cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September 2018 Chemo Starters.

Re: September 2018 Chemo Starters.

Hi,

I am TN and have quite a bit of cancer in my family, my consultant applied for a genetic test for me in August. Can you advise please how long it takes and what is involved?

At the moment I am down for a single mastectomy following my chemo but I would push for a double if this test was positive.

Best wishes to all 💕

Hi Tizwaz

My hair is also coming out so will also be shaving it off in next few days.

Am hoping I feel like you do and not cry buckets xx

Hi Kath,

we'll be ok, I'm having my second fec on friday, so we can keep in touch and get through together😀 how's your hair? Hubby shaved mind off tonight as it was really sore at the folicles and I was fed up with hair getting all over the place! I'm surprised that I just feel liberated rather than vulnerable!

Stay strong ladies xxx

ktk

Hi Kath, FEC doesn’t get any worse. Bad hangover for a few days then ok for the next couple of weeks 😁😁😁Kxx

Hi Pulapula,

I've just had the genetic test but will have to wait 9-10 weeks for the results. I'm triple negative as well and 51, so was offered the test and decided in favour of having it - for my children's sake primarily. I have no history of breast cancer in my family. However, I do have Jewish ancestry, which apparently increases my chances slightly of having the BRCA gene. So, it's just a matter of waiting now, which I think is almost worse than getting the actual result. My consultant seemed to think there is only a very small change that I will have the gene due to the virtual lack of any cancers in my family, but then I could just be the one to strike lucky! Smiley FrustratedAnyway, I do think it's better to know, than to worry and continue to wonder about this in future.

Gx

Hi Everyone

Just a quick question.

Am having my second FEC on Thursday and already dreading it.

From people experience who have had a few fec did the side effects get worse for you the more sessions you had or was it not that bad?

Hope you are all coping as well as you can.

Hope you have had a good weekend

Love to you all

Kath xx

Hi Pulapula. 

I have an appointment for genetic testing in November.  I had a partial hysterectomy 10years ago but they left my ovaries, so if it proves I do have defective gene, i’ll Have my ovaries removed.  I’m also doing it for my sister & nieces.  We have got a family history of breast cancer but no one had had the test so far.  I know it’s a difficult one but I so wish I had had the test done earlier - would have still had to have double mastectomy & reconstruction, but then wouldn’t have had to have the chemo!!!

I just turned 50 & am triple negative.  I was part of a family history clinic and had annual mammograms, but never really talked to anyone about genetic testing.  Apparently it’s only offered to those under the age of 50,

Just wish they had made this info more clear. Xx

Hi ladies,

I think i've been very lucky with chemo so far - just had one round of FEC. Felt tired and queasy for about 4 or 5 days and then pretty much back to normal with occasional tired spells.

I had my hair cut short a week before chemo, but I'm back to the hairdressers on Tues to have a crop, as my hair is very thick and not sure I'm ready to brave the shave or cope with hair falling out all around the house, so i'll go short and then see what happens.

I have a dilemma re. my coil. As I am oestrogen -ve (so probably progesterone -ve too) its unlikely it will be impacting on the cancer growth, but my consultant did say its a small risk to keep it in, and I should consider having it removed. I don't want to suddenly have to deal with periods too (after 8 years without any) so I'm wondering about waiting a couple of cycles and then doing it?

Also has anyone had, or considering having genetic counselling? My consultant recommended it (as I'm under 50, triple negative and possible multiple tumours on my MRI). I have my appointment soon, and I am starting to feel a bit anxious. I think I want to have the tests anyway (as I'd rather know) but I am just really hoping I don't have the BRCA gene. Not bothered for me (as I'd just have a double mastectomy and reconsruction), but for the implications for my children and siblings :-(

Hi Sam,

Thanks for providing more reassurance. Much of what you are saying sounds very familiar and altough it's unpleasant, we've obviously been quite lucky so far. I had problems with my period too, but I think that is not unusual. I was told that my period may stop altogether - wouldn't mind that, actually. Seems a bit much to have to deal with chemo and heavy periods at the same time!

