cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September 2018 Chemo Starters.

Re: September 2018 Chemo Starters.

ALittlePixie, I was given some QV cream at my first rads appointment - was just told to use that. You will probably get something similar tomorrow. Good luck tomorrow - will be thinking of you. Compared to chemo rads is a breeze ❤️💪🏻 try not to worry xx

Thanks for the tips about the hair Gaby / ALittlePixie ... not heard about shaving it either. I’ve been using lush red shampoo bar as I had seen it on another post. Think I’m just too impatient - I’m expecting it to work miracles 😂 

After another 45 mins delay to rads appointment I managed to reverse into a parked car trying to leave hospital car park today 🤬 ... just what I needed. Left note on the car but there wasn’t much damage ... hoping they don’t contact me 🤞 

Lisa xx

Gosh, it keeps posting before I've finished. Must be my fat fingers typing!! I also write lists Gaby....even the little things tire me at the moment, but you're right, it does help to write stuff down and feel like you've got stuff done.

I'm a little nervous about rads tmoz. I'm going up on the train as it's too far for me to drive at the mo, plus the weather/roads are rubbish at mo. I've had my Stu with me to all my treatments/appts since I was diagnosed in June, so it'll be weird to start this part without him. 

Right, gonna try and sleep and not think too much about tmoz.

Night all xxx

It posted before I'd finished!!! I'm not sure if it's helping or not but my hair is def growing on my head! I still have no eye brows or lashes tho.

Thanks Gaby. Yeah I'm the same about not bothering to go behind the curtain. Ooh I might ask about shaving my head again...I've not heard that, but I'll ask.

Evening everyone

Lisa - thanks for the tips. I'll go bra-less and drink lots. Any particular cream I should use to moisturise with? For my hair, I've bemusing Grow Growth Serum from Grow Gorgeous range

Morning ladies,

Sounds like we're all having a bit of a rubbish time! I'm feeling quite weak this morning, so am just reading and watching telly. I have made myself a to-do-list, but it just includes things like taking the rubbish out and washing up - just to give myself the feeling that I am doing something useful Smiley LOL

Jacqs: I'm so sorry to hear that things are not very easy at the moment. Having to deal with a new oncologist doesn't help in all this, I'm sure. But hopefully she will be keen to get off to a good start with you.

Lisa: My hair has also started to grow back very slowly - it's nice to feel a bit of fluff, even if it's patchy. My chemo nurse recommended that I shave this first lot off to encourage growth. I shall speak to my hairdresser to see what she thinks. Has anyone else had this advice?

LittlePixie: Hope all goes well with your rads. Sounds like you've got all your accommodation well sorted - hopefully that will make the whole experience a bit easier. About showing our boobs - I regularly forget to close the curtain when I have to undress at hospital and have had some funny looks about that from nurses and doctors, i.e. don't you want a bit of privacy? Smiley Very Happy 

Hope everyone gets some well-deserved rest today.

Gx

Hi ladies,

ALittlePixie, So far rads are going ok although travelling is becoming a real pain and I’ve only had 4 sessions 😂 Make sure you drink plenty of water, use cream straight after rads and go braless as much as possible - saw it on another post - it seems to be working for me🤞

Thanks for tips about profile pic - will have a look. My hair is coming in really patchy - it’s not a great look! My hair is also quite dark with some white 😜 mmm that is going to take a bit of getting used to. Do you use any products on yours?

Jacqs, sorry to hear about all your delays ... it’s so frustrating! Hope your pj day watching Luther has cheered you up ❤️

Gaby, hope you are still feeling ok ❤️💪🏻

I managed to have a mooch around the shops and lunch out before my appointment so that cheered me up. Got to have some perks 😜

Lisa xx

Hi Jacqs
I'm so sorry to hear all your news about the oncologist, treatment, op, bloods etc. It seems never ending and so bloody frustrating at times. Vegging out and watching Luther sounds like a very good plan. I'm currently eating my body weight in chocolate. I've put so much weight on but right now, I couldn't care less. I just hope I finally get some energy to lose it eventually. I miss cycling with my little family....I'm looking forward to summer and some warmer weather.
Lots of love xxx

Hi All.

