cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2017 Chemo Starters

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: November 2017 Chemo Starters

❤️❤️❤️annakarenina so pleased to hear you are home and ok lovely lady ❤️❤️❤️keep positive thoughts for next week, you’ve got this 💪💪💪💪lady ❤️❤️❤️😘😘😘😘💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

So pleased to hear you are home AK, rest and relax, and enjoy the lovely sunshine. Try not to stress. But I know easier said than done. 🤗🤗

Bythesea glad everything is sorting itself and no more leaks. I can't believe that I was glued together it is amazing stuff.

Still waiting for fluid boob to subside but not getting worse.

Lesley hope your sore / redness is behaving itself.

Hope everyone is okay and putting on that factor 50 and enjoying the sun

Xx

Welcome back AK. Relax enjoy the sun and hope it's a good book. Love that you've got the wig and makeup on ❤️. I'm desperate for a shower but have resigned myself to baby wipes and dry shampoo for now. Although you have inspired me and I might go paint my nails. Take it easy little warrior x❤️X❤️X❤️

Yeahhhhhhhh!! AK is home 🍾 and enjoying the rays! Don't forget sunscreen!!
Continue with the gentle recovery, immerse yourself in a good book and try not to think about results until next Thursday morning!!
I am incredibly shallow and rationalised that they had taken what they had taken, and the results wouldn't change no matter how much I dwelled and worried about them....... The odd glass of Merlot helped as well. Fingers crossed they will be clear .
Sending hugs and love as always
Robin redbreast is doing ok!! 🤣☢️

Hello lovely people, I am home, dressed, compressed and with wig/makeup on which feels much better. Surgery on Monday was much less terrible than I anticipated (then again, my mind has a capacity for nightmare scenarios which would put a dramatist to shame).

I had a disappointment afterwards when the recovery nurse told me that they had taken 4 nodes, but I subsequently learned that was a mistake and it was full clearance. Still, the surgeon apologised for the misunderstanding and explained why it was the right thing to do. Apparently post-chemo, the dye can be blocked from running to a sentinel node either by disease (gulp) or by fibroidosis/scarring from chemotherapy. I am, of course, terrified it is the former, but we won't know until I get my results next Thursday afternoon. I am trying not to worry but it is so hard - I am dreading the potential of bad news and more chemotherapy etc. 

For now, I am (mostly flat) on both sides with a bit of swelling. No drains as my surgeon doesn't use them and managing okay in terms of pain. I came home yesterday morning. I am exercising as instructed three times a day to maintain movement and overall, surprised at how I am doing. The sun is a huge bonus. I am about to sit in the garden and read my book which is quite the treat for a Wednesday in April!

Bythesea, I am so sorry about your horrible experience - you so deserve a break.

Lesley, how is your red boob doing?

HF, are you feeling better?

Anadan, how are you doing post-final chemo and pre-surgery?

All on the thread, thank you for your love, friendship and support. 

thanks Bythesea - let us know how you get on this afternoon 🤗

They have finally agreed to the dressing prescription for me - as if they had an option!!  But will have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up and then wait in pharmacy for them to fill it .... good job I'm not desperate for it.

Lovely sunny, warm morning in Kent - always a good sign when you need your sunnies before 8am 😎

Don't forget the factor 50

xx

Morning Ladies ❤️
Jc they had been trying to glue the wound shut! Stitches seem to have done the job, no leakage this morning 😊
Lesley I'm sending Bon Jovi down for your halfway party, sorry he's late x
Carole and JC hope the lost nails were just a one off.
FMB how are you doing??? How was surgery/Spain????
Off to see onc for me this afternoon 😬

I haven't started Tamoxifen yet as GP hasn't received letter from hospital got an appointment on Monday so hopefully will get them then which would give me 2 weeks on them before I start back to work for any extra side effects to show up 

😱😱😱

Too right JC would of been an interesting addition to our stir fry 😂

Hi Bythesea I'm not having rads, which may seem odd but I had a lumpectomy in October to remove the tumor and that biopsy showed DCIS cells that were not expected, so it was recommended to have a mastectomy due to the possible potential of cancerous cells, and if the biopsy came back negative, which it did, rads wouldn't be needed. So I am now treatment done 😊 xx

Lesley, I can't believe there's an issue regarding yiur dressings. Makes you feel like just giving them the money. Yes, like you the front of my hair is growing back at a slower rate. Fingernails still have ridges but look ok, all nails are short.

