cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

I definitely learned a thing or two yesterday and thought I might share my ponderings - will also pay it forward to our lovely ladies in Nov and Dec.

First learning was that if something isn't working that is chemo related get in touch with your chemo unit straight away!! My PICC first clotted at 12.30 - I am sure that if I had rung my unit I could have gone in and got it fixed that afternoon rather than going to a&e where they honestly didn't really know what to do, took 4 hours to sort things out and frightened me quite a bit by saying that they would take the PICC out!!

Secondly the lovely oncology nurse showed me how you should look after your PICC so that I could show my district nurse! 1) you should be able to see any blood in the PICC line if you do it could clot in the tube and cause a blockage like mine did! It needs to be clear where the saline is sitting in the tube outside the body
2) if it does block you can use quite a bit of force to unblock it so if the nurses are trying but are afraid to use much pressure, try to get a chemo nurse to look at it as they are not afraid to use a bit of gusto! They can also use blood thinners to clear it if they need to 3) when you flush the PICC you need to do it in pulses not just one single push of the syringe and it is done and 4) you use as much saline as it takes to get a clear line - this could be more than one 10ml syringe

I know that is a lot of detail but I hope it is helpful as I feel that yesterday could have been avoided and would like to help anyone else with a PICC from avoiding it if possible ♥️♥️♥️

Ruth, how many do you have to do? 

Sue, I usually have a chat with onco nurse on day of chemo just prior to chemo. When I asked onco about my increasing nausea on each chemo day she said to tell onc nurse and they would give me more tablets. 

Injection done 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 ouch! They definitely hurt more than the GCSF! I think I will happily go back to those please and no more heparin after tomorrow if you don't mind 🤞🤞🤞 they leave a proper red needle stick mark! Runnerbean are you still taking yours? XX

Again a variation in health authorities as I always see a doctor of onco team the day before chemo for a review x
Weird x

Hi Karen, glad you managed to get a doc appointment shame it's not until Friday though!  The onc has said I will see her again end of Jan when I've finished treatment, can't wait for that appointment 😂 I'm not really sure what the boosters are for and I asked 3 times! She just kept saying that as I was handling chemo well and because I was young they wanted to give me 5 boosters to the tumour site as on top of the 15 rads to the whole boob as a further preventative measure. I wish they'd offered me a spa voucher that would've felt much more like a treat for all my hard work than more bloody rads! 😂 Will be interesting to see what they say to you tomorrow.

Ruth, good luck with the injection. You can do it, you're made of strong stuff. I've been trying to have liver once a week and also steak or beef too. I'll make sure the train 🚂 is warm for you tomorrow make sure to wave when you're boarding! ✨💫💫🌈🌟💃🏻🕺🏻💃🏻🌈🌟🕺🏻🦄✨💫🦄

Right back again 😁 Karen like all our other ladies I do worry about how much you do ♥️♥️ Hope you get some more rest time soon and kind find a way to take the time you need for you over the next few cycles. XX

Evening ladies...I’ve missed a lot this afternoon!!

Ali sounds a lot of treatment to me...hope u manage to rest this eve and not too many SE

Meesh, sounds like u didn’t have much fun with the Onc, I don’t see mine now until January!! I’ve got a meeting with Radiotherapy doc tomorrow so will see what they’ve got to say!!  I’m not sure what the boosters are for??

I waited all day for docs to call me back, finally heard back from the receptionist after chasing them to be told I can see doc on Friday...they obv not that worried about me!!

OH is moaning about being tired today....FFS!

xxx

Good evening ladies - Ali and Buddy glad to hear you are both home safely - they sound like mammoth days ♥️♥️♥️
All clear from onc for chemo tomorrow. Red blood cells on low side but wbcs ok so they will go ahead. More red meat needed on next cycle clearly!
Am now trying to psych myself up for heparin injection as soon as I am sure DD is asleep. (Which she isn't yet as she just called out 🙄) Better go see to her 😴😴
CK

Hi Ali
Ive posted on Sept thread too. I was there for 4 and a half hours as had to see onc after chemo and herceptin. Trearment was smooth but Herceptin thigh is achey now and lower back. Paracetomol and Bath maybe if I say awake long enough. Steroids kept me awzke ladt night. Have my op on Jan 22nd then 15 rads around a month later, fingers crossed🤞🤞. Tamoxifen will start 2 weeks after op, fingers crossed again🤞🤞

Hope all of you Oct ladies are coping well! We do get more tired after each cycle but we just need to rest as much as we can. We are troopers and will get there! Seeing the support you are giving each other is amazing despite what we are going through and we should all be proud of ourselves!

