cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September 2016 starters

Re: September 2016 starters

Hi Everyone,

Dawn - so glad the surgery wasn't as bad as you expected and hope you continue to feel well and that the surgery results are good.

Like you Auntienanna I start radiotherapy on 1st February and have had all my measurements and tatoos done.

Lisad - I also have a prescription for Letrozole from the oncologist who suggested I start Letrozole when I start the radiotherapy. I also went through the specific benefits of the radiotherapy and hormone treatment with her in terms of outcomes and the Predict system suggested 7% for each which is a definite bonus as I was high risk on the Oncotype test. Not looking forward to the long term use of Letrozole - I'd like to have delayed the start even longer to give my hair a head start so to speak. 

See-see - I thought my nails had survived chemo as I've oiled them religiously but in the last few days have become very sensitive and I can track the chemo effects on the growing nail - a bit like tree trunks exposed to adverse environment! 

R

I'm in the North East, near Middlesbrough.

I'm in the north west near Warrington. Perhaps Birmingham?

Hi See See - good idea about posting on this thread through our rad tretament and thereafter.

I do not know where you are all from, I live in Kent near the Dartford tunnel and near Bluewater shopping centre and I was thinking it would nice to meet up with everyone perhaps September time when hopefully we all have received our all clear.Woman Very Happy

Anyway perhps ladies give it some thought and perhaps we can all meet up in one central location to suit everyone.

xx  

His Lisa,
I start radiotherapy on Wednesday a day was told to start the anastrazole at the same time. Hopefully that has aowed me to start feeling better each day, tho like you still tired a day my.nails are falling off. It would.be good if we could.keep this thread up to the end of treatment as I feel I've got to know people. The other radiotherapy thread which would be relevant, posts pretty constantly and I can't keep up!

I start my rads on 1st Feb, I have already been measured for my machine and had the markers tattooed on - they look just like freckles if anybody is concerned.

I have an outpatients form to take to my GP so he can prescribe Tamoxifen. My chemo nurse said I could just hand it in at reception but she would prefer me to make an appointment with him so he can discuss potential side effects etc. So I am now attempting to get an appointment with my preferred GP.

Chemo nurse said there was no real hurry but obviously don't leave it too long before starting them.

I'm not looking forward to SE's either....

Hi Ladies

Hope your all doing well.  Finally felt like my old self last week, still get tired but hopefully everything is back on track.

Start Rads on the the 15th February until the 7th March. 

Has anyone started their drug treatment, my radialogist could not wait to rush me a prescription for LetrozoleWoman Surprised  http://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancerinformation/cancertreatment/treatmenttypes/hormonaltherapies/indiv...

I not looking forward to the hot flushes  (left them behind 12 years ago Woman LOL)  and muscle and joint pain having gone through two hip replacements and op on my back!

Will be interesting  what side effects we will have for those of you taking this drug.

Take care everyone

xx

Well done Dawn - another step forwardsSmiley Happy

Rest and double rest and you will feel much better in a few days

You are lucky to get home so quickly - I was in for a 5 days sleepover!

My wig got the approval from OH and daughter

Now I am wearing it around the house for a while each day and looking in every mirror

I will pluck up the courage to wear it in public soon

Not as cosy and warm as the hats though

A

I'm glad you're so well, Dawn. The red stuff is iodine, to prevent infection, they do like to splash it around!! Take care and rest lots. I prescribe sleeps in for the next few days at least Woman Very Happy

Thanks for all your good wishes SeeSee, Auntienanna and Aine!

I'm now back home (was discharged in the afternoon following surgery) and it has been nowhere near as bad as I feared. Apart from some pain and soreness from the wound and general tiredness, which is only to be expected, I have been fine. I have been given a follow up appointment with the surgeon on 3 February by which time the biopsy results should be available - fingers crossed no need for more surgery.

