cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

October 2018 Chemo starters

Re: October 2018 Chemo starters

Good news about your bloods ElliesMum!! Last chemo!! Yippeeeeee! 

They usually ring me on a Thursday afternoon so hopefully I'll 'be good to go'... ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ

How disappointing about the test but at least your Oncologist gave you a bit more info!

I had an appointment with my Oncologist yesterday.... My mastectomy/lymph node surgery will be in 4 weeks!!!!! They used to do it 3 weeks after the last chemo but realised it was too soon so changed it to 4 weeks!!

I don't want to go... I might run away... ๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ˜ซ

Hope you're all well Ladies... Have a good day x ๐ŸŽ€

๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ’—

Haha I love the sign idea, Aneeebel. I donโ€™t think Iโ€™d be brave enough to bring a sign! ๐Ÿ˜‚

I passed my blood test today, so chemo is confirmed for Friday. Woohoo! ๐Ÿฅณ

Only downside is that my oncologist doesnโ€™t believe that I am eligible for genetic testing on the NHS. She explained why (overexpressing HER2+ is not passed on; very unlikely to have BRCA1 or 2 gene due to lack of family history and HER2+/ER- status; the NHS wouldnโ€™t test anyone in my situation for anything else). Iโ€™ve read a few scientific papers on it this afternoon and the research backs up what I was told. So Iโ€™ll try to accept that my diagnosis is unlikely to be due to a known genetic fault. If I find this causes me anxiety down to road, I might look at private testing. I feel ok about it at the moment though.

Hope all of you ladies are doing well. The end is in sight! Stay strong ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜˜

We'll have a party Shi... Ring the bell too! ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ›Ž๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿผ

I said I was going to make a poster saying "Last chemo today!" and carry it through the hospital!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Hope everyone is doing well! Stay strong Girls! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ๐ŸŽ€ x

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Fi ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜wonderful news so pleased for you. Celebrate finishing chemo doing what makes you happy all of you, itโ€™s a wonderful feeling and lots of us cried tears of joy and relief as we rang the ding ding out of the bell. If your units not got one then we can ๐Ÿ›Ž ๐Ÿ›Ž ๐Ÿ›Ž on here with you ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜ and ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ•บ๐Ÿ•บ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ•บ๐Ÿ•บwith a bit of chemo jukebox tune bit of billy ocean when the going gets tough ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ•บ๐Ÿ•บ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ’ƒ๐ŸปOn for you amazing lovely ladies, get your meet up planned us oct17 gals had weekend in London last August for our blow out celebration ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคชwell this journey blooming well called for it ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจโœจShi xx

Oooh wonderful way to celebrate ElliesMum! ๐ŸŽ‚๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿช

I went out for a walk with my friend and my Grandog along Lytham beach.... It was freeeeeeeezing and raining but it blew the cobwebs away! Made a change actually...I havent had the energy to do much for ages! โ˜”๏ธโ˜‚โ˜”๏ธโ˜‚โ˜”๏ธโ˜‚โ˜”๏ธ

Yay Fiona, so pleased for you!!! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ‘

Aneeebel, bird watching with your granddaughter sounds like a fabulous way to celebrate the end of chemo! What a cutie, with her binoculars. ๐Ÿฆ… ๐Ÿฅฐ Itโ€™s my husbandโ€™s birthday on Monday, so weโ€™re planning a weekend filled with cake and yummy food!๐ŸŽ‚ (The new fitness regime can start next week...๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜‚)

I hope youโ€™re all keeping warm and dry. It was snowing quite hard in Oxford this afternoon! Xox ๐Ÿ˜˜

Fabulous news ๐Ÿ’œFiona!! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ x

Afternoon Ladies, I hope you're all well.

Good news with my genetics appt, I'm all clear. Such a relief for me ๐Ÿคฃ ElliesMum, I would recommend pushing for a check if you can.

Shi, thanks and yes I started on fluconazole on day 3 together with the GCSF injections and today I've started on the antibiotics. Temperature just about behaving itself but I am so tired, it's another duvet day this afternoon ๐Ÿ˜ plus half a tub of ice cream helps the mouth ๐Ÿ˜‰ Fingers crossed they all do the job ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป

Have a lovely afternoon and stay strong ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช
๐Ÿ’œFiona xxx

Good Morning Ladies ๐ŸŽ€

Badboob and Reddi....that's very interesting info with regards to genetic testing!
Hopefully you'll manage to get the test ElliesMum! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

๐Ÿ’œFiona...how are you feeling? Hope your Genetics appointment goes well ๐ŸŽ€

ElliesMum...I'm not sure what to do to celebrate the end of chemo...nothing planned as yet, altho, my Grandaughter and I are doing "The Big Garden Bird Watch" over the w/e...does that count?? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿค๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿง She loves it...she takes the binoculars! Very professional! Haha!
Are you doing anything? ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰
I'm really pleased chemo is coming to an end...but it still feels 'strange' in a way! As if I'm 'going to be on my own!' ๐Ÿค”

Hope everyone is well.... Stay strong girls!

