Re: October 2018 Chemo starters

Yay Badboob, excellent news that chemo is doing what it is supposed to and shrinking your tumour! Woohoo! 💪🤗

Good news on your bloods, Aneeebel. Well done, too, on managing to recover from your mince pie “situation”! Best of luck with chemo #5 tomorrow! Fingers crossed you don’t have any issues with a raised temperature or neutropenia this cycle!🤞

To my immense relief, I can go ahead with chemo tomorrow. I don’t actually know what my blood count is today after my extra test this morning, but I had a call from the unit advising me that they were happy to proceed. (I *may* have emphasised several times how keen I was to go ahead with it if at all possible when I was there this morning...😂) So good news from me! Thanks for all of the good wishes - I’m certain that the support from this forum helped!!! 🥰💕

Fiona, like Badboob I’ve had a few back passage issues, although I’ve luckily avoided thrush thus far. The only thing that helped my piles was a combination of anusol cream (applied internally using the nozzle thing), suppositories, sudocrem (a brand of nappy rash cream) and sodium docusate tablets (laxatives). Be warned - from about day 10 after T, my constipation issues suddenly resolved and I developed the opposite problem with the “tax trots”, albeit fairly mildly 🙈. Fingers crossed you find a combination of remedies that works for you!

Love to you all! Xox 💕👊💐😘

Wonderful story Aneeebel! I am sure we will all have our Chemo moments by the end of this rubbish. Oh and bragging is definitely allowed here, it goes to show the little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

Now then Fiona, Piles and thrush! All you need is a good dose of cystitis and you can have a prize. A tube of Anasol and some yoghurt! Actually, my sympathies, I would suggest you ask your doctor for some POM ointment and suppositories, and don't forget the nappyrash cream! I’ve only had thrush once, it was probably once of the worse things, talk about an itch you can’t scratch..........I am given antibiotics to take from day 8 BUT they do also give me an anti fungal to take as well so I have been fine in that department.

So sorry Sar_ah, that your chemo has been put back but you just have to trust your team and I hope you feel better soon.

Finally, some  good news, my bloods are fine, so all set for next Tuesday and my tumour has shrunk. Thank goodness! 

We now just need some good news from Elliesmum 😁😁

Hugs x

[ Edited ]

Definitely not a good look Fiona!! 😂😂😂 

Bizarrely enough... After having horrendous side effects with my first 3 chemos and several hospital stays...No 4 was relatively kind to me! I had a few hairy moments and I did end up in hospital with a high temp and the antibiotics gave me a dodgy tum for a few days (and my temp went up again...but don't tell anyone, particularly my daughters or I'll be in deep dodo! 😳) but on the whole I've been so much better! My oncologist was going to stop my chemo if I'd been ill again and she was very surprised when I wasn't!

I hope I don't sound like I'm 'bragging' about it when you all feel so awful because I certainly wouldn't do that!

Take care everyone 😘

💗💪🏼💗💪🏼💗💪🏼💗

Absolutely hilarious Aneeebel, thank you for cheering us up with that image 🤣 and good luck for tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you. Strange how we all get pleased when we're told chemo is on despite what it puts us through after 😉

💪💪
💜Fiona xxx

Hi Ladies...

Elliesmum, hope your bloods were better today! Have they told you the results yet? Fingers crossed! 🤞😘🌼

Fiona... hope you start to feel better soon! 🤞💗🌻

Sar_ah, my 4th chemo was delayed for a week as my bloods were shot at and I wasn't well! I felt so much better in myself tho, when I did go a week later! I was relieved when my Oncologist delayed -i told her my body couldn't have coped! Maybe you'll feel better when you go! 🤞😘🌻

Badboob...My emotions are all over the place too! 😘🙄💗

This is rather amusing (altho it wasn't at the time!)... I went in Sainsbury's the other night and knelt on the floor to get mince pies from the back of the bottom shelf because they were paler baked... I couldn't actually get off the flipping floor!!! I had no strength in my legs whatsoever to push myself up!!! I had visions of having to ring someone up to come and help me!!!! (A crane maybe!!!!) I had to hold onto the shelf and pull with all my might!!! Jeeeez! Funny now but definately not funny in Sains I can assure you!!! 🙄😂💪

The chemo unit has just rung me.... No.5 is on for tomorrow, my bloods were okay! 💗💪(and now I'm having a mini panic attack! I don't know why I do that tbh!!! 🙄)

Thinking of you all.... stay strong! 💪😘🌷🌸

💗💪💗💪💗💪💗

Absolutely, don't apologise. We are all in the same cr*ppy boat but we are getting there slowly but surely.