Washed my hair this morning - I was really looking forward to that, as I am cold capping and hence only washing it once a week. BUT, sadly, I lost what seemed like an awful lot as I was rinsing it through. Bother! Maybe it will just thin rather than go altogether?! I had my legs waxed a few weeks ago and have barely any growing back there, which is great, but I can't have it all I guess! Smiley Wink

Like you, I am doing lots of walking, supplemented by Pilates once or twice a week. I find getting out in to some fresh air and just keeping gently active really helps. My BCN told me right at the start of all this that patients who manage to stay reasonably active seem to cope better with the chemo. But of course that's only possible if you're feelig up to it.

I have had to give up work, as I am a nursery manager - defintively far too many germs going around there! I thought I would really miss it, but for now I feel oldly content with the lack of work-related stress, and my sudden new-found freedom to meet up with friends, do lots of reading, and generally potter about at home. I'll probably get bored with this rather quiet life eventually, but for now it's rather nice!

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday, everyone. It's sunny here, so I'm hoping to go for a walk with my lovely husband (He's been brilliant throughout - I'm very lucky!).

Gaby x

oh and the other thing I forgot to mention was a big kick back from my ovaries and the period from HELL coming a week early and lasting 2 weeks. Very heavy for about 5 days. I am 45 years old and get a 5 day period like clock work normally - heavy for a day or two. My nurse and doc advise this is not unusual and periods may lighten and disappear even esp as I will go onto Tamoxifen next year. That ended up bothering more than anything else for a couple of weeks !

Hi Gaby, I am on my 2nd of 3 EC sessions (every 3 weeks) and I then go on to Taxol (once a week for 12 weeks). I have compared my symptoms to jet lag/hangover/tiredness for a few days after and haven't had sickness or nausea. I could be one of the lucky ones and hope it continues. Fatigue may catch up with me over the months perhaps. A bit of a metallic taste in my mouth and indifference to some foods I normally like. And not so keen on alcohol either- I normally like a session come the weekend . My mother friends suggest not dissimilar to pregnancy either.

I am using the cold cap and no hair loss yet but again will see how it goes. Hair has shed from other bits below so maybe I could be ok? Will see how it goes and know Paxman has 50-60% success at the moment.

I haven't gained weight yet and don't want to either as carry extra weight. Maybe the abstination will help that. I am trying to walk as much as I can- 10000 steps if possible and did work at home and go to meetings come week 2 and by week 3 felt 100%. Work are not keen on me spending too much time in office as lots of colds going around at the moment. Doctor has suggested I get flu jab too.

I am also on antibiotics this week as doctor doing rounds noticed some redness and heat on shins that could be onset of cellulitis- also not unexpected with chemo so something to keep an eye out for.

I dip in and out of forum but find it good to have people going through this big challenging project like me. What I have learnt from the past few weeks is that there are about 12 different chemo drugs for BC and even people on the same one have different SE. Hope for the best and prepare for all eventualities is my motto. Best wishes Sept 2018 crew.

Sam

Hi Sue,

Thank you so much for your reassuring post! I'm really relieved to hear that you're having a reasonable time with EC. Obviously everyone reacts differently, but at least I know there is a chance that things might not be too bad. Your symptoms sounds pretty similar to what I am getting with my current regime of paclitaxel and carboplatin - manageable, if occasionally unpleasant. If that's all I get I shall count myself very lucky, if not, well then at least I know it's only for 3 months.

Have a restful weekend everyone!

Gx

Hello Gabyf

I'm on EC - due to have my 4th round on Thurs. To date I've not found it too bad. Had a bit of nausea (but so far haven't been sick and I've found laying down makes it bearable) for first few days after treatment and some fatigue but nothing that a little nap mid afternoon doesn't sort. By and large I've kept my appetite but have been a bit picky over what I want - first few cycles it was all about cheese. I do tend to go off coffee for a week or so too. I wouldn't take too much notice of one person's bad experience - it seems as though we all react differently to the same drugs and I know of a few people on EC, who like me, seem to cope with it quite well. Having said that I did lose most of my hair midway through the second cycle - I ended up looking a bit like Golum so shaved the rest and I think my eyebrows and lashes are now on their way out but that is pretty much a given. A bit of a stale taste in my mouth too but that also improves after a week or so.