Thanks reddi!!!

Hi @ElliesMum: The 40yo cutoff was explained to me by my genetics counselor as being about limiting the testing to BRCA1, BRCA2, and PALB2; if I was younger and had a family history of cancers, then they may have also tested for another mutation -- I think it was the TP53 mutation, which is associated with Li-Fraumeni syndrome / early onset cancers. But Li-Fraumeni typically causes onset much earlier than 40yo -- more like childhood, teens, and twenties -- so it seems I may have the age cutoff wrong.  

BCC has some brief guides to genetic testing here and here. The rundown of family history factors that are taken into consideration is here.

But as I said, ask your team to ask! My team wasn't going to ask because they considered me low risk, but when I met with my genetics counselor she said they always test bilateral breast clinic patients under 50yo, and in fact, the BCC site suggests they test all bilateral breast cancer patients, full stop.

FWIW, my younger sister has been tested, too, and I checked: they did test her for CHEK2, and she's CHEK2 negative. I'm American and she lives in the US, and her private health insurance paid for the test because she had a first-degree relative with bilateral breast cancer under 50 (me!). Hilariously, they approved her test and she got her results before the NHS approved mine. But I went ahead with my testing because there was a chance she was negative and I was positive for a mutation. Her genetics counselor suggested that there may be a combination of small mutations across the genome, or an as-yet-not-identified mutation, in our family, given that I've thrown up 2 (or 3) different primary breast cancers before age 50. 

Thank you all for providing your experiences with (and knowledge of) genetic testing! It was both interesting and very useful to read the details of the studies youโ€™re a part of, Badboob! ๐Ÿ‘

Reddi, you mentioned the genetic tests that are offered to those over 40; do you happen to know if there is there any difference for those under 40? (Iโ€™m 33.) I will mention it again to my onc and see what she says!๐Ÿคž

Good to hear that the T has been a bit kinder to you this cycle so far, Fiona. I hope you manage to keep on top of the oral thrush.

Big hugs to you all. Canโ€™t wait for the final round on Friday! ๐Ÿ˜Š I hope youโ€™re planning something fun to celebrate, Aneeebel! ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜˜
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Fi have you started your fluconzole tablets for that slight oral thrush? Please phone your unit if youโ€™ve not got anything antibiotic wise, there is no such thing as slight oral thrush during chemo, please keep safe ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจShi xx

@Badboob Thanks so much for sharing the information about your genetic test results and the studies in which you are participating! The research on mutations in individual tumors and development of personalized immunotherapy treatments is super fascinating. So cool that you've had the chance to take part.

For those asking for genetic testing ๐Ÿงฌ, it's worth noting that, outside of research programmes like these, the NHS currently only tests for BRCA1, BRCA2, and PALB2 for people with first diagnosis of breast cancer over age 40 (and no big flags in family history). So the CHEK2 BC mutation is not part of the tests. As I understand it, this is partly because the mutation elevates risk, but not so much that it would strongly urge, say, preventive surgery, and all the more so because the mutation tends to be associated with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer, which can often be very effectively treated with endocrine therapy.

(FYI, I got tested specifically because I have synchronous bilateral breast cancer under age 50. Paternal grandmother and great aunt with breast cancer, and father with prostate cancer, were not considered sufficient family history to warrant testing, particularly as I am ER+/PR+ in both breasts and HER2+ in one. Negative for BRCA1, BRCA2, aand PALB2 mutations.)

Still, keep asking for the tests if you want them -- the genetics team do turn some people down, but they can't turn you down if your team never asks for the test. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And good luck with your final (and next to final) cycles -- you're in the home stretch! ๐Ÿ’ช

Morning everyone, I hope we are all looking forward to the new week and what joys it will bring. My big โ€œ treatโ€ is an appointment with the oncologist and of course more blinking blood tests before No 6 next week. ๐Ÿ˜.

So pleased Fiona that the docetaxel is being kind to you๐Ÿ˜‰ long my it last. And good luck to those of you getting your last dose this week, you lucky things....๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜.

i am not sure what the normal NHS protocol is for genetic testing. I am being treated at Addenbrookeโ€™s in Cambridge which has close links to the university, so they have a massive research department and budget.

