Did you mean: 

November 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: November 2017 Chemo Starters

😄
Ah Lesley you do make me laugh!! It's great there's a bell for you to ring 🕭

Xxx

Morning all

Just had my penultimate rads - and thought I would check out their 'bell' situation as the unit where I had my chemo didn't have one.

Turns out that this unit has a very delicate glass bell ....... I can see I am going to have curb my enthusiasm on Mondy ..... this could all end very badly! 

xx

Woohoo AK, so so happy for your news.
💖🌻🌼

Bythesea I will see if I can find it but will have to watch when OH not around has he hates medical programs

In relation to your tattoo you should get a planning meeting a week or so before your treatment starts which is when they take all the measurements and do the tattoos one in your cleavage area a one on your chest under your arms Remember you have to be in the exact some position for each treatment so make sure you are comfortable

I'm still in a bit of pain and stiffness  in my shoulder but that's from an old whiplash injury 

Hope everyone sleeps well

💤💤💤💤💤

That's nice to know that the programme is positive Bythesea, the stories on the Stand Up To Cancer were upsetting to watch x

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Annakarenina 👍👍👍💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻👏👏👏👏😁😁😁wonderful news bit of everybody was Kung foo fighting while wearing Lesley’s gold jumpsuit on the jukebox 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Lesley, great photo of you and son, he did amazing ❤️❤️❤️Sorry I’ve not posted before to say congratulations to his achievement, been doing 11 hour days back at work, how you worked through treatments Lesley just amazes me and then some. 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

It's all positive. Even the incurable, they are just getting on with life which is reassuring. It's nice to see that even if the worst happens there are still treatments. I've watched it home alone too 😊

Found it Bythesea, so will probably watch it tomorrow when I'm on my own. Is it mostly uplifting though as I noticed it mentioned one lady who's bc is incurable, so wondered if I'd find it too upsetting to watch. Interesting that it's the hospital where you're having your treatment x

Not sure if it's regional but I've just watched the cancer hospital on iPlayer coz I missed it last night. All about breast cancer. Don't know if I liked it more as it's where I've had treatment and where I'll have my rads. Shed a little tear when the woman rang the bell ❤️

AK, fantastic news! 🎊🎈💜💜

Yay Annakarenina well done 😊 Good ole Lesley's jump suit x
A good day for me too as I got my plaster off and no more leakage 💦 Finally I can get a full shower woop woop woop!!!
Got my rads appointments too so should finish on the 8th June with three weeks to spare before holidays 😬
Which session do you get tattooed the first or second? And does anyone know if we can wax yet as my hair growth is getting out of control! My chinny chin chin is starting to look like harryfiddlers!
❤️❤️❤️

Great news 🎉🎉🎉🎆🎆🎆

Now relax and get healed ready for the next stage

Hugs and kisses xx

Fab news AK, so pleased for you, open up those bubbles 🍸🍸🍸 💕💕💕

Great news AK 🎉🎉🎉

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!! Get in!!!

Well done AK - love and hugs and bubbles of celebration!! xxx

The gold jumpsuit, tunes, photos and vibes worked well! 

Just home from a positive appointment. They removed all the cancer and analysis showed only 5% of the cancer cells had survived chemo. They took 12 nodes of which 6 were affected and they are confident they have got rid of it all with some clear ones to spare! No need for any more chemo (phew) and onwards to radiotherapy. Scars healing well and dressings off which feels strange but good. Huge thanks for all your support and kindness team November. xx

Positive thoughts winging your way AK 🌈  let us know how you get on! 💕

Just back from Rads at one hospital and Zoledronic acid infusion at another ..... and I left my phone at home this am ..... sure sign I am getting over excited!

Happy Thursday all xx

Thinking of you AK and hoping all goes well 💕💕

Lesley, hope rads goes well today. 1 more down, only 2 to go! Smiley Happy xx

AK, will be thinking of you this afternoon x Hope everything goes well x

Thanks everyone for the support as I approach today's post-surgery results appointment. I am, predictably, a bundle of nervousness and worry this morning, but that is to be expected I guess. 3 p.m. seems a long way off and also horribly close . . .I will be drawing on Lesley's gold jumpsuit, Shi's tunes, HF's sunshine, Bythesea's beautiful photos and everyone's support to get me through today. Thank you all for being there and for always understanding and listening. xx  

I had a bit of trouble with broken skin under the boob, especially where the drains went close to the surface. The nurse insisted I wear a bra so I ended up wearing a thin cotton t shirt *under* a sports bra at one point. (It's a pretty good look -- NOT). HF xx