A Little Pixie - sorry to hear you’ve been feeling so tired.  I would agree that at times you’re body doesn’t feel like your own.  I too have to have a second op to replace the implant I lost to an infection but the surgeon won’t do it till end April / early May.  Good luck with the rads.  Hope it doesn’t take too much of a toll & that you can get through it without any damage 😘 

Lisa - hope you enjoyed your lunch out.  Sod the diet & enjoy 😉.  I might take your advice given to Gaby about injecting into the thigh.  I’ve got another 2 months of blood thinning injections to go & my tummy is so bruised, it’s hard to find somewhere to do the bloomin thing.  

Gaby - hope you’re doing ok - it is exhausting and the only thing is rest as and when needed to get our strength back.  Glad your daughters interview went well & good luck to get for the next ones.  

I went to see my oncologist today, only to find out she has left and gone to another hospital, so saw a new one & I was her first patient.  Tad frustrating to say the least.  Bisphosphonate treatment delayed because my bloods didn’t come back from lab in time.  I went to hospital twice last week and they couldn’t get blood because my central line wasn’t working and they were unable to find a vein that didn’t collapse, so had to go back very early this morning.  May or may not have treatment tomorrow & will now have to wait another 3 weeks before they take central line out.  So have come home, put pj’s back on and am going to veg out on sofa watching Luther.

love to you all 💋 

Hi Lisa!
We all seem to spend our lives hanging round hospitals at the mo, don't we? Hope it's going well tho. My breast surgeon said my implant will probably damage, so that'll be another op if it does. They didn't think I'd be having rads so they did it straight after my mastectomy. Heyho.
Ooh lunch out sounds perfect. I'm in my jammies watching Call The Midwife 😂 I live such a rock n roll lifestyle nowadays.
Yes, that's me with the 1cm of hair ringing the bell! I have no idea what colour it's going to be yet...it seems to change daily.
I changed my pic by clicking on my profile and then clicking on the avatar icon and choosing a pic from the gallery on my phone. I'm not very techy but it was surprisingly easy to do and it worked!
Right, I'm off back to crying at the TV. The show always makes me cry!!!
Xxx

Good morning ladies,

Lovely to hear from you ALittlePixie - sorry to hear you are still feeling rubbish. Good luck with rads on Thursday. Travelling each day and hanging about for the appointments is such a pain so it’s good you can stay in Carlisle 😊 I’ve not got an implant so can’t advise on that but hope there will be no damage. Love the photo by the way ❤️ - lovely to put a face to the name. Need to work out how to do that 🤔

Pleased you are taking things easy Gaby ❤️ 💪🏻

Could do without this snow forecast today but I’m going to try and have lunch out with a friend before my next rads appointment. The diet will have to wait (again 😜) Lisa xxx

Morning Gaby
Good you've slept and feel a tad better this morning. Keep taking things easy - I'm doing the same!
The hospital have put me up for the week and a bit in a guest house (it's a 3 hr round trip otherwise) and I've booked an Airbnb place as well for a change of scenery! People say its the travelling that's the hardest. I hope the journey for you isn't so busy and stressful when you start too. Had a man for my planning session....I literally show my boobs to anyone nowadays 😂 We did have a good giggle about it all. You really need a sense of humour!!!
Lisa - how are you finding the rads so far? Hope it's all going OK.
Lots of love to everyone x

Morning everyone,

I went to bed early last night - completely shattered and good for nothing! Am feeling ok-ish this morning, but am defintively taking things easy.

Lisa: thanks for the tips about tummy vs. thigh. I'll see how I go with my tummy - got enough flab there Smiley LOL so will hopefully be ok. Hope your rads continue to go well. Nice you've got female nurses. I think I'd feel more comfortable with them as well, but will just have to accept whoever is in the room I guess.

