Re: September 2018 Chemo Starters.

🤣ha ha ALittlePixie! I was just taking some rather attractive selfies!!(Not) 😂and I think I’ve lost part of my eyebrow too!!!

Hey Aley
I've finished my FEC and started T and my head has def got some fluff growing, although one of my eyebrows have just disappeared!!! I look very attractive...not! 😂

Hi Everyone.  Hope you’re all doing ok.

A Little Pixie - I do hope you get switched to weekly treatments soon.  I was so worried when they said i’d Have to start weekly paclitaxel, but to be honest it’s so much more manageable than 3 weekly FEC and the SE’s are not as severe.  I’ve had some rib pain but nothing like you describe.  Sending you a big hug xx

Today i’ve been to have my blood tests for genetic test - will have results in 3 weeks.  If it’s positive, i’ll join a drug trial for women with BRACA gene & TNBC.  It’ll be 12 months on either a real drug or a placebo, but it’s peace of mind knowing they’ll be keeping an eye on me when chemo is finished.

Now I need to pysche myself up for going back to work for few hours tomorrow.  It’s getting so busy in run up to Christmas & am feeling guilty that i’m leaving everything to my OH.  Xx

Hi Everyone. Hope you’re all doing ok.

A Little Pixie - I do hope they get you switched to weekly Paclitaxel.  I was so worried when I was told they wanted me to switch to weekly treatments, but to be honest it’s been much more manageable than 3 weekly FEC.  I’ve had some pain in my ribs but nothing like what you’re describing.  Sending a big hug xx

Today was my blood tests for BRACA testing.  Now just got to wait 3 weeks for results.  If it’s a positive, i’ll join a drug trial at the end of my chemo for 12 months.  It’s for those with a genetic link & TNBC.  I won’t know if i’m on a real drug or a placebo, but it’s extra peace of mind that they’ll be keeping a close eye on me.  

Am now going to psyche myself up for going into work for few hours tomorrow to help my OH.  It’s getting so busy on run up to Christmas and i’m feeling guilty that i’m at home all day.  

Xx

Thanks Pulapula, just wish I could get a more accurate idea of what’s happening to le lump! 🤔Bit frustrating doing chemo first 😳 wondered if anyone else is getting hair growing between FEC cycles? I haven’t gone totally bald yet and there’s definitely growth between cycles..

Hi aley. I asked about the calliper measurements too and was told they aren’t comparable to mri or ultrasound measurements and usually measure bigger as it’s hard to identify where the lump starts and ends. So I wouldn’t worry about a few mms difference.

Sorry I can’t help with the FSH test. Think I had one but no idea what it was for or what it meant.

Hello Everyone
I’ve been a bit quiet recently..been ok just lurking! Got my fourth FEC on Friday saw oncologist today ahead of this. Does anyone else go through having their lump measured with callipers? I feel very confused as today she said it measured 3cm by 2cm..I don’t get it because on MRI it was 2.3cm!! I should have asked or said something but my list of questions/symptoms was sooo long today 🤔 Also I discovered that I’m neither HER2 positive or negative but borderline and they’ve requested a FSH test?! I have no idea what this means or what the implications are-all I can tell you is that it’s taking a very long time!!! It was requested early August!! Enjoy the rest of your week lovely ladies xx

Hi everyone,

Had a new SE last night - felt very dizzy most of the night and when I first got upSmiley Frustrated Had a long, hot shower, breakfast and then staggered into hospital for bloods etc. They checked me out, but everything seems as normal, so it's just another of those unexpected & unpleasant things, lovely!

LittlePixie: so glad they've identified what the problem is. Paclitaxel is not too bad at all (it's the carboplatin that gets me), so hopefully you should start to feel better very soon Smiley Happy

Met a former colleague this afternoon for a tea. She had Hodgkin's Lymphoma years ago and has been clear of that dreadful cancer for years. It was so good to see someone with a great positive story. We have to keep reminding ourselves that we will get through this and live a happy, healthy and long life! Smiley Very Happy

Gx

Alittlepixie - glad you have an answer to how crappy you felt but sorry you had to go through all that! Hope things pick up for you soon.

