Re: September 2017 Chemo Starters

Vee, thank you for saying about periods...I'll have to just wait and see! My 6yr old also has a cold, not cuddling her at bedtime is heartbreaking and they don't understand.. She asked my mum if a bad cold or my disease was worse Smiley Sad Then she gets angry. I hope your little boy is better soon and you manage it OK. School is a nightmare for this stuff. So hard for Jo too, with a first day and a birthday. We will make it up to them xx

Cath, I was also told a glass of wine now and again is fine...they said it's the extra burden on the liver they are worried about with the chemo. Have to say I'm usually partial to a glass but haven't felt like it yet!

Unjoya, I have mucus from yesterday (day 8) but I assumed it was a result of my daughter's cold. Ive had a sore throat too from the chemo, so maybe the mucus is that too!

Wishing everyone a peaceful weekend, Michelle x

Hi all....anyone have some excessive mucous in their throat that needs clearing every five minutes. No sore throat now or anything just the annoying throat clearing....urg....comments and suggeations most welcome.

Rhona glad to hear you had good sleep..
I still have my hair after my second chemo although I have the accelerate EC. The cold cap must does the job, finger cross. I still haven't but the wig yet, but had the cap and scarf.. have to sort it out Monday...

Casandave, I like you call your wig Maria, lol... that's cool !

I book myself look good feel better on Tuesday. And there is young woman with event in Guildford end of this month.. if anybody here attending ? Would be lovely to meet..

My younger (7) had temperature today, and cold and cough.. I started to panic bought myself a box of surgery mask to cover myself, they'll arrive tomorrow ... very sad that I can't cuddle him and give him lots of kisses as I always do when he's unwell :-(

Ugh. ..my hair shedding too...I'm fascinated ans repulsed in equal measures! day 16 for me

Hi Cathysid

My oncologist said it was okay to have the odd glass of wine, but my nurse said to avoid the day before and a few days afterwards. To be honest I didn't feel like alcohol till last night which was day 9.

I am leaving my hair till it starts falling out, but not got any changes at all at present. Good luck if you do decide to take the plunge.

Rhona x

Rhona boat - are we allowed wine on chemo? Oh, I hope so!!!
My hair is dropping out in handfuls today - now that it's coming to time I'm not sure how I will make that call for head shave...it's harder to say goodbye to it than I thought :-(
Though I'm sure once it's gone I will just get on with it. Wigs and hats ready ... maybe tomorrow I will take the plunge!

Mornng everyone

Hope everyone is well and that those with bone pain from GCSF are getting some relief.

Vee and Bujtterflyflyfree my PICC line is on the right hand side as most of my surgery was on the left including SNB. I got a little heatpack and used this for the first few days and it really eased the discomfort.

My bone pain is so much better today. I was reading some anectodal research on loratidine, also sold as Clarytin anti histamine. It's suggested that as there is a histamine response when white blood cells are stimulated that this drug may help with the bone pain. I'm sure I've also read this on the forum elsewhere. I bought the Llloyds own Loratidine as much cheaper than the branded one. The pain may have passed on its own of course, but following the Loratidine I didn't need any more analgesia.

I am also pleased to report I had a great sleep last night. I woke up once, but didn't look at the time, closed my eyes and went back to sleep. 

I had my first glass of red wine in almost two weeks last night and really enjoyed it. However, it really is the devil for giving me hot flushes. I was prescribed venlafaxine for hot flushes nearly a month ago and I found it has really helped, but not strong enough against wine! 

I'm off for an echocardiogram and ecg in preparation for Herceptin, hoping they find I do have a heart Smiley Happy

Feeling really good today on day 10. Hoping cycle 2 will be as manageable.

Rhona x

Hi Vee, I heard it was a more difficult job in the left side because of the angle, so have mine in the right too. Took her several attempts as my veins kept reducing in size! But got there in the end. Sorry you had a tough time too. Mine is still sore where it goes in, I'm hoping it feels better soon. Heat works whilst it's on. No sign of infection so guess I just need to be patient. 

Lookimg forward (!) to the benefit when I have my next bloods and chemo. Xx

Michelle, I too had heavy periode. Mine start on day 4th after the first chemo and it was 2 weeks early than I supposed too. I felt tried too and headache, I took paracetamol twice after make sure I didn't have temperature.
Agree with Sue, different people different reaction.. let see what happen next month.. take car xx

Hi bitterflyfkyfree,
Well a bit of drama unfortunately with my PICC insert. At first the nurse put it on the left side (my preference, as I'm right handed and I wanted to still do the housework with my right hand), she said sometime left side is more chalenging for her to thread the PiCC wire to the big vein near the heart, only because the heart position in our body, but she said we'll try it..She found nice big vein on the left which is good, I was drinking for England that day..made my vein nice and plump (I probably had 3-4 litter by 2pm).. when she threaded it in I can feel it, it didn't hurt at all.. just felt a bit weird, she said my vein must be very sensitive, but then she couldn't get it to the big vein, my husband said that she must tried it in and out about 20 times (I closed my eyes all the time) and still no luck after an hour tried. She gave up and start again from the beginning on my right side.. although the vein on the right side is smaller but it was easy piecey this time, and I can't feel a thing. It was done no more than half hour.. I had my 2nd chemo today and changed the PICC dressing.. it's stinging a bit from alcohol when it cleaned but no more needle for canulla which is big horray for me. my vein on my wrist is cording already after my 1st chemo and it will be more difficult over time. I woke up few time last night as a bit worry about the line, I did have paracetamol and I didn't feel anything so far, finger cross !
Sorry too much detail, but just want to let all know I think it's my best decision to put the PICC line in despite of those pallava (it's probably only me) and you might want to consider it while we just starting chemo, specially if you have sensitive vein, unless you are brave unlike me, I'm a whimp if it comes to needles business, yikes ! And if you want to have PICC maybe consider to put it on the right side if you can, it's easier the nurse said, I can choose because I haven't had my surgery... but it's your decision of course.. and maybe your nurse has better experience than mine. Or Port looks so good too, I have 2 ladies in my ward today using port and looks better without the line hanging on your arm. Xxx

