cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: November 2017 Chemo Starters

Lesley what were you told about rads and sun I was told to keep that side out if the sun for a year, and like you I am a sun worshiper too x

Carole - that’s great .... I had lost 11lbs, but put 2 back on over the last 2 days ... but that was expected ... I was very badly behaved!!

Lovely sunny day here so I’m going to try and gets some gentle rays ... slowly reintroduce my skin to the sunshine!

Anadan - hope you are ok and on the right side of your op now.

Take cate everyone xx

Another sunny day here and a day to be positive and up beat 😊

First positive of the day is that I have now lost 8lbs and only have 6lbs to go to be back to pre-chemo weight, so may treat myself to cake today 🍰🍰

Have a lovely day ladies you all deserve it 💕💕💕

Carole - so sorry you are having such a rotten time of it at the mo - sending love and hugs to you and your family

xx

Well done JC on both counts, must admit I forgot about your port ... assumed it was long gone!

Good advice AK - yes changed rooms and it was bright and sparkly clean.
Home again now and knackered!!

Anadan - how are you

Xx

Just a quick message - saw my consultant today for mammogram results. All clear - whoop whoop 🎉🎉 just happened to ask if my port would set off airport security & here I am in hospital waiting to go & have my port removed under sedation!! They are fitting me in at the end 😕

Xxx

Hello everyone,

FMB, of course I don’t mind you asking: the seroma started as soft, fluid-filled ‘gatherings’ on each side, but more pronounced on the side of the axilliary clearance. Initially, everyone said it was common and as long as it didn’t restrict my mobility or become red/hard, they would prefer not to aspirate or do anything as it would be reabsorbed naturally. I am afraid it continued to grow on the right side, although the left has become much smaller and is almost gone now. No one could say how long it would take to settle, so I resolved to be patient. I was advised compression and my exercises would help. I did both, but saw no difference, if anything, it was getting bigger. I first noticed it hardening and becoming hotter over the weekend, but it was so hot I just thought it was the weather combined with the hideous compression bra. 

I really knew there was an issue when I saw it on Tuesday evening after I got home from work. It was shiny, the skin was stretched, there were large patches of redness and it felt much hotter and harder than before. Previously, I’d been able to see the fluid moving and move it about easily with my fingers, but it was now pretty inflexible and the fluid was static. 

I don’t know if that description helps at all. I think I have learned it is well worth seeking advice if you’re unsure. They were very happy to review me and it turns out it was absolutely the right thing to do given the infection. Even if there had been no infection though, much better (as Shi and Lesley have wisely said) to err on the side of caution. Is it uncomfortable for you in terms of pain, sleep etc? I do hope not, but if it is, I promise they can help with that too. And speaking as a woman who googled Mx healing before getting advice, choose surgeons over search engines!

Carole, I am so sorry about the wretched machine malfunction, especially given the rollercoaster you’ve had with rads as an unexpected step. I really hope you can make progress next week.

Lesley, eww, that bed situation sounds horrid and I completely understand your reaction. Hope you got a clean and good night’s rest and aren’t too exhausted after your day.

Otter, how is the work situation going? I have been back today and at the moment, it is wonderful, but I know the novelty will wear off...

Anadan, still thinking of you and hoping all is well. 

Love to all. Xx

All I can say today is aarrhh.

Been for rads planning and now home but achieved nothing as the CT scanner has overheated and they cannot fix it. New appointment made for Tuesday next week with start date planned for 29th May.

fmb I don't know how helpful I can be as I was told three week post surgery that all was good, even had it in writing, to then be told 2 weeks after that, that all wasn't good and that there was a trace in the removed tissue. I am sure you will be fine but try and remain patient, I wouldn't want you to go through the rollercoaster of emotions me and my family went through. Even today's problem has neatly pushed my other half over the edge.

Well time to turn in the laptop and see what the work world is up to.

Positive vibes to all on this lovely sunny day.

Xx

Hi Carole, I hope the rads appointment goes well. X
Can I please ask how long it took for your mx results? Its been over 3 weeks since my op and I'm worried about the results (clear margins or not!)

Hi Lesley 😀 I'm so glad they moved u, its disgusting that the sheets weren't clean...yuck!!!

Hi Otter, hows work going? I hope you are easing back gently.
Just curious, r u doing a phased return to work?

Hi AK, thanks for posting about ur experience, it really helps others!! After all that u have been thru, u r no wuss xx

Can I please ask how the seroma felt?. I had my single mx 3 weeks ago and I have a soft swelling above the reconstruction boob which I have had since day 4 after op, I'm massaging but it remains. Also discoved 3 days ago a hard lump under boob close to chest wall which i think might be fat necrosis...according to Dr. Google...😂😂

Big hugs Anadan, thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery. Xx

How’s everyone doing this morning??

Bythesea did your colour arrive? Pics???

xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Eeeewwwwwwe Lesley 😘😘😘glad you’ve got another room, that’s shocking. Anadan ❤️❤️❤️For you lovely hope you get some rest 😘😘annakarenina, thank goodness you got yourself checked over 💕💕😘😘😘💕💕💕I’m so glad you are safe, I do feel like bashing you over the head with my handbag though for trying to soldier through it when you should be treating yourself like a little kitten for now 💕💕❤️❤️❤️The safer you heal yourself and give things time to heal and not overdo it, the quicker you’ll be 🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️🤺🤺🤺🤺fit again. I do love you all so very much 💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

AK, definitely not a wuss, but as otter says we all try to soldier on and hope things will clear up on their own .... we all need to push the button a bit earlier.