LittlePixie: lovely to hear from you. Sorry you're still feeling so lousy. It's probably accumulative. Our bodies have had so much to put up with, it's no wonder they're protesting. Good you've been able to sort out accommodation in Carlisle. Hopefully that will make things less exhausting. Are you staying with friends or in a hotel/B&B? I've got to travel in to Guy's every day, once I start my rads in Spring, which takes me about 45 minutes, so not too bad. Though I think I shall get completely fed up with that journey, as I've been told that depending on the outcome of my MRI and op, I will need 4-6 weeks of rads. Good luck with your rads on Thursday.Smiley Happy

Take things easy and have a good day everyone. Lots of hugs Heart

Gx

Hi everyone
I've not been on for ages, so I'm trying to catch up on everyone's news.
I never completed my last weekly Pacitaxel as the SEs were still bad in my fingers and toes. I'm relieved I didn't have to tbh. I'm still having my Herceptin injection every 3 weeks tho. I'm absolutely shattered from all the chemo. My body doesn't feel like it's mine anymore!
I'm starting rads on Thursday. It's 3 weeks worth, so I'm gonna stay up in Carlisle Mon-Fri as it's so far to travel every day. I've been warned my implant could be damaged so it's a waiting game I guess.
Sending love to everyone xxxx

Hi Gaby,

Only 1 more to go - fantastic ❤️💪🏻 hope the SE are kind to you this time. Make sure you take it easy. Good luck with the injections on Wednesday - you’ve got this 🥊 I found it easier to do the injection on the top of my leg rather than my tummy ... but that could be just me 😜

So far I’ve only had female nurses ... usually have about 3 in the room. Not sure how I would feel if I had a male nurse ... although you definitely do get past caring 😂

Big hugs to everyone ❤️💪🏻 Lisa xx

Hi everyone,

After last week's delay and a few minor problems with a blocked picc line, I finally had my penultimate EC session this morning. I'm feeling very sleepy already and have been sent home with the usual barrage of pills to talke over the next three days. Also have 5 syringes, which I will need to use to inject myself with from Wednesday onwards to support my neutrophils. It was really good to hear that those of you having to do something similar are coping well. I practised on a small rubber cushion on the ward today and it seemed very easy - however, let's see what happens when I'm faced with my own bits of tummy!Smiley Wink

Lisa, hope your radiotherapy is continuing without any major problems. Did you get a male or a female nurse to position you? I've read a few posts elsewhere on the forum of women who've had male nurses and initially felt a little uncomfortable about that, though I think many of us are by now so used to whipping off our clothes in front of nurses and doctors, that this is probably not a major issue?!Smiley LOL

Pulapula and Jacqs - hope you're both doing ok. Heart

My daughter's interview last week went really well. She's got another 4 over the next couple of months, so fingers crossed. The only things I'm tearing my hair out (what hair??) is that she procrastinates (apparently that's a sign of creativity - really!?) and has just met a boy at a party who may be taking on boyfriend status - great timing that, with interviews, A-Levels and her operation for Scoliosis comgin up in the summer. But, I'm trying not to "nag" and just hope, that she gets through everything in her own, inimitable way Smiley LOL

Gx

Hi ladies,

Completely agree with you about the drugs Gaby ... I hate taking anything and only used to take paracetamol when I really had to! Now I just take what I’m given and like you don’t read about side effects - probably for the best 😬 Hope your daughters interview went well xx

Hope you are feeling ok after your T Pulapula - big hugs xx

Pleased you are feeling better now Jacqs - I’m still walking quite slowly (especially up hills) as my legs ache but hopefully improving now. I hope all goes well with your oncologist next week and your first bisphosphonates infusion ❤️

I’ve just started tamoxifen (last two days) and so far have had few more intense hot flushes (or could just be me!). I’ve also been to two radiotherapy sessions now and apart from it being a very odd experience so far I’ve been ok. Lying half naked on table with arms above your head while nurses measure and position you before leaving you for a machine to buzz around you. Was half expecting a light or something to show where the laser was aiming at (maybe I’ve watched to many sci fi programs 😂 ) but all very quiet and not much to see. Didn’t feel anything too.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend ❤️ xx

Hi Jacqs,

It's so good to hear that you're starting to feel less tired - what a relief that must be. I'm rather fed up with being tired all the time and for no particular reason (other than chemo of course!). Also very glad to hear that all is good with your ribs. I think we all have a tendency now to worry about our bodies. It's not surprising of course, but I do hope that this will ease a little with time. I used to see my GP once in a blue moon and would avoid taking anything other than paracetamol/ibruprofen, and now I just swallow any old horrid drug that is handed to me (and without reading about possible side effects) - anything to get rid of that ghastly lump!