Bythesea - I can't believe what you're going through!! What are they gluing? I will definitely keep everything crossed for you 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞. How long does a trip to the hospital take you, good luck for tomorrow & Thursday 🤗😗 (fmb went to Spain).

Sending you 🤗 Otter. Have you started your hormones yet as letrozole can give you stiff/aching joints.

Good luck with your continued recovery Carole, just as well you found your fingernail before you started cooking!!! 🤣

Xxx

I think it was FMB!

Carole when are you due to start rads??? Eeek on the nail!
Can anyone else remember who went to Spain? I'm sure they were coming back and straight to operation??

Thanks for your reply Lesley, hope you're going OK in the run in.

I have decided to take part in the run in, see how it goes too.

Start tomorrow after signing up and blood test etc today.

I guess it can't hurt, except for if I get heartburn during the run in, which I do get from ibuprofen, so I shall see!

All the best!

Fairydust x

Oh my Bythesea you really are suffering, I still have fluid boob and waiting for it to go down on its own, not painful just odd. Sending huge virtual hugs to you I really hope everything starts to settle down so very soon. You really need a break.

Oh and JC on the nail front I read your post and then wandered into the kitchen to cook dinner to find a strange blue thing on the work surface OMG 😱 it was my little finger nail and I didn't even feel anything. Now I need to take a good luck at all of them.

Hair growing okay but none on crown and also none on the sides at the front. Eyebrows are undecided as some are still falling off but also spiky growth happening.

Hope everyone else is doing okay and looking forward to some of HF's sunshine 😃

xx

Bythesea - you are certainly going thru the wringer!!
I really don’t know what to say .... wish I could give you a really big real hug!! 🤗🤗🤗🤗

Thanks Otter - counting my days down!

xx

Bythesea

Sending hugs and healing thoughts that you stay leak free 🤗🤗🤗🤗😘😘😘😘🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Hi 

My nails are also a before and after look and one has lifted toes look out but rarely get them out anyway

Lesley I would say the SE for rads peaked towards the end but really only last about two weeks but still feel very tired and joints swollen stiff and painful but once said this was hangover from chemo

Hope all surgery girls are doing ok

Been 🌧🌧🌧🌧🌧 here so hoping we get some 🌞🌞🌞 tomorrow

Evening Ladies,
I've had a nightmare! Got discharged on Saturday but sprung a leak on Sunday. District nurse came out and patched me up. Off to hospital yesterday for three tubes of glue, leaked last night so a&e gave me another tube of glue. Leaked again so was off to hospital this morning for stitches! so far so good. Everyone please cross your fingers the leak has stopped!!!
Off to see oncologist tomorrow for planning then back to see surgeon on Thursday. Absolutely knackered!!!
My eyebrows are growing in wild. Thick and black. Hair everywhere else is unwelcome!!! Nails are ok tho.
Can't remember who went to Spain??? Wish I went too xxx

Evening JC

Half way thru rads for me - still arguing with them over who is going to pay for my dressings - don't get me started!

Eyebrows and eyelashes are still conspictuous by their absence but my hair is growing - still got a bald patch at the front though.  Had to epilate my legs at the weekend - a few rogue hairs coming thru.

I was going to ask about nails.  My finger nails are definitely displaying a 'before and after' look half way up and I noticed yesterday that some of them are lifting half way up as well - I wouldn't be surprised if I lose them 😫  I keep my toe nails super short so I actually think apart from my big toe it has all virtually grown out.  Time will tell.

Bythesea - how are you getting on?  Have you had your next steps confirmed yet?  Home now??  Sending hugs and a wee dram or two!

AK - are you back with us yet - I know you read these and post later - so love and hugs and healing thoughts winging their way to you.

FMB - have you had surgery now?

Otter - when did you find that all your rad SE reached their peak?  Was it after you had finished your sessions?

HF - nice to see you have finally sent us some of your warm sunshine - thank you!!  Hope you are continuing to heal well.

love and hugs to all

xx

Evening ladies

Thought I would ask how you've all got on today with ops, recovery, rads etc ...

I lost one of my big to nails this morning , still that chemo keeps on giving  ... 

But on a good note along with hair on too I have a few eyebrow hairs slowly showing themselves and on a closer inspection there are a few eyelashes popping out too. I have other bits returning too 🙄

Wishing you all well

Xxx

🤗🤗🤗

Thanks Shi, I’ve already got it, but they have recommended not using any creams of any sort!
I think is because of where it is. Not much redness anywhere else fortunately. And the problem area isn’t giving me any pain .... yet!