Hope you all have a restful night and good luck to any chemoers this week😚😚😚
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Meesh 🤣😂🤣😂🤣the ysl jumper is just a dream item, I could never justify that kind of money on a jumper. I am a proper bargain hunter and wait for sales and also go through the racks at Tk max, I have the patience to search each size and item if I am after something, sound like a sad case but I love getting a bargain, makes it more 😁😁😁when you get it for fraction of price. Meesh I’m not one of those nutters who rugby scrum people for a telly on thwack friday though, just wanted to get that straight 😁😁😁🤣🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂💕💕✨✨shi xx

Thanks buddy will try the cool flannel x

Thanks ladies it’s passed again now but will definitely mention it Monday when I go for line flush x

Ali, well done on first t chemo, wow 5.5 hours! I thought 3 hours with the cold cap was bad enough! Rest up now and I hope you don't suffer too many SEs.

Buddyfan, glad you're getting yourself sorted and a bonus if you can get an ongoing condition sorted too. It does make you wonder sometimes why they don't do some of these tests if you have been suffering long term with something. 

Sue, sorry to hear you're experiencing that smell again. Perhaps some of Shi's thieves oil on a hanky so you can sniff that instead of the bad smell would work. I asked onco about the dissolvable steroids vs tablet form and she didn't have an answer.

Shi, you crazy lady I bet you're good at getting what you want so stamp those diva feet! 😘😘

Caught up with the chats now.

Sue, I think my eyes have been ‘off’ since chemo, especially long distance. Scar tissue also feels sore, but isn’t actually sore, for few days after chemo. In my tips gleaned from the boards, I think a May lady recommended cool flannel and these eye drops https://www.chemist.co.uk/viscotears-liquid-gel-for-dry-eyes.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0aP0gbLd1wIVir3t...

Shi, I’d like to think OH would have said if I smelt on T. So, yay, I’ve got that to look forward to as well, on FEC. Incidentally, I’m sure our sense of smell is heightened on chemo so hopefully other people can’t smell the same the same as we do.👃👎👃👎👃👎

I haven’t been told anything about rads apart from that I will be daily for weeks and probably have boosters. I think they think I had enough to worry about without that.

Had a long chat with onc sister today. She said they used to only give gcsf reactively but had so many breast cancer patients coming in with proper neutropenic sepsis that they did a study and decided to proactively give gcsf injections. The number of sepsis cases dropped dramatically. They also always give 7 injections for T and FEC. I asked again about T-FEC vs FEC-T. She says they do a lot of t-fec. It’s all about her+. FEC-T prepares the cells better for perception, otherwise they give T-FEC. Sorry to say, but she said T usually complain of a lot of pain. I do have a high pain threshold after nearly 40years of neuropathic pain from severed nerves. Plus, daily I usually take extra dihydrocodeine for that arm pain which is quite a strong pain killer. Hence I’m probably not representative of T pain you might get. She also recommended codeine.

Enjoy your evenings and I'll be on that🏥🚂tomorrow, hopefully as an outpatient.
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Foot stomping diva strop .....predictive text again 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Sue have you asked your onc team, it could just be the chemo working it’s way through us, but might be worth a mention next time you are in. You need to getvoh to get you this month maths glamour mag, the ysl jumper on the cover is lush, lush, lush and is a foot stompingvtefdiesvoutctge peak andy from little Britain I want that one moment is ever there was one for sure 😁😁😁😁💕💕✨✨shi xx

Wow Ali busy day x definitely need plenty of rest

Shi it's worse first week but intermittent throughout x
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Crikey ali, I thought you were just having box standard t not the full enchilada, 5 hrs .... 👏👏👏👏👏well done that woman ❤️❤️❤️Big love to you 💕💕✨✨shi xx

Jellytot i had the 3 drugs today. My day has consisted of 8 steroids and one antisickness. I had permuzetab first for 1 and a half hours, a ten minute flush, tjen hetceptin for one and a hslf hour folowed by 2x ten minute flushes then docetaxol for 1h hour 15 minutes and a 10 minute flush. All in all 5 and a half hours in the chair.

