Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

Linda, I had my chemo at Medway hospital (Kent) Luckily my daughter was with me when I was told I couldn't continue with the cold cap as I was able to get her opinion as well-she agreed that my hair looked too thin on top. I did lose quite a lot of hair when I was using the cold cap, but I managed to disguise it by wearing a hat and as I still had quite a bit at the front and sides, it didn't look noticable, especially as it was Winter.

I'm not sure that I lost all my hair completely once I'd stopped the cold cap, although my daughter said that I did! I used the cap during FEC and stopped using it during T, but my hair seemed to start growing back fairly quickly whilst I was still having chemo.

I haven't used the Lush bar that helps growth, I didn't seem to need to. I've got quite a bit on top now and my hair is thick. (I finished chemo in March) Only problem is that it doesn't seem to have a style and I think I look like one of the Munchkins from the Wizard of Oz Smiley Happy x

@Jencat Did you keep your hair? Which hospital? I have had 1 docataxel and have 2 or 3 more docataxel. Paxman said to continue with cold cap as they have had good results with docataxel. I did wonder if i may kèp my hair as not lost any yet on first docataxel.

Interesting. I have had a message from Paxman and they said use a paper theatre cap or gauze so looks like it is not true. They are calling me tomorrow to discuss further and have asked for an e mail i can print off to take on Tuesday when i sè onco and Wed when i have chemo. Thanks all.x

I don't know if that is correct or not Linda, but the same was said to me on my 4th session and I had to stop using the cold cap. I was told it would stick to my head and be very painful x

Community Champion

Hi Linda there are a number of threads about the cold cap in this section you may find someone who has had a similar experience https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/bd-p/4435. you could also maybe ask about this in the Ask the Nurses section https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Ask-Our-Nurses/ct-p/Asknurses/interaction-style/forum

Not sure if this is the right thread re cold capping? The hospital refused to use the cold cap last time as i dodnt have enough hair to pull over the top. I suggested putting gauze and a hairnet on the top but they said it may stick to my head as per the Paxman instructions. Is this correct? I have messaged Paxman but not heard back yet. Many thanks.

Sometimes Sue, it's a bit hit and miss! Seem to be getting recent one's now, but texts people sent during chemo are somewhere in cyberspace! Smiley Happy

Thanks for pm xx

Jencat just aentbyou a pm x

Jencat is your phone receiving texts yet ? Xxx

2 weeks today ladies! Smiley Happy Although I need to pm Sue otherwise I will only be with you in spirit! I haven't a clue where we're supposed to be meeting or what time! Smiley Happy xx

Hello ladies! Haven't been on for a while as I've been camping in the Lake District. I can definitely recommend camping to relieve the hot flushe, they were pretty good whilst I was away but I came home and they're back with a vengeance 😟I dont think the heat heat is helping 😱

Buddyfan, those pictures were beautiful and the dragonfly one is definitely a contender for the country file calendar! 

Mishy, Jencat sorry to hear about your troubles with returning to work. Hope you can both get something sorted soon.

Kirsten, well done! I need to sponsor you. I'll do that in a minute 🙂

Just over 2 weeks until the meet up. I'm so excited 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Reboot yes you need pc yo upload photos x
Well done lovely lady x
Jencat see you in less than 3 weeks
I am excited beyond belief xxx

Buddy lovely to hear from you x what an amazing place you have there i don't blame you for spending alot of the time there as it must be beautiful at this time of the year, Buddy my gp has recommended i do just that there is a consultation meeting 14th August which i will be 'consulted' about this impending redundancy offer its a national cull of my role but do feel they haven't tried hard enough to give me a position i can do, they were well aware of the physical barriers i had to work in personal care before the bc this has just really just added to some of my previous problems in terms of my arm neck etc so i think im going to chill out for now to try and destress then look at doing something different once i have my pay off!! I def think they could have given me something i waa reminded tgat they had been very good to me aa most people are finished after ssp ends i have had any pay mind since then!! Think they are completely missing the point buddy i had wanted to return to work in May this has been their doing!!
As for the cbd i don't blame you for taking it as you say you want to give it everything you have got due to limited drugs availability and its good that you can get it from a reputable source just a shame its so expensive i wish the nhs would recognise its benefits and prescribe it xx lovely to have a bit if rain today i think the gardens and wildlife need it and its cooling the air as long as the sun returns 🌞reboot well done thats lovely that you took part and bet you felt dead proud x
Hi to everyone else hope you are all doing really well x

