322621posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September 2018 Chemo Starters.

Re: September 2018 Chemo Starters.

Hi!

well last night was fun! Nausea kicked in around 5ish, was physically sick 3 times 🙁 i have back up sickness tablets which helped and sleep horrendously! Managed to do the school run and currently snuggled on the sofa lol

Hi Rhi32 sorry to hear your news x

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello all new Ladies,

I just thought I'd pop a few of my tips on here, not sure if they will help but anything is worth a try.  I started chemo in June, I've had 3 x FEC and 2 x T (Docetaxol) so only 1 left to go.   The FEC does seem to come with more sickness, I found I had to keep eating little and often to help, ginger biscuits, crackers, sucking boiled sweets all helped, and it only lasted a few days for me, bit like pregnancy sickness.  I also had some strange cravings for sausage rolls and salt n vinegar crisps.   Also don't put up with the SEs phone your nurse, or help line and they have lots of other tablets to try and tips to give.  I remember the first time I called the hotline I so didn't want to but now I use it as my backup if needed, thats what they are there for.  The T part of chemo, so far hasn't made me sick at all, but has more mouth related issues, lack of taste, slimy tongue etc.   But again, speak to your helpline and they will provide extra meds for anything you need.

Sorry can't comment on icecap as didn't try it, my hair did begin shedding by day 12 of first FEC and then I had it shaved off on day 15, it was falling out so quickly and was terrible distressting but once gone, I found I could cope with it more.   Eyelashes/eyebrows have thinned a lot but not until first T.  I have a lovely wig which the NHS helped to fund and also loads of hats, scarves etc, you can find them really cheaply on Ebay or Amazon, £1.99 sometimes so you don't need to spend much.  Have fun playing around with them, its quite surprising how quickly you get used to them, and if people stare... STARE BACK!

Take care, and rest up when you need too!

Kip

x

MamaTony I would definitely call the day ward ... my first night was the worst so hopefully the sickness will ease for you today but I would still call them. I was given back up anti sickness pills just in case I needed them. There are other ones they can try which will help. Big hugs ... hope you feel better today xx

Has anyone been given filgrastim injections that they need to give to themselves for 7 days 😱 need to start mine today! Dreading it ... thought a nurse would come out to do it. L xxx

Morning MamaTony
I'd definitely speak to your oncologist nurse about the sickness. There's different drugs that you can try to help it, so I wouldn't suffer if they could try something else for you. I'm on FEC-t starting on 17th. Drugs hate me and I always feel sick so I'm expecting the same as you :-( I really hope you have a better day today and see some improvements from the side effects. It doesn't sound right about the coldcap....isn't it meant to be a tight fit for the hair follicles?! Huge hugs xx

Morning,

So sorry to hear about your reoccurrence Rhi32 that’s just awful🙁

I had my first chemo treatment yesterday a round of FEC. The actual administering was fine. However I have been feeling sick most of the time since and been physically sick 3 times. Tried fasting and drinking lots of water beforehand too so disappointed it’s not had a better effect. Typical me!!
I am wondering whether I should phone the hospital for stronger sickness tables? I have metoclopramide.

I also tried the cold capping but am not hopeful for the following reasons:
- was physical hats from a freezer which they only changed after 45 mins...thought was 30 mins max
- didn’t measure me for a hat just plonked one on and then an outer one all done too quickly
- chin strap wasn’t even tight
- I said I would spray my hair with leave in conditioner and she said where had I got that idea from and wasn’t needed?? I thought it was
- no ice in hair when the cap came off

Nurse was discouraging of the cold cap and said they didn’t have much success rate. I don’t think they are doing it properly🙁🙁

Great place to vent my frustrations!

Best wishes to all.

