cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: November 2017 Chemo Starters

Good to hear you're feeling better, keep chilling and taking it easy. And enjoy strictly 😃 xx

just wanted to check in to say, I'm feeling a lot better - really tired, but I've done bugger all day.

Fatigue wall!!

No steroids tomorrow so I will be being kind to myself

thanks for your support everyone

fingers crossed for the right strictly result!!

xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

😘😘take it steady Lesley, you’ll be fine lovely, listen to your body and the help line is there 24/7 don’t be shy in using it😘😘💕💕✨✨shi xx

thanks shi, I have your voice in my head at times like this, the last place I want to end up is in hospital over the weekend!!

pee is good, I think it might be a sugar low more than anything, just had some ginger nuts and definitely feeling better.

Thats the problem with sleeping it stops you doing the other stuff.

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Just watch everything Lesley as things can be happening even without raised temp, I’m not scaremongering it’s just I have the tshirt for it being something even without raised temp which landed me in casa nhs for 6 days on my first fec, please just watch any dizzyness or burning pee, please don’t take any chances. I’d rather phone about everything than leave it. 😘😘love you shi xx

Thanks Moma-Shi .... temp is ok 37.0 and I generally tick over at 36.8/9 anyway.

Looking at my diary last time I was pretty wacked out with fatigue on the sunday and monday, so perhaps to be expected.

The nausea I am surprised about though ..... I thought if I got this far I would get away with it .... but clearly not.

I will keep monitoring, I dont want to sleep too much, as I might not sleep tonight and also cant drink whilst I'm asleep!!

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Lesley try and keep your fluids up, also watch temp under 35.5 or over 37.5, if you feel dizzy or just unwell, phone rapid response, it’s not like usual when you just feel out of sorts this bar steward journey, you just have to get everything checked, non of us like to make a fuss over what we consider nothing, but this is not a normal situation for you this bit of the journey, you have to be super vigilant. I’m not being a crazy scaremonger here, just want to make sure you look after yourself lovely and in the grand scheme of things a quick call to the unit to make double sure se is normal is better than leaving it. 😘😘love you shi xx

morning (just) all!!

bit of a weird one for me I think.....

woke up at 6 after a good sleep, got up and made a brew, went back to bed, prompty threw brew back up!!

I managed to get another drink and some toast down and then took all my meds.

Then promptly fell back asleep at around 9 until just now.

Very vivid and scarey dreams

I can feel my nausea building again and dont think I will be having the shower and walk I was intending, more like staying in pjs and drifting from bed to sofa ......... I have hit the fatigue wall ...... well and truly.

feel a bit shaky as well.

Got to skype the parents now - that wont last long - but they'll worry otherwise

Happy Sunday everyone 🤢

xx

A mixture of chemo support and Strictly - I love this thread. 

I had never heard of Joe before, but he has maybe become my favourite, although he does wear weird training clothes. I like progress and he seems kind. Those tick my Strictly support buttons! There is no one I really dislike left though, so I am pretty easy about what happens next. In the count my blessings moments, I seriously am grateful that I had to go through diagnosis/chemotherapy when Strictly is on the TV. It is as valuable as my Movicol, steroids, sickness bands and ginger and lemon tea.

Day 3 post-cycle 2 and not so bad. Exhaustion is lifting, slept better (those things may be related) and managed to exercise this morning. Off for a walk along the river this afternoon before collecting daughter from her first holiday job as a Christmas Tree Sales Elf - the laughs from seeing her do that will make the day easier! Then it'll be snuggling down for the results show and if I can hang on, Howards End. 

