cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

Hi Jencat, I did read on one of the threads that one of the ladies did have a bald spot on top but asked to wear a surgeons cap to protect her scalp and they let her, so it might be worth asking if they can use something like that.

I'm using a silk pillowcase i think it does help as I don't find much on my pillow.

Buddyfan, I was taking a vitamin D3 supplement after I got diagnosed but was told to stop during chemo. Only supplement they would allow me to take was an ordinary multivitamin and even then they weren't keen.

Sue, those pillowcases are slippy, must mean you have a nice silky head 🤣😂🤣😂

Sue 🤣🤣😘

I am not cold capping and virtually bald now I sleep in silk cap and have silk pillowcase but find the cap slides off whilst I asleep and my head falls off the pillow ha ha way too slippy xxx

I am using silk now but I’m not sure it helps, my back was covered in hair like blooming gorilla this week! In my pjs vest it felt like a spiders running down my back when I stood next up 😫 pillow feels nice though 😁

Dizzy and Meesh, are you sleeping on silk pillowcases? Wondering if they help xx

Thanks for letting me know about you and Dizzy, Meesh. I cold capped too, but noticed the last few days that hair seems to be coming out more-not clumps, but definitely more loose hair. Panicked a bit, but the leaflet about it said that shredding is normal. Hopefully got chemo tomorrow, but nurse said on Friday that until they put the conitioner on my hair they won't know if I can continue with the cap, depends on how much of my sculp can be seen. Fingers crossed I can have chemo and the cap tomorrow! xx

Do any of you ladies take a vit D supplement? My bloods show I have low vit D.

Meesh, if you've had lymph removed you should never carry heavy stuff with that arm. Fortunately, due to paralysed arm, dodgy back and neck I never carry anything heavy. Tesco have always packed and unloaded my shopping into the car, forever. You ladies with young kids, STOP carrying their bags for them. I never carried my boy's bags. As soon as he could toddle, he also climbed his own way into the car seat. He's now 6'2" and carries £160 of tesco shop into the house in one go!

I think you FECing ladies are in for a pleasant suprise when you swap to T and I'm up for the nasties when I swap to FEC. I haven't even remotely felt sick or dizzy. wk1 taste is horribly different. I've lost my leg hair but I'm coldcapping so you wouldn't know I've lost any of my hair. I have lost, but no bald patches , (yet!). My r foot is slightly numb but improving (I'm just starting wk3). Not sore, it just feels like there is a sock ruckered up under my toes.

Good luck to all those on this week's 🚂. I've slipped a week so I'm right behind you Mon week.

Let's all stay 👌👌and watch those 💅💅💅and 🖐🖐🖐. 🐧🐧🐧🐧🦄🦄🦄🦄

I had my reconstruction on 7th September my lumpectomy was a fortnight before that and I’m carrying shopping bags but with lifting heavy stuff it depends, if I ‘feel’ it I’ll stop.

No bald patches as such but some very thin bits, mainly at the back and side I sleep on. I’m guessing it’s going to start going again before cycle 3 starts.

Meesh I had lumpectomy in August and axillary lymph node op sept 8th unfortunately despite doing exercises I have slight chording from lymph node clearance so still have some pain but can lift as long as I don’t over do it
I tend to go shipping on my own but pack tons and stuff straight into my boot and get hubby or son to carry in for me whilst I make sure fridge and frozen stuff in lighter manageable bags x

Thanks Shi, could probably shop on my own then now, think we'll both be relieved by that! Although maybe I won't tell him for another couple of weeks 😂

Jencat, both me and Dizzy are cold capping. I'm hoping they'll let me continue, I think they will as even though I have a bald spot no-one at work noticed until I told them.

Better go feed the cat, she's been harassing me for half an hour and she's now trying to lick the pattern off her bowl 😂

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Meesh, I left it 8-10 weeks before lifting anything of any weight on my operated side and I still won’t lift anything really heavy like I would before on my own. I had a therapeutic mammoplasty as my op, so it wasn’t a lumpectomy on its own or a mx, but I think guidelines are about the same but think mx might take longer? Hope that heps. Love shi xx

Congratulations on your Silver Wedding Anniversary Chaffinch! Hope you're enjoying your celebratory lunch xx

Dizzy and Meesh, are you both using the cold cap during chemo? Sorry, I can't remember who's doing what! xx

Dizzy, yes hang on in there with your hair do you have any bald patches yet or has it just thinned all over. My bald patch seems to have decreased over the week (although I know it hasn't) as my hair seems to stand more on end each day. Will wash it tomorrow so will be back to sporting a bald patch, hope the hair loss isn't too bad tomorrow, it does seem to have stopped coming out in handfuls now. I know what you mean about it being drafty without the usual mop of hair keeping head warm, can only imagine how cold you baldy ladies are feeling without any hair at all 😱

question for those ladies who've already had surgery, how long is it til we can lift heavier things? I'm thinking shopping bags. My OH is still accompanying me on the weekly shop which, bless him, he does but absolutely hates but does as a sign of his love and devotion (apparently, according to him)! I think it was on the list in my literature along with not shaving pits and other things, but I'm not sure if it's a never to do again thing or just not while recovering.

