis. My daughter is so, so scared. I am keeping a poker face all the time, but it hurts profoundly not being able to help her on this. I can cook, clean, take care of absolutely everything..... but, still, I cannot erase chemo impact.

She will have FEC without t, followed by radio,along with tamoxiflen, and ovary supression with a future surgery to get them out. It will be a long road.

Hi mustardandgrey, thank you for this, we now know that she will have 6 treatments in total, one every 3 weeks.

Do you, or anybody here had some experience with neutropenic sepsis during chemo?

Due to her poor immune system I am so concerned with this.

RE: How many chemos in four and a half months?

It may vary, but for me it was six sessions.

Hello!

I echo the ladies above...please don't fear the worse.

The list of side effects is huge, but not everyone gets every side effect and with the side effects you do get, there will be varying degrees.

I went through four and a half months of chemo last year,  FEC and Taxol.

Fec did make me nauseous, but the hospital will give you anti sickness meds that do a good job at controlling this.

The first chemo was worse for me nausea wise, but only for the first few days.

And mouth ulcers...the mouth ulcers were pretty bad and very painful, but your dentist should be able to prescribe you a numbing mouthwash called ''Difflam'' which I found invaluable.

And soft foods...instant whip and jelly were my go to's!

With taxol, I'd heard horror stories.

I will say, the first one was pretty bad, with bone pain and mouth ulcers, but this was because there was still FEC in my system.

It did get easier.

Be prepared for the ongoing fatigue, which builds up gradually with each chemo cycle.

This, for me, was the constant side effect.

And chemo brain is very real, and tends to creep up on you after chemo has finished, but it's more frustrating than serious.

It may take longer to recall things, a bit more forgetfulness...being mid conversation and then forget what you were saying!

But on the positive side, my hair started to grow back on Taxol!

Sarah x

Jowoomot, thank you a gazillion times for this. She keeps talking about something she calls 'chemo brain' and that will affect her brain.. but after reading more than 100 posts here I see no signs of this!

How many chemo treatments are there in a month?

We know that she will have around 4 and a half months and I am wondering how many will the there.

You have given me an excellent idea, bringing treats for everyone to share Smiley Very Happy

Hi

I would just also say that for me it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought, and even though I did lose my hair and nails, that was just a blip and I look at it as a year to give me the rest of my life, chemo is offered when it will do some good - your daughters cancer will respond well to chemo, so although there is a higher chance of recurrance, having the chemo will help to reduce that risk.

My mum was devastated when I was diagnosed, and so she came with me to most of my appointments and treatments, she could then see for herself that actually having the chemo is quite an anti-climax, I was asleep most of the time ! She took treats to eat with us too, as more than anything it is very, very boring, and the hospital I was at was always running late, so an appointment at 2pm it was often 4pm before I went in ...

The medication for sickness/side effects is extremely good nowadays, for me the most important thing was eating properly after the chemo, so light meals afterwards is a good idea - so I would say just do as the nurses say and your daughter should be fine, there are always horror stories in any kind of procedure, but the vast majority of people have few side effects, and those are generally easy to manage.

Best wishes

Jo x

SallyG63, thank you for this. I would never treat her like an invalid, and this is the main reason I want to be sure of what I should not be doing.

That is so good to know, I have been speaking with cancer heroes, and they reported some really nasty situations, so thank you for sharing it was excellent 

First of all do not assume she will be I'll. She may not. No foods tasted bad to me. I ate as normal all the way though. I lost no fingernails. I wasn't sick or even felt sick once. I cold capped so I kept mist of my hair but this isn't for everyone. I just felt a bit fatigued, especially during the really hot weather so lots of fairly early night, pre 9pm, we're had.

Apart from that life went on as normal. I went to work, I did the house work, I did gardening, went shopping, washed up, walked the dog. If you assume she will be I'll and treat her like an invalid it may become a self fulfilling prophecy. I'm sure I was as unaffected as I was because I assumed from the off I'd not really be ill (I'm never ill).

Chemotherapy: the BIG doubts

Hi forum, today we learned that my daughter will have to have chemotherapy. She had a grade 3 lobular cancer, no lymphs attacked, cancer feeding on oestrogen and she had a mastectomy to get rid of it. Her onco type just came back with a score of 38, which means chemotherapy.

She is a celiac and suffers from a rare strain of migraines and cluster headached, low immune system which triggered shingles when she was 30 years old.

She is now 34. When we heard the score we went pale. If normaly chemo looks like a nightmare, in this situation is even more daunting.

Now, we need your help as we need to know:

- how does food taste and what are the best foods for someone going chemo

- what happens to finger nails because we heard that they will fall (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh)

- shall I buy buckets for vomiting, will she need creams for any ailment, what kind of preparation shall we make

- what did you feel that was helpful when you were going through treatment?

she will probably loose her hair and decided to shave it when it begins, so I decided to shave mine as-well when she does it and maintain it shaved until she gets hers back.

And last: give me your list of what was 'bad' as I need to prepare myself and keep a straight face to help her without revealing how stupid and useless I am.

Thank you