Meanwhile, I have been advised to take things easy for the next 24 hours until the anaesthetic is completely out of my system, and to start doing arm exercises from today until further notice, but not do anything too strenuous, no heavy lifting or vacuuming (fortunately OH does that so I don't need to!). Also advised to take Paracetamol and/ or Ibuprofen to control the pain (was offered Cocodamol but declined).

The wound can't be all that big because it isn't a huge dressing (it was WLE and SNB only and no axillary nodes were taken). It is a waterproof dressing so I can also use the shower as long as I try and avoid getting the dressing too wet. I am to keep it on for 10 days if possible, and to watch out for infections - I am slapping on the Dermol as a precaution! They gave me a number to ring if any problems.

By far the worst things yesterday were the preliminaries - hanging around in the 'Arrivals Lounge' waiting to see various nurses, the anaesthetist and the surgeon, and traipsing around the hospital after that to have the injection for tracing the sentinel nodes, and to have the guide wire put in. The guide wire installation was a right pain and took ages, because the clip was difficult to see on the ultrasound and mammogram once they had put in the local anaesthetic. The nurse had to get the consultant in to help. They were running a bit late anyway because they had to fit an extra patient in, so I must have been quite late getting to the theatre after all the messing about with the guide wire.

I'm glad I saw the anaesthetist first though, because he was able to reassure me that the anaesthetic doesn't work the same way as chemo, and that bad effects were very unlikely given the short time I would be under (about three quarters of an hour). The surgeon must have worked really quickly, so it looks like all the palaver with the guide wire was worth it.

When I came round and they established I was OK, I was given some water (very welcome after being 'nil by mouth' since 3.00 am), and I was moved onto a ward to recover. There the nurses brought me tea, biscuits and sandwiches, and did observations at regular intervals until they were satisfied I was fit to go home. Then the nurse telephoned OH to come and get me.

I got home about 5.30 in the afternoon and I was eating my tea before Auntienanna posted - in a chair at the table, not in bed! Had to have a good wash first though, to try and get rid of the red stuff they had plastered all over me during the operation (what on earth is it?). Then watched the telly for a bit before going to bed and managed not to fall asleep in front of Death in Paradise (just the sort of mindless stuff I needed, rubbish plots but nice scenery!).

Got up late this morning at 11.00 - but if you can't have a lie in after an operation when can you?

Good luck Dawn - I had no nausea after the anaesthetic and I am the Queen of NauseaSmiley Happy

Hope all goes well after.

See See - hope the SE's are getting better and good luck with the rads - another milestone passed!

I must say on day 18 I am feeling better every day and getting a bit more energy.  It still feels very strange not to be feeling sick and looking inwards all day.  I got my wig today and am fairly happy with it.  The hubby and daughter havent seen it yet - they are the judges so fingers crossed!

One day at a time

A

Good luck Dawn, although by this time hopefully you'll be sitting up in bed eating a tasty tea. I had a lumpectomy and was discharged the same day and insisted on calling in the chippy on the way home as they kicked me out just as the smell of tea was wafting through the ward and I was ravenous Woman LOL I had no nausea, no real fatigue, beyond the usual tiredness that one expects following surgery, and I had no real pain either, mainly discomfort. I'm allergic to morphine and codeine so you can imagine that pain relief was a concern of mine.

Good luck Dawn. I had much bigger surgery and didn't feel sick at all - just disabled because of two wounds. Hope it all goes ok, you get no infections and are out and about again as quickly as possible. Big hugs xx