Thanks for the tip about OHs - mine seems quite keen to help, but I really don't fancy that. a) he has no clue about anatomy (he did classics rather than biology at school Smiley Wink) and b) he is quite a drama-queen when he has any injuries, so who knows how he will react when he has to handle a syringe!

I'm driving my daughter to an interview this afternoon. Once I've dropped her off, I shall settle down in a cafe with my book and a nice tea & cake Smiley Happy (I'm not going to worry about my weight until I've finished chemo Smiley LOL).

Hope your meeting with your oncologist goes welll next week, Jacqs.

Gx

Evening Ladies,

Its been a while since I posted but I still want to keep in touch to see how you’re all doing.  I finished my chemo 5 weeks ago and could not believe how tired I was towards the end and for a good few weeks afterwards, but am glad to see I am starting to feel more human again.  

I do still have to inject myself every night with fragmin for blood clots - i’ve got another 2 months of doing that.  My tummy looks like a bruised & lumpy pin cushion and it’s getting harder to find a space to inject that’s not battered n bruised.  BUT you do well not to let your OH anywhere near.  Mine was very keen to help out but I end up with more bruises cause he’s none too gentle.

I had my sore & swollen ribs looked at last week - nothing sinister happening and apparently all normal after a double mastectomy, so hopefully will ease in time.

Next week is my 1st meeting with oncologist since the end of chemo followed by my 1st bisphosphonates infusion.  Feeling little nervous because it’s a new drug again, but can’t be as bad as  chemo.

Thinking of you all - stay well.

Jacqs xx

Hi Lisa,

Glad to hear you managed to give yourself the injections, that's encouraging. I think mine are supposed to increase the production of neutrophils through the bone marrow.

I was so useless this afternoon, that after I had posted my last message here, I decided to close my eyes for a few minutes - and woke up 90 minutes later! I felt much better after that unplanned nap Smiley Happy

Gx

See if this posts in correct place ... it’s confusing me ha ha (that’s not very hard at the moment!)

Hi Gaby,

Sorry to hear you have to delay your last cycle .. it’s frustrating but probably for the best as you need to feel better 💪🏻. Make the most of your extra weekend off 🥂💃🏻

I had injections after each cycle to boost my immune system. Presume it’s the same thing - or is this extra? I had to do 7 days of injections. Managed to do then myself (after several attempts with first time 😬) my OH was a bit too keen for my liking 😂

Hope everyone is doing well ❤️ xx

Hi everyone,

No chemo today as my neutrophils were very low 😡. This probably explains why I've been feeling so tired. I'm going in again on Monday, by which time the neutrophils should be back to normal. For the last cycle I will be given some sort of drug that I have to inject myself with to boost neutrophil production. Apparently it's easy - just stab the fat around my middle with the needle! Sounds delightful, but at least my additional bits of fat are good for something 😁. Has anyone else had to do this? The nurse did suggest that my OH could do the injection, but I think he would probably faint - he's not great with injuries, blood etc. 😂 😂 Today was a bit frustrating but I'm actually a little relieved, as I really didn't feel quite up to chemo. And at least they only postponed chemo by a few days rather than a full week.

Hope everyone is OK and having a decent week.

Gx

Hi Jencat,

We're getting a female and male kitten, both beautiful little tabbies. Thanks for the tip about letting them out of the basket one at a time when we get home - I shall be on the alert! Smiley WinkWe all miss our old cat and are really looking forward to having the kittens. I agree that cats can be fantastic company, when they choose to. I have always found that they are particularly good at knowing instinctively, who needs a little cheering up and often used to encourage our cat to distract or comfort our children. Our daughter is sitting her A Levels this summer, so I think the kittens will have their work cut out to cheer her up and provide comfort when things get a bit tense.