Hi Rhi32. I'm so sorry to hear your news that it came back. That just sucks after you've been through all that a year earlier. I'm starting a different chemo to yours but I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise on yours. A few people on here are trying the coldcap. I really hope it helps. Just wanted to welcome you on here and say hi and good luck xxx

Hello ladies,
It’s my first time on here. I’m 33 years old- I was diagnosed with breast cancer May 2017, had lumpectomy (margins weren’t clear) then had Mastectomy and was put on Tamoxifen. Oncotype score was low therefore no radiotherapy or chemotherapy given.
During my 1 year check up in June this year I asked my consultant to check an area on the Mastectomy scar that felt quite firm. After a biopsy it was confirmed that I had a recurrence in the chest wall 😩 I had surgery end of July to remove that area.
I saw my oncologist today and was told I will be starting chemotherapy in the next few weeks. I will be having 8 cycles (4 x AC and 4 x Docetaxel) anyone else been given this treatment plan? It seems such a long time to be having chemotherapy until March next year 😪 I will be trying the Cold Cap.
Best wishes to everyone 💗 xxxx
Community Champion

Gaby, a notepad is probably enough to jot down any side effects.  On hindsight, maybe the spreadsheet was a bit overkill! Smiley LOL  xxx

Hi everyone

Thanks for the water tips, makes sense, I need to start drinking more!!

Is anyone else on Paclitaxel? I am having it weekly and have my fifth chemo session tomorrow. So far my hair is falling out but I am not bald or even patchy yet.  Today was the first day I  started to wear a hat as it's got very thin but still there. I ahve been told it will definately fall out. Just wondering when to expect it all to fall out.

Sunbean x

Hi All,

Well done getting through your first one Bee ... one ticked off the list ❤️ Hope you have a good night tonight. x

I had my first session yesterday .. all went ok it was more the thought of what was happening rather than being painful. Last night I felt really sick and ached all over. Today i have just felt sick but it’s been manageable.

Tested out my new wig in public today 😱 ...very self conscious about it but all went well and no stares (or that I saw anyway!).

Well done on getting your haircut today ALittlePixie 😘 bet it looks fab x

Welcome to the group Xxxx ❤️ this forum is amazing as everyone understands ...I hope it gives you lots of reassurance and support. xx

Well done for getting thru the first round Bee. Hope you have a good nights sleep if you can.
Hi Xxxx, welcome to the group 😁

Hi everyone. First time on here today. I start EC on 18th September. Think I’m going to try the cold cap as I’m so scared of loosing my hair. I’m having my eyebrows done on Sunday with brush strokes micropigmentation. My Oncologist was happy for me to do this although he said I may not loose my brows. I’d rather have them done though just in case. I want to try and look as normal as possible as I’m sure it will make me feel better. None of my friends have been through anything like this before so I feel very alone at the moment, even though everyone is being supportive I feel they don’t really understand.
Good luck to everyone on this journey xx
Highlighted

Hi all!

One down five to go!!

I had nurse led ec chemo, she was really lovely. A couple of strange sensations i must say lol.

Arm just felt abit sore and heavy.Was there about an hour, Im at home now snuggled up as feeling abit cold. Abit sickly but manageable. Hope i have an ok night, will let you know x

Hugs & love bee 🐝 

Afternoon everyone!
I took myself off to the hairdressers on Tuesday, armed with a picture of the shortest pixie hair cut ever. I told my hairdresser why I was doing it...a halfway to being bald once treatment starts on 17th. She did it for me and didn't charge me. How lovely some people are eh? Anyways, my husband and daughter (she's 10 this month) really love it and I actually like it now. It's given me a sense of empowerment over this that we're all going through. The school run was funny.....walking through the carpark now looking like G.I. Jane. We live in a very small village, so everyone knows everyone. I've only told close friends and family, so the locals looked a bit shocked 😂
Now I've got my date through for 17th I'm feeling a bit weepy. Makes it more real somehow. Thanks for all the advice re drinking loads of water.
Lots of love x

Hi Mai7,

I just read your blog, which I found really helpful - and it made me cry, particularly the bit about the daffodils. So much of what you say resonates with what I am feeling at the moment. I am trying to stay strong, not least for my family, but sometimes it's the small things that catch me unawares and the tears just flow. Had a look through your tips for chemo and will defintiively try some of them. I was very impressed you created a spreadsheet for your symptoms. Not sure I'll manage to do that, but I'm sure it's worth making a note of these things. I am already noticing that my memory is not very reliable, so who knows what will happen once I've started chemo next week.

I had my Picc line put in today. Wasn't half as bad as I had feared. I didn't feel a thing and although my arm feels slightly odd now, I think I will get used to this very quickly. At least I won't have needles being poked in to my arm every week. I don't like needles, but am fast learning to cope with all sorts of unpleasant and mildly embarrassing procedures.