Thank you Sue x I guess it's just another wait and see then!! But thank you for letting me know what I might expect x

Hi everyone,
Sorry to hear so many of you are having aches and pains with the injections. I think I was very lucky as I was ok with mine even on day 7. I did preemptively soak for a good hour in a bath with 2 cups of Epsom salts every day for the week just in case!

Well, it's day 13 now and I'm feeling pretty good, almost back to normal. I've been to Zumba on Tuesday, yoga on Wednesday, and today had reiki and a gong shower!!! Trying to enjoy the time before next Thursday comes and it's back to bed for a week. I'm really enjoying walking the dogs, taking kids to and from school and cooking nice meals - though I do wonder if I will ever be able to taste food the same...my tongue is kind of numb and fruit tastes vile still!

Remember to snatch those good times when they come, lots of fresh air, healthy food, movement and laughter,
Cath x
Community Champion

Hi Michelle
I had a really long one cycle 2, which lasted 2 weeks and then nothing. I think we all react differently, but chemo effects so many things, it's not surprising that periods can be irregular.
Sue xx

Ladies, rather personal but I wondered if anyone has had a period or been told what to expect? Mine are generally heavy but they told me to see what happens because they might "Dry up" (lovely terminology!). It's due now, day 7 FEC. I'm utterly shattered and wondered if that was contributing too. Thank you x

Hi everyone - I too have beeen out of action on here for a while, but have been reading your posts. Well done to those of you who've had your PICCs put in - you do get used to it, very quickly. Glad to hear that for most, we are all getting through it! It's reassuring to listen to others who have panicked - makes me feel normal! After Day 6 I felt quite 'well' once the anti sickness was sorted and an infection dealt with, but I must say, I am dreading my second cycle next Wed. They have assured me that te IV anti sickness should prevent what I went through ast time, but still full of trepidation!

Got my wig yesterday - Maria! She was chopped a little more as she was soooo full! Felt like an 80's soap star! I must say though, I took it off soon after becuse it fely so weird - amd I'm getting used to mr cropped look! My scalp is tingling today and my lady garden (!) has statred to shed in the shower today! Silver lining eh?!!

Onwards and upwards!

Jacqui

CK

Hi Rohona
It's good to see you again and hopefully you will start to feel better now. I started to feel 'human 'again on day 7 after a blip at A&E on the 6th but all was well. Panic attack! Day 11 now & since then I have been as good as can be wirh a huge appetite.
The injections caused me severe aches and pains so I was happy when the 7 were done til next time. Next time I'm going to take both Ibroprofen and
Paracetomol. Hopefully number 2 will go easy on us.xxx

Morning everyone and hello to those joining recently

Sorry I've been missing in action recently. I started getting some nausea on day four and five and just felt like lying in bed doing nothing. My friend took me to get some food shopping on Sunday, but I came straight home to bed as I was getting motion sickness and felt very spaced out. However, I was also getting heartburn and think the nausea was possibly more related to this. I've now been commenced on pantoprazole and this has helped greatly. It still didn't affect my appetite though!

I've been reading that a few people are getting back pain and it's hitting me too! I started getting lower back pain last night (day eight) and had to get up around 6am as had been awake since 4am with the pain which has now spread to both hips. I know the GCSF can contribute to this, but I only had one subcutaneous injection to do 24 hours after chemo and it's 7 days since I did mine. I'm going to check with my nurse as joint pain has also been reported in people taking pantoprazole.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Rhona x

Good morning

Sending my best warm wishes and thoughts to all going through such difficult side effects to chemo.

One week in, and I am not too bad relatively. I hope stays this way for me, and gets better for you all.

Have a happy day today.

Fairydust x

Highlighted
CK

Hi love
I too got myself to A&E on the 5th day if injections and all checked and alright. But next day didn't chance it and took Paracetomol and Ibuprofen. My chemo nurses say not to listen when they say Paracetomol masks temp, contolling the pain is much more important and taking temp frequently helps anyway. Glad you are home and ok now. It's a scare but good to have peace of mind.
I've just woken up hungry so having jam and toast and a decaff brew b4 I nod off again.x

Hi Glenn

Oh my god! Last filgrastim today by 8pm paramedics were here. Phoned 111 saying about muscle spasms and of course being upper back chest neck they sent abulance. Still it was nice to have some company for the evening. Ecg done all fine but my god the pain. Throbbing chest all the way down to tailbone. Excrutiating. I no longer care about masking a temp or anything else for that matter. Paracetamol will ensue. Went off for now but back 4am with a vengeance hence this post.....is this just another torture we have to suffer. Why the last day? We are not alone....two ladies on my support group have the same. Sarah xxxx