How is everyone else doing today? Fog lifting? So hope wherever you are, you all have a good and healing day. xx

Can't stand joe! It's those wife beater vests he wears in training! Gives me the boke!!!
I'm away to steal logs today to make my Christmas garden display. Sooooo exciting x. I had my work night out on Friday night. First time ever I've left early :0( but lady last week when I was having cocktail recommended First defence or boots equivalent. You squirt it up your nose and it catches colds and flus and kills them before you catch it. Perfect if your out in busy places over Christmas xxx

Knew I'd seen him in something before Holby, I think quite a few of us are of an age 😄
Miserable here too trying to decide to brave the elements and watched my son play rugby 🤔

Morning  - happy Sunday 😊,  not so bright here today & yes I agree vote  for Joe. He has such a gorgeous smile 😁💕💃 xx

Yeah Mollie or Gemma definitely vote for Joe 😘😘liked him every since he was in Heartbeat 😘😘😘😘( showing my age again 😊)

Think it should be Mollie, started voting for Joe 😜
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Think Shirley fancies molly, how could she vote anton and janette our after that brilliant troll routine? Can’t complain moment on I’m a celeb as I’ve been asleep by the time that’s come on 😚😚😚💕💕✨✨shi xx

Think it could be mollie or Gemma who were at risk this time!
Quite surprised shappi was first to go last night .. she’s normally very entertaining, but either she’s been really boring in there or the editor isn’t her number 1 fan!!

Hi Sam, do you have a 24 hr number to call? I'd call them as they can look up your records and maybe explain to you what the problem is and allay your fears. As Sue, said they do check liver and kidney function as I think the chemo can affect these. Hopefully it will be nothing to worry about, I think the liver is one of the organs that can regenerate. 

Lesley, glad you're doing much better this round. Enjoy that chocolate!

Glad you november ladies are doing ok. Strictly tonight 💃🕺🏻💃🕺🏻💃🕺🏻💃💃👯‍♂️👯‍♂️👯💃🕺🏻💃👯💃🕺🏻👯‍♂️

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi November ladies, just sending you all love and hugs and hope you are all doing ok 😘😘💕💕✨✨put Christmas decks up yesterday, more sparkles ✨✨✨💕💕shi xx

glad you are back on track JC!

I can't quite believe it but I've just been to the tip and a quick trip round sainsburys to pick up all the things I am craving!  A very odd basket I will have you know!!

All on day 3 ...... I only just managed to get out of my pit for a few hours on chemo 1.

But I am going to hit the sofa now with some box sheets and all the chocolate I have just bought.

Sam - let us know how you get on - thinking of you 

hugs to all

xx

Happy Saturday 😊

Phew!! Now feeling back in the land of the living!!! I really struggled days 6-9 with fatigue - my body wasn't my own. If felt as if I had been hit by a steam train.  But it's Christmas  decoration  day here today, so I shall be supervising!!! I think part of the fatigue problem for me was that I had gone off water, I struggled to find a drink I enjoyed  and I didn't get out for my daily walks (vicious circle of feeling tired, plus it was cold).

Lesley, you look absolutely  fab in your wig.  Hope you're  doing ok after Thursday 🤗💕

Otter, brilliant news about you job. A huge relief for you 🤗💕 my taste has gone weird too, not fancying my morning cuppa. Last night I had some warm ginger wine - now I sound like my aunt,  but I really  enjoyed it 😋

Sam, do you have a 24 hour contact number,  they may be able to help ease your worries, or tell you who to contact. Take care of yourself  🤗💕

Regarding hollow tummy, I found for the first few days after chemo  I nibbled on ritz crackers.  Also wearing the travel sickness bands seems to help. 

Elora, enjoy your good days,  I try and have something planned as I like having something to look forward to. Dinner at a french bistro with friends next time,  center parcs Woburn for a few days over new year (not that I'll be doing a lot  but it will give the family a chance to unwind  & I can take in the scenery). Good luck for next week 👍🤗

Bythesea,  hope all went well for you with the OH and they were understating and compassionate about your situation 🤗

And to all the other lovely ladies on our thread, AnnaKarenina, Meesh, Sue, Poppywheel,  Ruth, Shi , sending you all 🤗. 

Enjoy your weekend everyone 

Xxx       🤗🤗🤗💕🌟💫

Sam sounds as if you have been thru the ringer!
Something was picked up on my liver on my body scans pre chemo.
They ‘think’ it’s sonething I’ve always had and not related to BC, I will have another scan at the end of chemo .... if no change then I’ve always had it and no worries, if it’s changed then it’s up to Kings for them to deal with!!
I’ve put it to the back of my mind - if they thought it was ‘sinister’ they would be doing more about it!!
Can you contact your Breast care nurse and flag all this to her.... if it is related she can get it fast tracked and if it’s not she can put your mind at rest??