looks like it's brightening up here again, me and the cat are sat cuddled up on the sofa with the fire 🔥 going. 😊

Happy anniversary Chaffinch x

I’m sat in the park in the sun. It’s cold but bloody lovely, watching my monkeys play 😁

Hair loss on my head seems to have had a temporary stay so I’m hanging in as suggested. Fully beanied up though as it right drafty without my usual mop of hair.

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Go not ho even😁😁😁
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Go not hi, sorry sue, my text again xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Sue, sorry to hear Hickman is a bit red and sore, keep eye on it and your temp, but if you feel funny with no temp still ring them, the temp thing is only a guideline isn’t it. 😘😘hope it settles down till you ho and have it looked at tomorrow 💕💕✨✨shi xx

Happy anniversary Chaffinch, have a lovely day. Meesh I’m up again Friday for round 3 and the half way point. I have lost almost all of my head hair just have a few random tufts hanging on, I have also lost most of my leg hsir in the last few days and one of my eyebrows has a small bald patch in it. Think I will start on the oil for my nails today buddyfan. Need to be doing anything which may help xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Yep meesh hope to be on board Thursday. Tight granny perm .... time to Oder another wig 😁underarm hair all gone, leg hair all there and still got a bit of lady garden. Who’s going onto t chemo after this one? I know we’ve got buddyfan already on the t. I’ve been oiling nails with vitamin e oil since start of chemo too. 💕💕✨✨shi xx

Ha ha Sue, that's why I'm in with the driver! Need to make sure we don't lose anyone or leave them behind! 😂

Mishy, hopefully you won't be bald for too much longer! Silverlady who finished in July said her eyebrows were back within 6 weeks, eyelashes 8 weeks and her hair now looked like a tight granny perm! 😂🤣😂🤣

Buddyfan, I'm not doing t just fec all the way through but I've been using my homemade curl cream (coconut oil, shea butter and aloe Vera) on my hands and nails and that is a bit like oiling them. My nails already had some ridges so I can't really tell if they're any different, they seem to be growing like mad though which is surprising.

I'm on T before FEC. I've been oiling my naiks twice a day, more on fingers sometimes. I don't normally wear nail polish so I feel as if I'm feeding my nails rather than smothering them. As it's winter,I can wear gloves outside to reduce UV. At the moment (end of T2 wk2) my finger nails still look normal. In fact, possibly better than normal as I never used to 'feed' them. The benefit of oiling them also goes into keeping the cuticles soft. If I was you lot, coming up to T I would be oiling now.🌈🦄🦄🦄🐧🐧🐧👌👌👌💅💅💅💅

Meesh I'm as Bald as a coot everywhere literally like an old baldy woman!!!! Haha not a good look I know that 🤔🤔😲😲

Mishy earache is the pits hope you feel better soon x
Meesh you are doing well to remember who is when I don’t know what day it is half the time
The sun is shining here but it is bitter cold outside I didn’t buy anything exciting when I popped to the shop just flavoured still water as fizzy irritates my tongue and am now in clean pj’s after shower watching rubbish on the tv x

Yes, Chaffinch happy silver anniversary hope you have a good day and lovely meal! 😀

My eyebrows and eyelashes are still all there. How's everyone's hair elsewhere? My ladytuft has thinned considerably but not fully gone yet, neither has armpit hair again it has thinned but is still there. Legs? Well think maybe we should forget asking about them as they are still there in full effect and hairy, really need to find my lady shave 🤔

Who's hoping to be on the  🚂 this week? I think it's going to be a full train this week as there were already quite a few of us and hopefully Cassie and Jencat will be joining us too! I'm up Tuesday and I know Chaffinch and Karen are after me on Wednesday, Shi are you Thursday? Who else is Thursday I am sure there was someone else? Runnerbean are you Friday?

Its going to be a busy week for me making sure that 🚂👨🏻‍✈️keeps us on the quick straight track to the finish!

Happy wedding anniversary Chaffinch enjoy your special day 💖💖💖

Hi everyone hope you all well Karen take it easy hun, hope you feel a little better now, you may be doing too much x sorry about the eyebrows too I've lost mine look like an alien in fact I'm starting getting to miss them more than my hair at least I can cover my head drawn on eyebrows look hideous even if the are done well you can jusst tell!!!!
My nails changed before the T had ridges but the T and abraxane has really discoloured them the look awful without anything on them
It's bloody freezing in Newcastle today feels like winter I think I'm going to have to go back to docs in morn my ear is still throbbing and it's 5th day of antibiotics
Have a good day ladies 🦄🦄💖💖

Hi everyone!