Half way thru now though!! Not long before I start to celebrate once and for all!! 🍾🍾🍾🍾
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Lesley, havevyou tried the Holland & Barrett aloe Vera with tea tree gel? It took the 🥓🥓🥓out of my bap when it started to go a bit crispy and I had no peeling at all, it might help too. Annakarenina ❤️❤️❤️❤️Thinking of you 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

AK - holding your hand all of the way today and in the coming days!  stay strong!!

Love to everyone else as well!

My redness had calmed down over the weekend but the radiographer said after the 40sec of treatment it had flared up again.  They are reluctant to give me the dressings that help as they cost the NHS £5 each and only last 2 days????

Slightly annoyed at this approach.  I've looked and I can buy a pack of 5 for £18.  I will see what they say tomorrow but I can see an Amazon shop going in soon!!  

xx

Good luck today AnnaKarenina, we are all here for you ❤️❤️❤️

Hi Lesley

Hope rads goes ok tomorrow and boob isn't too red mine is starting to calm down but still have to take bra off by evening as gets uncomfortable

My hair is starting to thicken up and ok for going wig less at home but not sure if I'm confident enough outside I will be going back to work begin of May so will see then if I'm brave enough then as hot flushes mean wig gets uncomfortable

Hope you have all had a good weekend enjoying the sun but safely 😘😘😘🤗🤗🤗

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Big ❤️❤️❤️❤️👭👭👭👭😘😘😘😘💕💕💕✨✨✨for surgery tomorrow, keep 💪💪💪💪💪 love you shi xx

Happy Sunday everyone - bit late to the party .... sorry!

Spent a lovely weekend with OH, working in the sun in the garden - all covered up.  Then up to Balham this morning to help son and OH move house ..... and a chance to give him a hug before he does the marathon next weekend.

JC - well done you going with out wig/turban.  My hair isn't even enough for that yet - still bald at the front.  Sorry to hear about the tooth.  Not heard about the zoledronic acid substitute - interesting - if you hear more please pass it on.

AK - good luck for tomorrow - you will ace it - let us know when you can that you are all ok 💕

Bythesea - home yet?  feeling better?  sending 🤗

Boob still red - but not sore, if the radiographers hadnt made a fuss I wouldn't be bothering with it.

Back at 0830 tomorrow - only 11 more to go - soon be over!  Then I get my life back 😍

love to all

xx

Hi ladies

What a damp Sunday, but a normal weekend watching my son play rugby today and at the rugby club for lunch and prosecco with friends on Saturday. Wow getting back to normal 😊

JC no hormone treatment for me as I am TN and that's why I had chemo
The mastectomy was done to ensure that I had nothing untoward going on as my original lumpectomy showed DCIS cells which weren't expected so I had the rest removed and it was totally clear. As I am not a buxom wench my off the self implant matches reasonably well just more pert so I will stay as I am and in 6 months or so I will have the dent that I have from the original lumpectomy filled if I wish.

Good luck for tomorrow AK positive vibe and big hugs being sent your way 💕💕💕

Thank you so much everyone. I am packed, but not exactly raring to go! I have had a lovely weekend though and feel as ready as I can be for tomorrow.

Meanwhile, your support and friendship continue to make me a less neurotic, more smiley person - thanks team.

Wishing you all a good Monday and I'll be back boobless but relieved, I hope . . . xx

Hi

Good luck for the surgery girls tomorrow 🤗🤗🤗😘😘😘

I've got dentist appointment on Wednesday and know I will probably need some work done on 2 of my teeth that have been giving me gip though chemo and yes unfortunately will have to pay 😱😱😱

Yesterday had lovely lunch out with friends sat outside enjoy the sun and just chatting and caughting up nice to feel normal 

Yes I made sure I had my silly sunhat on and plenty of cream factor 50 🤗🤗🤗

Today is a different day 🌧🌧🌧🌧🌧🌧

Happy Sunday
Sadly Bythesea I have to pay for any dental work. It's now been confirmed I need to have my tooth out but I need a blood test & letter authorising the extraction from my oncologist and I am a complete wuss when it comes to the dentist, so am definitely not looking forward to any if this. But how are you doing, you've certainly been put through the mill 🤗