4 treatments fown and 3 to go!! Planning to take it easy and just get througj any SE's as the come. I have got anti sickness, tablets for diaorreah - which i asked for - just in case! Mouth wash and nyastin to head off a sore mouth and my steroids for the next round. All.prepared thanks to the great advice from CK and Cathysid and all those on PTH. Thsnks ladies xxc
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Sue, I think it’s the chemo working itself out our systems, do you notice it more at the start or mid cycle or throughout the whole cycle? 💕💕✨✨shi xx

Yes damp horrible smell shi

I can’t even work out what triggers it but have to sniff anything and everything that goes anywhere near my mouth as I know if I got the smell it makes me 🤢 x
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Sue is it that damp smell again? I keep getting the biscuitty fake tan smell from about day 5-8 then it goes wonder what we will smell when we go over to t, I’m hoping its vanilla, love that 💕💕✨✨shi xx

Mishy they are what hubby came back with they were about a fiver as advised to get by pharmacist but will ring my doctor if/when I need more x
I have got my exemption card thank you x
Hope everyone ok

I cooked a chicken for tea but couldn’t eat it as got the smell thing going on again so ate bread and butter family assure me chicken was fine and I am just weird cheeky buggars
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Ali glad you are back from first t 😘😘😘rest up, drink and take it steady 😘😘buddyfan, what a day you’ve had glad you are home and not been kept in 😘😘😘hope your antibiotics give it a kick and stop it from coming back. Christmas decks getting done Friday 1st, I always have them up on the 1st, then usually take down Boxing Day or day after. Hope everyone else is ok today 💕💕✨✨shi xx

My eye drops I got from onc prescription sent to my GP to repeat they are hypromellose 3% eye drops as you are entitled to free prescription for 5 years having had cancer treatment you have to ask your doc for the forms incase any of you don't know!!
Like your style Shi with the glasses haha I'm going to get my eyes tested again after rads to see if they will improve its just a waiting game as I still have SE lingering!!!!
Has any decided when they are putting up the decs yet I'm thinking Saturday I'm hoping Christmas will bring some cheer into our household as it's not exactly been a barrel of laughs lately
Went sofa shopping saw one I love in sofolgy but didn't measure and didn't realise that I would have to pick a grade of leather for durability so don't think it's wise parting with a couple of Grand with chemo brain effects so going to wait to my treatments are over plus they might have a sale!!

I’m home now, after having ultrasound and with antibiotics for uti. My urine dip flagged up for all infection markers and it is susceptible to this new antibiotic. The ultrasound of bladder and kidneys showed a very, very full bladder, abnormally so, too big to fit on screen, possibly 2litres! Also showed ‘debris’. After sending me to loo, it had about 1litre showing that I’m not emptying bladder. They said it could have been creeping up and could be the cause of my uti over last two years. Ha, could also explain my pod. Maybe something good will come out of all this. I’ve got to assess how much I drink and pass and go in tomorrow for an urologist’s apt. Or before, if I’m in pain or stop passing urine. There’s definitely ‘debris’ in my wee-think clotted blood. (tmi???? Forewarned is forearmed).🎢🚽🎢🚽🎢🚽 Watch that pan ladies.

My bloods showed neutrophils of 34, again THIRYFOUR, so I definitely have spare to share today! 👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻

Hope everyone had an ok day today, I haven’t caught up with the chats yet. Anyone on that 🏥🚂 with me tomorrow?

Ali glad you are home safely x plenty of rest now Hun

I am feeling a bit better Ali thank you x

Ali, glad to hear you're ok . Did you have the drugs all together? I'm having the herceptin on a separate day ?xx

Hi All,.thanks for good wishes for today..first PTH done and dusted. Took 5 and a half hours in total and apart from feeling a bit eashed out and tearful i am fine. Will wait to see how it treats me now x

Sorry to hear you are suffering this round SueW, karen and buddyfan. Hoping you get sorted and Pick up soon.