I have also been told to drink lots of water and am trying to build up my intake - got myself a new water bottle that has a "well done!" marker for when I've finished. Pretty daft really, but oddly enough I am getting slightly competitive with myself about reaching that marker.

I've had a look at the scarves and hats on hipheadwear - has anyone tried their things? They're not cheap, but look well made and easy to use.

Gx

Community Champion

Ladies, the baldness anxiety is understandable, it's a no-choice style imposed upon you.  My kids didn't want to see me bald, they wanted me to still look like Mum.  I wore a wig and if it was a windy day I'd wear a newsboy cap over my wig as it felt better hanging on to the peak of a cap than my hair!  You'll find your comfort zone with hats, wigs, scarves but it will take a bit of time in front of the mirror experimenting with "looks".  My hair grew back exactly the same colour but is now a bit curly whereas before chemo it was very straight! 

Kip is right about the water: it plumps up the veins which makes canulation easier and helps your body to cope with the chemo toxic load and also, with the FEC, it flushes your bladder out as you can wind up with severe bladder irritation.  I always went for a wee straight after my FEC, before I left the hospital, as that first wee was really red and I didn't want that concentration sitting in my bladder too long.   For anyone that hasn't seen my blog yet it's here and has a list of tips for chemo which worked well for me.  http://lifeafterlola.com xxx

I found out from the girls on this forum so just incase you haven't been advised by your team..... you are entitled to free prescriptions for at least 5 years.  I got a form from my gp.

Hi sunbean, with regard to drinking lots of water.
As someone has already said it makes it easier for the nurses to find a vein & less painful if your veins are nice and plump. I had a portacath so that didn’t matter for me.
I suffered awful nausea (was never actually sick) on FEC even though I was on the wonder drug Emend as well as granesetron and metoclopromide*, one of the ladies in my group had the same chemo but sailed through with barely any nausea, she swore it was due to all the water she drank. On the 2nd cycle I made sure I drank at least 2lts the day before the day of and the day after and pleased to say it made a huge difference, many of the other girls did the same with the same result.

*was switched for cyclizine as it turned out I was allergic to metoclopromide.

ktk

Kip is right! Drink loads! Be near a loo!!
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Sunbeam,  I think the water drinking helps (a) to flush the toxins through and (b) to help veins keep hydrated and easy to insert cannuala etc.   If you are having FEC one of the drugs makes your wee red so it also helps to get that through quickly..so don't panic if you see red!!

Yes lets scare back & smile & then the world will be a better place. Thanks for your tip.

Sunbean XXX   

Morning, I have just deleted by accident a reply so here is a shorter version of what I wrote. Thank you,it's so good to know others are feeling like me over their hair and the fear of hair loss is a normal reaction. I think I have without realising it been blocking my emotions about the shock of cancer with my fears of being bold. However I now see hair loss is a big issue in itself and it would be good for me to try to embrace my future boldness. This is going to be a big challenge for me but I am going to start today by going out to buy hats after all you can't have too many hats!!

Can anyone tell my the reason to drink water before and after chemo. Maybe I have missed something.

lots of love and hugs

Sunbean XXX    

ktk

Hi ladies. Totally understand your hair anxiety. As someone who chose to embrace the bald rock chick look (I wish!!!🤣), the way I deal with the stares is to stare back and smile. If it is children I quite often talk to them and see if they want to ask me anything. Most of the time people just ignore it. I forget I am bald, except when my head gets cold!! I think I will be in more hard and scarves now that the weather is changing!! Lots of love and good luck to those of you having your first treatment. Kxx
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi ladies, stressing anout the hair loss is so common.  I felt like it turned me into a cancer patient and i was worried about people looking etc but it didnt really happen .my hats and wignhave never fallen off and i think if they did i i would feel the people have the problem not me.  Once the hair had been shaved i slowly got used to, i still miss it but by cycle 4 (i have had 3 fec and 2 T now) it is growing  back, fuzzy little chick hair but it's mine!  Youll get there just allow yourself to feel the emotions but actually nearly everyone ive chatted with in these forums has embraced the baldness... Saves hours of styling!   

