cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

Claire, I think you need to be careful with supplements and the tamoxifen so you should check with your doctor first. That was what I was told by my onc as I'd asked her about sage supplements as I'd read they are good for hot flushes. I also asked her about a high potency vitamin to boost immune system after chemo but just got the same reply, speak to doctor which I haven't done yet.

The event on 4october sounds like a great idea and would be round about the anniversary that we all met virtually online. I'd also still like to do walk the night in July but we're usually away then so haven't registered yet.

Who fancies going to the The Show in London on 4th October?
It's a fashion show for and by women who have had breast cancer
I've just registered my interest online
www.breastcancercare.org.uk
Could be a nice event for us to meet up and wear our pink wigs!
What do you all think?
Cx

Hey everyone good to see you are all on here still. Great that you are out and about Cassie so soon after op.
Lovely picture ladies - glad you Norfolk girls got to meet up.
Hope you are having a lovely time away Shi.
Have had my Tamoxifen delayed until I start Rads on 22nd due to nuropathy in fingers and feet and stiffness in my joints. Is anyone else taking any supplements? Am thinking about starting Curcumin and omega 3 to see if that helps with menopause symptoms.
Hugs to you all x

Thanks Ruth, sounds like we need to keep a sensible approach to a balanced diet. If this amino acid is in pretty much all of the protein sources in our diet then it will be hard to avoid! I eat a lot of eggs because we keep our own chickens and I have done for most of my life because we kept them when I was a child too and in the summer would sometimes eat 3 a day. I’m not going to change my diet unless compellingly evidence suggests otherwise.

Yes please Ruth that would be great. 😊

Hi Meesh OH bought me a nice Aveda one for Christmas as I have used Aveda hair products for years. It is very nice and can pm you more info if you like X

Ruth, what oil have you been using? I'd read people use olive oil. I used to use a natural hair oil once a week prior to chemo and intend to start using it again but was going to leave it another couple of weeks. Thanks also fir info on the asparagus.

How annoying! I have copied the text across below but not sure if it pasted ok until I post - 🤞

By now, you may have heard the news or read the reports about an interesting study on asparagine and breast cancer in mice.

The scientific study, published in Nature (a well perceived journal) on the 7th of February, describes the following details:

The study was conducted on mice with triple negative breast cancer
The focus of the study was on the amino acid “asparagine”, and how its presence or absence may influence the process of metastasis (i.e. the way the cancer spreads)
Scientists tried changing the presence of asparagine by

Administering L-asparaginase, which stops the production of asparagine in the body
Restricting the diet of these mice by lowering the nutritional intake of asparagine.
This low-asparagine approach was associated with reduced metastases in these mice.

When they tried to increase the intake of asparagine from dietary sources, the observed tumour spread was faster.

What does it all mean?

In short: we don’t know yet.

Generally speaking, research in mice is an important step in the research & development for our health and treatments; most importantly, it can lead to the next part of the process (which consists of clinical trials with human beings). At the same time, we all know human beings and mice are different, but we cannot claim to know exactly all the ways these differences appear, evolve, and affect the corresponding tumours.

Scientists, including the authors of this study, recognise this and are already planning clinical trials with various approaches.

In this specific study, scientists cross-checked with breast tumours from human beings. They found that the tumour cells’ ability to synthesise asparagine was correlated with how much these tumours would metastasise. Please note, however, that correlation does not necessarily imply causality.

More specifically, for this type of research, it is important to note that asparagine is one of the 20 amino acids which help create proteins in our body.

This means that it is important for human beings to have it
it is already being produced, even if we ourselves do not eat anything containing asparagine.

A note on L-asparaginase

As mentioned above, L-asparaginase is used to reduce the production of asparagine. It is actually considered a chemotherapy drug, and is already part of treatment for some children with a blood cancer called acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL).

Therefore, a mechanism of action is already known, but there seem to have been no publicly available clinical trials for its use on breast cancer. This may now change.

What should breast cancer patients do?

First and foremost, cancer patients should reach out to their medical teams to discuss their concerns.

Moreover, it is important to reiterate that our bodies produce asparagine (which is considered the culprit here) as part of their normal healthy function anyway.

Furthermore, it is found in the asparagus vegetable. However, asparagine is also contained in many other types of food (in various quantities, and probably less so that asparagus), including potatoes, legumes, nuts, seeds, soy, whole grains, as well as dairy, whey, beef, poultry, eggs, fish and seafood.