Sue my optician told me i would need my glasses more and would need an eye test and new ones after treatment has ended .

Xxc

Thanks jelly will send hubby out to shops again lol he will never book a day off at this stage again
Today he has done the shopping, got a new battery on the car and now I sending him late night chemist ha ha
And he has put new blinds up in the bedroom xx

Meesh I am hoping tomorrow to be feeling less of a lazy tree frog and will look for yoga for beginners on you tube as since Friday chemo been very tired this time round x

Thanks Jellytot re tip on eye drops, I might try some of them. 

Ladies, I know I go on about the yoga thing, but I've found that it does help breakdown the scar tissue. 🙂

Sue, I just got optrix dry eyes but am sure you can get a prescription... can't open my eyes without them now !

Thanks reboot I am massaging in e45 so will continue with that it does seem to be helping xx

Jelly did you buy some over the counter ones or get from onco/chemo team ? X
If you bought them what do you use? XX

Good evening ladies x

Sue, I actually asked my nurses those same questions. Apparently it is common for eyes to change slightly during chemo, some people get new glasses for the time (seems a little extreme) but they will go back to normal. I struggle with my phone screen in this first week post chemo, though it isn’t as bad (so far) on the T.
My scar tissue is also more sensitive, I’ve really noticed it, and have been told to keep massaging it to try to break it down further.

Buddyfan, hope they’re looking after you well x

Lots of love to everyone x

Thanks shi xx
Ps Greg Wallace better looking than Anne Robinson 🤣🤣 x and not so scary

Hi Sue yes my eyes are suffering , I mentioned it at last chemo and they said it's normal. I use eyedrops daily now and need my glasses more than normal. Also my scar tissue is very tender and has been for a while ,guess it's the fast growing cells that chemo targets. My fingers are now peeling and ripping around the cuticles and my nails are discoloured and lumpy even before t...it's just a new joy everyday lol!
Hugs ladies xxx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi sue, yep scar tissue agitation is se from chemo, mention to onc team as only listvof thing to keep check that’s one of them. Hope that helps lovely 😘😘shi xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

😁😁😁😁well as I pointed out to oh, they were the ones that suited me the most, I did try others in too, just the gucci ones looked the nicest in me. I’m currently channelling a bit of a Greg Wallace look, but hope to progress to Anne Robinson when hair comes back 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣💕💕✨✨shi xx
Highlighted

Sorry here I am again full of questions today does scar tissue seem more sensitive after chemo too not really bad just as if nerve ends have been agitated? X

Ha ha mine are Sophia Lauren ones x hubby moaned at them at £200
Gucci sounds great 👍 x

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Yep been needing reading glasses more since starting chemo. I only had to get glasses earlier this year and sue you’ll laugh, I had my princess paddy and wanted the gucci frames which my darling oh lovingly purchased for me. 😁😁💕💕✨✨shi xx

Glad I asked as although I don’t like to hear your suffering with eyes too at least I know it’s normalish and I can get something for it x 👍
Thank you lovely ladies xxx

My eyes have felt sore the last couple of days like they're over tired I wonder if that's dry eyes too. I might mention that when I go for chemo next week. I had wle my bc was grade 2 stage 1 no nodes involved. I think I had quite a bit of dcis so maybe that's why I'm getting the extra rads.

Thanks ladies xx will mention when I go Monday as got a line flush with onco nurses xx

I started with out of focus problems and blurry feeling also eyes can feel quite tired mention to your oncs when you see them, isn't chemo the gift that won't stop giving!!!!

I struggle with refocusing my eyes from short to long but I’m other than that. Maybe that’s a dry eye thing.

Oh and yeah re rada I had WLE and not a full axillary clearance so the rads there are to do what a clearance would have done!! The boosters are because of grade, Dcis, size, TN and my age 😨

Sue thanks, yeah my eyes are def more strained since doing chemo, I'm blind as a bat without my reading glasses I think it's due to the dryness etc you may need those drops I mentioned, yeah with rads it's like the ops and chemo we are all slightly different it's tailored made for us but we will all get what we need x