Big hugs Kip

Totally understand about your hair loss concerns Sunbean ... it is something I am dreading too! I’ve not told many people (only close friends and family) so for me it’s also about everyone finding out. However I’m seeing it as a way to get my life back and although it’s going to be hard it will be so worth it ❤️ Big hugs xx

Also filling up on the water MamaTony ... bring it on 💪🏻❤️ Xx

I am so stressed about the hair loss but think is only natural. Trying the cold cap but accepting that whatever hair I keep I likely won’t want to show as will badly need dyed and can’t style it.
To cheer myself up have bought new jammies and slippers and picking out hats and scarfs.
Trying to fill myself full of water for Thursday but not a big drinker so struggling but hope will be worth it.
Roll on Thursday to get the treatment started, I have waited 2 months so bring it on!!!

Best wishes everyone🤞🤞

Hope everything went ok today millie 💗 x

Hi sunbean!

Im due to start on Thursday and no your not alone!! Im totally stressed about my hair, and yeah so paranoid that people are gonna look at me. 

I think it’s perfectly normal feel like that 😀 

Love & hugs Bee 🐝 xx

Hi everyone, first time writting on this thread and I already feel supported by reading your messages.

I have started chemo and my hair is beginning to fall out and I must admit I am stressing out over it. Being 

bold seems to be the main thing I am concerned about. I have tried telling myself to pull myself together & 

stop being silly. There are more things to worry about like cancer!!  Maybe I am using the hair loss as a 

distraction from the real issue or perhaps I am just being vain. I keep thinking what if my wig or headwear 

falls off my head when I am out but really so what if it does. I imagine people will be looking at me when I 

have not got my hair but again so what if they do. I am fine with the cancer, treatment etc. It's just this hair 

loss/boldness that is getting to me. Is it just me or is anyone else over reacting like me?

Sunbean x      

'

Hi Millie, hope today went well. 1 down .... , ❤️ Xx

Hope everything went ok today Millie x

Hi ladies.
I'm from the Oct 2017 thread and finished FEC-T in January 2018 followed by a single mx and anc and radiotherapy. I am now on zoladex injections and tamoxifen.
Please feel free to pop into the Oct 2017 thread any time you like and ask questions.
I see posts about hair loss. I jadshort hair anyway. It started to go just before my 2nd FEC. I didn't get chance to shave as it disappeared within a couple of days. It did start to grow back on T and other people were notificing it on Christmas eve. Now I have a long pixie cut type style and no one would ever know. Some ladies chose to shave their heads before chemo. It's totally up to you. You will get fed up of hair everywhere when it does start to fall out.
All the best for those starting this week. Xx

I agree, I've not googled anything about my cancer or treatment and am putting my complete trust in my medical team, who have been brilliant. I am trying to stay strong, not just for myself but also for my lovely husband and children. Just occasionally I crack, but I guess that's not surprising.

Just had a lovely offer from a friend to go dog-walking with her (her dog, not mine) when I feel up to it - somehow these small things seem to make a big difference.

More blood tests tomorrow, then Picc line on Thursday and a lengthy kidney test on Friday - what fun!

Gx

ktk

Best advice for TN diagnosis is keep away from Google!! I am TN too. Just trust the professionals and keep positive!! Kxx
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Gaby f j think there is a section on here for TN ladies, might be useful?

Hello everyone!
It's so lovely to meet you all. I agree, it really shows how lovely friends are and how helpful and kind human nature is. I'm meeting my daughters teacher this aft before she starts back tomorrow. I'm not actually sure what I'm gonna say yet - think I'll just wing it whilst I'm there. Eve (she's 10 end of this month) has been so good about it and the Breast Cancer Medikidz comic she was given has been an absolute godsend. She reads it all the time and it's even helped me understand the medical jargon!! X

Hi gaby! 

My chemo is every 3 weeks xx

Hi all!

Its so lovely to hear from you ladies who have been there, really helps Thank you 😀 

I have a 6yr daughter who has been great she knows whats been happening and whats about to happen, i will letting the school know on Wednesday (when she goes back) other mums have already offered to help with school run if needed. I will be off sick from work all the way through due to working around alot people (supermarket) get full pay so thats a bonus lol.

I will more then likely cut hair very short just after first chemo, dont wanna see big clumps!

