cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: October 2017 Chemo Starters

Sorry you are still in hospital Ali, hopefully now it’s not the weekend you will be able to get the answers you need quicker. Welcome Ruth to the place no one wanted to come but it is a great support and everyone will understand what you are going through. I have been hit with fatigue really badly now. I’ve only been awake for a couple of hours in the last day or so and also have pain in my neck like my glands are throbbing. The nurses don’t seem concerned as my temperature is fine so just making the most of the extra sleep I’m getting for now. xx

Welcome Ruth!!  I also have found this forum such help since starting chemo last Wed....although wish someone had told me not to eat Chinese last nite lol!!  I'm gonna attempt a veg bake for tea and add extra spinach...I can't stand liver or Guinness so won't be opting for either of those I'm afraid!!  Went to Tesco today and had to open a punnet of grapes before I got to checkout as started to feel very strange!!  

I also agree that that's a lot of wee sue!!!

How are you doing Sam?

xx

Highlighted

Hi Ruth, you might be surprised by the short hair. My hair had been past my shoulders for about 20 years and when I had it cut everyone loved it including me! 

Good news about the liver, I'm not a huge fan but have eaten it fairly regularly over the last six months so will now add to the weekly diet.

Hello Ladies, 

Hope you are feeling better & home soon Ali.

Thanks for all your replies regarding my question, I have literally re read this whole October 2017 thread with a notepad making notes on what else to get in to eat, drink & occupy me whilst havng the chemo.

I've been for a wig fitting this mornng & hopefully getting that on Thuesday just before chemo starts

I am also toying with the idea of shaving off my hair before the chemo on Friday too, will see how I feel on Thursday.

Can I just ask about fingernails, what can I do to try & preserve them? 

Claire xx

Hi Meesh, I think we have the same philosophy with the cold cap. I have bought a few turbans - they can today. Figure that short hair is going to be such a shock (have always had bobbed hair or longer) that I will probably wear them anyway. Just tried them on and with a bit of lipstick on they didn't look as bad as I feared!
I am going all out on the nutrition as much as possible. I think I have trouble processing my B vits and find spirulina and wheatgrass in the morning (in a green juice) has really helped me - not sure if I will stomach it after chemo though.
I have also been eating liver once a week since my surgery - have you tried liver pate? If you can stomach butter it is so easy to make and really delicious.

I love liver and bacon yummy
No lol ck no touching what’s so ever from the strange man in my bedroom 🤣🤣🤣
CK

Hi Meesh
I heard Liver is good as is Guinness😄
Liver onions, carrots, peas and gravy! Yummy!!
CK

Hi hope your male reiki master didnt grasp you with both hands SueW!
I had reiki the day b4 my chemo treatment and felt surprisingly calm on my 2nd cycle.xx

Chaffinch, you're so lucky! I'm back to cooking my own dinners, not doing too badly but I struggle with lunch. I used to have a huge chicken or salmon salad, which I do still fancy but can't be bothered to prepare! 

SueW that is a lot of wee, bet you'll be glad to hand it over and be rid of it. Hope the results are ok.

Does anyone know if we can eat liver? Just thinking it might be good as that too is full of vitamins and iron.

Me too chaffinch not even sure when I get results but got to take it all to path lab tomorrow when I go to see chemo nurses then I got an appointment with endocrinologist on thursday when I should get mri results x

Welcome Ruth07, sorry to see you on here. I too had never posted on a forum before but found other peoples comments so helpful and supportive prior to my treatment, that I felt I should post too if only to try and help carry on the good work of the forum! I also had my hair cut short and am trying the cold cap. Not sure it'll work but glad I tried as it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Good luck with your treatment and if you've any questions just ask, we're not experts but someone will always have an answer! Lol

That’s a lot of wee! Hope results of it are ok x

Chaffinch still collecting wee today ends tomorrow morning at 7.45 not that I counting or anything but yesterday passed without incident lol x 🚽

Welcome Ruth07. This is a great forum for support. We really need people who properly understand what we are going through both physically and mentally at this time. Best wishes for your future treatment.

Thanks SueW - i am so sorry to read everyone's stories - such a crap thing to be going through but so good to not feel alone. I too am seeing as much light as I possibly can through the dark. Bit nervous at the moment but know it will be better when I know what is happening when - the drip feed of information when you get diagnosed with BC can be excruciating!!
I am on FEC x3 then T x3 like a lot of us. Triple neg so then on to radio after that (pending genetic testing Smiley Sad. Haven't seen my chemo unit yet so not sure what is on offer. Hope to do some comp therapies like acupuncture so would love to hear other people's experiences xx