I've got chemo/EC tomorrow - really not looking forward to the SEs and am assuming that I will be out of action for a week at least. I am feeling increasingly tired and less robust anyway, i.e. less able to cope with the SEs. Walked to the hospital for Picc Line and bloods today and felt completely shattered when I got home, and that's without having actually had any chemo yet. Smiley SadSpoke to one of the lovely chemo ward nurses today, who told me that increasing weakness/tiredness is very common and that I will need to rebuild my energy and strength slowly when all this is over. Can't wait!

Gx

Gaby, glad you had such a lovely time with the kittens yesterday! What have you chosen? I know dogs are good company,but cats can be too! Smiley Happy (I'm trying to type this with Oscar making a fuss of me because I've been out for a few hours! ) One word of advice, don't let them both out of the cat basket at the same time! We did, but one of them had done a poo on the way home, so as you can imagine it went everywhere with them both running around!

I'll get in touch with Angela-if they haven't advertised it there should still be places! Smiley Happy xx

Hi everyone,

We had a lovely time with the kittens yesterday - nothing like little furry balls rushing about and mewing to put a smile on teenage faces! Smiley HappyWe will be able to take them home in 3 weeks, so I'm getting ready for mayhem!

Pulapula: glad your surgery went well (I'm impressed you managed an evening out the following day, well done!) and fingers crossed for the results.

Jencat: I'm a nursery teacher (and manager). Your advice about a phased return and the potential for getting bumped by children is very sensible. We have babies and children up to the age of 4 at nursery and I will definitively need to consider energy levels and my physical strength when planning my return. I will probably just do 2-3 days, then gradually up it, though I will not be returning fulltime - I had already cut back my hours before cancer due to exhaustion/stress. About the Moving Forward course, do email Angela. I'm sure she can book you in for the June course at Guy's. Not sure why they haven't advertised it online yet.

Lisa: hope you enjoyed your walk. OH and I went to the park this morning. No interest at all from our two kids Smiley Winkthough our son did actually end up going there with his friends to play table tennis - going for a walk with your parents is "boring" and probably not very cool! Smiley LOL

Gx

Thanks Jencat - will speak to rads staff on Thursday see what they think. I work in an office and it is 3 weeks of rads so hopefully will be ok 🤞 Hope you have a lovely Sunday 😘 the sun is shining here so going to try and drag my 3 girls for a walk ... got no chance with the teenager 😜 xx

Hi Lisa, I'm an infant teacher and I'd planned to go back before the school broke up for the Summer holiday.It was either then or wait until the children went back in September. When I told the rads staff that I intended to go back in July, they did keep telling me that I might not be ready and they were right as I felt tired and also emotional after I finished treatment. I also had to be careful that the children didn't knock me, some of the Yr 2 children are boob level! If you work in an office, you might be ready to return earlier than me. Also I was 58 when I finished treatment, so quite a bit older than you, plus I don't know how many weeks of radiotherapy you're having, but I had six, so that might make a difference too xx

Pulapula, big hugs for Thursday ❤️💪🏻 Really hope your results comes back all clear ... will be thinking of you and keeping everything crossed xx

Jencat, I have warned work that it depends how I feel after radiotherapy 😬 Part of me wants to go back ASAP as I want things to get back to ‘normal’ however I also don’t want to rush things. I’m 43 - how long was it before you felt ok to go back? xx

Ps Gaby, I'm a teacher and working part-time. When you do return make sure you go back  on a Phased Return. I'd been off for 11mths when I went back in September, but didn't return properly until nearly half-term x

Gaby, thank you so much for the M F course details, I'd looked on the website and couldn't find it. They have got M F courses near me, but unfortunately they're either on a day I work or include school holidays and the one I could attend isn't until November and that seems too far away! It would be lovely to meet you too! Smiley Happy

Are you a teacher btw?