Hi Anadan,

I had the double MX on April 4. It took me a couple of days before I had a really good look. One of the nurses was very kind and encouraged me to look. They also had a counsellor on hand (who was a bit weird).I had a huge hysterical cry on day 2 -- completely took me by surprise, but it obviously needed to come out. It seems like an endless stream of pain and indignity at times, but I can at least reassure you that I've got used to my two new mounds. They're obviously not me, but they're fine and now that the swelling is reducing I'm quite comfortable with them. Hang in there. It's horrible. It's not fair. It sucks big time. But you've done the worst bit now, and you're still here!!! xx HF

Anadan i second your gratefulness to this group ❤️
Ha not looking for hero status just meant surgery is a walk in the park, and it's nice to have someone make you dinner and tea while your in hospital and to just listen to you. When is your op?x

Thanks for the banton Lesley! Smiley Indifferent

I think you can carry off the wig free look btw x

Have I told you yet, Ladies, how grateful I am to have met you ? 💞 Thank you so much for your support and advice 💖 I'm feeling better already xx

Bythesea, I'm having BMX; I know, everything you've gone through ... 😱 doesn't compare to my surgery Smiley Happy you're my hero xx

AK, Lesley, Otter, Carole, Bythesea, thank you so much for your kind words xx
I hope your swelling and tightness go away quickly, Lesley, I hope the post rads info you've received today is only theory Smiley Happy

AK, thinking of you 💞💞

😱 feels a bit like an over pumped football.
No not sleeping in a bra but maybe should be. Am wearing a very supportive sports bra as told to wear something tight. Am also taking ibuprofen to help swelling. Not tried under wired as my incision is underneath my breast and want to give that area plenty of time to heal well first.

One tip she did give me today was if the skin is broken you need to protect it but it also needs to dry so it’s ok to blast it with a hairdryer on cool to help do this, especially after a shower etc.
Great idea .... but I can’t remember where I’ve hidden my hairdryer!!

Sweet dreams all
AK, sleep tight xx

Thanks Carole, I was drained before op 4 and it was a piece of cake although needle looked like the thing you put on a bike pump to blow up a football 😳
Think they prefer it to go on its own as drainage can introduce infection!
Are you sleeping in a bra and have you tried underwired ones yet????x
I went through a weekly Champagne Thursday phase (although more often it was cava or prosecco)!!! 🥂🍾🥂

Oh and no change when I breath in X

Hi Bythesea not sure if fluid is getting less or more or no change. The only way I can describe what it feels like is that when you are breast feeding and your boob's become tight and full of milk it's that sort of sensation. Just tight and heavy. Will see BCN next week to get her option on if it needs draining, but I think they will leave it to go down on its own.
Fingers crossed for champagne Thursday. Should be a weekly event 🍸🍸 xx

Ha not frightened but will be following you intently to see what happens two weeks later. Driving out to alps so sore boobie and 14 hours in a car might not go together! Eeek!x

Yep Bythesea finish on Monday - handing the baton on to Jencat. I can’t believe I will be completely finished.
Don’t forget to pass around glasses of bubbles if you open a bottle!!
Short wig is Welch as it’s from the Racquel Welch range. I’m ready to ditch them all - but my hair doesn’t agree with me.
I really wanted to do my last rads wig free - but it’s not to be .. maybe another few weeks!

Hope I didn’t frighten you with my rad comments??

Annakarenina it sounds like you are recovering well ❤️
How's your fluid Carole and is it tight when you breath in??? I've got a big pec and it feels like it all gets tight when I take a deep breath?
Lesley I've got 3 weeks of rads. I thought it was four but that was when they were trying to keep my boobie. Now that there's nothing in there I only need three weeks 😊 Does the short wig have a name???
Anadan sending you the biggest of hugs x. Surgery will be no probs, take it from me. Today is my first day off surgery. I've had an op every two weeks since the 27th Feb!!!! Off to see the surgeon tomorrow to get plaster off so fingers crossed seepage is all healed and I can finally get in a shower, seems like forever 😊Loved the thought of Otters swim Mmmmmmmmmmmm x
Anadan what kind of surgery have you got planned???
Lesley do you finish rads on Monday???
I've got ECG booked for Friday to check the Herceptin isn't doing naughty things with my heart since I'm between jab 6 and 7. Are any of you ladies still on Herceptin? Can't remember.
If I get a full shower tomorrow I might bring back Champagne Thursday, I'll toast you all x
Much much love ❤️ x❤️x❤️

Anadan sending huge hugs 🤗🤗🤗

I don't think I can add a lot to what the lovely ladies have said already. I agree that the waiting is the hardest part not knowing what you will look like and whether you will like or even cope with what you look like.

I was more nervous before my lumpectomy thank my MX, as I knew the MX was to take everything away and give me the best chance, and that still being able to have a boob that looked something like me was a bonus.

4 weeks on I may be swollen but I'm happy with the procedure I had, I am sure you will be too.