Dizzy good to hear you had a good day even if you didn't feel great.

Dizzy, Karen, with regards to dizziness it's the one thing I've been struggling with this cycle. I called the number last week but they said that dizziness is an SE of fec but it may be worth you calling them. I actually feel better today just in time for cycle 3 🤞🏻

I have liver and bacon today for dinner, it seemed to work last round for my blood work tomorrow so I'm going with it again and hoping for the best!

miserable day out there now, hoping OH will agree to light the fire early today 😰😰😰

I just had to call response line had a shower and changed dressing on my Hickman line and it’s red around the edges spoke to a lovely lady who told me to call back if I feel unwell in anyway but to go to ward tomorrow and get it checked my temperature is fine and I don’t feel unwell
I was scared to ring as not had to yet but she was reassuring and said it could be where stitches were removed Friday
Karen I agree with shi call even if just to put your mind at rest xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Just want turned into joyce st.... sorry about text again
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Karana, I don’t mean to be a panic merchant but shouldn’t you ring the rapid response no if you feel dizzy, I am sure that was one of the things they told me to do. Joyce st want to make sure you look after yourself. What we would normally just brush off as feeling a bit out of sorts needs watching like constantly while we are on chemo. Love you and just want you to take care if you for a change please 😘😘✨✨💕💕shi xx

My parents are popping over in a minute as they have their best friends over so want to see me...but I will sit down and take it easy, at the end of the day if I do go and have to come home I think they will all understand!!! Xxx

Karen have you git time to take a nap before you go out or to at least lie down for a little while get some rest x

I noticed this morning my eyebrows are thinning...I’m gutted was hoping they wanted to stay with me!!

just got back from dropping YS off and feeling really sick and dizzy again...I normally feel fine at this time during the cycle so not sure what’s going on...now panicking about going out for lunch!!

xxx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Chaffinch happy silver wedding anniversary 😘sue it’s the t chemo when they can drop off or ping off which is when we have to not do any ring pulls or putting any pressure on fingers as it can make the nails ping off but the fec I have been advised can cause the ridges and discolouration of nails, do keep cuticles and all skin round fingers and toes well moisturised. 😘😘I’ve had the black nail polish on from the start too as I don’t want to see what’s going on in the nail dept, I just want them to stay on please. Has anyone started to loose their eyebrows get? I’ve noticed the last few days mine are going a bit thin, still there but definitely thinner. 😘😘💕💕✨✨shi xx

My nails are ridged but not hurting or anything but I put black nail varnish on before each chemo just in case but I thought it was the t part too that caused problems
Happy anniversary chaffinch have a lovely day x
I got roast beef too meat cooked and veg prepped but I know if I tired my daughter will finish cooking x Sunday dinner is quite a tradition in our house and my daughter and son in law come round every Sunday (well he comes when he is home as he is a medic in the navy and ship based ) and my son doesn’t work until Sunday evening it is the one day we always eat together xx

My toe nails are fine but my finger nails are very dry and ridged and not as white as they were.
It’s our Silver Wedding anniversary today and we are out to lunch with our ED and her boyfriend. I haven’t seen her for a couple of months so really looking forward to it.
Hope everyone has a good day xx

Good morning ladies, just saying hello as I’ve been busy the last couple of days with work and catching up with friends and family. Hope you are all doing ok and fingers crossed that infecections clear up soon so we can all be back on the chemo train and one step closer to finishing. Quick question, I have noticed one of my toe nails is turning brown/black at the bottom. I thought nail problems came with the Taxol not FEC? Anybody else had this? I have an appointment with the oncologist on Tuesday so I will add it to my list of questions. Hope you all have a lovely day. I’m really looking forward to my roast beef later just a shame I have to cook it myself! ⚡️⚡️💫✨✨✨🦄🦄xx

Good morning ladies, I just wanted to pop by and say hello!

I’m sorry I can’t keep up with you all but I’ve scanned through some of the chat I’ve missed and I know I need to address my diet after all this is over, I do love my sugar! I’m so reluctant to google anything though!!

Sorry to hear about the delays last week, it’s certainly taken me longer to get over my 3rd cycle on Monday than it did the previous one. Hopefully I’ll get out of the house today finally xx

Lots of love 💕 and ✨ to everyone xx

Morning everyone, I had a lovely visit from my brother yesterday but I was too bloody wobbly/dizzy to leave the house. It was still great to laugh and joke and see the children having a good time too.

I hope you’ve all got fun packed Sunday’s planned, I’m planning on leaving the house today even if it kills me!

Rach x

Morning ladies!

had a bit of a lie in this morning and gave then been doing my jobs to get them out of way. 