Hope this gives you some comfort - some of it hasn't been pleasant but I was expecting it to be much much worse and I'd say that out of the three week cycle I've had many more ok days and good days than bad days.

Sue xx

Sue
Community Champion

Hi Ladies, hope you are all doing well now your treatment has started.  For anyone looking for chemo tips there are plenty on my blog which many of us shared whilst on chemo last year:  http://lifeafterlola.com

Also, right now the government has extra funding to allocate and we need to make sure breast cancer gets the priority it deserves. I've shared my story, please share yours:
https://breastcancernow.org/get-involved/campaign-with-us/take-action-now/55000reasons

Keep on keeping on...... xxxxxx

Hi had my second treatment yesterday don't feel to bad only I feel today is the day where I don't want to do anything just want to be lazy but hopefully the sickness is staying away huppy just gone to walk the dog so sitting here quietly lovely to read all your comments xx

I’d agree Kip, it is liberating & saves time on washing it especially when you’re not feeling great. Got home from hospital this afternoon, so looking forward to good nights sleep & some nice food xx
Kip

Ah well done Jacqs on both the prunes and the hair. Once its gone you can move on from the fear of it going, I had my first walk out last night without anything on my head... apart from the white fuzz that's growing back.. very liberating! Hope you get home soon.

Hi Ladies,

Well I’m hoping to be discharged today.  They just have to check my liver function as it’s been struggling with all of the drugs they’re giving me.  Latest setback has delayed my next FEC session, but hey ho....

Tizwas - thanks for your message.  With regards the prune thing, i’ve Just been chatting to the oncologist nurse at the hospital. I had been struggling all week & was having lactulose twice a day without much success.  I then started having 5 or 6 prunes with breakfast & all is resolved.  She agrees that anything natural is best & has recommended I carry on with both prunes & lactulose.  I’d forgotten how much I do like them.

I decided to shave my hair off before it started coming out.  I went to a number 2 with the clippers, then a lot more came out 1 week after the 1st FEC.  I’m not completely bald - just a little fuzz all over but no soreness.

Best decision I could have made.  I loved my hair & definitely felt like it was one of my defining features, but cutting it all off wasn’t as traumatic as I thought.  I love wearing my new wig, & once weather gets colder won’t mind the hats.  

Positive thoughts to you all for a good week & big hugs xx

Kip

GabyF, As KTK said, Lactulose helps me, its very gentle and I take a dose before bed for the first few days of chemo (usually the steroids back things up) and this helps get them moving again.   Good you are keeping positive when you can, its not always easy but we have to try don't we.  I like my children to see that I am still doing normal things, working, walking, cooking etc.. not always possible but it was the big thing my daughter especially was worried about that I would be lying around ill all the time and she is definately happier when I am just carrying on.  
Keep on being positive all you September ladies....big hugs..

Kip

xx

ktk

Tizwaz, ask your GP for lactulose (a stool softener) or Macrogol/Laxido. These will be gentle but keep you regular. You can buy lactulose over the counter I think, but as we get free prescriptions it is worth asking GP for. Kx

Hi everyone,

I agree - we have to keep smiling and remember that all this rubbish we're having to go through will in the end get rid of the cancer. That's the goal and we mustn't loose sight of it. I try to focus on the good moments, even if they are very small and seemingly insignificant. I'm getting lost of reading done and getting back in touch with friends whom I haven't seem much of in recent years due to work/kids. I am really working very hard at staying positive, not just for myself but for my family. It is very important to me that my kids in particular see that there is a decent time to be had, even when we are faced with very difficult circumstances. I realise that not everyone can do this, but at the moment this seems to be working for me.

Tizwaz: careful with the prune juice - I went slightly overboard with that, as I was really desperate, and ended up with a lot of regular toilet trips! The other thing that really worked for me was a visit to my lovely cranial osteopath, who was able to increase the bloodflow to my stomach and liver and really helped to settle things there. This is a completely painless and gentle treatment that I have used for years to combat all sorts of minor ailments, including ear infections, stiff neck (my speciality), bronchitis etc. It doesn't work for everyone, but for me it's amazing. If anyone is in SouthEast London and wants to give this a go, I'm happy to pass on details.