I got invited to take part in two research programmes. The first is the Personalised Breast Cancer program, which they are offering to all newly diagnosed people. It has been on the news recently as the purpose is to try and tailor treatment to an individuals genome. All very clever stuff, and in the future theyhope to be able to predict which gene mutations cause which cancers and either offer increase pre cancer monitoring and tailored treatments. Ultimately they hope to be able to โ€œ correctโ€ faulty DNA before if causes a problem.

The second was for those people under going neoadjuvant chemo. They are looking for cancer markers in the bloodstream to try and understand reponces to therapy and hopefully lead to improved cancer treatments in the future.

I come from a family where I am the first person ( in living memory ) to have BC. The only other cancer is an Aunt who developed Lung Cancer aged 80 and died three years later in her sleep from a stroke! 

So it came as a bit of of a surprise when they found this mutation on my chek2 gene! While it is not as bad as the brac1&2 gene. It does increase your chance of bc from 12% to 24%. They think it might also be linked to bowel cancer as well. I have not been lucky enough to have a family of my own, so at least I canโ€™t have passed it on, but my sister is of course worried for her daughter! The NHS will offer DNA testing to my sister and if she is chek2 then her daughter. 

Elliesmum, I think if it it will put your mind at rest you should press for it. At least you will know what you are dealing with.

Sorry for the rather long ramble but I hope you found some of it of interest.

Hugs x

ElliesMum, I agree, ask for the test. It's a simple blood test but results take a while to come through. I'm tn and because I'm under 50 my bc consultant decided to offer it to me. I've got my appt with genetics tomorrow so hopefully that means I'll have the results and that will decide next step of surgery.

S/e of no 5 are considerably less than last cycle so far, I'm pleased to report. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป it continues that way. Think I did too much yesterday though, a 4 mile flat walk with a hot chocolate stop in the middle ๐Ÿ˜ I do have some joint pain (my onc has started me on injections from day 3 this time and for 7 days) and slight oral thrush again but so far I'm coping. Let's hope I can keep the temp down this week and not have a Casa NHS visit again.

Hope you all had a good and healthy weekend. My parents left yesterday morning so that me and hubby could have some time together ๐Ÿ’•

Aneeebel and ElliesMum, I hope you're both fighting fit for your last chemo this week ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐ŸฅŠ๐ŸฅŠ I really can't wait to be done with chemo ๐Ÿ’ฉ .

Take care ladies and have a lovely relaxing Monday ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’
๐Ÿ’œFiona xxx

Yes ElliesMum...ask again about the testing!
It would obviously put your mind at ease and we all know we have enough on our minds at the moment without something else to add to it!
It was my BC nurse who suggested it to me... I hadn't thought about the test to be honest!
I don't know if it's of any relevance to having the test but I'm ER positive!
Hope you manage to have the test at some point x
Not long now to C6!!!! Hope you're well! ๐Ÿ’—

Fiona...hope the side effects are being kind to you after yr chemo last week x๐Ÿ’—

Hope all you Ladies are fighting fit! ๐Ÿ’ช

๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’—
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Ellieโ€™s mum, I was a tn and got the gene test ok at my trust but I know others have had to really push for the test at their trusts, if you want it darling you fight for it, do what ever you need to do to get them to let you have it if you want it, because as you can say to them, with all due respect itโ€™s your journey not theirs. I know none of us like to make a fuss but you have to if you are not receiving the care you want. ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจShi xx

So pleased your chemo went ahead without any issues, Fiona. Only one more to go! ๐Ÿ‘

I was only told to take my dexamethasone steroids โ€œmorningโ€ and โ€œafternoonโ€? ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

Interesting to hear that a number of you fellow HER2+ ladies are having/have had genetic testing. When I asked my oncologist about it, she replied that my limited family history and receptor status (Iโ€™m also ER/PR-) meant that there was unlikely to be a genetic link, so I wouldnโ€™t need to be tested... I might ask again!

Xox ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜˜
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Fi great news about t being fine this time ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘we didnโ€™t use the red dot or castor oil till after chemo probably bit Ott but didnโ€™t want anything interfering with the chemo ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจโœจShi xx

Morning Ladies... From a wet and miserable Lancashire!!! ๐ŸŒงโ˜”๏ธโ˜‚

Badboob... I'm HER2+ as well!! ๐Ÿ˜ณ
I have an appointment with the Genetics clinic in February -I did have one in December but re-arranged it as it was 4 days after chemo and I had zero energy!

๐Ÿ’œFiona... Glad everything went well yesterday... How lovely that your parents have come down to look after you! ๐Ÿ’— Hopefully you'll continue to feel well! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ
I also take my steroids 1st thing in the morning and at lunchtime! Whoops!! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Have a fab w/e everyone... Stay strong! ๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿ˜˜

Morning All

So No 5 at reduced dosage safely administered with no adverse reaction - yay, so pleased about that.  However, I found out that I'm supposed to be taking my Dexamethasone steriods 12 hours apart so my mind is wide awake, even if my eyes aren't!  I've been taking them first thing in the morning then at lunchtime. 