Glad you are both feeling better Aine and SeeSee, now you're halfway through the last T cycle. I am pleased to report that nothing serious was found in the sigmoidoscopy I had yesterday afternoon (just a few small piles - sorry, too much information!). I have now been discharged from the Endoscopy department of the hospital, as the surgeon is satisfied that the bleeding during the T cycles was caused by the chemotherapy. This is a huge relief, and means I can now focus on the rest of the BC treatment plan. I spent most of the rest of yesterday tackling the cleaning and ironing backlog, as today I will be going to the theatre in a revealing gown (it's lumpectomy day!), and I don't know when I will be capable of doing these things again. I'm posting ridiculously early this morning because I have to be at the hospital by 7.00 a.m. (we're on our way there). Fortunately, it only takes us about half an hour to get there so it could be worse. I've noticed some posts on another thread from others who have suffered fatigue and nausea after a lumpectomy because of the anaesthetic. I'm only just starting to get over the fatigue from the chemotherapy, and it looks like the operation will set me back again (so will the radiotherapy). I'm also worried about nausea, because of the bad experience I had with FEC. I hope they can give me an anaesthetic that doesn't cause nausea, because I'd rather not have to rely on anti-sickness medication that either doesn't work, or combined with the lingering effects of the chemo and the other effects of the anaesthetic, will send me to sleep for the rest of the year (i.e. Cyclizine). Wish me luck - I'll let you know how I get on when I am able to post again.

Hi Aine,

I'm on day 15 of my last dose after my cycles being 7 days long. I'm still feeling 'fluey' and have aches and pains and struggle going upstairs. However I'm improving each day and had my celebratory whiskey for the end of chemo today.  I don't think I'd be up to a class yet but I had a walk to the pharmacy and back with the dog today without feeling crappy for the first time. Hopefully they will agree to take my PICC line out on Friday. 

I start radiotherapy next next week so I'm gonna wait to see what effect that has before trying to get back to normal again as I don't want to take steps forward and then back. I went to an 'arm class' yesterday which was about the physio to do during rads and what the likely effects will be so I'm being rather cautious about celebrating. 

Hope everyone is improving 

Cathy x

Hi Dawn

I get my wig tomorrow fingers crossed.  The trial one was too dark so I have ordered another one.

I cant wait to see it.  It will mean I can go out in the evening for the first time in 5 months!!!

Last cycle day 16 - am feeling much better every day.

Today I actually went to a yoga class and mindfulness class in our local MacMillan Centre - very enjoyable and the chat after to other ladies is great therapy - try it out for yourselves ladies!

Has anyone else still got SE's?

I have very tender nails, runny nose, streaming eyes and everything is tasting worse (cardboard for dinner every nightSmiley Very Happy)

One day at a time sweet ladiesSmiley Very Happy

A

How have you been getting on with the wig Aine? I thought it was funny that your wig is too shiny, because I have had the opposite problem! The first time I washed mine it seemed dull and lifeless. So I ordered some detangling conditioning cream, and used that next time after shampooing it. Result: wig much improved, softer, shinier (but not too shiny!), more natural looking, and easier to comb. I now use the conditioner every time. If it gets too shiny I can always give the conditioner a miss next time, or use less of it. My top tips for wig care: don't wash it too often (my hairdresser said about every 3 weeks is enough if you are not wearing it every day), follow the washing instructions that came with it, don't rub it dry but pat dry with a towel and then allow it to finish drying naturally (I hang mine in the shower!), don't comb it until it is completely dry, and once it is, use a detangling comb, but be very careful not to damage the cap. Hope your wig is looking better now and you feel happier wearing it.

Many thanks for the tips for shiny wigs ladies!

This website is invaluableSmiley Happy

Blueash you are a mine if information Smiley Very Happy

I will try your tips out tomorrow

(Cycle 6 T day 13 = the nausea has finally decided to leave me today - same day on all T cycles if it helps anyone -  I am starting to relax today.  Still have to rest if I do any physical work but ....tunnel....light...

Carpe diem

A

My wig supplier told me to use dry shampoo on shiny wigs. Very easy to use!

Jo xx
Community Champion

Aine about your too bright wig, shake some baby powder or talc all over it. That should do the trick, I cannot claim that as my knowledge/expertise - I watched a video on you tube about wig and hair extensions care. I don't need a wig but I do use toppers (wide  clip in hair extensions) if I go anywhere nice.