We've all been through so much we are allowed to be emotional, it is an extremely emotional experience. You've been through so much but as you go through each step you get closer to the end, and you will make it.

💕💕💕💕

Anadan sending you big hugs 🤗🤗🤗🤗

Although I only had a lumpectomy they took over 5 cm so had one large boob and a very small one so very loopsided but I know I was really scared before surgery even at last minute i wasn't sure if not having a Mx was the right choice but I know when I woke up I had a peak then as soon as I could I'm sure it help me come to terms with the new me. I was given a small softer to try and even up my boobs but I've decided not to both and just go with it I've also been offered reduction

to unaffected boob but don't want to go through another operation so people will just have to take me as I am 😌😌

We will all be holding your hand and thinking of you 😘😘😘

Oh Anadan - I just want to give you a huge cuddle 🤗
I had a single mx last year and had a look at my new breast as soon as I could, with dressings on and then daily. I wanted to be comfortable with the new me. I wasn't give a softee/comfee for a few weeks and then I was given a prosthesis about 8 weeks after my op. I wore it for a few weeks and then decided just to wear my normal bra as I found the prosthesis hot & uncomfortable, so what if I'm lopsided this is me, this is who I am. I'm comfortable with my new breast (i have an implant) and will, at some stage, have reduction or something on my good breast.
Please try and not worry too much - I found the chemo much harder than my op & you've done that!! As the others have said we're here for you with out stretched arms for that hug or hands to hold if you'd prefer 🤗🖑🖐

AK good luck for tomorrow 🤗

Xxx

Lesley, I'm home safe and sound! I had a little detour in Rochester first as YD wanted me to look in the material shop whilst I was there as she wants to make me a cushion! It was so lovely meeting you and having a good old chat! Smiley Happy xx 

Anadan - sending huge big bear hugs your way - as AK says, you are in the hardest place at the moment, waiting for it all and not really knowing how you are going to feel and deal with the changes in your body.  But think of what you have already come thru, you have fought (literally) your way to here and you can get this nailed as well.  And if you weren't emotional and worried about it then probably that would be more alarming.  All the emotions you are feeling are normal ..... or as normal as they can be for anyone hanging around with us lot!!  

We are all here for you and always will be.

I am in admiration for all you MX ladies, I know pre-surgery I was all very gung-ho about having a mx but if it had come down to it, I really don't know how I would have reacted.   You are all an inspiration to me 

xx

🤗💕

Don't panic Bythesea, I am sure you will be fine.  

But the soreness, redness and any 'reaction' can come out upto 3weeks after the end of rads and can reach a peak 2 weeks after.

I am sure it is all worst case scenario - and probably doesn't happen that often - they are covering themselves.

Do you know how many you are having?  Any targeted? etc

Oh Anadan, I am so sorry you're feeling emotional, but know that it is entirely normal and understandable. I have had some real wobbles and also, strangely, some zen moments. The emotions can really catch us unawares, can't they? 

I think the anticpation of surgery and what I would feel afterwards was much worse than the experience of the operation and aftermath to date. So, I would say you are in the hardest part of the process - still low and vulnerable after chemo AND anticipating something really anxiety-provoking. 

I did look down immediately after I got back from recovery and it wasn't too dreadful. On the day before, I was showering and getting dressed and got tearful thinking it was the last time I would see myself 'in tact'. However, since then, I have managed to accept it because I suppose I see it as giving me the best chance. That doesn't take away the emotions but I have found it easier to manage than I feared. When I undress, I do look at my chest in the mirror to try to get used to it and so far, that is bearable. I am aware that I still have dressings covering the wound/scars until tomorrow, so it will be another milestone to see myself 'uncovered'. I think it is likely that sometimes I will find it harder than others, but mostly I am managing much better than I would have expected. I don't bother much with my comfies or knitted knockers so far because I would rather be comfortable and I am not out and about a great deal yet (it is only day 8 post-surgery) but when I have worn them, it has seemed pretty normal once I have my clothes on. 

Does that help? I am around to talk more about any aspect of surgery, bilateral Mx, node clearance, recovery or anything that might be helpful. You are not alone and I promise we will always respond to one of the best of our November team!  Sending love. xx 

Eeek! What can happen two weeks after???
If I can shift the fluid and stay on track I should be off to the alps two weeks after rads!!! Accommodation booked 😳

Well done Otter with the swimming - you are having a really adventurous week.  Your confidence must be thru the roof!

Had my rad review meeting today - could be re-badged as 'how to frighten a patient'.  Info on what could happen in the two weeks after rads finish and how sore and painful you will become! Fan bloody tastic!!