But it's so good to know that there's only one to go now - I've just got to get through these 3 weeks with no problems and then I'm on the final one.Thank you all for your good wishes and kind thoughts, it always helps to know that there are people out there going through exactly the same fears and worries and pooh who want to wish you well and care.  I haven't got to the stage yet where I feel strange about not having any more chemo and what's life like after - I can't wait to be past this stage, to be honest.

Shi, thanks for the tip off about the hair products - I've had a look and they both look interesting products which I might try out.  I'm using the Palmoil that someone had previously recommended (and also vitamin E oil) and although I don't necessary use it every day, my nails don't seem to be suffering any discolouration (I haven't even used nail poiish despite buying two lots of water based polish. The only issue I've had wiith nails was when my vein was inflamed and I've got a black mark on my thumb nail which is growing out. 

Well, time to watch something on Netflix I think - hubby has got work on his mind so he's already downstairs watching TV - the guest room is occupied by my parents who've come down from Scotland to  stop for a few days to look after me as hubby has to work over the weekend.  It's great knowing that there's such a good safety net for us, isn't it, while we're all going through this.

Take care lovely ladies and stay safe and strong.

Fiona xxx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Fi ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ชyou got this Mrs ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ชand weโ€™ve got you ๐Ÿ‘ญ๐Ÿ‘ญ๐Ÿ‘ญ๐Ÿ‘ญ๐Ÿ‘ญOct ladies get your meet up planned your getting closer to it now โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธItโ€™s brilliant when you meet up ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜keep focused you are all doing amazing and donโ€™t forget the red dot lush shampoo bar called new and Jamaican black castor oil to rub on bonce too, helps hair come back quicker and nice and thick ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘mishy18 from july17 thread was the hair fairy who tipped us all off in this and worked a treat ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจโœจShi xx

First of all good luck Fiona for today, I will be holding your virtual hand and thank you all for your support. I feel much better today.

Very interesting to hear everyones next step. I will Iโ€™ll be having radiotherapy then Herceptin after my op. Being HER2 + has scared me plus I have tested positive for the chek2 gene. Not as widely studied as the brca1&2 but it still leads to an increase risk of breast cancer. So the genetic team at the hospital are keen to study my progress. It also has implications for my sister and niece.

Now then, whatโ€™s all this talk about hair growing back๐Ÿ˜. I have been told to expect that what hair I have on my head will fall out with the change of chemo๐Ÿฅด. So I am jealous of you all. I too shaved my legs just around the start of chemotherapy and I have an interesting โ€œstubbleโ€ on my lower legs, but my lady garden is now completely barren, much to the amusement of DH! I now know what itโ€™s like to have a Brazilian ( without the pain)๐Ÿ˜‰. But the best news is no pesky lip and chin hairs to worry about........

hey ho, onwards and upwards everyone.

Hugs x

My hair never completely dropped out... it's my remaining tiny wisps of hair that seem to be growing...no new hair as yet! ๐Ÿ’—

ElliesMum... Thank you for telling me about your experience with your mastectomy... I just can't get my head around a mastectomy!
I have got 2 Knitted Knockers in preparation tho! ๐Ÿ‘™

Have a fab day everyone x ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒป

Best of luck with chemo today, Fiona! Youโ€™re in the home stretch now. ๐Ÿ’ช

Badboob, Iโ€™m so sorry about your friend - and the insensitive comments. ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ค In response to your question, I had surgery before chemo (in August, like Sar_ah). I had a mastectomy and lymph node removal, but they didnโ€™t get clear margins. So Iโ€™ll be having some targeted radiotherapy after chemo, followed by herceptin for a year.

Aneeebel, while everyone is different, I found the mastectomy to be better than I expected. I had an immediate implant recon, but this got infected and had to be removed. So Iโ€™m now a uniboober (I suspect thatโ€™s not a real word, but you know what I mean! ๐Ÿ˜‚); they wonโ€™t consider any other recon options until at least a year after radiotherapy. It took a little bit of getting used to, but there are some excellent items that help. I love my knitted knocker, and I highly recommend ordering one ahead of your surgery. (I was given a โ€œsoftieโ€ to take home from hospital, but mine didnโ€™t keep its shape very well or stay put.) Iโ€™ve recently ordered an aqua knocker for when Iโ€™m allowed to go swimming again! ๐ŸŠโ€โ™€๏ธ

My little one is much better now, thank you for asking after her! ๐Ÿ˜˜ Somehow my immune system held out, and I just came down with a cold/sore throat - avoiding catching anything serious, thank goodness!