Has anyone heard of algaecal - It's a natural tablet form alternative to the zoledronic acid and it increases your bone density by 1% each year you take it?
HF that's brilliant news re your clear margins, hope you're managing to rest & recover. Take it easy 🎉🎉
Lesley I hope your mum is ok 🤗🤞 and it's great you're halfway (tomorrow) through your rads. Sorry to hear about your sore boob, hope you're recovered for Monday 🤗
AK wishing you all the very best for Monday. I hope it goes well for you. For me the chemo was far worse than the op 🤗🤞
Carole are you going to have hormone tablets and how about your other boob, will that need any further treatment? Great news everything has turned out fine for you 🤗
Just another thought, has anyone been recommended any particular sun lotion. Is there something we shoukd be using,

Finally, I had a lovely shopping day out with my daughters followed by TGI's and theatre (42nd Street, absolutely brilliant) all without wig/turban, just my short grey/white/brown fuzz. It felt amazing!!!!

Happy Sunday

Xxx

🤗😘🤗😘💕💕

Big hugs, AK. I'm not gonna lie, the surgery's no fun, but you can do this. I'm the biggest cry baby in the book -- just the thought of the dentist makes me whimper -- and I'm out the other side and can honestly say it wasn't that bad. The care is wonderful, the drugs work, they know how to do this, they are so skilled. And, unlike chemo, it is over quickly and then you get to marvel at how your body recovers. 

Love to all,

HF

xx

hi fairydust

first day of taking the 8weeks run in tablets today.

A few things persuaded me to enter it, aspirin is based on naturally occuring ingredients, it is also known to have other health benefits - strokes etc and it helps with cognitive function (anedoctal).

It sort of felt like a win/win situation.

It isn't something that is directly going to affect my treatment, in so much as I wouldn't be worse off if I wasn't on it, but as long as I'm not on the placebo, it might help lots of things.

Also it will keep me under the oncologist after my three years of zoledronic acid is finished - it's a 5 year trial!

As I say bit of a win/win situation

hope this helps

xx

Hi Lesley, I'm from the September thread. I'm TNBC, soon to have discussions with oncologist 're this add aspirin clinical trial. I understand you have started this trial recently. What was it that made you undertake the trial if you don't mind me asking? How is it going for you this far?

Thanks

Fairydust x

😔

Oh Bythesea are you back in again I thought you were headed home yesterday?

You rest up and take care xx

Hi Bythesea
Taking naproxen as I had them originally prescribed after surgery but surgeon said ibuprofen was fine and to wear as supportive a bra as possible. It's not too bad so she would like it to go on its own, but I'm to keep an eye on it as it may need draining. Hope yours calms down soon.
Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us xx

Good to hear from you Carole and glad your doing well x. What anti inflammatorys are you on?
I've been on IV antibiotics since Tuesday night. I had massive boobie syringed on Wednesday night and had surgery on Thursday morning for a wash out. So lying here with drain on one side and IV drip on the other! Got own room again tho 😊

Afternoon Bythesea - yes I told them, but these are a completely different type - they are silicon and fold with your skin, can be worn in the shower etc, it feels more like padding than a dressing - I've had a peak and there doesn't seem to be any reaction so far 🤞 it stays that way!

How are you feeling? 

Carole - well done - all over!!  Get you with your pert strapped up boobies!!  Bet you are relieved!!

xx

Well Hello ladies ❤️
Well done Harry fiddler now take it easy x
Lesley Hope your mums ok and your boobie gets better. Did you tell them dressings don't agree with your skin???

Good afternoon ladies

Where has the day gone. Well today was follow up appointment with my surgeon and I have some fluid collection around implant so anti-inflammatory tablets and keep the boob strapped tight to help this go down and all should be good. Apart from that all is very good as all tissue removed was cancer free so no more treatments for me. She wants to see me in six months to look at cosmetic work, but I knew she was pleased with her work when she said I had a nice cleavage 😃😃. I still have a follow up appointment with onc in a couple of weeks to discuss check ups etc.

AK I'm here to hold hands, you will be fine. I can't believe I've made it this far and you will too 🤗

Oh Lesley hope you are not too sore and that it improves over the weekend. I am sure a large glass of red will help 🍷

Good to hear you are okay HF and all went well, relax and take it is easy. Hope recovery goes well 🤗

Anadan hope SE are being kind to you but remember this is the last time

Bythesea I hope that you are doing okay sending some of my healing vibes but not the swelling boob ones 💕

JC good luck with the tooth.