I had my 4th FEC last Thursday. Not too bad apart from yucky taste in mouth, tinnitus, tiredness and achy/sore collarbone/shoulders. Oh and constant bottom burps. But I keep telling myself it’s my last FEC for now so just have to get through it.

Hoping you are all managing your SEs ok x

And I'm putting pineapple on my Tesco order!!!

Good morning you lovely lot!
Thanks for all the best wishes RE my week of hell. So, I went to the oncologist who reckons I've had an allergic reaction to the T which is why I'm in such pain and crappiness. She's taken full bloods and will call me today. They're possibly going to put me on weekly paclitaxel instead.
Im stuck with paracetamol for the pain as I have bowel issues which restrict other pain relief unfortunately. Its the rib pain that's the worst I think.
Sending love to everyone xxx

Thanks Sue.

i tried the frozen pineapple last night & it definitely does help.  I’ve just ordered some ice lolly holders & am going to make pineapple lollies.

Xx

I have a bag of Tesco’s frozen pineapple chunks in the freezer....

Jacqs

I've found that fresh pineapple gives a bit of relief to the awful tasting mouth. Might be worth a try for you. Fingers crossed 🤞🤞

Sue x

I'm having the odd nosebleeds.

Don't have the bad taste at all like I did with FEC. That was horrendous.

My main side effect is pain in my legs, hips, bone pain, muscle pain. It's manageable but not nice at all.

I was bed bound with FEC but thankfully I am up and about with this paclitaxel and still managing to live my life so far anyway.

Good luck with yours as well. Will be thinking of you.

Am here if you need a chat anytime.

Kath xx

I’m having daily nosebleeds - not heavy but annoying. I have also had one weekend with a very upset stomach, stomach pain & pain in my rib cage ( this might be more to do with breast surgery than chemo? ). Also have the worst taste ever in my mouth - I did get oral thrush when I was on FEC, now it’s just a permanent bad taste. I’ve had 4 weekly sessions so far - 2 paclitaxel & Carboplatin & 2 paclitaxel single doses. I’m also having my next session on Thursday - Good luck & hope you don’t feel too rough xx ( PS I have generally faired a lot better on weekly paclitaxel than I did on FEC )

Your as bad as me. My pillows are soaking with sweat.

Have you had any other side effects?

I'm having my 3rd session on Thursday.

Kath xx

Hi Kath,

i think there are a few of us suffering from hot flushes & they do disrupt your sleep.  I woke up at 3am this morning & couldn’t get back to sleep.  Like you i’m on weekly Paclitaxel.  The only positive is that my consultant did say that once chemo was finished, it should stop & am hoping that’s the end of all things menopausal - lets hope & pray!

Have taken to sleeping on a towel so I can mop my bald sweaty little head as & when needed.  🤣🤣xx

Hi Everyone

I am now on weekly paclitaxel and am suffering terrible with hot flushes.

I can't sleep at night it is so bad.

Anybody else suffering like me on the same chemo.

I am also putting on so much weight as well which I didn't expect.

I am now a bald sweaty umpa lumpa. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Kath xx

[ Edited ]

Hi Mama Tony,

No I'm not on any special diet, well I am on a low potassium diet but that's because my kidneys are knackered, nothing to do with the cancer as had it years before. Think chemo may have sped up the deterioration of my kidneys though ☹️.

Some people say dairy is bad? I don't drink milk now, I drink oat milk but more because it's low potassium.

Life is for living and I figure it would be pretty miserable existence going without chocolate & wine 😬

I put on 2 and a half stone during treatment, my main aim was to lose it and eat a healthy diet.  I lost all the weight plus a little more, joined a gym and reckon I'm fitter now than I was 20 yrs ago.

Because of the trip neg diagnosis I did opt for brca testing - which thank goodness was negative.

I can only go by my experience - I had 6 monthly check ups (cop a feel) alternating with consultant and oncologist but only 1 mammogram a year - that was for 5 years.
This year I had the choice to be discharged or see the consultant once a year - I wanted the reassurance. I'm not sure how long the annual mammo's go on for....

Take care Nikki x