Morning all Smiley Happy
SueW hope the shave goes well today and that the rest of the weekend wee collection went without incident!
Karana, we were told to avoid takeaway food, it is also pretty oily usually which is tough on your insides.
My hubby has been amazing and has cooked some seriously healthy food over the weekend. A great fish pie and a chicken soup full of veg, ginger & garlic. I read an article about altzhiemers which said how good lots of herbs and spices are for micro nutrients. Cumin is very good for red blood cells is anti microbial and great for the immune system apparently which is great for me because I love it.
Hope that your pre assessment and hair cut go well Jelly Tot.
I’m feeling ok so far today and the sun has now come out after a dark rainy start so onwards and upwards 😊

Thanks Cassie x
Hi Ruth welcome to the mad house but a thoroughly welcoming mad house x
Sorry to see you joining us but welcome nonetheless
Feel free to ask any questions, vent and laugh as appropriate x you will probably have noticed out threads are not all doom and gloom and we take our laughter where we can
Big hugs 🤗 xxc

Hi everyone, hoping I can join in this nice thread Smiley Happy
I am post surgery waiting chemo - due to start next week and PICC line in this week (waiting for the call to confirm everything).
Feel lucky to be able to read through all of your experiences already. Have been fairly low key whilst going through surgery and not usually one for online forums but figure if there is a time to reach out for support and comradeship then it has to be now!
Have been trying to figure out hair plan and all your posts really helped. Have decided to cut short b4 chemo and try cold cap on first cycle to see where it takes me. Lovely to meet you all.

Yes was takeaway but literally had a small amount of egg fried rice, a bit of chicken from the middle of a chicken ball and a couple of prawn crackers...won't be doing that again tho!! I've just been washing my hair as normal as not had cold cap...have short hair anyway and decided if it goes it goes!!  It's been itchy last couple of days!! Xxx

Good luck with the shave Sue! X

Sad not sag lol unfortunately I am sag as I get older lol saggy belly and butt x

Morning ladies
Ali hope you can go home soon x
I have got sea bands ready for Friday
Today in the shower I realised I was washing my hair for the last time I thought I would be sag but I am not and I am sure it is because my sister is shaving with me xx
Hope everyone has a fabulous day xx

Did you have chinese takeaway Karana? Just take care with the take aways!

Morning! Am off for my pre ass today, what should I expect ? Also going to make an appointment to get my hair chopped , will try the cold cap but my hair is so long and thick I need to cut it shorter anyway. Hope everyone has a good week xx

Happy Monday! How is everyone today?

Oh Ali I hope you're out soon sweetie. It must be awful for you stuck in there. Though you are in the beat place to get all the treatment you need.

Chaffinch, I had chemo on Thursday, the last dom perignon I took was Sunday night. Wasn't sure I needed it but took as prevention as I'd rather not feel ill overnight. Left Sea bands on till Tuesday morning so I knew I was ok without drugs. Took them off Tuesday morning and not worn since. Had no nausea since. If they're uncomfortable check you've got them in the right place. When mind were on I couldn't feel them. Though a couple of times they moved in the night and I could feel them in the morning.

Cassie x

Morning ladies....sorry to hear ur still in hospital Ali..hopefully they will let you home today!  Good luck sue with the shave!  I've still got my sea bands on (day 5) and also scared to take off!  Only had 1 donperignobe yesterday but had a small amount of Chinese last nite ( egg fried rice and bit of chicken) and was really sick 30 mins after!  Thought I'd managed to get through without sickness but obv not! Hubby was going to golf this morning but decided he better not...I'm feeling guilty he's missed it now!!! Xxx

SueW, good luck with shave and well done with the fund raising such a positive thing to do. 

Ali, sorry to hear you're still in hospital, hope you can go home today. I also bought some wheatgrass and also some spirulina but haven't had any yet (thought I could add it to smoothies to disguise the taste).

chaffinch, I'm still wearing my sea bands as like you I'm scared to take them off. If I'm ok today I'm going to take them off tomorrow as nthats a week after my first chemo!

Now going to log into work (going to try working from home this week and see how I go). I feel ok so think I have to show willing even if I don't continue at least I can say I've tried!

So sorry to hear you're still in hospital and on more medication, Ali! I hope you can get some relief from the side effects soon. Is the hospital food ok? When you get out you might like to try the following? I'm adding wheatgrass and molasses to my breakfast muesli each day to boost my immune system and support blood regeneration. I'm telling myself they are good for me and it makes it taste better if covered with a chopped banana! I've got used to it now and so far so good! Unfortunately the medical profession don't support natural remedies but there is growing evidence to show these foods are packed with natural sources of vitamins, amino acids and proteins which have health benefits. Good luck with your recovery and hope you can get home soon! Hugs Cx

Still on hospital! No oncologists over the weekend so i am hoping that my bloods will show a further increase in my white cells andcthe onc says i can go home. They were 2 on Friday and 3.3 on Saturday. They didnt take bloods yesterday but have this morning. I have been on oral antibiotics every 8 hours. I had a real 'feeling sorry for myself moment' last night. The kids all text me saying 'love you mum, miss you mum'! Then i had to have a 2nd canulla put in as the first one had been in since friday and they didnt want to take it out before the new one was in. I am like a pin cushion! Apart from that i am good!!! Hope everyone is doing well and ready to face the week xxx