Hope everyone else is doing okay too and I hope everyone has a lovely weekend

xxx

You'll be fine AK - we will all be holding your hand as you go into theatre and be sitting eating your grapes as you wake up.

Practice your arm exercises so before hand so you know what you are doing next week - and keep them going.

I left rads this morning with a dressing in place.  Under my boob is quite inflamed and they were worried about the skin breaking down over the weekend.  They will look at it again on Monday.  It's not so much the rads affecting it but the whole 'overhang' situation - nice, damp warm environment for the skin to rub. 

I haven't felt any discomfort - until they put the dressing on - typical.

9 down, only 11 to go!

xx

Hello Lesley, it is Monday (16th) and I have to be there by 7.30 am ready for the morning list. I have a posh lunch out schedule for tomorrow which is a treat but there is a bit of me that keeps thinking 'the condemned woman ate a hearty meal . . .'! 

How is everyone today? xx

When is your surgery date AK - sorry if you have already said, brain still on up to speed!

xx

Hello everyone, anxious AK here anticipating surgery and catching up on everyone's news and the chat on the thread. I have been grateful for busy working days and some lovely social events in the evenings to keep me occupied and a bit less neurotic! Monday is looming huge in my mind now. I may need Lesley's gold catsuit. I am currently washing with gorgeous antiseptic pre-lotion as instructed, so I will be clean if I borrow it, honestly.

Bythesea, so sorry you're going through the mill with difficult news about next stages and possible chemo again and then hospital admission. It is the worst of news and I am sending love, thoughts and healing vibes across the border to you.

HF, wonderful to hear your progress and to know that you're doing well post-surgery. You, Carole, Bythesea and all of those who have gone before me are my guiding lights at the moment. 

Lesley, you are so right about the stingy effects of the Lush soap in eyes. I lathered up as if I still had hair and then ended up with far too much that dripped into my eyelash-free eyes. Ouch, ouch, ouch. 

Anadan, you are a complete star. Amazing work - I know what it takes to do 8 cycles and you have done brilliantly. I am proof that even after 8 tough rounds, you do begin to emerge and feel relatively well/normal. After about 2 weeks, I really began to feel better and it was so uplifting to know I was fighting back from the wretchedness of chemo. Take your time and be proud of yourself. 

JC, I am rubbish with dentists (do you see a theme emerging here?), so I am wishing you well for your horrid treatment and hope you are doing okay now.

Have a happy Thursday evening everyone. xx

Morning all

Good to hear you are home and recuperating well HF - long may it continue!

Bythesea - are you all settled in back home?  How did your planning meeting go?  I was thinking about you at 3am this morning ...... are you going to have to travel over on the ferry every day for your rads??

Saw the gynae man last night - everything looks fine, he isn't sure what the gp was looking at but he couldn't find a prolaspe.  He thinks my issues are to do with chemo and should go away on their own, given time.  But obviously he wants to do more tests - just to make sure!! So ultrasound scan and colposcopy to be arranged in the next 4 weeks then back to see him to be hopefully signed off!

My mum has been referred in on a supected cancer pathway yesterday - she can't remember if it's gastro or colorectal - fingers crossed she is one of the 90% that it's all just a big scare!

Number 8 of 20 rads completed this morning.  I feel as if I am flying thru them!

Happy Thursday to all - nearly the weekend 

xx

Just a quick wave from Oz. I got home on Tuesday with one drain, and the surgeon took it out yesterday. The nurses at the hospital told me to beware if he took it out, because he just yanks, but it didn't hurt at all, thank goodness. But the best news is clear margins, everything cleared out as far as they can tell. 

Congrats Anadan -- you survived! Boo to bugs, Bythesea. I hope you feel much better soon. And I think we need pictures of your fluffiness, Lesley. I'm also fluffy, but a patchy mixture of grey and dark mouse -- not very glam. I'm taking suggestions for what colour to go next. 

I'm losing track of everyone. Is AK having surgery? And Carole too? That's a big speedbump I'm glad to have behind me. Now I've got a few weeks before rads and hormone therapy. 

Have fun,

Harryfiddler xxx

I like my pig in a butty with brown sauce!!  🥓

🤣

Maybe they'll offer you a little animal hammock to hold you in and you can join our little club???🐷🐷🐷xxx