Sar_ah, your plan to celebrate with your family with a delicious meal after your final chemo sounds wonderful! Yay! ๐Ÿ‘ Like Aneeebel, I have a very sparse covering of soft, fluffy hair on my head now, which has started growing. Also, my lower leg hair never fully departed. Seriously disappointed! ๐Ÿ™ˆ I lost pretty much all of my hair everywhere else! ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ Eyelashes and eyebrows appear to still be thinning. The microblading is doing a good job of disguising the latter, though! ๐Ÿ‘

Have a fabulous Friday! Xox ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ‘Š

Sar_ah, my head hair is growing too, but like Aneeebel, no plaiting it yet. I noticed on Sunday it had started to come through and I can see a difference each day. It's good to have something to look forward to isn't it?

Just waiting for chemo 5, turned up 30 minutes early. Dreading it but hopefully it shouldn't be as bad this time ๐Ÿ’ช

Take care ladies, it's nearly the weekend ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ’œFiona xxx

Badboob...what an insensitive thing to say... I bet you could have thumped them! ๐Ÿ˜˜
I'm due to have a mastectomy (which I'm devastated about! ๐Ÿ’”) and lymph nodes removed at some point... Then radiotherapy and a year of Herceptin injections! I asked about a reconstruction but I would have to wait at least a year! I have an appointment with my oncologist next week so will find out more then!

๐Ÿ’œFiona...hope all goes well tomorrow! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ๐ŸŽ€

Sar_ah, I've got a different cream from my GP which I've only used a couple of times but the soreness seems to have reduced on my rash...so hopefully it will do the trick, but Thankyou for thinking of me! ๐Ÿ˜˜๐ŸŽ€
The very, very fine hair I still have left seems to be getting longer... Not quite in a plait as yet...I'm only talking about half a cm! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thinking of you all...

Evening ladies, hope your all feeling well and getting plenty of rest Smiley Happy
I canโ€™t believe how close we all are to the end of chemo! Itโ€™s a really strange feeling! I feel kind of nervous to be honest, Iโ€™ve got use what to expect from chemo now itโ€™s all going to change again.
Iโ€™ve got my final cycle on the 31st, Iโ€™ve been feeling fine after the last two so weโ€™re going to be naughty parents and break my son out of school (well say he has a dentist apt) and go celebrate with lunch and ALOT of cake Smiley Happy) I cant wait!
Elliesmum thatโ€™s so lovely that your mums coming to stay for a bit Smiley Happy how is your little girl now? Hope you were able to rest while she was at the in laws.
Aneeebel hows your rash now? I had an eczema type rash, my oncologist gave me a cream that really helped (and I seemed to have misplaced at the moment!) I can find you the name of it helps? Apparently itโ€™s good for the dec rash?!
Fiona hope tomorrow goes well for you. I like Elliesmum had none reduced and the side effects have been much easier to manage Smiley Happy fingers crossed you have the same experience.
Badboob, I hope your ok after today and also after what that insensitive t*** asked you! Some people ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ
Iโ€™m on to rads after chemo, I had surgery in August, Iโ€™m not sure when the tablets and injections start though, Iโ€™m finding it all a bit confusing to be honest!
Oh is anyoneโ€™s hair growing?! I think mine might be and I def have some hairs on my legs! I never thought Iโ€™d be excited by hairy(ish) legs! I donโ€™t want to get too excited as I know it could drop out again anytime but I canโ€™t help that my hair legs have made me feel a little brighter over the last few days!
โค๏ธ

Badboob, I think the tiredness may just be an accumulation of the drugs. I was 3 FEC and tomorrow will be on my 2nd of 3 T Docetaxal and am definitely more tired and less energetรฌc than I was on FEC. I am so relieved my dosage is being reduced tomorrow.

And my thoughts are with you after your friend's funeral. I bet you wanted to punch that inconsiderate person who asked such an insensitive question ๐ŸฅŠ Do people not think how we feel?

I'm due for a lumpectomy too after chemo followed by rads. I have an appt with the breast surgeon in a couple of weeks and will hopefully have a date given to me then.

And we have a bell in our chemo unit so come 8 Feb I think I might be ringing it ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm so jealous of you, ElliesMum and Aneeebel, that you're on the final round next week. I really hope it all goes well for you both. I was really stressed this morning, worrying about tomorrow's cycle but the onc was more than happy to reduce the dosage. Let's hope the piriton injection first stops the allergic reaction.

ElliesMum, how's your little girl now? ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป she's getting better.

Take care ladies, stay safe and warm (it's been blooming cold here in Derbyshire) and ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช
๐Ÿ’œFiona xxx

Afternoon everyone, glad to see we are all doing relatively well๐Ÿ˜‰. I am half way though my 5 th of 7! My first experience of EC has been interesting to say the least. Gone are all the strange SEs of the docetaxel. To be replaced by an overwhelming tiredness. I feel better now but I just canโ€™t do too much or I am wiped out.