In other news had a fab catch up with Jencat - it's so lovely to talk to someone who already knows what you are talking about and gets it!!   Thanks again .... hope you got home safe

xx

AK, did you have a look at yourself straight after the op? I worry Smiley Sad is it easy to accept it? I'm sorry if this is too much to ask 💞
At times I feel so annoyed, as we have already experienced so much, but it seems never ending and there's always something new creeping up; I've been crying a lot lately, and I can't even say why... I guess it is all getting me emotionally, being knackered after 10 minutes activity, having to ask for help, not knowing what's ahead of me ... I know, I know, overthinking ... It gets me sometimes ..

Thank you for listening 💞💞💞💞

AK hope you're appointment goes ok tomorrow

The only swelling I have is my knees at the moment which are also painful so prevention me excercise too much so took the plunge today and went swimming 🏊🏊🏊🏊for the first time in years managed 10 lengths of the pool 😌😌😌 now time for a💤💤💤💤 before lunch and maybe a walk if rain keeps off

Boobs a bit itchy after but had a shower and moistureisers after so hopefully chloride want affect it too much

Lesley hope yours isn't too bad you must nearly be finished

Hope you all have a good Wednesday

Hello everyone, I too have terrible nails. I have kept them varnished and treated with oil throughout but had to remove it for the operation last week and they looked awful - yellow, ridged, some random dark mottles. Horrid. One of the first things I did when I got back was treat and varnish again! Daft, but it makes me feel more like me. Keeping them short and tidy to try to avoid lifting - we’ll see.

I am in a predictable AK tizzy about pathology results tomorrow. Thanks Lesley for your sensible words (as always) which I am hanging on to as I approach the appointment. I am expecting that the surgeon may need to wield a drain too as I am pretty swollen, especially on the side of the axillary clearance (swollen seems to be a theme for us all at the moment) which doesn’t thrill me either.

wishing you all a happy a mid-week moment or several. Xx

Morning from a bright but chilly north London

Otter I am so proud of you going wigless 🖒🤗

Anadan I have ridges halfway up my nails and am moisturising them daily with nail oil and keeping them filed short. I tried nail varnish on them but they looked terrible. So far I've lost 3 toe nails ...
My feet were constantly cold but it has worn off and I only occasionally suffer now and I'm getting numb right arm too. My mx was on my left. Hopefully your symptoms will ease over the next few weeks

Lesley good luck with your continued rads & well done on losing half a stone. Enjoy meeting up with Jencat

AK, HF, Carole, fmb, Bythesea and anyone I've missed wishing you all well wherever you are on your journey.

Xxx

Otter well done on getting back into the office and wigless too - that’s quite an achievement!! You shouldn’t underestimate it! 🌟 🥇

I’m incredibly lopsided - the rads are having a swelling effect too Carole - you’re not alone .... although the thought of cabbage leaves made me chuckle .... is there no end to the torture????

In other news .... I’ve lost half a stone since starting rads and my determined push to lose the weight .... although meeting Jencat at Patisserie Valerie this morning might just undo it all ..... but YOLO!! 🍰🍰🍰

Clear blue skies in Kent if a little nippy ... happy Wednesday everyone

Xxx

Thanks to everyone for your support 🤗🤗🤗😘😘😘

The Met the New Team - Cancer awareness meeting at work went well and I turned up wig less 😱😱😱😱😱 I then went up to the office to see were I will be sitting and caught up with some of the old crew and I felt they all accepted the New me 😌😌 so hopefully the 8th want be too scary

My nails look like that too my little finger looks like it may lift and toes are a mess but at less I can hide them

Hope everyone is doing ok and resting when you can I'm going to have a nap as I suddenly feel very tired after my big morning out🙃🙃🙃🙃💤💤💤💤

Wow ladies I have a few days away and loads is happening.

Firstly well done to those who are going wig / hatless my head is not quite ready for that yet. One of my markers is that I have a scar on the crown of my head from where I cut it open when I was 5 years old - this is the first time the scar has been visible and when it is no longer visible I will go wig / hatless - at least then I know I have good coverage.

And well done Lesley to your son and to you too, it sounds like you did your own mini marathon. Congratulations!

Otter I too go back to work on the 8th May having been out of the office since mid November. Feeling apprehensive too even though I have been working from home through out treatment. I also have an hour and 20 min commute each way, which is another thing I am not looking forward too, but it wont be for long as the company I work for is shutting down the facility at the end of June, something I found out just before Christmas but have been expecting for a few years or so, so no biggy. 

I too have funny nails, 2 have white ridges, it was 3 orginally but that was my little finger one that jumped ship. The others are yellowy a bit like a heavy smokers snails - nice!

I also still have my fluid boob that isn't painfull but just feels too big - a bit like when you start breast feeding and your boobs swell with milk.  I was years ago recomended cabbage leaves for that was wondering if that would work now!

Hope the other surgery ladies are recovering well and haveing no more set backs.

Happy cloudy Monday !