cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

Thank you runnerbean ... I am constantly saying pardon or excuse me but as I am in the room on my own no idea who I am apologising too 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ruth I read bf as boyfriend in my head then saw hubby further down and thought you saucy minx but now realise you meant best friend 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I can honestly say for me once it was out there so to speak it became easier and some people did message me and I chose not to reply and thought if they don’t like it f@ck em x
Glad people are feeling better with their wigs I have wore mine since brave the shave when I have gone out in public but have also gone out with my number 2 shave too and today a woolly hat cause my head felt cold
I have decided if people don’t like my fuzzy head, my bald head (when it happens) or my wigs f@ck them too.
Sorry for the language but our fight is enough without having to worry about other people’s reactions xx

Also forgot to say I was burping all the time in the first few days after chemo but it’s settled down now a week in so I no longer have to apologise for being a pig all the time 🐷xx

Hi ladies, well done to everyone having their first chemo today. That’s one down and a little further along the treatment path we go. I picked up my wig today as well and am really pleased with it. It’s just like my own hair but longer, was going to have it cut to the same length I have now but might stick with the longer look for a while and see how it goes. Also had another couple of inches cut off my own hair in preparation. We’re going to go for the big chop next week xx

Ha ha Ruth, I love the idea of just waxing the front so you don't have to see them!

Hi everyone - congrats to everyone who had their first chemo today - also thanks to everyone who is cold capping for all the advice - I hope to join you all next Thursday and will be happily popping the pills before hand based on your experiences!!
Just received some lovely presents and flowers from the Mums at the school gate. Having cancer is a bit like a birthday with all the presents and flowers! Just a shame it has some pretty rubbish downsides!!
I did chuckle catching up on everyone's posts today - I was out in London yesterday enjoying a last frivolous shop and dinner with my bff - it was so nice to just forget everything and act like it was any other trip to town.
Hubbie, daughter and I are going to our fav steakhouse on Saturday as well - I intend to order the most expensive bottle of red on the menu as a last hurrah (and then leave hubbie with the bill Smiley Wink

I have also been letting body hair go wild figuring what was the point in paying to go to a salon but then decided to home wax the front of both legs so I don't have to see it when I look down 😁 Guess that makes me a patchwork gorilla 🦍 😉

SueW I have also been trying to figure out how to 'come out' on Facebook and am inspired by your message (I have created a private instagram where I share my more private thoughts and feelings with close friends and family). What I find most difficult is having to go back to the shocked moment when people first find out - being dragged back in time to that moment and those feelings is totally exhausting.

This forum is such a great place to be with people who are exactly in the moment with you - thank you again to everyone.

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend in the sunshine and a big fingers crossed for no bad events or surprises 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Ruth xx

Sorry you got burping meesh but reassuring to know it’s not anything weird 👍x thank you

Hi SueW, sounds like you're doing well. I didn't fancy anything else to drink but water either and I also had the burping. I figured it was better to be burping than get heartburn!

Meant to say got to have a picc line apparently my veins not brilliant and they donet want to delay treatment if they thicken x

Hi ladies I have slept this afternoon woke up a little fuzzy headed and took some paracetamol
Opened a bottle of orange flavoured water earlier but taste weird so now drinking plain water which tastes fine
I was given anti sickness in the drip and a tablet that is slow release over 5!days with the champagne don perignon one as back up if I feel sick but ok so far
wee not red anymore it did go quickly x I got steroids for next 5 days then white cell booster injections from Tuesday for 5 days but said I will do them myself
Put antibacterial gel in my porch and a sign to say gel your hands lol not taking any risks
Going to put sea band on just as a precaution
One thing I have noticed is I keep burping that happened to anyone else?
Sorry feel like I rambled there
How is everyone else? Xxx

Cassie i am day 17 and yesterday i noticed my hair falling. Today ot is just coming out in my fingers, in the hairbrush, whenni move my head. It is just coming out!! Hope you are ok Cassie xx

Cold cap was good. I quite liked it. The biscuits were good too 😳

Ha ha Cassie, I better definitely not go anywhere near a zoo at the moment! 

Well done Dizzybrummie and Jellytot, nice to see some fellow cold capers, not as bad you expect is it? Jellytot I also felt a bit woozyheaded after, not sure if that's the chemo or the frozen head! Rest up now and take your meds as instructed!

Day 16 chaffinch of chemo 1 FEC. Hair isn't really falling out yet but just feels weird. Only hair gone so far is the lady garden (probably tmi) had to shave legs tho as I was scared to go to the zoo in case they wanted me in their gorilla exhibit. Eyebrows and eyelashes so far seem ok

What day are you on Cassie?

Thanks for popping over Mai congrats on your last treatment. It's great to hear from those who have ridden the chemocoaster before us.

Dizzybrummie and jellytot well done and your first chemo. 1 down and 1 step along the road.

The top of my head has started to feel a bit strange today. If anyone has had really long hair and tied it up for long periods of time. That feeling when you let your hair down at the end of the day and your follicles feel weird. Feels like that. If that makes any sense.