ElliesMum, I hope your bloods were better today and no 5 can go ahead.

I hope your day goes well too Badboob.

I had to give in and get an appt with the Dr. I seem to have similar issues to you Badboob in the nether regions. Oral thrush, vaginal thrush and haemerrhoids, oh the joys 😦 I sincerely hope that after chemo all these things will magically disappear. It's hard enough dealing with chemo and cancer, isn't it, without all these additional issues.

It sounds like we're all emotional, I was sat in the gp surgery reading your messages and was crying 😢 Where's that magic wand to wave all this away?
And if someone else (outside of this forum) says I'll be alright because I'm strong I might just 🥊them (if I've got the strength).

And it's so cold today. Good news for me though is that hubby is going to have another early finish so that we can get a short walk done. A little bit of pleasure in an otherwise sh*tty period.

Stay safe ladies, looking forward to everyone's updates 😉
💜Fiona xxx

NO APOLOGIES needed, Elliesmum! I absolutely get how you are feeling. We are all at similar stages with this chemo nonsense and it has now got beyond a joke! Just a hard slog. I too am amazed at how pathetic I’ve been and how out of character my mood has been. The wonderful things about this forum is that we we all absolutely get it when one of us kicks off. And it’s easier to do it here rather than with family! 

Fiona’s right,  chocolate is definitely the answer!

Good luck with your WBC, will be sending positive vibes.

Chin up everyone! 

xx

Apologies for being so melodramatic about one low blood count. I promise I’m usually fairly level-headed and rational! It seems so silly now that I got so upset by it all yesterday - especially given that many of you are dealing with far more important issues. I’m crossing everything that I have a bump in the numbers (thanks for letting me know that it is possible, Aneeebel), but am trying to be accepting of the outcome if chemo ends up being delayed.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re not well enough for chemo #5 to go ahead today, Sar_ah. I really hope that you start to feel better soon, ready for next week. As Fiona says, chocolate sounds like a fabulous idea!

Best of luck with your scan and blood test today, Badboob!

Xox 💪💕😘💐
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Time for the neutrophils bloods 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻From famous may17 thread 👍👍always worked for them and us oct17 thread so get 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Ladies 😘😘 and yes it tough but you are all tougher, you are 🥊🥊🥊🥊🥊it and doing it together 👭👭👭👭👭you are all 💪💪💪and beautiful and amazing ❤️❤️❤️💕💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Oh ladies, it's so tough isn't it?

I agree with ElliesMum, I much prefer the side effects of FEC. I could cope with the nausea easily.

Sar_ah, totally agree, the best thing to do is eat chocolate. If I had taste buds that's what I'd be doing.

Rest easy ladies and stay strong 💪💪 Together we'll get through it 👭👭 somehow.
🤗🤗
💜Fiona xxx

[ Edited ]

ElliesMum...when I was in hospital last week my neutrophils were 0.62 but increased to 1.something over night so, fingers crossed, yours may recover in time! X

Good luck for tomorrow Badboob x

(Thanks for thinking about me for Friday!)

Hope everyone is as well as can be... stay strong!

💗💪💗💪💗💪💗

Good luck tomorrow with your ultrasound badboob.
No suggestions Elliesmum but thinking of you, fingers crossed for you!
I had bloods and saw my nurse today, wasn’t due to see the consultant until after chemo tomorrow and they’ve put it back a week because of my side effects Smiley Sad the nurse said she thinks his going to reduce it or may change to weekly but find out tomorrow night. Bit disappointed but I know it’s for the best, I’ve done the only thing to do today and eaten loads of chocolate to cheer myself up Smiley Happy

What a bummer Elliesmum! I can only suggest rest. But as you say that’s easier said than done! You could get your OH to give you a massage. That is supposed to stimulate  your WBC! 😉

I will keep everything crossed for you, I’ve got my oncology and bloods tomorrow plus an ultrasound to see if the chemo is doing it’s stuff. I blinking hope so! 