So far my hair is behaving itself - Im cold capping - and has not shown any serious signs of thinning. Who knows how long this will last. I'm starting on EC in December and even if my current cycle of Carboplatin and Paclitaxel doesn't cause any serious damage, the EC may still cause hairloss. Is anyone on EC at the moment? Another patient at the hospital yesterday scared me a bit by saying it's horrendous!? Smiley Frustrated

Gx

Hi all,

Pat 73 I'm just a few days behind you with the hair loss, my scalp is sore and I'm finding hairs all over! I really want to  be brave enough to just go out bald but not sure if I'll be able to, can't bear hats at the best of times so scarves and wigs are going to drive me nuts! 

Jacqs i hope you're getting better, sending hugs xxx

I've been taking senna regularly but I think I'll try the prune juice instead!

Keep smiling everyone, we'll get through xxx  

Community Champion

Aly, i was given Emend which worked beautifully . No sickness and minimal nausea which the Metaclopramide  soon shifted. The Emend is expensive but be assertive, you're worth it. X

Community Champion

Bottles of hand gel all over the house for everyone to use. Yes,separate towels for you during chemo. Sorry, no kissing if in full snotty mode. Ask if you can take an immune medication from a well known chemist.Thieves oil ( beggars oil) from a large on line company. Check with Onco for use of Echinacea? Keep your thermometer handy as your temp can zoom upwards in a matter of hours. My hubby moved into the spare bed for months, and I elected not to see my grandchildren if there was the slightest sign of a snail trail or sniffle. Hard with kids, though, as they always want to cuddle . Someone with kids will be along to give more suggestions. Good luck with treatment. X 

Hi All,

Due to get my second FEC treatment tomorrow and losing hair big time🙁 I did do the cold capping although was just frozen caps and not the machine. I wonder if anyone else did the cold cap and if they are losing a lot of hair?

To be honest bring in the chemo as that’s what going to win this battle for me👍

Best wishes to everyone ❤️

Thank you for all your kind wishes I will take all your advice and pull through this thinking of you all x
Kip

Pat73, I fully agree with KTK, you do see a pattern as you go through FEC and know what to expect and what you need to take. but you do get back to normality after a weekish and then can enjoy some normal time.   And totally agree with KTK, the hair thing is really difficult and emotional but once you have dealt with it, you feel in control and watching it go was so hard for me, I braved the shave when it became just too hard to sit with it falling out... sending big hugs... and oh by my first T cycle my hair was starting to sprout, now have some fluffy hair all over, like a very short skinhead!!

Take care

Kip

x

ktk

Pat it does get easier. You can predict with FEC that you will feel rough for up to a week and then have two good weeks😁. So batten down the hatches, taking all the meds on offer for the first few days then enjoy the next couple of weeks and have as much fun with your family as possible! If you feel up to it visit your hairdresser and brave the shave. It fells better than losing clumps if hair. Good luck brave and lovely lady. Kxx

Hi my hair is falling out big time I have my second treatment Friday I had a few tears this morning as I am beginning to feel frightened again because of the after affects I am trying not to think about it but it's really hard so grateful to reading other people's stories and knowing how you are all coping with it tips are really useful good luck everyone x

Yes I have her number ktk, -thanks I’ll try her later!
ktk

Aley, please ring your breast care nurse today. You need some personal reassurance. Do you have a number to ring? Ox

Thanks ALittlePixie. Will defo request more sickness meds. They did biopsy the breast lump and the lymph node when I was first diagnosed and confirmed there was cancer in both about a week later-it’s been about a month now chemo, have been worried sick that it’s spread to next set of lymph nodes in that time. I’ve become a little mis trusting as a locum Gp diagnosed fibroadenosis when I first presented with the lump with no further action required. It was almost a year later that I returned (I felt sharp stabbing pain during the night) to hear the worst diagnosis of my life 😢 so I’m pestering the medics a lot now.