Cassie x

Well done all, one down ✅

Hi everyone. First day of chemo today and it’s almost time to take off the fabulous icecap.

Well done SueW and Jellytot. Take it easy now and take your meds xxx

Hi all. Just got home, all went well no Argos trainees thankfully! Cold cap was barely noticeable after the first 10 mins but I had taken both ibuprofen and cocodomol prior to treatment. So far just a bit woosy, wouldn't have wanted to drive home. Planning on a quiet weekend drinking plenty and taking my meds as advised. Fingers crossed . Hope everyone else is ok too xx

Thanks Mai7 it’s so useful to have an insight into it all going forward. I read the whole September thread before I started and because I started early in October I dip into both. It helps a lot

Just got back from picking my wig up. It doesn't look too bad, my friend was really impressed. It just looks a bit bouffy on top so hoping it might calm down a bit. One of the curly ones did make me look like a little old lady with a dodgy perm! The one I've chosen whilst not completely perfect looks as near to my real hair as I'm going to get (still looks like a wig to me though). I wore it to come home as my hair and underneath looked atrocious and I didn't have a hat. So at least that's something else I've got out of the way! Sent a picture to my mum and she didn't realise it was my wig, just said I needed a haircut! OH just thought I'd done something different with my hair. Smiley Frustrated

Thanks Mai!

Well done SueW, yes I was surprised at how quickly I had the red wee, but it does go fairly quickly too, especially if you drink loads.  I hope you are at the cherry end of the scales too for the SEs. Take it easy now the worst is over hopefully!

Community Champion

Just wanted to wish you all the best ladies on your chemo journey. I'm from the May 2017 starters and had my last of 8 FEC-Ts a week ago.  It feels very daunting at the start but just keep looking after yourselves and it will all be behind you in no time at all. I did it and so can you. Feel free to pop over to our thread if you want to ask any questions.  We're a lovely, friendly bunch and we all have a lot of chemo experience now. Best wishes and enjoy the weekend. Xxx

The red wee was so strange. At any other time it would send us straight to A&E.

Hoping to get out and about this weekend. Make the most of the nice weather.

The red wee comes and goes very quickly.
Hopefully you will be at the 🍒Bakewell end of the side effects scale. Just take it easy for the rest of the day and drink loads x

Just got out feel ok at the moment already got red wee lol x

Hi Cassie, I've not had any afternoon naps at all either, although I have expect that'll change as I get further into the treatment. I'm also working from home this week and planning to go into the office next week. I was on steroids for the first 3 days after chemo but was told to take them all first thing in the morning (probably why no naps during the day)!

My sleep pattern has been ok. Been getting around 8 hours per night. Only had afternoon naps the first couple of days after chemo. Though I didn't have any steroids to take after chemo so I think that helped. Last 2 mornings I've woken up with a headache which wears off. I tend to feel better later in the day. I've been working from home this week which has been good to keep my mind ticking over.

Hi chaffinch, you're probably right with the doing more on the good days. I've been lucky as I seem to have good days all this week and am more or less back to normal apart from my sleep. I don't normally have a problem with that but I either can't get to sleep or I wake up at 3-4 and then can't back to sleep again. Last night I probably nodded off at about 12 but I did manage to sleep until 6.

Best wishes SueW, Jelly Tot and mrsrims and any other chemo starters today.
I think the good day followed by bad day thing is true because we tend to seize the good days and do a lot so we pay the following day. I actually felt close to normal until just before bed last night then I crashed and felt queasy had some banana and yoghurt and went straight to bed slept well and just feel a bit tingly and tired this morning. My sleep pattern has returned to normal which is good but I’m having to be strict with myself to keep it that way. Bed at 11-12 up at 8-9 no naps. I find if I try to go to bed earlier I can’t sleep and once I’m awake that’s it.
Off out to see Hollie McNish a spoken word poet at our local literature festival tomorrow evening, I’m looking forward to it. It’s the only event which we booked this year normally we do quite a few. I’ll be the one in the corner in the surgical mask 😷 lol

Runnerbean, I know the DVT must've been a big blow especially with thought of the daily injections but at least you're not too apart from that so that's something good to focus on!

Karana, I know what you mean about not wanting to look like a cancer patient. I have a crocheted slouchy hat I made last winter and plan to make some more I think, as I'm not really happy with the ones I've bought. I've been wearing it already as with the cold capping I'm only washing my hair once a week and by the end of the week it looks pretty rough!

let us know how you go today ladies!

Like that idea Sue!!

i bet one of you will be asking the nurse if they have ever worked in Argos now 😂

Good luck girlies...look forward to hearing how you get on later xxx

Community Champion

Ladies

Just wanted to wish you all well with your chemo today.  Helena xxx

Hi Meesh73, apart from the DVT I feel pretty good. The pain from that has gone with the medication so one week on the worst I can say is I’m still a bit tired and my throat is sore. I hope the next sessions follow a similar pattern as it gives me hope I can still get to do the things I enjoy while having treatment xx

Yes a knitted woolly beeny hat 👍
Mrsrims also starts today I believe jelly tot good luck we can compare notes later 🤣 and I best not get an argos trainee either x

Good luck to all those starting chemo today, it really won’t be as bad as you think. I have a busy day today including my first wig fitting. Don’t forget your drinks and something to entertain yourself. Hopefully no Argos trainees either! Xx

Good luck Sue & Jelly tot 😘Sending you some positive vibes and smiley faces to help you 😊😊 

Hat wise are you talking woolly?  I'm not liking the idea of a wig all the time but also don't want to look like a cancer victim hat wearer!!!

