cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: November 2017 Chemo Starters

Anadan - my nails are the same as yours..... maybe not as pronounced but definite half and half.  I am sure I am going to lose a few as they get towards the top.  One in particular feels flaky on top where the 'joining ridge' is!   Something else to look forward to!

I was completely out of it yesterday with tiredness, but still managed my walk around the village, it was just a lot slower.  But AKs message came thru as I was enroute so I started reading it as I walked and nearly walked into the back of a parked car!!!  What a wally!!! 

First targeted rad under my belt .... so to speak - they have told me to expect sore nipple and armpit.

The area under my breast looks a bit like gravel rash .... or as the OH says a burn when the blister has popped.  I have taken a picture, just so I can track what it is doing, but I haven't posted it - dont want to put anyone off their breakfast!!   I'm seeing the MacMillan radiographer tomorrow for my review so I will find out when it is expected to reach it's peak and should start improving.

No aches today and energy levels are back so I had a very quick trot thru the hospital this morning from the furthest carpark to Oncology.  I will be stormtroopering around the village at lunchtime!

Otter - good luck with your visit and start of work.  The only bit of advice I can give you is that all thru this journey we have known that x, y, z is going to happen and we have built it all up and dreaded it and then we have had to get on with x and y and z and some of it has been ok, some of it hasn't been as bad as we thought, and some of it has been a bit worse ..... but we have got thru it all and, even if we don't feel it now, we are stronger people for it.  You know your job, you can knock any of these new upstarts out of the ball park ..... hold your spiky haired head high, your shoulders back and give 'em hell.  You have the November Army behind you - we have your back !!

It's always worth remembering that in employment law anyone with a cancer diagnosis falls under the DDA, so employers and employees need to be very careful about how they treat us both in a formal or informal setting. I have heard instances of subtle bullying .... where colleagues aren't happy because people are on phased returns or reduced duties etc.... but they can be prosecuted for discrimination - bit extreme I know, but it's worth making the point sometimes.

AK - good luck on Thursday - we will all be sat outside in the waiting room with you 😍

Hello November Ladies 💕😘

Lesley, congrats to your son and to you, too! 

‘Weeping’ 😣 doesn’t sound right ... I hope you’re feling better 💜

Otter, I keep thinking of you 💜 I can imagine it’s stressful to come back after a long break, plus ‘new’ you and new people ... I hope 8th May will be a positive experience x

AnnaKarenina, thank you for your update 👍 I’m glad you’re doing ok post surgery. Yes, I do worry about it all... 

The reduced dose of docetaxel was the right rhing to do. I feel much much better 😀 I didn’t have to take morphine, soaking in epsom salts did the trick. I feel very tired though, and my skin is very dry although I use tons of moisturisers of different type, and my nails ... I’ll show you the picture, but be warned , it’s gross ...

Also, my feet are constantly cold and my arms get numb, from elbows to fingers, like when you sit still for too long, this kind of numbness... and of course tingling and pins and needles all the time, I hope ut goes away with time ...

xxx

F6FFD8C2-8684-4158-BFC6-F2570058C8A6.jpeg

Both looking fabulous Lesley! 

Hi all

Went to the doctor's wig less today so getting a little more confident about it 

He has agreed to me going back to work 50% of my hours for 8 - 12 weeks but to take it easy and expect set backs as he said it can take 12 - 18 months to even start to get back to my old self 😱😱😱😱😱😱

Which is probably going to be how long it's going to take me to lose this weight as even though l was good last week input on 2 lb not lost it 😞😞😞😞

Lesley hope the sore boob is improving

And that everyone else is doing ok 🤗🤗🤗

Hello everyone, how are you all doing? 

Brilliant to see you and your son at the Marathon yesterday. It was so warm in London town that I was worried for everyone running the race - an amazing achievement by you both, him for completing and you for walking all those miles to support him, especially with a badly behaving breast (then again, we all have badly behaving breasts . . .). How are you doing this morning? I hope you are resting well.

HF, I really admire your response to the results/review meeting. Mine is on Thursday and I am dreading it (Lesley your words of wisdom about approaching the prospect of bad news helped enormously - thank you - although I still may be borrowing the gold jumpsuit). When does radiotherapy begin for you, HF? We all have to keep on keeping on in the determined and supportive way that brought us together when we started chemo. Right? 