Hope you had fun with the kittens yesterday! After our cat died we went to a Rescue Centre and got two kittens, a brother and sister. They're 4 years old now and have been great company when I didn't feel up to seeing people! Actually my daughter's think Oscar has got attachment issues, where I am he usually is too! xx

Lisa, I don't want to put a downer on your going back to work plans, but you might find you need/want a little longer after rads to recover-I finished mine in the middle of June last year and had intended to go back to work in July,but found I was too tired. Mind you, I think I'm older than you, so it could be an age thing and you'll be fine x

Pulapula, hope everything goes well when you start T on Thursday and you get good results from your surgery x

Hi Ladies,

I've been pretty quiet on the forums, as I'm a bit deflated about my extended treatment.

My last surgery (10 Jan) was very short and went well and I even managed a night out on the 11th!. It was a school reunion so I hadn't seen most of the people for 28 years! I don't have a wig and went with my head fluff. Got lots of compliments for being brave etc etc.

I'm booked in to start 4 cycles of T on Thursday, which will take me through to the end of March/early April. Then I'll have rads after that. Hopefully I'll have the results from my last surgery this week too, if there is any remaining DCIS they're talking about a mastectomy after chemo, or losing the nipple...fingers crossed for the all-clear.

Hi Gaby,

I’m having 15 sessions. Will hopefully be ok driving 🤞. I’m going to take someone with me for company just in case. Will be careful I promise 😉

I’m sure your employer will just be pleased to have you back 😊 I went into work last week to discuss starting back. Was a bit nervous going in as I’m not feeling the most confident at the moment. I’ve also not seen anyone for 6 months (only a few people know why I’ve been off!). One person commented ‘you look different’ not sure if it was the wig, lack of eyebrows or weight 😂 just the sort of comment I needed 🙄

Ahh how lovely to get some rescue kittens (need photos please 😍) they will definitely keep you busy too.

Hope everyone has a fab weekend 😘 xx

Morning everyone,

Hope you're all doing ok - it's been a bit quiet here lately Smiley Happy

Lisa: How many radiotherapy sessions are you having? It is a bit of a pain having to travel so far every day. Will you be ok driving back on your own? I've been told that the main SE of rads is tiredness, though I don't know how quickly that kicks in. Do be careful driving - I sound like my mother Smiley LOL!

I think that if and when I go back to work, it will definitively be part-time, at least to start with. I am slightly worried that a part-time return is not what my employer wants and I haven't spoken to them about it yet. Am delaying that conversation for a few more weeks/months, as I am really not sure about what i want to do. I won't be going back until September at any rate, i.e. start of the new school year. By then I should have more energy and be physically fit to return. It will be a bit of a shock to the system though. And I just hope that my brain will be a bit more switched on by then - at the moment I can't see myself multi-tasking and rushing around as I used to!

Have a good weekend everyone. We're off to see some little kittens this afternoon. Our lovely cat died last summer (in fact the day before I was diagnosed - that was a lovely week!) and we are keen to take in a couple of rescue kittens now. Should be fun!

Gx

Hi ladies,

Gaby, the Moving Forward course sounds great - unfortunately there isn’t one near me in Newcastle 😞 There might be something similar tho so will look into it - sounds like just what I need. I’ve been so focussed on taking one stage at a time, I think it will hit me once it has all finished - coming to terms with the new me, like many of you I’ve put on weight, and also the constant scare of it coming back! We have all been through so much ❤️💪🏻I’m planning on going back to work two weeks after radiotherapy although it will just be part time for 3 days - not sure how realistic this is.

Aley, hope you are feeling brighter this week. I always seem to have a wobble a few days after treatment - the darker thoughts would creep in and it seemed that this nightmare would never end! Blamed it on the steroids but it’s probaly natural to feel that way 😘.

ALittlePixie, hope your chemo rash has gone now and you can have your last treatment (or even better you don’t need need it and now you have finished and rang the bell 🎉🥂)

I had my planning appointment for radiotherapy on Wednesday and so now have 4 tattoo dots 😜 First session is on the 24th January - hospital is an hour away so I’m not looking forward to driving every day. Hoping to drive myself (OH will take me to the first one) ... will see how I get on.