Sorry to hear you're feeling so sick Aley. I was given about 3 or 4 different ones that I took over different days, so I'd def speak to your nurses and ask if you're still sick.
As to your lymph nodes, I know it's difficult but try not to worry. They've done my treatment all back to front because they didn't realise how much cancer was in my breast so I had surgery first. The scans had shown it in my lymph nodes too but after surgery and pathology results, it showed my lymph nodes were actually clear which is very confusing to me, but heyho. There's always changes and you never know, so please try not to stress too much.
Sending healing hugs x

Thanks for responding so quickly guys..it’s so nice to finally interact with ladies who are going through this rather than medical professionals-although they’ve been amazing! I’m having chemo first! No surgery yet so I remain puzzled about the lymph node-it’s bothering me a bit(well probably more than a bit tbh!!) as my neck node was up. I think my head is currently the only part that hasn’t been scanned!!
I was very sick this morning, all I’d had was a cup of tea so defo going to up the sickness meds. I’ve been given Metoclopramide as well as the Ondanstron-is that the max? Or is there more I can request? Thanks for all your advice lovely ladies xx

Hi Jacqs

Just read your post about the supplements you are taking - I was warned off these by my oncologist as apparently they can interact with the chemo. Are you taking these with the knowledge of your care team? If not it might be worth asking if you are ok to continue. I was told only to take vitamin D and calcium.

Sue xx
ktk

Sorry Aley, I don’t think you have had surgery yet. The scans can tell a lot, and your lymph nodes are linked so they will be able to tell from the location. However, to put your mind at rest, ring your Brest care nurse. She should be able to help and it doesn’t matter how often you ring her and how many questions you ask. That is what she is there for!! Kx
ktk

Hi Aley. If you have had surgery they will have taken a sentinel lymph node and biopsied it. This leads to others so if it is clear the rest will be.

Just cuddle your kids. It is more important! Keep up the antibacterial wash and gel but try not to get too paranoid. You are less likely to pick up infections from home than from strangers because your body is used to the bugs!! Do up your anti sickness meds. If you are sick ring your chemo helpline so they can adjust your meds. Good luck with your treatment Kx

Hi Aley! Nice to 'meet' you. Yeah keep on with those anti sickness meds and hopefully you'll feel more human soon. As to advice re not catching your 4 yr olds cold...that's tricky. I guess try not to kiss/cuddle too much and try and use separate towels maybe?! I know that's hard....I have a cuddly 10 yr old that always seems to have a snotty nose at the mo!!!! Sorry, I'm no help whatsoever but I'm sure there will be someone on here that has loads of tips and advice. I'm still a newbie to all this!!!
Take care and rest as much as you're able to with a 4 year old running around xxx

Just wanted to say hi..Had my first chemo today..I’ve got grade 2 IDC with lymph node involvement-ultrasound & biopsy showed 1 but I’m still not sure how they can be certain more LN’s aren’t involved-I’ve stopped asking for fear of sounding like a broken record 🤣 I’m having chemo first up, 1st one today was ok- been feeling mildly nauseous. I’m going to crank up the anti sickness meds from tomorrow to pre-empt potential nausea. I’ve a 4 year old with a cold so wondering how this is going to work over the next few days/weeks..
Any advice/tips words of wisdom much appreciated!

Hi.  Sorry it took so long for me last reply but it was a tough & exhausting weekend.  

I’ve got 4 chemo sessions left.  There’s a possibility of a delay on the next one ( due a week on Thursday ).  I’ve one more Fec, then onto the t part.  

Pulapula - I was told that if you’re going to have flu jab it needs to be before you start your treatment.  It’s always worth checking though.  And yes, i’m getting paranoid about infection.  

In between my Chemo sessions i’ve been taking vitamin c & zinc tablets along with few herbal things - although maybe i’m not best advert cause i’m The one in here ☹️

Take care all.  Love jacqs xx

So pleased to hear from you Jacqs. You're in the best place and at least they will keep a good eye on you. Hang in there, you'll soon be feeling better and able to get back home. How many more chemo sessions do you have left?
Hi Pulapula! You sound just the same as me with my Eve. It's so difficult with kids isn't it? I've started with a snotty nose so I'm hoping I can starve it off before my next fec on 8th.
Take care everyone. Lots of love xxx

Jacqs, I'm so relieved to hear from you. I was getting worried. I'm glad they've worked out what was wrong and are treating you.