Hi alittlepixie, Lisa, Mama Tony and Millie (good luck for tomorrow 🤞) xx

Hugs & love bee 🐝 x

Hi everyone,

I'm starting chemo for stage 2 triple negative on the 12th Sept. Waiting for this date is nerve-wracking, but I am being kept busy by my medical team with all sorts of tests etc. Am having a Picc line put in on Thursday. I have to go in for weekly chemo until December (is anyone else on a weekly regime?!) and can't face having needles poked in to me every week. I am also going to try a cold cap. I've got lovely long hair, but have a hairdresser appointment for next week to cut it short in an attempt to prepare myself for hairloss; not looking forward to that at all! I am hoping the cold cap will help, but there is no guarantee of course. Have decided not to go for a wig, can't face that. I'd rather order myself lots of fun hats and scarves -  my 11 and 17 year olds will help me choose!

Like others here I have been completely open with my kids, who have been absolutely fantastic. Am meeting with my son's school today to discuss what they can do to help him over the next year, should he need it. My older daughter wants to tell school herself, which is very mature of her. Although this illness is deftinively the worst thing that has ever, ever happened to me, it is also revealing so much kindness and strength in so many of my friends and family, it's quite overwhelming.

When I was first diagnosed in early August this forum and the replies I got back were so incredibly helpful and comforting. It really does help to off-load and to know that we are not alone in this.

We will get through this together!

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello all September ladies! Im .from June cbemc thread too!  Its very scary starting chemo, fear of the unknown etc but as the others have said these forums really do help, we ask all sorts of things and sometimes just rant...  Its good to get it all out there. i i ha had 3 x fec and 1 x T, having my next T today and final one on 24th September, the cycles do come round quickly really altough some days it xoesnt feel like it.  Overall they have been .doable with some  days when you feel bleuh but yiu geg through just listen to your body and always rinb uour nurse or hotline if you have problems, they will always hve something up their sleeves to try..  don't suffer in silence.

Hair...  Mine was long but i cut it to pixie cut before chemo  then about by day 15 of first cycle it was falling out quickly so had it had shaved to grade 1...  Was very emotional i wont lie but son got used to it and its now startjst to grow back on firsf cycle of T.  I have a wig and several hats but usually go bald at home...  Saves a fortune on  shampoo.

Those of uou with children..  j have a 16 and 13 year old and tried to be very open with them and they seem to be ok, son took GCSEs during this and pased them all!!  Get school on board tell them whats happening, our schools have been great with them offering the chance to meet and chat if they re worried. Their biggest worry was seeing me ill but iI'v only had a few days when ive not felt great but otherwise continued working (from home so very lucky).  If you can and feel able try to get out for a stroll even a litle one helps.  

Oh and book yourselves onto Looking good Feeling better course if you can, nice pampering session with loads of freebie make-up!

Take care.. big hugs

kip

Xx

Thanks Mai7 and Georgie Gee. It's always reassuring to know someone is going through the same thing and there is a light at the end if it all.
Good luck to all you ladies that are starting treatment in a couple of days. I've still not got a date but I reckon it could be next week.
Lots of love x
Community Champion

Hi Ladies,  just popping on to wish you well for your chemo.  I finished 8 rounds of FEC-T almost a year ago and life is pretty normal again, back at work full-time.  I was stage 3 and had a mastectomy and full lymph node removal.  Life moves on and I hope this gives you a light at the end of the chemo tunnel.  Here is my blog which has lots of tips for managing side effects:  http://lifeafterlola.com  If you find anything useful in there you can share it with other ladies joining this thread later in September.  Lots of love. xxxx

Hi Ladies,

I just re-read some of the posts on here and see that a lot of people are worried about hair and how to deal with it. 

There is no right or wrong way to do any of this; everyone is individual, but with FEC I have noticed that for many people, hair begins to get a bit weak after around days 10 - 15 and it is then that people tend to feel the need to make changes.  I personally decided to buy in and play with a few scarves as soon as I found out I would need chemo, as I didn't personally like the wig option.  Many do though.... and love them.