Otter, I am super impressed that you're planning to be wigless and JC that you've taken the plunge. I don't hate my wig which is just as well as I have barely a hair on my head 5 weeks after my last chemo. I know I had more doses than most on the thread, but I am beginning to fear that I may be one of the rare ones whose hair never returns. I have been lathering up with the Lush soap shampoo but there is zip all to see yet. I look like an egg. On the return to work point, I have worked through treatment but mostly from home with a few bits and pieces/visits throughout. I went back to the medical school 10 days after my last chemo cycle and it was so good for me to be back properly. Everyone was wonderful and I have to say I am itching to return post-surgery. I hope you find that the new team is as supportive and welcoming as you deserve. 

Anadan, how are you doing now my lovely 8-cycle companion? I am guessing you might be getting a bit apprehensive about surgery and I just wanted to say that, as you know, I am a complete coward and was so frightening before I went in last week, but it really isn't anywhere near as bad as I feared. Compared to chemo, it has been really okay. I was discharged the day after the bilateral mx and node clearance and going for walks 3 days post-surgery. I went to the cinema at the weekend and have been managing with paracetamol only since day 4. I am here if you have any questions at all. Do ask and know we're thinking of you. 

Wishing you all a good start to the week team November. xxx

thanks JC I was beginning to wilt at this point!

xx

Well done both of you- Lesley you look fab!!!!! 😗

fullsizeoutput_10f0.jpeg

This was us at the finish line - to be honest I don't know who had the most difficulty getting up!!

Just spoken to him and he literally can't walk - bless him - wish I had been there this morning to cook him a fry up, instead of being fried myself!! 

xx

You must feel very proud Lesley - it was so hot yesterday. Your son must be feeling chuffed 🏃🖒
I'm not surprised you're knackered though, try & rest up today. Well done on being wig & hat free, I agree it is liberating and no one really takes notice. Sorry to hear about your boob - nearly there 🤗

Otter if you're feeling up to it try and bite the bullet and be yourself. Your work colleagues know you've not been well. If you're not up to bearing your head then wear a hat or scarf as your hair is growing back and, hopefully 🤞, the weather will warm up again and you won't want to wear your wig. Your confidence should grow once your back at work and in some sort of routine. See how you feel on the day of meeting up 🤗

Xxx
💕☄💕☄

Well done to your son Lesley and to you for walking nearly 10 miles! I'm worn out just walking down the road!

Sorry to read about your poorly boob, it sounds really painful xx

Hi all

Hope you all had a good weekend enjoying the sunshine 😎😎😎👒👒👒🌞🌞🌞 safely

Looks like it's going to be colder know that I made my mind up to go wig less so not sure that I'm brave enough now 😞😞😞

I should be having a meeting this week to met the new team before I start back on the 8 May but not sure what to do as my head gets cold but the wig makes me hot and itchy 

I suppose I should just bit the bullet and say this is me like it or lump it and if my head cold wear a scarf or silly hat just don't know what to do as my confidence isn't what it was 😱😱😱

Thanks to you all for your lovely messages of support .... amazing day! Tom completed in quite a slow time, just under 6 hrs ... but he finished. The atmosphere was amazing, I would recommend it as a day out to anyone!
I am paying the price today though! Walked just under 10 miles in total in the heat - very stiff and knackered today. It took three attempts to get out of bed for rads this morning!

In other news .... I went wig and hat free for most of the day, I put the wig back on when I was with Tom as he doesn’t like seeing me ‘poorly’. It was very liberating and I wasn’t aware of people looking. I think another couple of weeks and that will be them consigned to a box!
I wore factor 30 all day and you can’t even tell I’ve been outside at all!!
Boob has finally had enough - my sore patch is now blistered and weeping ... not attractive! And although that bit isn’t sore .... which you’d expect it to be, I am getting stabbing pains inside my boob - which at times do take my breath away. But st least it means it’s working!!
So the last of my ‘general area’ rads today. The 5 targeted ones start tomorrow and then I’m done 🎉

Think I will be going back to bed when I get home xx

Happy Monday ☀
Lesley - I watched the marathon yesterday & thought of you. How did your son do and were you ok?
I watched my youngest march yesterday pm for St George's Day & had to go & buy floppy hat & sun cream as we were standing in the sun, which was hot. I went in a telephone box to apply the sun cream- thought I may have come out as superman 😄 xx

Lesley, good luck to your son ❤️❤️❤️ I think you should get that lobster outfit of yours on and run with him. Will watch out for you cheering him on. Take care ❤️X❤️X

Good luck to your son running tomorrow Lesley - enjoy watching him but don't overdo it!! 🏃 x

Having a busy weekend and will catch up everyone's news later, but just want to wish Lesley's son good luck for tomorrow xx

Hello all!