Mishy, Jencqt, so sorry to hear of your extra problems. Mishy, can’t you be signed off sick until redundancy and take the time to find another job or walk of life? Also, this sounds like discrimination, have they re-jigged the structure in order to make you redundant? Sometimes though, if you’re forced into a different tack, it can be beneficial. Very hard to look at it as an opportunity though. Both of you, I have started CBD oil, primarily because I’m clutching at straws regarding cancer treatment but also for pain relief. On the fb page CBD consumers uk/eu there are loads of people using it to help sleep and anxiety. That is a closed group you can join because they say they are trying to exclude sellers. They recommend various producers and give advice on how to use it. CBDbrothers give samples so worth a try.

Nails, so, bearing in mind I’m three months ahead of you Oct starters because I did T-FEC rather than FEC-T, my finger nails have just got to the point where the weak line has reached fingertip. It’s only now that they have started to split and the new nail behind looks healthy. I just look like I have short nails, rather than actually losing them. I did lose my two big toe nails, again when they reached the end of their nailbed. It was expected as they only had half a nail bed due to infection many years ago. I firmly believe the Boots Almond oil helped and is still helping. I use it every day still.

Reboot, well done. I admire your achievements so much.

Thank you Shi and Jencat, we finished the half marathon at 1.30 this morning. It took us just over 5 hours but my MapMyRun app said that we’d walked 15.8 miles!!! 😳😳😳
It was a fantastic event and great to walk around all the sights of London: Oxford Steet, Marble Arch, Hyde Park (where Bruno Mars was playing), Buckingham Palace, the Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, the South Bank, Tate Modern, the Globe, Tower Bridge, the Tower of London, St Paul’s, the list goes on. It really was a challenge of dodging late night shoppers, hipsters rolling out of eateries and drunken people falling out of bars 😂
I’m overwhelmed that between the 2 of us we have raised £2000 including offline sponsorship! Split between BCC and Prostate Cancer UK.

It’s been nice to catch up with the forum again a bit this past week but gosh what an awful situation work have put you both in Jencat and Mishy! Tomorrow is the official end of my maternity leave and start of 6 months sabbatical, I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to do that.

Lots of love to everyone xx As I re-learnt last night, we are all absolutely amazing - we just need reminding sometimes xxx

(P.S. Do I need to be on my PC to upload photos?)

Yeah its not good is it i think im more angry that i can't move forward if i want my redundancy so its a case of sitting waiting just incase you need any advice i sought some from maggies rehabilitation and employment case worker who has been fantastic offering telephone support if i need someone at any impending meeting with them hes also assured me that I have rights covered in the equality act we have to be treated fairly and given support to ensure a smooth and phased return which should be built up, of course in my case i could do that but there won't be a job at the end waiting so it isn't good for my well-being as it will cause more stress etc so unfortunately and reluctantly im having to extend fit note to remain off till it happens i really hope you have better luck with it i was told that its been noted in cancer recovery a well organised and managed return to work should have a postive effect on recovery but if its not it can actually have a negative effect on recovery ckuld they not give you a longer phased return the average is around 12 weeks should be full pay xx
Buddy lovely to hear from you lovely pictures what a beautiful place you definitely have a contender there with the picture for the country file calendar xx

Mishy, thank you for taking the time to reply to me. It sounds as if you're going through a nightmare at the moment, I hope you manage to get something sorted soon. It doesn't seem fair that you're not receiving any wages or that you might not receive redundancy pay either.

I've not been sleeping well either, which as you say, doesn't help our recovery x

Sorry was meant to say i was advised by employers at first to stay on sick leave x

Jencat its an absolute nightmare when you have got work issues but the others are right about phased return pay etc i am un the process of a very stressful situation with my work to cut a very long story short my return has not happened!! Being made redundant was informed verbally in may when meant to return td stay on sick leave while they tried to sort out a new role now found out they haven't got a suitable alternative which i could carry out offered a care worker job which i can't physically take and now want me to start a phased return in my current role till October when they will make me redundant 🖕 its resulted in me being that stressed i have been getting headaches chest pains and not sleeping doc has hit the roof said they are having an effect a positive recovery i have had to go down the getting advice route as im now in limbo with no wages but if i just leave i will lose redundancy x
Community Champion

Get on the phone Monday and say you want Occy health /HR advice before agreeing on when and how you return .