Hope you are all doing well ... sending lots of love ❤️ Lisa xx

Hi Jencat,

They don't seem to have listed this course on the website yet, but here's the info I was emailed:

Venue: Guy's Hospital, Cancer Centre, Guy's Hospital, Great Maze Pond, London, SE1 9RT - Dimbleby Drop in Centre, Group Room 2.

Week 1: Tuesday, 4 June 2019

Week 2: Tuesday, 11 June 2019

Week 3: Tuesday, 18 June 2019

Week 4: Tuesday, 25 June 2019

Session Timings: 1:30pm to 4:45pm

The person I've been in touch with is called Angela and her email is movingforward@breastcancercare.org.uk. Maybe just email her and ask if she can book you on to the course. It would be lovely to have someone else from our bit of the forum there and to meet you! Let me know how you get on.

Gx

Hi Gaby, is the M F course at Guy's a new date, I don't remember seeing it? Also is it am or pm? I'm in Kent and there is a couple of M F courses at my local hospital but they're on a Friday, a day I work x

Someone from Breast Cancer Care just emailed me with the details of the Moving Forward course beginning 4 June at Guy's - the details should also now be on this website, if anyone is interested. I've just booked myself on to that one, instead of in March. I should be done with everything by then, yipee!!! Smiley Very Happy

Gx

Hi Aley,

I think we all have good and bad days. It's particularly hard, when I'm tired and/or feeling lousy, but I try to look forward and to think of all the rubbish we have to go through as part of my recovery. Having the children to chat to also helps - even if I'm low they will often help to distract me by just chatting away about their day/problems. Can't remember if you have any kids (sorry), but if not, then meeting up with friends, fresh air, exercise etc have all helped me (to a point Smiley Wink) The other thing that helped me was to book a holiday for the summer - something lovely to look forward to once all this is finished! Smiley HappyIf you're really low, it's worth talking to your BCN, as there is professional help available for us.

I have heard that once all the treatment is complete and we're discharged, things can actually get more difficult, so I have provisionally booked myself on to a "Moving Forward" course that Breast Cancer Care offers. However, the London one is in March, which is a bit early for me and I am hoping that they might put on one in the summer. This course apparently deals with everything, including diet, exercise and, perhaps most importantly, our mental health post-treatment. One of my biggest headaches, and one which I am currently trying not to think about too much, is whether and when I return to work. Hopefully, talking to other people on that course might help me a bit in making my decision.

Gx

Hi GabyF
Yes it’s a grim sight when I look in the mirror so I avoid it if possible! Second ‘T’ has left me feeling emotionally quite down..anyone else experience this? Maybe it’s because it feels like such a long haul..Hope all you lovely ladies are doing 👌🏽 xx

Hi Aley / Little Pixie,

Looking in the mirror is not always easy at the moment, I agree. I've also put on weight over the past few months (not to mention Christmas), plus I've got virtually no hair, stubbles instead of eye lashes, thinning eye brows, and despite extra daytime naps - dark rings under my eyes. Just lovely Smiley FrustratedThe other day I came across a photo of myself on holiday a couple of years ago: I had beautiful, long hair and looked "normal", hey-ho. I try to tell myself that it's only for a few more weeks and then hopefully my hair will start to grow back and I can try to rebuild the old me, if that's possible, although I've still got surgery and rads to contend with. I suppose in some ways there will always be the "me" pre- and post cancer. It's not going to be a worse version of myself or my life (I hope Smiley Tongue), but a different one it certainly will be.

I treated myself to a facial today and rather weirdly my skin is actually better than it was pre-cancer. Either my skin likes the chemo (?????) or it's the lack of work-related stress.

Little Pixie: I'm sorry your treatment has been postponed. It's so frustrating when that happens, but I suppose it's better they don't give us chemo if our bodies aren't up to it.

Pulapula: Hope everything went well today Heart

Take care, everyone.

Gbay x

PulaPula - good luck with your surgery today. Let us know how you've got on when u can. I'm thinking of you today.
Aley - glad you're getting thru the T regime. I'm the same with the bloat and weight.