No dietary guidelines focusing specifically on asparagus have been established. On the contrary, experts continue to recommend a healthy mix of fruits and vegetables.

It wants me to log in Ruth

Ruth 😂

Link says have to sign in x

Piling it??!! Autocorrect having a laugh! Should have said oiling it!

Hi Meesh mine is flaky so ha e started piling it once a week. It seems to be helping 🤞

I know many people saw the report on asparagus and I got an alert from one of the websites that I follow with a brief explanation that I thought was quite good so gave pasted below in case anyone wants to look at it 😁
https://nutrition.careacross.com/asparagus-and-breast-cancer-for-members?utm_source=newsletter&utm_m...
Hopefully the links works!

I intend to stay here too buddy

There’s no place like home 👠 👠 x

I am sure I will pop into rads thread once I start but will be back lol xx

Buddyfan, hope you're doing ok and feeling a bit better. I think the angle of the picture was fortuitous as mine is also very thin on top and at the back but I think it is growing back. The curls do definitely disguise it a bit but it doesn't seem as curly as it was pre-chemo so hoping that will rectify itself. I have been on the rads thread a little bit but will still continue mostly on this one. Being back in the office though means I don't get time to check and post as much ☹️

Scalp is still flakey but not not as bad as it was. Ruth is your scalp still flakey or did it clear up?

I'm not planning on going anywhere 😁 🤗♥️💕💪

I like to take a look on other threads but this is definately the best. We've been together through chemo and supported each other through the **bleep** and had a giggle along the way. You are all amazing and I wouldn't want to be without you x
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Buddyfan, naaahhh we will never leave our 💪💪💪Oct thread, we’ve been o the Feb rads thread too but our Oct 🚂is where we will always be, always well I hope we all stay on here and keep in touch in the weeks, months and years ahead keep us 👍👍👍😁😁😁💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻And hopeful, I couldn’t imagine not having you all in my life now and us all swinging our gold hot pants. P.s. think we should all get a pink bob wig like jellytots and wear them when we get together, we’d soon spot each other 👍👍👍😘😘😘💕💕✨✨shi xx

Are you all going off to a different thread now?

Meesh, your hair looks great. You're lucky it's curly because that disguises the thinner areas. I think my hair shed might have slowed down, although I am very, very thin on top and back.

Hope you've all had a good day. What plans for the weekend?
I had the district nurse visit today to check my wound. She took one look and said it looked lovely and will check again on Tuesday. Made the most of the sunshine as took the dog out for a short walk. I didn't expect to feel up to that only 48 hours after surgery. But felt fine so thought I might as well.
The fluid build up is just plain weird as it makes strange noises when I move about. Plus some fluid has migrated down to my stomach area. The joys of gravity. It's not painful but annoying. I don't know of anything that could help to disperse it.

Survived a full day in the office and the walk in and back. It was great to do something normal but I’m pooped now!
Great picture of you and Meesh looking happy Karen. Are those sweet potato fries, love them 😋.
Meesh your hair looks great x
Quite a few rads people next week and I’ve got first Herceptin so a few of us moving forward 😊

Hi Meesh, I’m a bit worried about the tamoxifen as you hear so many bad stories but my BCN said today it’s actually very few women who have bad side effects. She expects I will just get a few hot flushes xx

Hi Runnerbean, nice to hear you've got things sorted. I'm starting rads Monday too and took my first tamoxifen today. So far so good 😊 

Hi ladies, sorry not really been on for a couple of days as I have been so busy. Been in work for a couple of days, arranging my mums 70th birthday party and sorting out the confusion about my radiotherapy. I did have appointments st the wrong hospital so starting Monday now where I expected to be. Also been to see the onc today and have my tamoxifen which she’s also said I should start on Monday. I will catch up on the thread now but hope everyone is doing ok xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi girls 😁😁😁Just managed to get a signal, meesh hope you are feeling ok after taking the tamoxifen 👍👍👍cassie, glad you are doing well sweetie, just take it steady. Great tunes today Ricky Martin, brilliant choice 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺and Beyoncé 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺I don’t know if i’ll Get signal or not while away, so wishing everyone ❤️❤️❤️And 🎉🎉🎉for those finishing chemo next week, ali brilliant you don’t have to have last one and hope your skin settles soon darling. Karana bailing on me for double Dutch skipping on Thursday ... good job I love you 💕💕💕jellytot, big big hug round you sweetheart, just take it a day at a time and at your own pace, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family ❤️❤️ Let’s have a bit of R.E.M. shiny happy people and get those 😁😁😁slapped on and keep 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Girls we are getting closer to the bums out the windows as we get closer to the station 👍👍👍💕💕✨✨✨shi xx

Morning!!!