Sam

Please don’t assume the worse
With our regular blood tests they usually check liver and kidney function (I never knew blood was so clever)
If you have any concerns please call your onco/chemo team rather than worry they should be able to advise you x

Otter is it definitely the tea?
round 1 and 2 I found it was the milk so switched to coffee mate (not in tea though in coffee ) so maybe black tea might be worth a try xx

Hello I was taken into hospital last Monday 4 days after chemo due to catching a sickness bug that half of my family had,while there my heart rate was 130 but did drop after a while,I was constantly being sick due to the bug..it lasted 7days..Doctor said I was fine to go home after 6hrs but said my liver bloods were high? This was the case last time after 1st case of chemo so my chemo drug was reduced by 20% but no the doctor from the hospital has referred me to have a ultrasound for my liver? Any1 has this I'm so worried they think the cancer has spread but not said! Not sure if my oncologist knows I've been sent for this ultrasound as it was the hospital doctor that has done it!

Just feeling abit worried,I've just been coming round to haveing BC and getting on with chemo n life!

I'm having 4th cycle next Thursday

Thanks sam xx

Morning ladies

My taste is definitely off can't even drink a cup of tea first thing in morning have to have hot ribenena🍑

Otherwise mainly savoury stuff cake and biscuits so I will be the size of a 🏠 as with FM my energy levels are very low

😥

Morning Anna meesh and Lesley

You are all early risers too x
Wishing you all a fab day
Lesley on October post I kept asking if people was getting a horrible smell and although it’s 💩 I feel a little reassurance that it’s not just me though fortunately from day 6 cycle 3 FEC the smell has pretty much gone

Hope you have a great day ladies x

Morning all
Good nights sleep for me, waking up to no nausea was a Brucie Bonus!!
So far (touching wood) I’ve felt so much better, more a feeling of jet lag rather than having run into a brick wall, but days 3/4 were worse last time so we’ll have to see what today brings.
I’ve definitely eaten more this time, but that’s coz I’ve got the nausea sorted
I lost 4lbs on round 1.
I think my body has dealt with the chemo better this time, my pee stopped being pink quicker this time and I can’t ‘smell’ or ‘taste’ the chemo on me?? Sorry if that sounds weird .... last time if I licked my fingers after a biscuit etc it tasted awful and everything I wore smelt awful ..... not got that this time ..... unless I have got used to it!!!

Hi annakarenina, I've not suffered really with fatigue yet 🤞🏻the yoga is keeping it at bay at the moment. Although I have felt a bit more tired the last few days, not sure if that's due to going into work. I've found my taste buds are ok so far. I can't even think about food I eat on chemo day until about now on the cycle (I'm on day 19 and due to have fec 4 on Tuesday). I also couldn't eat anything sweet on after chemo 1 but after chemo 2 had bad cravings for biscuits and cake. This round has been crisps, nuts and savoury stuff. I've tried to limit the sweet stuff thus round and tried to eat a bit more healthily as last cycle I put 4lb on. I think this cycle  I've limited it to 1 lb but I'll end up the size of a 🏡 if I carry on like this! 

How is everyone this morning? I am amazed and disconcerted by the way exhaustion hit me like a train yesterday afternoon/evening. I was tired post cycle 1 but nothing so dramatic or instant. I am fine this morning after some sleep (still waking early alas) - we'll see what happens later. Can't miss Strictly tonight!