Sounds like everyone's making great progress. Well done, AK, you got over the mountain! And JCMB, did you have the tissue reconstruction? I am in awe of your bravery. Sorry to hear about the seeping, Bythesea. Not a favourite word. I'm enjoying a little seepage myself, but not on your scale! Down to smallish waterproof dressings over each wound, hopefully coming off in a few days.

Last week was a bit sobering. Visit to medical oncologist to talk about next steps. I'd managed to persuade myself that it was basically all over but he reminded me that I had a few small tumours in my nodes (which they didn't pick up in pre-surgery scans) and gave me probably more information than I really wanted. But I bounced back quickly -- a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit and I'm back into 'what will be will be' mood. 

Then I had a drama on Thursday because my 17 year old daughter went to an 18th birthday party and did a complete number on herself. I had to pick her up and ended up spending an hour sitting on the stairs with her feeding her ice chips -- thank you, chemo, for that handy tip! She was very very apologetic and mortified and adamant that she's never doing that again. I couldn't really be angry -- she's been such a trooper, so responsible through all my treatment, and the hangover was punishment enough!

Now I get a nice week off treatment and, hopefully, my ache-y boobs will gradually calm down. Thanks for the updates about rads, everyone. I'm psyching myself up for it. They're going to zap my armpit. Also talking about a trial of new hormone therapy on top of aromatase. We'll see.

Also - went to the opera WITHOUT wig. Very proud of myself (although there are so many wigs at the opera that I was probably in the minority.)

Hang in there everyone, 

Harryfiddler

xx

Jencat - I was given calcium tablets at the beginning but then they stopped as the checked my levels on regular chemo check ups.
No one has said anything about addition blood tests - I’ll see what happens on Thursday

Xx

Hi Lesley, I had my first stand alone Zoldronic Acid yesterday and so far so good! (Have you got a information sheet about potential se's?) The nurse said to me I should be fine as bone pain se is usually only felt by people that have already got prolems with their bones. It felt strange though as I had to go back to the chemo unit for it.

Chemo nurse confused me as she gave me calcium tablets to take home even though she said my calcium is fine! She said they would let me know if I needed to take them, but I'm not going again until Oct! When I said this to her, she said she thought I'd be having blood tests more frequently than that! My onc hasn't mentioned that to me, has yours? I'm wondering if the nurse got confused because Zoldronic Acid is also used for secondary cancer and maybe she hadn't realised that wasn't the reason I've been offered it x

Well done Otter - I met friends today for pub lunch & went hat/wigless. The first time i did it i thought people would look and stare but no one did.

I think it's great you're meeting up with new team before going back to work 🤗🤗🤗 xx

Yes definitely too hot for a wig so was brave today and walked round Tesco without and I wasn't aware of any one looking at me

Have a chat with my work and I'm going to meet the new team next week and if it's like this I might just decide to bite the bullet and ditch the wig 

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine safely

🌞🌞😎😎👒👒

one more hurdle anadan and you will be finished!! relaxing in the garden is the way forward - plenty of time to get stuck in when you are feeling stronger!

I've got my LGFB session the week after I finish rads - so I hope it's as good as yours - I am seeing it as my passing out parade!!

This weather is way too hot for wigs!!

xx

Oh, Otter, another big milestone! Good luck 💞 I've been off work since the end of October...

Headwear wise, because I can't find anything decent for myself, I would have to be brave 😀 I work with nice people though and everybody knows, so no point hiding anything.

I forgot to tell you, I went to the LGFB workshop last week Smiley Happy I enjoyed it Smiley Happy nice people (we were all comparing hair growth, but it depends on so many things ... But most of the ladies said once it starts growing, it is quick Smiley Happy and my goodie bag was pretty awesome - Lancome, Clinique, no7, Liz Earle Smiley Happy

Hi Anadan

8th May will be a big day for both of us as its my planned day to return to work after 6 months off and the whole team dynamics have changed as well as me 😱😱😱😱

Also the decision whether I'm drave enough to go wigless or not

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine 🌞🌞🌞😎😎😎🤗🤗🤗

Good morning, Ladies 💞
It's beautiful here, so I'm sitting outside and enjoying the sun 🌞
I wish I could do some gardening, but I'm trying to save my fingernails Smiley Sad they're very sore, two have lifted off and are literally coming off 😱🤢🤢
8 May is my surgery date, so a few more weeks to pick myself up.