Perfect song Ruth. We rule the world. And the universe..

Really good to see a picture of Karena and Meesh, you look lovely and happy. Celebrate away!

And you both have and still are working so hard through treatment. Strong women both of you!

Watching the Winter Olympics opening ceremony now. Looking forward to the events. Will we get another Torville and Dean spectacular I wonder..

Enjoy your day. So far, I feel ok. Gonna take some more meds now. 

Fairydust x

Morning ladies so lovely to hear all the good stories on here from the past two days ♥️♥️💕💕
Woohoo Ali on end of chemo and Jencat great news on your response 🤗🤗
Karen thanks so much for sharing pic it is lovely to see you both celebrating 😘😘
Shi hope you are having a fab time away honey 💕
Cassie hope your recovery continues to go well ♥️
🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗 some hugs for anyone who isn't having such a good day
I am now in the lull week just before last chemo - still very tired, seem to be very itchy and taste isn't properly back but would still consider all that good compared with a week ago.
Is it just me and Jencat next week now that Ali has jumped into the surgery carriage with Cassie? A few of our lovely November ladies are finishing next week too and can join the party 😁🎉
In respect to all our achievements and strength I though a little Beyoncé might be in order 😉
https://youtu.be/VBmMU_iwe6U

Morning all. How is everyone?
Slept better last night. My V pillow is amazing. If you haven't got one go and buy one right now. They are so comfortable. Pain is not too bad at all. I'm managing fine on paracetamol. Just taken some so waiting for them to kick in so I can do some more arm exercises.

Sue I’m avoiding reading side effects too!  Start on 14 Feb same as rads!

✨✨✨

Morning all

Karen I haven’t read tamoxifen side effects as don’t want to be looking for them x will go with ignorance is bliss on that one

Meesh hope tamoxifen is kind to you x I start mine on 23rd xx Karen when do you start yours

Glad to hear shi is ok 👌 x

Keep us posted about the Tamoxifen Meesh....I’m trying not to worry about it and sure we will be fine....positive thinking!!  Xxx

I'm working from home today, so better log on in a minute as I have loads to do☹️ It's rainy and horrible here this morning but will need to go out to get some milk and something else I can't remember at the moment.

I took my first tamoxifen this morning 😱was going leave it until tomorrow but decided not to in case I had a reaction, would not want to have to go to A&E.

Morning ladies....hope u all managed a relatively good nites sleep....and those pesky Utis start getting better 😘

https://g.co/kgs/mhZDRo

After a a busy day yesterday I managed to sleep well luckily....woke up to a very damp miserable day so don’t think I will be venturing out with the dog this morning! 

Thought id share the picture of me and Meesh from yesterday.....hope you don’t mind Meesh 😘 I’m not great at selfies but hey ho!!

What’s everyones plans for today??

328CB42D-E5AB-4C56-A84A-7D9F92A84D32.jpeg915144A6-36DD-487A-89A6-23674FFAB118.jpeg

Morning ladies!

Buddyfan, Jellytot hope you both get those Utis under control soon and start to feel better.

Shi, is on her get away but did manage to get her posh wig! How about a bit of Ricky Martin "living the Vida loca" to try and make up for Shi's absence 😂Love you Shi! 😘😘DJ Karen could you do the honours and upload it please as it's beyond me, sorry!

Thanks Buddy and Jencat. I am having tje zelondronic acod to reduce the risk of recurrence my onc said.

Jencat - so glad you havent got to have 8! Take care with the trimethroprim - they made me so ill a few years ago. I can't have them anymore. So if you dont feel better do phone your doc.

Jelly tot th8nking of you and sending a big hug xx

Hi everyone hope you are all well x
Jelly tot i speak to mine every day since losing my dad in September wish i could speak to him again too 💖 and hugs to you take it easy x

Hope you get some relief soon Jencat x

Hi Buddy,

Glad to hear your temperature has gone down, but sorry that you've also got a uti. They're horrible aren't they! My oncologist has given me Trimethoprim 200mg, but I'm not sure they're working as still finding it painful. When I had a uti before, my doctor gave me Flucloxacillin 500mg. That uti was worse than this one, but I felt better quicker.