Chaffinch, yes I do think overweight has bearing on er+ I had also changed my diet over the last year to cut out sugar, processed foods but actually increased dairy intake and fat, veg and still managed to lose a stoneand a half. I've eaten more carbs this round and put 5 lb on 😬 My plan to eat what I wanted week 1 and then eat healthier weeks 2&3 went a bit out of the window with the fig rolls and choccie biscuits I ate! Plan to be more healthy this cycle if I can with healthy snacks and nit as much sugar!

Karen, enjoy your lunch with your friends it must be difficult to know what to do re:headwear but go with what feels comfortable to you.

Ruth, enjoy your girls movie afternoon!

Sue, enjoy your walk around the shops, I'm going off fir weekly Tesco shop in a bit.

its sunny here too at the moment might go out for a walk on the beach and an ice cream later (make most of sugar while I can)!

Hope everyone else is ok and gave a good day ladies!

Morning ladies, what a lovely post Chaffinch. I think Michael Moseley's work is great and follow him quite closely. He does some good work on fats for all those questions about good and bad fats - he did some great studies on olive oil and coconut oil and butter. Essentially all those veggie oils we have been told to eat for years are pretty bad for us, as is margarine. I have a few other reading recommendations if anyone is interested ♥️♥️
Glad to hear your OH is doing so well.
Planning a slow day today - the steroids got a bit heavy duty yesterday and think they might have been making me so emotional (just looked at their SE profile 😱😱) We need them but it ain't pretty!!
DD at swimming this morning, then OH is taking her out for a couple of hours to run the energy out of her and then I promised we would do a girls movie afternoon 😊

OH went out for a bit of a pub crawl with a friend last night and got home quite late (it took a bit of coercion to make him go!!) and apart from the obvious alcohol related 🍺 side effects he seems a bit brighter this morning 👍

Wishing everyone a lovely day - might go back to sleep now!! ✨✨✨🦄🦄🦄🦄🌈🌈🌈🌈💫💫💫

Claire was the film any good ? I quite fancy it but hubby not keen we never seem to agree on films to see.

We are currently watching Lucifer on amazon prime and it is really good if anyone looking for something to watch and at least it is something we are both enjoying x
Highlighted

Morning Karen
Enjoy lunch x
I currently got beef cooking so meat cooked before I go shops which don’t open until 11 hubby and son still in bed x already stripped my bed and put clean bedding on (hubby still got snotty nose so in spare room) think I might even put the washing on the line

Karen have you got a head scarf you can wear? You tube for different ways to tie, as much as I love my wigs I find them quite hot if I am going in shops or restaurants etc xx

I agree Chaffinch, there is a world of medicine in the food we eat and more variety than I thought possible with fresh fruit and veg. I have always been vegetarian but since diagnosis have just cut out processed food. I do like the occasional cake but I make it myself and am trying brown sugar, coconut sugar and non refined alternatives. Sugar is well documented as feeding certain cancers despite what the rather dated information the bcn's tell you. You have to go with your gut instinct and do your own research at the end of the day - it's what is right for you and your family.
Have a great day everyone whatever you doSmiley Happy
I went on a cheeky cinema trip with OH to see Murder on the Orient Express last night - fun to get out despite being day 2 post chemo and falling asleep in parts! Glad I had water with me - am always so thirsty in the first week!
Hugs to you all xxc

Morning ladies, it’s bright and sunny here in Norwich, I slept ok and feeling more my normal self!

Were out for lunch today with some lovely friends, were invited on Friday but I had to decline as we don’t get staff in until 3pm, then friend asked another member of our staff if she wld come in for a couple of hours and he would pay her so we could go!! Delema of the day is what to wear on my head!  It’s quite a posh venue we’re going to so can’t really have a woolly hat on so think my wig may have to come out and play 😬 I’m just so self conscious with it on tho!

Said I’d take my youngest son to work this morning, although he doesn’t live in the pub with us he’s only down the road and struggles on a Sunday getting a bus as Sunday service is rubbish, my dad has been doing this for me since I’ve been having treatment but they have friends staying this weekend, just hope we don’t get stuck in any rememberance marches, may have to take a different route!

Have a fab time shopping Sue....Anyone else got any plans?

🦄🦄✨🦄🦄✨

Morning shi
You got anything planned? X
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Ali, hope your daughters service goes well and rain stays away. Sue, have a lovely time at shops, you’ll have to share what treats you get with us. Hope you had a good day yesterday with your brother dizzy, love to Karana, Cassie, chaffinch, Clare bell, buddyfan, Ruth, mishy, meesh, jencat and cherryb, and everone else of our lovely ladies if i’ve Not mentioned, hope you are all ok and se’s easing and hope you all have a lovely day 💕💕✨✨shi xx