Sending positive vibes.

Hugs 

Thanks for your reply, reddi. Yes, I already have 7 days of GCSF injections after each chemo, so not much more can be done in terms of prevention. I will just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best! Xox

@ElliesMum I'm afraid that, as far as I know, there are no "home remedies" for jumpstarting neutrophil levels. But that doesn't mean they can't jump overnight: from what I understand it takes 7 to 14 days for the bone marrow to produce mature neutrophils, ready for the blood, so things might just be lagging by a day or two compared to previous cycles. (There's usually a store of neutrophils in the marrow, but chemo hits that.) Are you already getting filgrastim/GCSF injections each cycle to help spur the marrow to produce neutrophils? I'm guessing so. Otherwise, I think it's just a matter of time. Delays are agonizing, I know, but unfortunately, they are sometimes necessary.

Apologies for the onslaught of posts! I’ve just had a call from the chemo unit as my blood test results are back. For the first time, my neutrophils are low, at 1.36. I’m astonished as, aside from being tired, I feel really well! I have another blood test tomorrow morning, to decide if chemo #5 can go ahead. I am desperate for it all to go as planned; I’m hanging on to my schedule for dear life! 🙈

Please, ladies, pass on any suggestions for things I can try to boost my blood count in the next 18 hours. I will try very hard to get a good sleep (challenging with a baby 😂), will eat well and drink a lot of water. I already have manuka honey on my porridge every morning. Please throw any other suggestions my way!!! 🤞🤷‍♀️ Xox

Hopefully the EC is kinder to you, Badboob. I never thought I would say this, but I preferred the FEC side effects over the T ones (once they had my antisickness meds tweaked). If you do feel sick, contact your team as they have a remarkable arsenal of antisickness medications they can give you.

Fiona, I found the mouthwash really helped me so hopefully it sorts out your mouth issues ASAP.

I saw my oncologist this morning and, as expected, she is reducing the dose of my two remaining docetaxel cycles. Thanks to the support from this forum, I feel surprisingly ok about it. So thank you ladies! I also managed to get a tentative agreement that we can go ahead with a trip to New York booked for March (arranged before diagnosis, but not cancelled with all of our other travel plans as I was hoping that we could still go). So I’m excited about the trip all over again! It is lovely to have something positive to look forward to! 👍

Best of luck tomorrow, Sar_ah, and on Friday, Aneeebel. One more down! 👍😘💕💐 xox

Badboob- you're not selling Docetaxel to me! I so want to get off this merry go round.  Hopefully, EC will be much kinder to you than T - I think I'd rather go through FEC again than the next two Ts.

I've just phoned the hospital helpline and I'm off to the chemist now to get some Diflam mouthwash.  I'd already started the Flucenazole tablets yesterday, so we'll see how I get on.

Take care ladies, and stay safe and warm.

Fiona xxx

Morning everyone,

First of all thank you all for your good wishes and kind posts. It’s great to know the support is out there when this poopy poop gets too much.

Docetaxel! Well what can I say. I have now had my fourth and last dose before moving onto EC next week. The symptoms you are all describing are very common. I had horrid mouth ulcers on cycle one. But not on the other three. Although my taste buts have disappeared. My skin has flared up on each cycle, it feels like I have fallen in a bed of nettles and throbs. It is now all over my hands, arms, chest, back and on this cycle my knees! Also on this cycle it has kept me awake for two nights, I rang my BCN who was if course AWOL, so in desperation I rang the emergency number. They suggested piriton, which I think helped a bit, but the funny thing about docetaxel is you suddenly feel much better from about day 15 and all the side effects subside! However, My nose has dripped constantly and my nails are very sore and a lovely shade of brown! I am finding it hard to do every day tasks with my fingers. Finally, I am now at world championships level for bursting into tears! 

So ladies, that’s  the joys of docetaxel, the good news is that I haven’t felt sick or had any joint pain, but I am expecting a whole load of different side effects with EC. At the end of the day if it’s doing it’s job then it’s worth it.

Stay strong everyone, stay strong.

x

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Fi, it does sound like oral thrush, please ring rapid response. Try and get fluconzole tablets, they’ll clear it up in no time 😘😘✨✨💕💕Shi xx