I'm doing ok. I just feel like what should be a simple chore is really hard work! Even getting the energy to go and drive and get my son today was hard.

Is everyone else obsessive about infection risks? My 3 kids all have colds at the moment. They use the hand foam when they get back from school and I tell them not to cough on me (!) but I don't want to isolate myself from them...I just keep checking my temperature

Also are we meant to have flu jabs or not? Noone has mentioned it...

Hi Pulapula & A Little Pixie,

apologies for the delayed reply.  It was indeed time for hospital.  I was admitted on Saturday evening & what they initially thought was neutropenic sepsis actually turned out to be blood clots on the lung & pleurisy.  They’ve been treating me with antibiotic drips, blood thinning injections & lots painkillers.  I do feel a lot brighter today.  On a more positive note, they don’t think the infection in my central line is anything to worry about but will know for certain on Friday when latest blood culture tests come back.  I’ll be staying with the lovely NHS till the end of the week, then will be reviewed. thanks for your messages & hope you’re all doing ok too xx

Gosh Jacqs, that sounds horrid. Please let us know how you're getting on when you can. Sending lots of love to everyone as always X

Jacs, How are you doing today? Sounds like you are having a really time with it all. Sounds serious so hospital is the best place for you to be.

Hi Pulapula. I’m also on Fec.  After each session I have had 3 days of steroids which do seem to help alleviate a lot of symptoms.  I’ve then had 5 days of the injections.  I’m not sure why hospitals differ so much but I would definitely ask them about this as I understood both were important for recovery from each session.

i’ve got a central line instead of a picc & had same issue with district nurses. I now go to hospital once week to get it flushed & dressings changed.

Had my 2nd Fec 10 days ago & have just been admitted to hospital with pleurisy & potential neutropenia sepsis.  So gutted cause it all seemed to be going so well.

hope you manage to get something sorted.  Jacqs xx

ktk

Pulapula, just for info. I was given steroids to take for two days following treatment (these increases with T). You mustn’t take the hem after 4pm as they can stop you sleeping. I also had Filgrastim injections to take for 7 days starting 3 days after chemo. These rebuild your immune system. Not all health authorities give them but if they were mentioned I suspect you should have them. They need keeping in the fridge so are only good Ben to you as you leave. If you have them take one out 20mins ahead to warm up. Other than that I had anti sickness meds as well. Perhaps ring your unit tomorrow?

Re your hair, it takes about two weeks to start shedding. I shaved what was left on day 15.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment Kxx

Hi I am going through exactly the same as my hair is falling out big time so I know how you are feeling I am dreading Friday my 2nd treatment not looking forward to that x

Hello ladies, I’ve just been catching up on the thread. Hope you are all managing ok today and remember to ask the professionals if you are feeling rough.

I had my first FEC on Thursday and have generally been ok - a bit tired, lightheaded, queasy, but all manageable. I’ve been eating dried prunes, drinking orange juice etc and that helped with my constipation.

I had a PICC line fitted and am so glad I did. The procedure was fine (the thought of it is much worse that having it done!).

I wasn’t that impressed that the district nurse never showed up on Friday to change my PICC dressing so I need to contact the hospital tomorrow as they said to go back there and they’ll do it.

I am a bit concerned that I just had one dose of steroids an hour before treatment but nothing since, as some of you FEC ladies mention more steroids? My consultant also mentioned the injections I’d need to do to raise white blood cell count, but I wasn’t given any meds so maybe that was only if I needed them...all I got was some antisickness meds. Feel a bit medication light (but I probably shouldn’t complain)!

Has anyone else had an itchy scalp? Maybe I’m just paranoid but I feel quite itchy and bumpy - maybe it’s because I keep checking for hair loss...I’m not cold-capping and have bought lots of warm hats but now I’m also wondering about whether to get a wig too as my consultant said it can be 6 weeks post treatment before it starts growing back...