Those of you have worn sea bands as anti sickness how long for each cycle did you wear them? I hate them, they are uncomfortable but I’m scared to take them off. I’m day 4 first cycle. Thanks in advance

Sounds like just the way to play it. Enjoy x

Well done SueW. You are brave xxx

Hairdresser coming to mine also my mom and her partne, dad, niece, my son, daughter and son in law, sisters hubby and my hubby and some friends
I decided if I had a full house we could make it fun rather than traumatic xx

Well done you with the fundraisingSmiley Happy
Are you having a celebration with the shave or a quick get it over with. I hope that you manage to take some joy from it with your sister. Just remember the good that your money will do x

Chaffinch no cold cap for me either have always had short baby fine hair and tomorrow is my brave the shave with my sister who is doing it in support of me and donating her long hair to little princess trust snd tonight has gone over £1000 on web page and we have £395 on paper form
Willnpost my shaved head pics tomorrow and a pic of my fab wigs xx

Thanks cherry bakewell, I haven't been doing anything with mine so far. I had it chopped fairly short and it's curly so I can get away with just finger combing it, really need to wash it now though. Our shower is fairly powerful so could take a jug in with me and use that instead. Encouraging to hear you still have yours on day 20!

Hi Meesh

I'm having the cold cap at the moment and was just told to do as little to my hair as possible. I done some more reading around it and you shouldn't wash your hair under a high pressure shower. I'm not taking any chances so I'm washing my mane in a bowl which is a bit of a faff and pretty primitive but the gentlest method I could think of. Am washing my hair as little as possible so it's not too much of a hardship.

Nearly day 20 and it's all still hanging in there (don't want to jinx it as I think next few weeks are when I'd be seeing the most hair loss.) If you want to wash your hair in the shower though I'd go for it. I've cheated and used a cool hairdryer on my fringe sometimes. I'm risking it for a biscuit as I've decided that if my chemo hair isn't able to withstand my hairdryer on its very lowest setting (the equivalent of a gentle summer breeze) then it's really not worth keeping. 

Cherry Bakewell xx

Sorry not me for the cold cap, my hair is very short and baby fine so no chance of keeping it!

Karana, no worries when is your look good feel good session? Mine's 26 oct which 2 days after chemo 2 I'm hoping I'll feel up to it!

Sam34, Chaffinch did you both cold cap? What were you told about washing your hair, I know we need to be gentle but can you just wash it in the shower? 

Thanks Meesha...we also have a big c centre on hospital site so will check out what's available when I go to collect my wig on Tuesday x Have booked in for the look good feel great afternoon...looking forward to that!  Xx

Thanks Meesha...we also have a big c centre on hospital site so will check out what's available when I go to collect my wig on Tuesday 😊 Have booked in for the look good feel great afternoon...looking forward to that!  Xx

Hi Karana, I got mine through my local "Big C" centre (not sure I have a Maggies near me). I'm lucky as there is a centre on the same site as the hospital and it's where they referred me for the wig consultation. You could ask your bcn as they could probably advise what's available to you in your local area. I found it really helpful as they also have books you can borrow (sort of like a library) and that's where they also advised I could get free reiki and also the look good feel good session.

My reiki was offered to me fre if charge by a local spiritualist centre x
I know other ladies have said it is available through look good feel better and Maggie centres if you have one local x

Had a lovely time with my sister thank you Meesha, although very short!!  Really gonna have to give Reiki a look as sounds good but not sure where t find out about it?  Well done Chaffinch for getting out and having a lovely warm scone....sounds lush!!  I've just been downstairs for a bit and had a packet of salt &a vinegar crisps...still feeling bit jittery but ok...may venture back down there again in a bit...feel like I'm missing out being stuck upstairs!!!! Xx

It wasn't too bad here earlier but now just drizzling. Glad you managed to get out for a bit.

Sorry to hear it is raining where you are Meesh73.
We have had a few hours of really warm autumn sunshine so we went for a walk and stopped at a coffee shop with nice clean outdoor tables (everything gets careful inspection from now on!) had a pleasant coffee and warm fruit scone in the sun not what I was expecting this weekend! Grab the little pleasures of life where we can. Caffeine hasn’t helped with the jitters but hey it was nice.
Back on the sofa now watching through the window as hubby scrubs the chicken house out 😎

Sounds like you enjoyed it SueW. I have some reiki booked but couldn't get booked in until end of November. 

I feel reassured that others are also feeling jittery and it's not just me (although I am sorry that you feel like that)! Having another day on sofa especially as it's now raining! 

Karana, hope you enjoyed your time with your sister.

If anyone has the chance to have reiki grasp it with both hands I feel so relaxed xx