No hollow stomach feeling for me, but definitely get nausea if I don't nibble on something regularly which isn't great when I am less active than usual and struggle with my weight. I am trying to keep on exercising and make the nibbling healthy, but I do seem to crave carbs/salty flavours. Taste buds are weird - stuff I usually love is like cardboard but I can't get enough of pineapple, apricot wheats, salted quinoa crisps, cherry tomatoes and rhubarb. What floats your food boat at the moment? xx 

Yeah me too 🤔1 more FEC then after Xmas the joys of T 

Sweet dreams all 😘😘🤗🤗🤗

It’s alright for some chaffinch .... I’ll just be getting the hang of FEC and they go and change it to T!! 😂😂😂
I really can’t believe the difference from 1 and 2 - what a difference 3 tiny little tablets make!!

Sweet dreams all xx

I was also told to pretty much take as required and I think it helped to shorten the empty nausea phase last time. I’m hoping by the time I’ve had my 6 FEC I might have got the balance right 🙄

Hi Otter, I had Metoclopramide for chemo 1 but they replaced it for chemo 2, my unit thinks of it as a 'starter' anti-emetic as its quite a gentle option - and they advise you to take it as required - cant be any harm trying it!!

Hi thanks I've got Metoclopramide but haven't really taken much do you think it might help otherwise if I keep eating I be the size of a 🏠

Yes I have had this after day 4 ish feels just like when I had morning sickness when pregnant. I find eating little and often helps, a handful of almonds helps. I suffered less this cycle because I had more anti sickness meds and topped up with metaclopramide.

Otter have you got sea bands if so put them on might be worth a try x

Hi

Thanks I'm day 9 and had it a few days wondered if it was as I was no longer taking anti sickness meds 

🙃

Otter, I think chaffinch mentioned the hollow feeling in her tummy, perhaps she'll be along later to help you out. I usually get a jittery/ shakey feeling in the mornings of days 6-8 onc said that was normal.

Otter I diont get what you describe as such but do find if I eat carbs it’s stops any kind of ‘funny’ feeling in my tummy x
Just a few mouthfuls of pasta or rice or a crumpet or slice of bread helps x
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Otter, jump on our Oct thread and ask about tummy, someone might be able to help 😘😘💕💕✨✨shi xx

No Otter not had that either, but I do wake up every morning really hungry 😃

No not had that one otter!

Hi

Silly question but does anyone get a funny hollow feeling in my stomach not sure if it's just hungry but still get it after I've eaten 🤔

Great to hear that everyone is doing okay after chemo 2.
Hope you all have a good 1st December. I am making the most of my good days before round 2 next week, so off with a friend for a walk in the winter sun and lunch out.
Stay warm, drink loads and look after yourselves

Meesh 

I think it depends organisation to organisation for phased returns.

I've seen where it's not recorded as anything, to being classed as annual leave, and if you dont have the leave then you have to take it unpaid.... which is a bit of a bummer Smiley Sad

If you do work shorter hours the rest would go down as sick I think. My employer said if I wasn't well enough to work full time through chemo I could go down to 20 hours (it was called something but can't remember what) and the rest would be sick leave.

Hi Bythesea, I would echo Lesley and otter's comments. I had to the interview for the job I've been doing since January a week after chemo 1. I was immediately suspicious that they didn't want to promote me because of the bc and it's easy to jump to conclusions. But remember that as otter says you can't be discriminated against because of the bc. I got my promotion which I thought funny as now if I go off long term sick they have to pay me more money! I haven't had to see OH but do know as a line manager that it is probably to see how your employer can best help you. Are you working during chemo? If you are it could be that they may  support a suggestion that you work shorter hours or that you can work from home some days. In addition to phasing you back to work longer term after treatment. 

Also your employer are meant to take any recommendations OH suggest into consideration and don't forget as we have this lovely C we are protected in law

They can't get rid of you if the decision is related to Cancer 

sorry meant to say

as Otter says they can be really helpful around phased returns, if they say it has to be done that way, then thats how it happens.

when do you go in to see them?

Bythesea - I've had lots of dealings with Occy Health, from both sides of the table.

As someone referred to them, I found them supportive and kind - they listened to what was going on and made suggestions and came down on my side.

From a line managers view point, I would always say they are on the side of the 'patient', although when challenged they say they are impartial.

This was over a couple of organisations so wasnt just one team.

dont worry - it's not as if you are blagging it - give them the baldy look and they will shut up!!