I'm going to see how I feel tomorrow, but if I don't feel much better, I think I'll ring the doctor to see if I can have something stronger than what I've got xx

Glad to hear your op has gone so well Cassie xx

Hi Ali,

Yes I'm having zolendronic acid-I've been having it every other chemo session and then like you, every 6 months for about 3 years. My oncologist offered it to me because I'm TN. Apparently it helps to strengthen the bones, but also recent studies in the US had shown that it could help to prevent a recurrance of bc.

So pleased for you that you haven't got to have that final chemo! Smiley Happy My oncologist had originally said that I'd probably have 8 rounds of chemo, but reduced it to 6 when I saw her a few days before Christmas because the lymph node in my breast had reduced back to normal size. My best Christmas present! xx

I’ll see if I can get you her details. She seems very knowledgeable and willing to answer questions. One of the ladies in my group has bone mets and brain mets and she has largely been doing what we do but obviously hasn’t hit your other complications. She struggles with her balance as a result of brain mets but this has improved through doing the Pilates. She is so positive and friendly and 14 years into this business so loads of wisdom to share.

Temp is still ok so I think I dodged that one.

Ali, I’m on zoladronic acid and had the first one in last infusion. I do wonder if that’s what caused me so much bone pain. I’m every 3 months because of the bone mets, so maybe you’ll be ok.

Chaffinch, I’m not near enough to a Maggies centre to do Pilates. Is there any chance you could get your teacher’s email address. I’d like to ask her about what moves I can’t do because of the bone mets.

Chaffinch, that's nice that the Pilates does a special class for previous Maggie attendees and lucky for you it's not on a day you work.

Jellytot, I can only imagine what you're going through. It must be so hard dealing with treatment and the loss of your mum and all the arrangements that go with that. I continue to think about you ❤️❤️❤️🤗🤗🤗 I speak with my mum often and will continue to do so knowing how lucky I am.

Cassie, glad you're home!

Ali, it is a scary thing, but you're right the sooner you have op the sooner you can recover. I think someone else was asking about the Zol acid was it Buddyfan?

Buddyfan, glad you're temp is down now. Make sure to keep an eye on it, but really hope you've turned that corner now and will improve. We're going to see if we can meet up during rads so we'll let you know and hopefully you can make it.

Sue, yes Shi was posh wig shopping today but think she might have also been going away for a few days So said she might not have access to internet.

Glad your temperature has gone down buddyfan, you had us all worried, hopefully your pain will ease too x
Ali, your post brought a tear to my eye. I’m so pleased for you. Onward and upward, you’ve had a particularly rough ride 🔔🔔🔔🎉🎉🎉💪💪💪💕
Jellytot, good to hear from you and good that your surgery will be sorted soon too. Best wishes for the next few weeks, they will be tough but try to capture those good times that you had with your mum and hold them close x
Hope everyone else is doing ok. I had last Pilates session at Maggie’s this afternoon. The instructor is great and she is going to send me details of her class that she does with just people from previous Maggie’s sessions. Fortunately it’s on a day when I’m not at work 😊

My op is now m9ved forward to Monday 19th. Eek!! I was faaling brave when it was weeks away. Anyway the sooner its done the sooner i can recover. It will be the wait then to see if any lymph nodes have been affected and how effective the treatment has been. The next stage!!

Herceptin injection next Wed!! Onc also said i will be having zolendronic acid every 6 months. Anyone else having this??

Buddy glad you are feeling a bit better and Casdie glad you can go home. Take care ladies xxc

Going bloody phone

Jelly tot 💕

Shi is it today you was hung wig shopping? Xx

Loads of hugs Jelly Tot. I'm glad you've got plenty of support. You know we are all here if you need to talk about anything.
Good to hear you've got a rough date for surgery at least you can plan for it.

Sending lot of 🦄🦄🦄🦄 hugs and sparkles x
Highlighted

Morning ladies,
Been following the thread and quietly cheering you all on xx
Had meeting with surgeons and mx and recon happening as soon as possible after mum's funeral which will probably be 7th March. Been overdoing it with everything and feeling exhausted today but hey ho. Still can't believe she's gone but I guess that's normal. Thankfully I have a brilliant hub and family or I'd not cope.
Have a great day girls , and if you can hug or phone your mums xx

Buddy good news on normal temperature today x