Attend my friends funeral today who died at Christmas, sobbed like a baby all the way though the service and then set her daughter off at the wake. โ˜น๏ธ. Got completely fed up with everyone telling how well I looked! But the best comment was some asked what my prognosis was๐Ÿ˜ฑ What was I expected to say???? 

Anyway, very interested in whatโ€™s next for everyone? I know some of you have already had an op. I am set for a lumpectomy, but will know more when I see the surgeon early Feb. 

Many congrulations to those of you just just about to have your last chemo. Give yourself a โญ๏ธ Gold Star.

Hugs x

Doesn't it seem 'strange' Elliesmum!!!
There were several points when I seriously didn't think I would make it to No.6!!!
My Oncologist even cancelled my chemo after 4 sessions as she was convinced I was going to be ill again so when no.4 was relatively kind to me she had to re-book 5 and 6! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช
Perhaps I'm stronger than I thought!!!! ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿค”

Hope all you lovely ladies are doing well! ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒป

Best of luck with round 5 tomorrow, Fiona! I hope the reduced dose helps you - it made a big difference to me!!!๐Ÿคž๐Ÿ˜˜

Aneeebel, I canโ€™t quite believe our final chemo session is only a week away. Youโ€™re almost there! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’

ElliesMum, well done on going to work! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ
And you too Fiona...๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ
I'm still struggling to walk and breathe at the same time...never mind go to work!
I've actually been back to the Docs as my eczema was getting painful -doc thinks the cream was too strong as your body is very sensitive when your on chemo so I have something else to try!!

๐Ÿ’œFiona, hope you get on better with your reduced dose of chemo! I'll be thinking about you! ๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿ˜˜
My last one is next Friday... That seems strange actually! Seemed such a long 18 weeks when I started chemo and all of a sudden it's my last session!!

Thinking of you all.... Take care X

Morning Ladies, I hope you're all well.

Well done ElliesMum on doing more days at work. รŒ went in yesterday for a few hours for a meeting but really struggled.

Aneeebel, I hope your excema isn't too bad.

I've been to the onc today and chemo 5 is on tomorrow but at a reduced dosage and piriton injection first ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'm quite relieved about that ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Take care ladies, and stay safe ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐ŸฅŠ๐ŸฅŠ๐Ÿ‘ญ๐Ÿ‘ญ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’
๐Ÿ’œFiona xxx

How is the eczema, Aneeebel? I hope it has settled down for you. Chemo really is the gift that just keeps on giving!๐Ÿ™ˆ

Iโ€™m feeling ok and have managed a few more days at work this week, which has been good. Thinking of all of you ladies and hoping youโ€™re doing well! Xox ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜˜

Hi ElliesMum...glad you're feeling a bit better ๐ŸŽ€
I'm not sure what people do to mark the end of chemo...I'm pretty sure my unit doesn't have a bell either!
I feel a bit better at last Thankyou...although, I went to the Docs with a horrid rash on the top of my legs/one bum cheek....and was told its excezma!!

Hope all you other Ladies are well!

Keep your chin up Girls! Not long now until chemo is over!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜˜๐ŸŒผ

Morning Elliesmum, good news that you've only got one more chemo cycle to go! When I finished rads I took in biscuits and cakes for the staff and I think that was quite usual. I'd meant to do the same for the chemo unit as well, but hadn't got round to buying anything when it got to my last cycle, so I took them in some chocolates to say thank you when it was Christmas. I think other ladies on my Oct '17 thread talked about taking things in for the staff when they finished chemo.

Hope your little girl is feeling better now x

How is everyone feeling today? I hope you are all doing as well as possible, given the circumstances. Now Iโ€™m starting to feel a bit better, itโ€™s finally dawning on me that I only have one cycle to go!?! How do you mark the final chemo session? Iโ€™ve heard of some units having bells, but ours doesnโ€™t. Iโ€™ve been treated at a fabulous nurse-led unit at our relatively small local NHS hospital, and I couldnโ€™t have asked for better care. Would bringing a cake and chocolates for everyone who works at the unit be appropriate? Or is that a bit strange, since I will undoubtedly be back in the following weeks anyway (to get my line out, as well as post-chemo checks). Any thoughts/suggestions? Xox ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜˜

Hi Everyone...

