cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

Evening ladies, finished my first working from home day for this cycle and was very busy so not just catching up with you all now. Hope everyone has had a good day?

Hi Anna, welcome to the place no-one wants to be! As others have said feel free to ask us any questions you like, we're not experts but someone will have an answer! Chaffinch' s post was spot on and Ruth was right too once you've had chemo if you're worried or not sure about anything call the number they give you and ask them. I phoned them with loads of minor questions but they reassured me which meant I didn't stress myself out worrying! I'd also add Imodium and also a laxative to your list of things to have to hand, it depends what chemo you're having but most of us have experienced one or the other! 

Cassie, I think I'd be climbing the walls, hope hubby brings you lots of nice things to keep you occupied, I'm sending you my dance 💃🏻🕺🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🏻💃🏻💃🏻🌈💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻✨🌟✨🕺🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🏻As you don't seem too have been sent one for a few hours and you must be due a dose to help you get those bloods back to normal!

Karen, hope the wake went ok and you got all your sarnies done. I hate shopping with OH, he does my head in with the packing (think he does it on purpose)!

Evening Runnerbean 🤞🤞good luck with the injections. Co codamol now has permanent residence next to my bed and I would rugby tackle anyone who tries to take it away 🤼‍♀️🤼‍♀️🤼‍♀️

Jelly more hugs in your direction 🤗🤗🤗🤗 whoever devised this whole process is pretty sick and twisted ♥️♥️♥️

Evening ladies and welcome Anna - I am the last starter in this group as had my first chemo 12 days ago and a few are onto cycle 2 now. I can't tell you how amazing everyone has been and in some ways I have been so lucky to go last as every time I have needed help there has been someone there to answer my question and share their advice.
Just ask any question and someone will be sure to jump in to try to help out.
If I could do cycle 1 again I would say if you are sick on day 1 tell someone straight away in case you need your meds reviewed. Drink LOTS and LOTS in preparation - we all encourage each other to drink as much as possible and it is sooo important. I had a few problems with my veins early on due to lack of hydration which helped me catch on pretty quickly to how important water becomes. Drink more than you think you can 🙃
Are you having the cold cap? I have a few ideas there but not sure if you plan to? Oh and take lunch to the hospital - it is hit and miss if you get fed and consensus is that it is worse straight after to have an empty stomach.
Good luck on your journey and we are here ♥️ Ruth
Oh btw we call it our chemo train 🚂 on this thread just in case you get confused about what we are talking about 😁

Excellent post Chaffinch x

Chaffinch brill post x
Freeze pineapple for sucking when get dry mouth (I used tinned and froze in an ice cube tray) I also found pear drops really good but then I have a sweet tooth anyway x
These were tips from September thread x

Welcome to the thread Anna. When I was in your position a month ago I read the whole of the September starters thread over a few days but reading our rambles would take considerably longer! We seem to be a particularly chatty bunch. There was a useful list somewhere near the beginning of that thread of things to get.
Thermometer is very important, I bought an ear one from Argos for around £16 Kinetic is the make of mine.
Hand sanitizer for every bag pocket etc also important.
If you have pets you will need to enlist the help of your family for their cleaning etc.
I think that you said that you have adult children, if so get them to help out as much as you can.
I bought some Sea Bands which you wear on your wrists on the pressure points that help with sickness. A lot of us on here have them.
A v shaped pillow can help with sleeping and a lot of people swear by satin or silk pillow cases when hair is being lost or growing back.
Try to get your wig sorted before treatment starts if you are getting one.
Find out if you have a Maggie’s or other similar charity nearby that offers support and a place to meet others. They often do complementary therapies.
See if you have a look good feel better course available nearby too that can give you a boost when you need it most and you get some lovely freebie makeup too.
A good mouthwash for a dry mouth and toothpaste too because they help a lot. I have so far been using BIotene mouthwash toothpaste and gel and have only had a couple of ulcers that cleared quickly.
Warm hats and hats for indoors it’s very chilly with no hair!
Do you know which drugs you will be on yet. The side effects are very different person to person but there are trends to each regime.
Wishing you all the best for your treatment and we will support you where we can. There is a new November starters group which will help you too xx

Hi Anna, sorry you are joining us but feel free to ask as many questions as you want / need to. You might find it useful to flip between earlier threads as well as November so you also have the support of the ladies who are a bit further on. There is always someone who has had the same side effect you are experiencing so can help to put your mind at rest xxx

Dizzy my onco said no as I work in a secondary school and kids have germs 🤣🤣🤣x but I am enjoying time off x

Welcome aboard Anna x

I’m lucky I feel I can work and that work are being really flexible with me, I can work from home or go in depending on how I feel. I can even nap at home in the afternoon if I need to.

Hi ladies I been napping again I think it is my new hobby lol so just caught up on you all
Welcome Anna ... sorry to see you here but just jump in alongside everyone else x
I admire those of you who are working I was told I couldn’t by onco and to be quite honest at the moment I do not want to go to work how would I cope without my naps lol xx
About to peel some spud as and get veg done for dinner meat already cooked as I cooked a gammon joint yesterday then could not be bothered to do dinner even though family was coming round good job they just went with the flow and ate the KFC hubby fetched lol I did sit at the table with them with my bowl of homemade soup it was all I fancied x

Hello everyone, I am sorry to intrude, but I found out today that I am joining the chemo club. I won't start until next week, but I think I might just count as an October joiner by virtue of hearing today! The plan is for a 20 week cycle of 8 (every 3 weeks and then every 2 weeks) beginning next Wednesday. I knew it was likely, so it isn't a shock and I am pleased to have a bit of a plan.

After chemo, I will  have a mastectomy followed by radiotherapy with good old Tamoxifen thrown in for good measure. Whilst I know it will be a long haul, I feel better for knowing that the bone and CT scans were clear and that I have some clarity. 

I know everyone is different, but I would really love to hear your top tips for managing chemotherapy. I have been advised to get a thermometer and hand sanitiser, but other than that, I don't imagine there is much else I need in the house? I know I will be slap bang in the middle of chemotherapy when it is Christmas. Apart from delegating to my (adult) children and husband, is there anything I can do now that might make it a bit easier? 

Thank you to everyone who has supported me this far. I have begun to read and explore this part of the forum (I had previously mostly hung around the 'recently diagnosed' section) and am finding my way slowly. I hope you don't mind me joining in over the coming months. It is so uplifting to know there is a community of us going through this strange, unplanned and unwelcome journey. xx

Hiya Cassie just did a big to do list sent to me by my accountant phew! Trying to decide what to do next Smiley Happy

The boredom and waiting parts of this are so horrid aren't they. I have decided that I need to stock up on things to keep me occupied next cycle when the brain is only half functioning 🙃
Hope there are lots of treats on your list for your husband ♥️🦄

Thanks for ur replies, asked the nurses when I went for a wig appointment earlier and got some gaviscon for the time being as not too bad they just said to contact them if it carries on and they will prescribe something. It does just seem to be contained to my throat at the moment so fingers crossed. Hope things get better for you ladies who aren’t well at the moment x
CK

Is it a book kindle or a tablet type? If it’s a tablet type I’ll give you a game of scrabble.

Think we all seem to be having a bit of a down day today!!  Everything OH has done I’ve moaned at as he’s done it wrong!!  Went shopping on my own coz think I may have killed him!!  He won’t let me start sandwiches as saying him and dad can sort it....cld be hilarious!! 

Still got got a bit of a sore throat but no temperature, but keeping an eye on it....if it doesn’t clear up will ring the nurses!!  

It it doesn’t do any of us any harm to get angry, cry, shout or scream, at the end of the day it’s all a bit lousy and we don’t deserve it!!

Heres some sparkles to get to get us back in positive mode, 🌟🌟✨✨🌟🌟✨✨🌟🌟✨✨

I have my kindle so done some reading but I have the attention span of a 3 year old so I'm always looking for something else to do. Hubby coming up later with some more stuff. I've sent him a shopping list.

Cassie i did crosswords, read, coloured, sucked swerts and slept when i was in but yes it is boring!!

Moshy and jelly tot - we all have days like you are having today and sometimes it doesnt take much to open the flood gates. I alwsys say that the title for my journey is most definitel 'Crying in the Shower!' As its the one place i can cry, swear, feel sorty for myself and tell myself ofg without upsetying anyone else!!

Hope you all feel better soon xx

Hi WhyteFawn, I’m working from home today. Not very exciting, off to my onc appointment in a bit. Hopefully will get my antisickness meds tweaked for Friday.

No TV when you’re stuck in bed is rubbish. Are there any newspapers or magazines kicking about?

Thank you ladies means alot 💖 I got my big knickers on now and a smile back on my face little Ella has come for a visit so lots of cuddles to cheer me up
Jelly tot it's horrible when you feel like that it comes and goes and shi is right we are all only human at the end of the day this forum is invaluable to us really as no one else really gets it for they?! Also I really don't like to put a debbie downer on everyone so today my GP got it! I don't think he was expecting it haha!
I told him about this forum he had never heard of it but thinks it's a great idea x back to my cuddles she just starting to stir love to you all 💖🌟🌟💖

Hi all. Still in the NHS premium hotel. No tv and my button doesn't switch my lamp off so I keep having to get up. I spend my lonely hours drinking and peeing and recording volumes of each. At least that gives me something to do. I feel fine just completely bored out of my brains.
What's everyone up to?

Ladies we have good days and bad days but no matter what we got each others backs so hugs to each and everyone of you xxx

Got my Hickman tomorrow eek 😬 x
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Jelly tot, it is bleepty bleepty bleep, good to get it out and have this forum to enable us to do it with people who fully understand😘😘😘💕💕✨✨✨good luck with next chemo, we are getting there and we will get each other through this ladies. Cassie hope you are ok and sending another 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺🕺to get well soon. 💕💕✨✨shi xx

Bless you Mishy.. this is all so **bleep**ty and yet we somehow soldier on, no wonder we have to let it out sometimes.Big hugs x
Have had my own wobble today, handfuls of hair coming out, blackened toenails 1boob like a deflated football ( soon to be chopped off).. Haven't slept properly since chemo 1 and constant diarrhoea....consequently I look like I'm permanently ready for Halloween.
FFS it's not fair is it!
Anyway I'm alive and hoping to stay that way so that's that.
Sorry rant over....
Chemo 2 on Friday woo hoo all aboard!
Xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Mishy, I am sure we all get those wobbles, you would be a robot if you didn’t and it does help to just let go get it out and then get the positive pants back on again and get back on the forum where we all are who understand and can send you 😘😘💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💕💕✨✨✨💪💪💪to help you get through. You’ve been on the chemo train longer than we have mishy, you are doing amazing and have been such a big help to all us here on Oct thread. 💕💕✨✨✨love you shi xx

Big hug Mishy this is a tough tough journey we have all been press ganged into 🤗🤗🤗🤗

Caddie hope you get well soon xxx you must have been a bit frightened passing out like that 😲
Hoping you are all we this morning Karana hope you are taking it easy Shi glad you are so positive about your hair it really the best way to be and yeah a nice surprise when it comes back a different colour and curly
I'm thinking of being uncle fester got the head the white face and dark circles only need the clothes 😂😂😂 not doing anything just be handing out sweets and treats to the kids who call trick or treating 🎃
Had a big wobble this morning went to docs for my bloods for Wed and ended up crying my eyes out and it all came flooding out maybe I needed to I don't know I am typically one of those people who just laughs and smiles my way through stuff so maybe I needed to offload ☺️
I do feel better since I did!!!
I'm hoping all you SE are behaving for you all and Cassie you are in the right place if you are poorly they can keep a better eye on you 💖

Welcome Jem16 I am also on lansoprazole for acid reflux. I was prescribed it quite a few years ago as it is a family trait with us. I only take it from time to time now but always for the first week after chemotherapy to keep the acid at bay. The nausea is enough to contend with. If you were actually sick after chemo ask you oncologist to tweak your anti sickness meds next time. I have it been sick on cycle 2 but have still felt nauseous no fun but better than first cycle.

Hi Jem x

Good luck for today BuddyFan x

So sorry you are in casa NHS Cassie. Here is my little dance to hopefully get you home as soon as possible. 🕺🏼🕺🏼🕺🏼🕺🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼 Day 3 of second cycle for me so back to the dreaded injections. First signs of any pain in my hips and back this time and I will be asking for stronger painkillers. Also husband has a cough and cold and not sure how worried I should be about catching it? He’s banished to the spare room for sleeping but still managing to wake me up in the night! xx

Just to add I am on daily lansoprazole (similar to omeprazole) - I think you could take it at any point if the acid has built up in your stomach. Because the antiemetics stop some bowel movements it can mean the acid has no where to go - always worth a chat with the gp xxx

Hi Jem welcome - our phones can be a little unpredictable on the forum so watch out for the predictive text 😁
A few of us had acid reflux and sore throats in the first few days part of it is a possible side effect from the antiemetic particularly the domperidone if you are taking that. Just keep an eye on it in case you need to switch (quite a few if us switched). I am also on a PPI for the reflux now but I know a few of the girls successfully used some over the counter antacids - might be worth a call to your gp or BCN just to manage things early? We have all found it good to check in with our health care teams early if we think there might be a problem

Also lots of advice about mouthwashes if you want to scroll through our thread. Hope you feel better soon ♥️Ruth

Hi Jem16 -normal Rennies are fine but also your team can give you a once a day antacid like omeprazole - may be too late for this cycle but next one they can offer this for a week over the worst days. If it is your actual mouth and throat then you can be prescribed benzydamine mouthwash or others swear by corsodyl that you can get yourself. I managed just with warm salty mouthwashes on the first 2 cycles then had benzydamine this time as had a lot of ulcers xx take care xx

Meesh I have decided to go the no wash route to see what happens 😳 Have straight hair though so probably a little less troublesome than yours 😊 Although the conditioner from the cold so will have to be washed out!! I am planning to take my own conditioner in this time as can't really vouch for the chemicals in theirs! Plus it was really perfumed and the smell haunted me for days 🤢🤢
🤞 Your hair stays put after this cycle xx

Hi guys, I’m new to this and not quite sure how to comment using my phone! Lol I started first chemotherapy last tues and had really bad nausea for the first few days, which had thankfully seems to have gone for time being but I’ve now got a burning throat; a bit like acid indigestion but not repeating on me if that make sense! Any tips or do you know if I can take normal rennies?
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Meesh glad your hair has survived the wash great news.  Lost a bit more with the wash today think it'll be full on bald by this time next week.  It'll be interesting to see what colours and if we end up curly when it all grows back wont it ladies.  Karana, agree buttering duties for oh for him then and also a bit of cleaning you need to avoid germs.  Mrs Meow, you have a good water company very very good service.  I am a woossy needle phobe no more and have just done my 1st injection on my own, funny how 6 days of being a pin cushion in casa nhs toughens you up isnt it.  Dizzy thats a relief for you that your daughter has gone off the sparkles this year for halloween bet her cosume is amazing.  For those of us with cats, is it just my cats that have forgotten how to use the cat flap because you are in they see you as their own personal back door opener?  or am I just too soft with them.  They've had me up and down like a yo-yo today and its only 10.15.  I've let them out, they then use the cat flap to come back in and then they want me to let them out the back door again.... I didnt expect at the start of 2017, I'd be playing door games with the cats by end of Oct.   Ladies have we agreed a destination yet where we are going to meet up?  We need to find a food place for us to book, unless we are all still craving the Maccy D's by then.  Speaking of Maccy D's I'm having one tonight, been craving one since Jencat had one the other day and can resist the craving no longer.  Has anyone risked a wig off amazon?  I've been having a look and see one thats under £20 that I might take a chance on.  Im not going posh wig shopping till the chemo's done.  Has anyone got a lgfb course this week?  Is anyone leaving it till after chemo before they go on it?  Cassie, hope you re ok sweety.  sending lots of love and sparkles and get better dancing Shi xx

Morning ladies morning mrsmeow

Cassie so sorry to hear you have been booked in to casa NHS here is my big jig to help you get better
🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺💃💃👯👯👯👯🕺🕺🕺🕺👯‍♂️👯‍♂️👯‍♂️💃💃💃💃✨✨✨🌈🌈🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄

Hope today is going to be a good day for everyone ♥️♥️
Good luck with chemo two today BuddyFan 🍀🍀🍀🍀🌈🌈✨✨

I plan to try a little walk and then some admin and hope that this week can feel like a little lull in the storm. Also hoping to get my healthy diet back on track as last week was definitely all about the comfort food!! Wig fitting on Saturday which I feel a little wierd about. Am hoping to find something that will help carry me back into a normal working life when this stops and will be presentable at meetings and things without feeling like I am the cancer patient in the room. My eye lashes have definitely started thinning 😕 The one thing I hoped I might keep but no hair movement anywhere else although based on the reports from you lovely ladies I know it is a bit early (day 12).

Is it wierd that the thing I am most excited about this cycle is the time I feel safe enough to just go sit in a nice cafe and have a cup of coffee and read a book or better still a nice mindless magazine. Oh the simple things!!

♥️🌈♥️🌈Ruth xxx

I’m still secretly dancing about him not golfing so yes he will be buttering bread! He has staffed it well just the preparation I will need to supervise, and shopping!!

I’ve been using mouthwash the hospital gave me but maybe shld switch to corsodyl ?? Keeping eye on temp and it’s ok at the minute!

Meesh glad you’ve got nice clean hair now 🤞 xxxx

Hi Dizzie, i think that's the thing with curly hair it falls out then gets trapped in with the rest of your hair so when you wash it quite a bit comes out. I always had the same problem, plus I didn't brush it very often either! Sounds really manky I know but as you'll know curly hair doesn't deal well with being brushed! 😊

Karen, I use the corsodyl mouthwash to (daily mouthwash) too.

Chaffinch, perhaps you can persuade the cat to sit on your head to keep it warm 😹 My cat is not happy with me thus morning as she wants to snuggle up on my lap on the sofa and I've got to work so am at the kitchen table! I'm glad my supply wasn't cut off this morning, I couldn't have gone another day without washing my hair! 

Speaking of which, hair wash is done, loads of hair came out (probably end up with a blocked toilet and OH will go nuts, but didn't know what to do with it). I think I'm going to get a friar tuck look as the top is looking very thin, but elsewhere it isn't so bad, I'll see how it looks once it's dried, maybe I can do something with a wide headband 🤔, will definitely gave to get wig trimmed though. Glad to have nice clean head though and to be rid of the matting!

Karen, I'd be gleeful too about OH not getting to golf! They do sulk though don't they and sometimes dealing with that us worse than them going in the first place!

Cassie, sending some more 🦄🌟🦄🦄✨✨💃🏻🕺🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🏻💫⚡️🕺🏻💃🏻🕺🏻🌈🌈💃🏻

Buddyfan, good luck today with chemo 2 I'll send the chemo 🚂👨🏻‍✈️

My T2 today

Just waiting for the porridge. Hubby stayed in bed all day, partly to keep away from me. My temp is v.good and uti that put me in nhs and delayed chemo is clear, so all systems go.

Meesh, sorry to hear you're in hosp but best place if you have infection. Do you other ladies have a specific oncology suite of rooms? We have a MacMillan unit which is where they admit you for initial investigations and antibiotic hit, during thw working week. outside hours it's A&E but I have a card to say they must see and give antibiotics within hour.  From either of those, fingers crossed it's the oncology ward with individual, en-suite rooms and excellent service and oncology doctors. Otherwise, it's the general wards where they aren't so specialised. eg. they take blood from arm rather than line.

Karama, I've started Corsodyl, fesh mint mouthwash, on advice. Tried the plain and it left a foul taste in my mouth in the night and morning. First few tries it was a real blast and I didn't like it, but used to it now.

Good luck any others on chemo today.

Cassie, you’re in the best place for when you’re ill, I hope they get you all fixed up v soon though x

Welcome MrsMeow, the more the merrier and we do try to be merry. Always good to meet a fellow curly head 😊. My hair is currently staying put, although it might be thinning. It’s so hard to tell when I used to lose handfuls every time I washed it. Feeling the draft around my neck now it’s short though.

My little girl decided she didn’t want a “girl’s” costume this year so she’s gone for zombie. Maybe the sparkly phase is over for her 😁

Have a good day everyone ✨✨✨💖💖💖
Highlighted

My head is freezing today not sure how men manage with bald heads and buzz cuts all the time. My hubby has been bald since he was 20! I’m sitting on the sofa in a hat with a blanket and a cat, it’s chilly.
Hope you get home today Cassie and that they are looking after you well xx
Looks like your hubby is on bread buttering Karen 😜.
Sounds like you had great customer service from your water company MrsMeow maybe I’ll give mine a call too. I suspect that I won’t get through their website has crashed this is a big problem I think. Many grumpy Monday people unwashed and caffeine deprived!

Keep an eye on your temperature Karen and take it easy today xx

Thank you for the welcome ladies - hope you all have a good day
Chaffinch - hope your water is sorted - I had a lovely experience with Scottish water when they sent a note of a planned change to our water supply last Monday - I rang the customer care line to make sure that the water would still be safe for me and they were so kind - they arranged for bottled water to be dropped off in advance and also put me on a register so that if anything else affects our supply (or access as I was worried they would dig our drive up) that they will keep me in mind - they even wished me well with my health - it's lovely when strangers especially in big companies go that extra mile I was quiet touched. Maybe you could contact your supplier!
Take care all - and keep cosy is a chilly one today especially in the head area missing my curls to keep me warm! X

✨✨🌟🦄🦄🌟✨✨💃💃💃💃💃✨✨🌟🦄🦄🌟✨✨💃💃💃💃💃 let’s see if that helps Cassie xxx

I’m secretly laughing to myself as hubby not been picked up for golf, he’s now sulking, I’m now cheering!! He does know about buffet as he booked it....he has this ability to not panic about these things, probably because I’m the one that takes control!!

Will try mouthwash Meesh, thanks for that tip! Hope you get on ok with hair Wash, keep us posted xxx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh Cassie, I hope you are going to be ok, if you need any advise on what they are doing while you are in come on the forum the May ladies talked me through everything that was going on when I did casa nhs 1st round really helped because you don’t know what’s going on. Ali great news day 12 and ok, let hope that Life Mel Honey works for both of us this cycle. Mishy and tatyana, thanks for helping buddyfan and us with the t tips😘Karana, please look after yourself you are amazing but you need to put yourself first this is not your average train journey. Sue good luck with Hickman line tomorrow and who’s up for chemo this week? Good luck to you too and we’ll get us all through this and the whole journey. Wishing everyone’s se’s better and sending 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺caddies dance better, girls we need some dancing for Cassie, worked last time and got me home thank you. 💕💕✨✨✨✨shi xx

Fun times this morning, the whole of our area is without running water after a water main burst overnight. Fortunately there was enough water in the kettle from last night to make my porridge pot and cup of tea. We have a couple of bottles of water in the house too and plenty of milk and fruit juice. Glad I’m not off to work this morning.