Im worried I sound like an alcoholic too lol!!  I think it's just the fact I run a pub and i thought I'd find not drinking difficult...I think we are allowed the odd wine or g&t but people I have spoken to have said it has made them feel a bit strange and I think we have enough strange feelings to contend with!!  My brother has just messaged me to say he's making boozy cake for my Big Pink party next Friday 😱 

Have woken up this morning and everything feels dry...dry mouth, dry throat, dry eyes.....

xx

Good luck to all todays starters xx
I seem to have a really good day then I'm shattered the next day! I have a cold and cough and feel achey and tired this morning. I wonder how i am going to get through 7 lots of chemo if this is all after 1. I am day 17 and my 2nd chemo is next Wednesday! Does anyone else feel like this pr is it just me xx

Good luck Sue, Jellytot and everyone else starting today. We're all thinking of you!

Runnerbean how're you feeling today? I meant to ask yesterday, apart from the DVT how have you been feeling? 

Good luck Sue and everyone else starting today. Am also en route and kind of keen to just get going. Hope I don't get an Argos trainee though !! Love to all xx

Good luck Sue xxx

Morning lovely people just en route to chemo 1 wearing a woolly hat knitted by my mom to keep my shaved head warm
Wore a wig last night when I went out for hubby birthday but my head was really hot lol xx

Claire, that was my feeling x I wasn’t fussed about a wig at all, but having bought a pretty hat, it now all looks too ‘cancer patient’! I didn’t realise I wasn’t ready for that 😂

Cassie, I definitely need to try the screaming 😆😱

Ali, I absolutely love that analogy! I think I’ll use that with my son to help explain it all 🙂

Karana, I didn’t actually realise that I could drink during chemo! I was on antibiotics for a couple of weeks before it started and then just assumed, I think! I’m so conscious of my water intake, I haven’t even dared waste that space with a glass of red 🍷😂If you have a good non-alcoholic margarita recipe, I’d love that!!!

Love to everyone xx

(I haven’t seen Patchwork Girl’s name appear for a while? Is she OK?)

Hi all,
I'm awake early again! So good to hear that your second cold cap was less awful than the first Cherry! I didn't like it at all and have been thinking of not having it the second time!
All new starters today- be confident, take a book, some cards, some snacks and a smile. It's going to be alright- we all did it and are still laughing, living and carrying on! It's a long day, good if you can have someone with you, but there's always someone in the chair next to you to share experiences with and the nurses have good advice. If cold capping take paracetamol half an hour before and concentrate on your deep breathing for the first twenty minutes then you will be back to chatting, texting and calling your friends and family and whether it's in for three or four hours you won't be bothered after that! Take a wide sweat band for your forehead too. Love to you all! Hugs xx

Oh, my pube discussion was on the September thread so maybe I do have one side effect: chemo brain!! 

😬

Evening Karana

Yes, what a strangely bonding experience going through cancer treatment is. As you say, discussing my pube status with complete strangers who, in the space of a few short weeks, have become close confidantes. 

Re. teetotal I've had no booze since September 16th (not that I'm counting!!) I love my cocktails but have decided I'm going to try and stack every card in my favour. No booze during treatment. (Maybe a glass at Christmas and my birthday.) But I'm going to research the very best mocktail recipes. I think I've always liked classic cocktails due to the interesting flavour combinations so I'm sure with a little effort I can create that aspect sans l'alcool. 

Oh and I'm having a Think Pink party in the pub next Friday, have started selling raffles tickets today, better make sure I get some raffle prizes!!   Also gonna wear a pink wig!!  If anyone's in the Norwich area feel free to pop in 💖🦄 🎂 

Only just managed to catch up on this afternoons/this eves posts and would like to say thank you for putting a smile on my face...it's so refreshing being able to converse with people that are going through, feeling & thinking the same!!!  When else in life will we be able to discuss pubes falling out with people we've never met (by the way I also haven't shaved mine coz want to see when they start falling out, bizarre I know!!)

Ive had a good day again today, went out for coffee with a couple of good friends and actually felt like I was a normal person!!  Only strange thing is my speech, I keep having to really concentrate on what I'm saying, it's a bit like when you've had 1 too many wines but your trying to act sober!!  Talking of wine i still haven't had any and don't even fancy it, that's 8 days without an alcoholic drink which is very unlike me, has anyone else become tea total? 

Good of luck again for starters tomorrow xxx

Good luck Sue. I'm sure you'll take it totally in your stride as you did shaving your hair. And my very best wishes to anyone else starting their chemo. I promise you it won't be anywhere near as bad as you've built it up to be in your head. 

🍒 Bakewell xx