The Birthday Girl had a lovely day, Thank you! ๐ŸŽ‚๐Ÿ’–

ElliesMum... how lovely that your Mum is coming to help out! You'll probably wonder how you managed without her! And now your little girl has gone to her Grandparents you can have a rest! (Try not to feel
too mean.. it'll probably do you good!) ๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ’•
Yes, one more chemo to go! Ours are on the same day I think! ๐Ÿ’ช

Thank you everyone for thinking about me... I still feel ridiculously yukky! My temperature still isn't 'behaving' altho, it hasnt gone over 38* today so maybe it's settling down at last!! ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž

I only have my routine appt with my Oncologist and another appointment for an echocardiogram... nothing else as yet!
Maybe they've forgotten about me!! ๐Ÿ™„

Yes Fiona.... not long now until the ๐Ÿ’ฉ chemo is finished with!!!! Yippeeeeeeee!

I hope you Ladies are coping with your horrid s/e... ๐ŸŽ€

Have a lovely evening xx ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒธ๐Ÿต๐ŸŒน

Stay strong! ๐Ÿ’ช

๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’–

Hi kathyx, we have had travel insurance with HSBC (through a certain type of bank account) for years. They have been brilliant: fully - and quickly - refunding all expenses for a holiday that was booked for October 2018. They offered to continue to cover us on the existing policy, with anything related to breast cancer excluded, or we could upgrade to have breast cancer-related issues covered. It was surprisingly easy to arrange (one phone call). I donโ€™t, however, know what third-party insurance provider HSBC work with ๐Ÿ™ˆ... I hope thatโ€™s a little bit helpful. Good luck! Xox

Hi Elliesmum - I just wondered what medical insurance you've been able to take out for travelling to the States. I know lots of people have been refused cover until after the end of all treatment, so it would be really useful to know of a company that's more flexible. Cheers.

Hello lovely ladies,

Iโ€™m a bit all over the place at the moment!๐Ÿ™ˆ After a productive Thursday and a quiet Friday, I suddenly felt really unwell this morning. It was the push I needed to accept help ๐Ÿ˜ž and my little girl has now gone to stay with my in-laws. I feel a lot of Mum guilt, for abandoning my little one and abdicating my parental responsibilities. I know she loves staying with her grandparents, and they love having her stay, I just feel like I should be looking after her when sheโ€™s unwell! ๐Ÿ˜ข Hopefully we both feel better tomorrow.๐Ÿคž๐Ÿ’•

Fiona, I too seem to have an endless list of hospital appointments. Iโ€™m trying to not let them overwhelm me and am just taking things one appointment at a time. I love the idea of a holiday to look forward to - great suggestion! ๐Ÿ’ช My husband has arranged a 5 day trip to New York to celebrate the end of chemo, which Iโ€™m really looking forward to. Everything can be cancelled/rescheduled (so I donโ€™t stress about timescales changing) and he even booked the โ€œcomfyโ€ seats on the plane, which will make travelling with an 18 month old easier (although everyone else will probably hate us ๐Ÿ˜‚).

To cap it all off, my wonderful Mum has arranged to come and stay with us from early Feb until the end of rads. She had offered to come earlier, but I resisted as I didnโ€™t want her to have to put her life on hold for months. (My family all live in Australia.) Iโ€™m so pleased that she is coming to stay! I feel silly for not accepting help sooner.๐Ÿ™ˆ

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend. Xox ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜˜
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Fi get that holiday booked โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธWe even managed a few days in the lakes between chemo finishing and rads starting sending you โœจโœจโœจโœจโœจโœจfor results next week ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜ elliesmum hope your little one is on the mend and you are keeping safe. โค๏ธโค๏ธEveryone ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจโœจShi xx
Highlighted

Morning all, how are we today?

Aneeebel, I hope you're starting to feel a bit better and your temperature is staying in the right area. How was your granddaughter' s sleepover?

Sar_ah, I hope you're ok after this week's chemo ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป

ElliesMum, well done on a day at work. Since changing to T I seem to have lost the confidence to go to work. I'm supposed to go in next Wed but we'll see how I feel, I may chicken out.

Badboob, sorry to hear you're feeling the effects of EC. I wonder if it's the change to EC (or T or anything else) that makes us all so tired. Our bodies have got used to one form of abuse and now have to deal with some other form of domestic.

As for the nails issue, I've been using vitamin e oil (like Bio-oil but cheaper from Superdrug) and also Palm oil. Nails seem to be ok but 3 are still painful on left hand. I'm trying to keep them fairly short too.

So I had my gynae appt yesterday. Yay, I've got fibroids ๐Ÿ˜‰ I have to say I was relieved to hear that. I'll have another scan in 6 months but they don't want to do anything as they'll likely shrink with chemo induced menopause (if that ever happens).