I'm meant to have my last Paclitaxel tmoz. I was looking forward to ringing the bell but it's been deferred for now. I have chemo rash only face and numbness/tingling in my fingers still so they've said I can't have it. I'm seeing the consultant on Weds and he's gonna tell me about my radiotherapy treatment next and im hoping he might say I don't need this next Paclitaxel dose.

Hope everyone is doing as well as possible. Sending love xxx

Sorry to hear this Pulapula, sounds like they’ve caught it early..😒 had my second ‘T’ yesterday. So far ok, I’ve lost my eyebrows & eyelashes and look puffy in the face- no wonder I put on 3kg over Christmas 🥴 hope you’re all having a good weekend 😘

I think you have every right to feel sorry for yourself, Pulapula. What a shock that must have been. I'm so sorry you've got to deal with yet more surgery and chemo. It's just lousy. However, I also think that you seem to be dealing with this with incredible inner strength. At least they found the cells before they could turn into anything really nasty and they can get rid of them.

Much love. Thinking of you. 😘 Gaby

Pulapula I am so sorry to hear your news.  That’s just awful after everything you’ve already been through and you have every right to feel sorry for yourself.  Best wishes for your surgery on Friday.  Sending lots of love ❤️

So sorry to hear about your results Pulapula ... that must have been quite a shock ... the extra surgery and chemo is just 🤬🤬🤬 You can get through this ❤️💪🏻 It is so worrying when they ‘miss’ things ... makes you doubt the care you are getting. Sending big hugs ❤️ Good luck for Friday xx

Oh Paula, I'm so sorry to hear this news. That's just so devastating for you and I'm not surprised you're feeling like that. Sending all my love sweetheart xxxx

Well, I wasn't expecting the results I got today! And not in a good way....Turns out I also have pre-cancerous cells (DCIS) which didn't show up on scans previously. So I am booked in for more surgery this Friday. Hopefully I can keep my nipple but I might loose it depending how widespread the cells are...I was also very happy with the cosmetic results from my surgery on 21 Dec so it's disappointing. Oh well, another scar to add to my collection. I'm also now a bit worried that these things can avoid detection - apparently it's because my breast tissue is very dense...

And I am also back with my oncologist next Friday to start chemo again - 4 x T cycles this time, so that takes me through to early April. And then I'll have a course of rads too :-(. Feeling sorry for myself - can you tell...

Hi ladies,

My main achievement today was to walk to the bus, get on the right one Smiley Very Happy, collapse into the chair in the chemo ward and, after a visit to my oncologist, get home again, slowly! Then lunch and a nap - lovely Smiley Wink

My oncologist told me that I should have surgery within 4-6 weeks of finishing chemo, which is great - can't wait to get the rest of that bugger out of my system! Rads apparently start after a similar gap, but I may need 3-5 weeks of daily doses, depending on what they find during surgery. And for those treatments I will need to go in to Guy's every day! Well, at least I know what I will be doing in April/May, how exciting NOT. Smiley SadStill, it will probably feel like a walk in the park compared with chemo.

Pulapula: I'm so pleased that you are recovering well from surgery and hopefully you won't need to have any more chemo now.

CarGarland: I agree, one way or another you need to know, so be brave and do the test. Heart

Gx

Hello ladies.

I’ve not been on for a while but thought I’d pop in to see how everyone is.

Cat - I think a pregnancy test is in order as it could be possible and you need to know one way or the other.

Lack of hair growth is bothering me now. My last FEC chemo was 22 Nov and whilst there are definitely more hairs on my head it’s taking forever to grow. Might look at some of those suggestions.

I had my surgery on 21 Dec so just 4 weeks from chemo finishing. I ended up having a LICAP flap where the lump was removed with margins and fat from under my arm used to fill the gap. It did leave me with a long scar back under my arm towards my back but it’s healing well.

I went back yesterday to get my results but they’re not back from the lab. Really hoping I don’t need more chemo as it will be T if I do. I’ve felt great these last few days now my scar is healing and I’ve had energy again I guess as the chemo drugs are out of my system.