When on about day 13 I was bringing more than my hairbrush away from my hair when I brushed it, I decided to have my thick curly hair cut short.  A few days later though, my daughter took it back to a grade 3 with clippers.  By this point, the short cut was 'lumpy' under a scarf, and falling out unevenly.  I haven't actually shaved it, but I'm wearing scarves and sleep hats all the time now, and there is still a little tiny 2 or 3 mm sparse bit of hair coverage, which I expect will be completely gone in a week or so.  I still 'wash' what is left, but it dries in a few seconds😬! 

Best wishes everyone 😘

Hi September Ladies,

I am Georgie Gee and I mostly appear on the August chemo starters thread.  

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. 

Sometimes it helps to have 'real people' to talk to!

Just in case it helps anyone, I am currently having FEC-T chemo, with 2 cycles of FEC under my belt now and 1 more before I start the T part, also known as Docetaxol, and will also then have Herceptin once every 3 weeks for a year. Also 3 years of bone protection IV once every 6 months.  As I do not have any hormones involved, I do not need the 5 or 10 years of tamoxifen or other hormone drugs.  

I had surgery before the chemo, for removal of a 29mm grade 3 HER2+ invasive ductal tumour and complete node clearance from affected side.  Also had 2 lymph nodes with cancer plus one with micro metastasis.

You will be starting to know the new terminology we all now have to understand once diagnosed with breast cancer, and one of the things I began to realise straight away when I joined this forum is that we speak from experience and help one another along the way as and when we need it. 

Most of of the NHS hospitals seem to be similar with treatment, and we compare notes and share experience with one another on the forum. 

All the best to everyone starting treatment this week. 

Georgie x

I've booked myself in at the hairdressers for Tues to have a really short pixie cut. I wear my hair short anyway, but thought it might ease me in gently to when it does all go and it'll be easier for my daughter to get used to mum with hardly any hair! She's nearly 10 and handling it all so well at the mo.
We've challenged eachother to wear the silliest hats once it does go, so we can make eachother laugh walking across the school car park.
It's such a challenging time for us all isn't it x
ktk

Hi Bee, I also decided to shave my head when the hair started falling out in handfuls, about two weeks in. I knew I didn’t want a wig and found shaving my head very liberating. Went straight down the pub for lunch, and then to Y11 prom the next day!! Now the weather is getting colder I have found scarves and beanies a bit warmer. I have finished FEC and had one dose of T and my hair is coming back as a light fuzz. The other benefit is not having to shave pits and legs!!! If you scroll back through June you will find some pics of us after we braved the shave.

Ladies, don’t be scared of the side effects. Everyone is different. With FEC the biggest problem is nausea, but your unit should be on top of it. If your meds aren’t working ring up and get them changed. Some of us found Metoclopramide which we were given as an as and when medication helps.

Please feel free to ask anything. No secrets here! You will find that people pop in from other threads quite often to see how you are doing.

Good luck to you all having chemo next week. Much love Kxx

I didn’t cold cap & decided enough was enough day 19 of first chemo (day 1 is chemo day). It gets sore a bit like pony tail head. I clippered it to a grade 3 & although it was v emotional it felt so much better. I couldn’t bring myself to actually shave it off and allowed to do its own thing, it was all gone a few weeks later. I didn’t like the scarves on me as I felt that I looked like a cancer patient.

The good thing about this time of year is that you can mess around with hats, I tended to wear beanies when at home and wiggy when I went out.
It soon grew back once treatment finished xx

Hi Bee,

Chemo is what I’ve been dreading the most. Despite the diagnosis and having 2 ops, I feel fine (although not emotionally!). Chemo is now getting worryingly close and I suppose it’s a fear of the unknown and how I will cope! With 3 children (8 - 14 years) I think it will be harder for them to see me like that too although they seem ok at the moment. We’ve all been wig shopping and they approve of my new look 😊.

I’m not trying cold capping either as my hair is not great anyway ... not helped with stress! I will probably shave mine shorter when it starts to fall out. When were you thinking of braving the shave? Big hugs 🤗 xx

Hi all! 

Im probably not alone on this but im so nervous about possible side effects??? Ive been reading through all the past posts to prepare myself as never been through something like this before!! The main thing im stressed about is my hair! Its shoulder length ,im not even tempted by cold capping it just isnt for me. So im gonna brave the shave (is that wise???) cant bring myself to do it tho!!

Love & hugs x

Happy 5 Year anniversary and thanks for the top tips X