Are we all getting lots of hospital appointments coming through now as we approach the end of chemo? I've got onc and chemo next week, genetics (results hopefully) the following week, then breast care consultant then back to Onc and last chemo ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป A busy 4 weeks. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to take hubby away for a weekend in March just to celebrate the end of this grim stage (once I'm past the danger zone).

Well, Ladies, I hope you all have a lovely weekend. Stay safe and warm and ๐Ÿ’ช
๐Ÿ’œFiona xxx

FYI, I'm now 8 weeks since last docetaxel infusion (June 2018 starter), and I've kept all of my fingernails and toenails -- including a bunged-up toenail that my BCN was quite sure I'd lose because it was already so damaged! I did get Mees lines (white horizontal lines) on my nails during FEC, but these are growing out, and they were at times sore, but they haven't become loose.

I kept my nails trimmed short, especially right before each chemo infusion. I applied OPI cuticle oil every day, including during FEC. (I got mine from Nail Direct, but you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.) I painted my nails a very dark brown for the first cycle of T, but because my nails tended to be dry/brittle and prone to breaking before chemo, I was worried about not being able to moisturize them, as well as the effect of nail polish remover. So in week 3 of T no. 1, I stripped them and started applying Polybalm, which was trialed at Bedford Hospital, Cambridge, at least daily; I also applied sunblock if I planned to be outdoors without gloves/mittens. I kept up the Polybalm for 5 weeks after my 4th and final T infusion, and still use what's left once or twice a week, when my nails look a bit dry. ๐Ÿ’…

I don't know how much any of this helped, if it helped at all; it might also be that I kept my nails because my T dose was reduced to about 80% because of other side effects.

Hi Badboob, I didn't use any oil on my nails, I think that might be buddyfan as Shi has said. I did use plasters though to try and stop my nails breaking too much! It didn't look great, but it did stop my nails from breaking too low down and being painful and it prevented me from catching them on anything.

I was on FEC and like you, found it made me feel exhausted and I slept alot too! x

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi badboob, think a lot of us found either fingernails or toe nails did one on the t, think some people did use plasters and stern strips to aid fingernails, itโ€™s pot luck as to whether you manage to keep them, not useful I know but youโ€™ve got to try whatever you can. I think jencat or buddyfan on oct17 thread also rubbed some type of oil into cuticles too, might be worth jumping on that thread and asking? ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจShi xx

Morning everyone,

lโ€™ve been lying low since my 5th chemo on Tuesday. But have been catching up with everyoneโ€™s news on here. Gosh we are all going though this arenโ€™t we! I hope those of you who have changed to Docetaxel are doing ok.

I have found EC to be a totally different experience. Boy has it wiped me out. I had a funny turn while they administer it and had to call the duty doctor, who when she arrived was even more stressed than I was.  I suppose the up side is that I can sleep! Just that I canโ€™t stop sleeping! I am just so thankful that I only have two sessions to go. How many more is everyone having, we must be getting to the end of this poop.  

Very impressed Elliesmum that youโ€™ve been to work, and completely sympathise with your sentiments about what people say to you! I work freelance and have turn down loads of work as I canโ€™t guarantee the quality as chemo brain is a bit of a problem at the moment and is driving me mad! Hope your little one is soon over her HFM infection. 

Anyone starting to lose their nails? Mine are very sore. I rang my BCN yesterday who was sympathetic but explained that all fast growing cells are affected by the chemo, and yes I could lose some or all. She suggested using plasters and sterristrips to hold them down! 

Stay strong ladies we are all getting there, slowly........

Hugs xx

Great to hear, Sar_ah, that chemo number 5 is done! ๐Ÿ‘ Sorry to hear that your little one is unwell - it makes everything so much tougher. Fingers crossed you can catch up on some sleep today and the side effects are kind to you. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿ’•

Good work on the hilly walk, Fiona, but make sure you donโ€™t overdo things (says the stubborn person whoโ€™s not good at taking her own advice)! ๐Ÿ™ˆ I survived my day at work yesterday, but will need to spend most of today in bed to recover. Very pleased I managed to avoid lashing out at anyone! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’ช It was a super productive day, actually. Yay! First day I made it in to the office since mid-Dec; Iโ€™ve otherwise been working from home as and when I felt up to it. A little surprised at how totally wiped-out I feel today. I guess I should take my own advice and take things a little easy...๐Ÿ˜‚

Aneeebel, sorry again that youโ€™re continuing to feel so rough. ๐Ÿ˜ž I really hope your team can change something to help you through this rubbish. Are you scheduled to have one more round of chemo? Youโ€™ve done so well to make it this far with all the horrible side effects youโ€™ve had to deal with. I hope your granddaughter had a lovely birthday. Itโ€™s great to have some little things to celebrate, and 10 is indeed a โ€œbigโ€ birthday! ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ‚๐Ÿฅฐ

Xox ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ’