Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

Dont know why thats posted twice with a change in!

Good luck tomorrow SueW and anyone else starting tomorrow. Remember to drink and have your sweets around. I have been ok today, day 16, and went for a lovely walk in the sunshine and a nice lunch with my friend. I even remembered to put sun lotion on!! I am also feeling tired Cassie and Claire. My 2nd treatment is the day before you.

I noticed this morning that my hairy legs are no longer hairy, my pubes are going and my hair has definitely started shedding. I had a little cry with my mum this afternoon!!

Anyway i have pulled myself together and said to my kids that we are going to think it can go now, in the Autumn, with the leaves and come back in Spring with the flowers!! As long as it doesnt come back like grass!

I just notices in a magazine that the up and coming trend this Autumn is the silk headscarf. Just like my mum used to wear, tied under the chin. What more could we ask for to keep our wigs on!
Hope everyone gets a good nights sleep xxx

Good luck tomorrow SueW and anyone else starting tomorrow. Remember to drink and have your sweets around. I have been ok today, day 16 and went for a lovely walk in the sunshine and a nice lunch with my friend. I even remembered to put sun lotion on!! I am also feeling tired Cassie and Claire. My 2nd trestment is the day before you.

I noticed this morning that my hairy legs are no longer hairy, my pubes are going and my hair has definitely started shedding. I had a little cry with my mum this afternoon!!

Anyway i have pulled myself together and said to my kids that we are going to think it can go now, in the Autumn, with the leaves and come back in Spring with the flowers!! As long as it doesnt come back like grass!

I just notices in the Marie Claire magazine that the up and coming trend this Autumn is the silk headscarf. Just like my mum used to wear, tied under the chin. What more could we ask for to keep our wigs on!@
Hope everyone gets a good nights sleep xxx

Evening all cherry as usual you have my laughing and make this path seem so normal 😂
Clairebell if you press on the persons name as long as you are logged in you get the option to private message them
Well I just been for a meal for the hubby birthday and going to try and have an early night ready for tomorrow however the 2 hour nap this afternoon might put a stop to dropping off to sleep easily x

Hi Meesh

Good to hear that you didn't have too many side effects after your first sesh. Bodes very well as the nurse told me yesterday that your reaction to the first round tends to set a pattern for the following one but the side effects are usually fewer and milder the second time. Fingers crossed for you xx

Hi Cherry Bakewell sorry but that really made me laugh, I'm sure it can't have been a very nice experience but I can just imagine an Argos trainee digging for potatoes in your veins! It's encouraging to hear you feel equally well after your second session. I too didn't really suffer too much after my first one so hoping for the same when I have my second in a couple of weeks. They also had trouble with the cannula in my hand (no trouble finding the vein or putting it in, just decided they wasn't happy with it) and opted to put it direct into my arm. The guy who put the one in my arm was brilliant there was no bruise at all and I didn't feel a thing! I hope it continues to go well for you.

Evening Ladies

Not sure whether I should be posting here or in September starters but I know quite a few of you on here so I thought I'd just post a quick update on my 2nd chemo sesh. Couldn't post yesterday as I went out for dinner after my treatment (yeah, getting a bit cocky now!! 🤗)

As with last time the actual treatment day was somewhat eventful. I had a trainee chemo nurse putting my cannula in, unfortunately she made a bit of a bodge of her first attempt and I nearly passed out!! And cos she'd hurt the first vein she then had to inject the epirubicin (the scary, potentially flesh burning red drug) manually with a big plastic syringe which was pretty uncomfortable too. Not convinced she totally knew what she was doing. When I almost fainted she tried to take my blood pressure on my leg but that didn't seem to work either. I suspect she's actually a trainee at Argos but somehow ended up at Clatterbridge...

The magnificent news for all of you in the Cold Cap Club is that this time the cap was a much less harrowing ordeal. I think my electric throw really helped and I'd upped my painkillers from paracetamol to cocodamol.

Unbelievable really that it wasn't as bad because due to all the faffing about with my newby nurse I must've had it on for 4 and three quarter hours!!! 🙄 I better not lose one single strand this cycle!!!

Today, very little to report. Feel totally normal - not even my rosy cheeks this time. The only low point was having to attend a meeting with a new client and explain that I don't usually pitch up at meetings looking like I'm sleeping in the woods. I'm just glad that during my last oncologist appointment she announced that my lump had shrunk by half a centimetre or I'd honestly question whether the chemo was working!! 

Anyway, glad to see you're all perky as usual. Really sorry to hear about your picc line Runnerbean. I decided against one of those and despite my nurse apparently digging for potatoes in my veins yesterday, I'm still going to persevere with the cannulas now.

Cherry Bakewell xx

Hi Reboot
I've had an itchy scalp all day today too. I realised today I don't want to loose my hair either and feel like you but I think I'm going to get a nice hat and not worry to much about a wig maybe? We will see! Hugs for you for Monday xx

Reboot of course you can join. Everyone is welcome. Don't worry we'll all hold hands. The chemocoaster is like life. Every now and again you just have to throw your hands in the air and scream lol.

Cassie x

Claire and Cassie, can I join your carriage please? My 2nd cycle is on Monday. Though I’ve always hated rollercoasters!!

Lots of love to everyone starting tomorrow xx

Sue, your FB announcement is beautifully worded, I wish I didn’t have to keep messaging everyone but at the same time I’m not ready for that yet.

My hair’s kind of aching today, I’m not sure I’m ready to start wearing the scarves yet. I really wasn’t worried about it in the build up to all this, but now it seems to be affecting me more than I thought.

Lots of love ladies xx

Thanks for sharing your fb post Sue! It was really nicely written and covered everything! How do you dm people in the forum here? X
Community Champion

Good luck tomorrow Sue !!!!

Thanks Debbie x

Very best wishes tomorrow sue w on the start of your new journey,  and also to other ladies xx

Highlighted

Chaffinch .... re ck I private messsged her and had reply yesterdsy she has been working and said she is on most right after chemo when she has to rest but has less time in her working days x

Thanks for the best wishes for tomorrow, my chemo is at 11.30am. It is reassuring we all together on this 'chemocoaster' now the time is nearing I am terrified but your support means everything.

I will be drinking gallons of tap water tomorrow & over the weekend! 

I also had a problem with my picc line overnight like Runnerbean, hope you are ok now by the way.

After having it put in yesterday I had a 4 hour wait in my local a&e, my arm & fingers swelled I couldnt remove my wedding rings from my finger, after an examination I was sent home, the swelling has reduced today & seen a district nurse today & had numerous calls from the oncolgy nurses, I will be exmained tomorrow before the chemo too. 

Love to all xxx

Cassie, I have only been shaving one armpit since my surgery as the guff I read said I shouldn't shave it anymore due to risk of infection in case you get a cut. Not that I've ever cut my armpits shaving but you know there's always a first time and it was bound to happen! Then I stopped shaving my legs and the other armpit because was told shouldn't when on chemo for same reason. I haven't bothered with my eyebrows for ages either as I figured they'd probably fall out.  So I look a right hairy state at the moment! I also popped on one of the monthly threads the other day and someone was talking about tamoxifen giving you facial hair, so I'm guessing I could end up looking like a bald hairy monkey with a beard too if my facial hair grows quicker than that on my head!

Hi Runnerbean, sorry to hear you've had a rough time of it. I agree it is important to get things checked out if you're worried or not sure. That's what they get paid for, that's what my bcn nurse said they get paid to take care of our worries. My OH got a bit annoyed with me because I've phoned the oncology nurse about 4 times in the last week all about minor things but you just never know and I'd rather get things sorted quickly than let them escalate. Since I told him that some of you have ended up in hospital he has been a bit more understanding and asked me to phone them today to see if I could catch the flu from him when he has his flu jab Monday!

chaffinch, have you tried the September forum re: CK? When was her 2nd chemo?

Anyone heard from CK since her latest chemo btw?
Not like her to be quiet, I’m a bit worried

Sorry to hear that Runnerbean, it’s a lesson to us all to get ourselves checked out if unsure about anything.
I told my Facebook peeps because I had found out by self examination following a documentary where a lady had been nagged by her friend to check herself. I decided to be the nagging friend and put the word out there and I made the post public too so that it could be shared too.
The bald hairy monkey comment made me chuckle.
SueW I’ve been thinking pink food too to up the donation level. Thought maybe bacon sarnies in the morning. Bacon is pink and we buy kilo packs of cooking bacon from Lidl which is usually really tasty bacon you just have to avoid the packets with big chunks instead of slices. We then cook it on trays in the oven and keep it in the fridge ready to microwave for breakfast. We thought that we could just take a load of bread rolls and the cooked bacon and people can help themselves, after donating obviously!
Might make some pink cakes for lunchtime too