AK, well done you 😘😘😘 so proud of you 💞 my turn now Smiley Happy

Bythesea, I hope everything's better now and you can rest and relax, sending love 💖

And 💖💖💞💞🌞🌞🌞 to all November Ladies xx you all keep me going , I'm running like mad behind you and catching up Smiley Happy

Feeling the love Lesley ❤️ You lovely ladies have made every step of this adventure "normal" xxx
JC you look sooooo healthy x.
The sun has yet to make an appearance up here. It has been showing face later in the evenings but not enough for me to worry about sun cream and wide brimmed hats yet. I'm still wearing a Woolley hat when out and about. My eyebrows are growing like mad! They are thick and black, as a blonde they are wild!!! I'm telling myself it's because the sun hasn't had a chance to bleach them. I'm not having a problem with water retention I think my problem is muscle wastage. I've lost 5kg since my first op and I'm pretty sure my lost boobie didn't weigh that! I'm so weak 😔
Stitches are holding but I've got a little seep further along but hopefully it'll heal over the weekend. Planning session and tattoos should be in two weeks with rads starting no sooner than the 21st May so my body has a deadline to get properly healed 😊
March and April have been a bit of a bed ridden haze but I'm making a comeback so hoping for gentle exercise all weekend but not enough to make my seep a leak. Enjoy another day in the sun ladies and remember slip, slap, slop x❤️X❤️

Thanks for that - I have to wait until at least 2 weeks after I've had my tooth out and I don't know when that's happening.

🚶🚶🚶 xxx

Enjoy the walk JC - I’ll try and put up some photos of Sunday!
I finish s week on Monday - because of the bank holiday I started on a Tuesday .... 1st of May will be treatment free ..... apart from the zoledrinic acid - I’m having my first stand alone one on Thursday - I’ll let you know how it goes and any SE!

xx

Lesley good luck for today - do you finish next week?
Enjoy your weekend, you must be so proud of your son, hope he does well but remember you - hydrate & cover & protect yourself if you're hanging in the sun too long!!!
Great news regarding your weight loss, you've inspired me to start that journey now.
And Lesley you have been so good to all of us, helped us when having an off day, made us laugh (wigs in the bath, gold hot pants etc), had some really useful advice ...
This thread is amazing 💕
Happy sunny 🌞 Friday to all - I'm off out for a walk before it gets too hot xxx

🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Busy day for me, rads at 0830 then straight on a train to London for a meeting at royal Brompton, then home, quick change and over to OH’s for the weekend!
Sunday I’ll be back in London to watch my son run(stagger) the marathon!! I’m looking forward to the atmosphere but worried about my boy in the heat - this will be his first!

In other news..... I’ve lost 5 lbs since starting rads and I’m 7lbs lighter than my chemo heaviest.
Water retention is playing a big part, I weigh myself every day and it’s fkuctuating by a couple of pounds some days. It would be good to know what aggravates it so you could do something about it!!

Bythesea are you back home now? Is today your onc appt??

Happy, sunny healing to AK and FMB

Love to all you lovely ladies - as I was doing my walk yesterday I was thinking about my ‘journey’ and other than my OH, you are the only people in my whole world who have truly understood and helped me thru it .... so thank you 🙏 😍

Thank you ladies - I went hat & wigless into London at the weekend but do cover up shopping locally (plus seeing mum). You'll be brave enough when you're ready Otter. I think the lush shampoo has helped - the front is definitely a lot slower growing back.

I shall try the ambre solaire factor 50 xxx

Love the hair JC mine is nearly that length the my girls say I should just ditch the wig and go as I am but not sure I'm brave enough out in public yet

Lesley my knee and ankles are really puffy the last few days so hoping it's the heat on top of the weight which isn't shifting even though I trying to be good and exercising 😂😂😂

I'm using amber solar 50+ arms are a little bit browner

Xx

are you going brown Carole?  I dont appear to be changing at all??

xx

Fantastic hair JC, growth is so good, and eyebrows too. You look amazing.

I'm using amber solaire factor 50, think it's their kids one. And so far so good 😊

Fabulous hair growth JC x

Thank you 😘
Eyebrows are slightly growing back but are helped with eyebrow powder x

Looking good JC - yours is much longer than mine, but I have cut it twice.
I’m not going to cut it again til it’s a lot longer

Eyebrows are looking hot too!!

Xx

I'm thinking factor 50, but hopeffully nothing too floppy.

Here's a link to a pic of my hair growth https://photos.app.goo.gl/ycExI4FhcpNAUPUa2

(wasn't sure how to add actual photos)

Xxx

HF - what advice do they give you re the sun - do they recommend any particular brand/creams at all?

We don't get enough exposure to this sort of problem ☔️

JC I have been using factor 30 and no burns ....where I have applied it! Just bog standard Nivea.

But I have only been out in the sun for short periods of time

I am thinking when I go away I need factor 50 or higher tbh ???

I've put it all over my head as well - my hair seems to like the attention  

I've got a baseball type cap which I have been wearing when I go for my daily walk, but in the garden I've been wearing a wide brimmed hat - I think both will be a staple element of the summer.

I am really surprised how sensitive my skin has become to the sun - how does that happen?

But I am still determined to enjoy it ☀️

xx

Good afternoon ladies on this bright and cheerful sunny day

Bythesea, so far no more nails lost, though I did laugh at Carole and imagined her nail in her stir fry!!! Hopefully your wound has stayed closed 🤞. Are you able to have a bath?  🛀

Lesley, about time they made a decision regarding your dressings . Thanks for sun cream advice  - there always seems to be a bit somewhere missed. I don't know if it's fluid retention or extra weight 😄

AK glad you're home and it wasn't as bad as you thought. Enjoy relaxing in your garden and remember to do your exercises as they do help

Fmb, good news regarding  your  mastectomy and reconstruction . Enjoy your rest in hospital. My toe is slightly tender, it looks as if there is a nail underneath.

Ladies, what sun screen are you using - I don't tan too easily, red first and then a light gold if I'm lucky, so have been avoiding the sun a bit. I have a straw hat to wear in the sun, my gp also advised sunblock on my scalp.

Enjoy the good weather xxxx

🤗🤗🤗🤗

I am going to have to order a parasol for the garden!!  Another thing I never thought I would have to!

Can I ask - has anyone else noticed more fluid retention since the temperatures increased?  Or is it just me 😫

xx

My head is not ready for the public but sitting in a shady spot in the garden hatless and wigless as its far too hot. I hope I don't frighten the neighbours 😜 xx

Yay well done FMB. Holy smoley I thought I was long with 5 hours!!! Your a hero. Bet you've got a sore throat and some stuff to cough up! Although coughing not easy with stitches. Rest up and take it easy ❤️❤️❤️

Fab to hear from you fmb, so pleased that all has gone well, wow 9 hours you are a real hero. Keep looking at that sun it will lift the spirits too.

I can't believe loosing my nail didn't hurt it was about 2/3rds down that it detached itself, it must if just snapped some how, who knows.

Thanks for the advice Lesley covered myself in factor 50 yesterday and was okay but like you usually tan easily but was terrified of burning

Hugs to all xx

Good on you FMB!! as the others have said, rest up and allow yourself to be cared for.

Just a little note about the sun - I tan quite easily .... well I used to! I sat outside for my lunch yesterday and also went for my usual walk. I covered myself in sun cream ..... but I obviously missed a few bits - the missed bits - all in random places - are crazy red! Fortunately the radiographers didn't notice it this morning so I didn't get a lecture! xx

JC...aggghhh losing a nail was one of my fears after docetaxel, funny what we dread.
I hope its ok.

Bythesea- sorry to hear about your experiences, hope everything is glued up wirh no reoccurring leaks x

My hair is growing which is great although like you all there are some areas I wish wouldn't come back 😂😂

Lesley - well done you on getting thru the rads 😀
It will all be over soon

Yes...thanks for sending the 🌞🌞 HF even if I am stuck indoors, its nice to look out on blue skies.

Carole...good job the blue nail didn't make itninto your dinner!! I cant believe it didnt hurt!

I hope Otter and all other ladies are doing well xx

Hi FMB

Glad all went well 😘😘😘 take it easy and enjoy the room service 😊😊

Hope everyone else is doing ok and enjoying the sun 🌞🌞🌞😎😎😎

AK rest well, glad all went well x

Hi everyone 😀 lots going on as usual.
Apologies for not posting...went from Spain to settling in in-laws who are child minding this week to my op in Oxford.
Successful mastectomy and reconstruction.. drugs at the push of a button. Expect to be in hospital 1 week. Op was 9 hours on Tuesday but managed to sit up and stand briefly yesterday so Dr is happy.
Goal today is walk to my chair...woohoo.
Am covered in a hot blanket to encourage capillary connection...trust it to be on 2 of our hottest days this year.
Enjoy the 🌞🌞 ladies and take care
Xxxx