My early start isn’t hurting too much at the mo .... but just checked into my hotel - a well known brand - to find the linen on my bed was not clean ... a one night stay that had obviously just been made up again. Fortunately the staff were brilliant l, very apologetic and changed me to another room ..... but it’s really unsettled me ... I’ve still got open wounds (covered with dressings) and I don’t want some strangers lergy in them!! Strong email to customer services on the cards!!

Anadan, hope you are ok, let us know when you can.

Love to all

Xx

Oh Anadan sending you hugs 🤗🤗🤗🤗😘😘😘😘

AK hope you are feeling better and no you are not a wuss when I had a wound infection and seroma I ignored it for a few days as was just hoping it would get better but in end needed two lots of antibiotics and cream to heal it

Hope everyone else is ok

Oh ladies what are we like, we seem to have more misfortune now that chemo is over.
Firstly anadan big hugs and lots of love I hope all is well soon. Take care and let us know how you are when you are good and ready.
And Annakarenina you are no wuss or fool, so pleased you have been sorted out and that you are feeling better already.
I still have swelling that needs time to settle down, but no redness or heat. And tomorrow I'll have another pair of eyes to look at it as I have my rads planning appointment, don't have a start date but hoping it will be sooner than later.
On my way home from work so that's me done on the commuter front for this week and tomorrow will be logging in at home and I don't work Friday's anyway, so lovely short week.
Here's hoping we have no more blips on our treatment, recovery plans 💕💕💕

Anadan, I am so sorry - you deserve so much better. I hope you have been well-looked after and when you wake up and read this message you know how much you are loved by the November team. When you're ready, let us know how you're doing, but in the meantime, know we're thinking of you. 

I have just posted in the surgery thread about my lessons learned over the last few days with my seroma. As I mentioned yesterday, I returned to work and all seemed well apart from the enormous fluid monster that had taken up residence on my chest and under my arm. 

Over the bank holiday weekend, I noticed hardening, increased swelling, growing heat, redness and discomfort. I minimised and denied the symptoms, partly because, as you all know, I hate needles and didn't want a large one inserted into my post-surgical chest. Last night, it was impossible to ignore and realising that the risk of sepsis was worse than the potential needle, I rang the hospital who got me antibiotics straight away from an out of hours GP and asked me to come in this morning for surgical review.

I am just back and here to tell you that I am an idiot. Partly for ignoring the growing monster seroma with bonus infection and partly for being so scared of the aspiration/draining.1250 ml of yucky fluid later, I am a new woman, clutching my Flucloxacillin and grateful to the patient, gentle and skilled surgeons who would have been entitled to say 'what is wrong with you woman?' but instead let me hold their hands during a painless procedure which I undoubtedly needed as the infection was spreading and the scar was under strain. 

When will I learn? Do I get the prize for the biggest wuss/fool in the November team? 

How is everyone else doing? Tell me your news! xx

Sorry to hear that Anadan - sending you lots of love and hugs. Wishing you well xxx 🤗💕🤗💕🤗💕

oh bless you anadan - lots of love and healing thoughts 

xx

Going back to theatre, ladies Smiley Sad internal bleeding Smiley Sad

Bythesea - loving the photo, you look so wrapped up whilst we've been enjoying the ☉. Is that snow behind you 🙊
Otter - I've been thinking about you all today. Phew!!! Day 1 done, well done 🤗
Carole - I just want to send you & your family a huge hug 🤗, hang in there. I can't even begin to imagine how you all feel but know that we are all here by your side & I think you need those gold hot pants!! Hope today went well for you too
Anadan hugs for you too, hope all went well 🤗, perhaps a photo of the new pj bottoms ? It's ok on our side, we'll be waiting for you
Lesley - I can't imagine why you would be in the naughty corner 😉

Sending love & hugs to all - wishing you all a good rest of the week xxx
🤗😗💕

Glad to hear that the returners have got on well today - rest up both of you.... as with treatment, getting back into the swing of things is a marathon and not a sprint ..... I really should pay attention to my own advice at times 😀

LGFB session was fab - a really good bunch of ladies, the youngest of which was only 20 - bless her!  I ended up in the naughty corner..... not sure how that happened, so had a really good laugh with a few girls and we went on to a coffee shop to continue the bad behaviour!  I have been invited to join their 'Breast Friends' group!

Goodie bag was good, some lovely products and a lot of what I already use so it will save me having to buy replacements for my own stuff!

Early start for me in the morning, heading north to regroup on my activities over the next 6 months, so 0515 train beckons!  Early night for me!!

xx

Finally on my train home was intending to leave sooner but trying to sort my rads out, hopefully being measured up Friday. Not sure when treatment will start.
It was good being back even if it will only be for a short while everyone was really lovely, lots of hugging 🤗

Hope you are feeling less stressed now Otter, and anadan hope all is good too 💕💕💕

Hello everyone, I have been away for a few days recuperating post-surgery and there is much to catch up on. I too am back at work (amazing to think that three weeks ago I was under anaesthetic having a bilateral Mx/node clearance) and managing well. I hope other returns have gone well.

Anadan, thinking of you and hoping by now you are sitting up with tea and toast. Remember we are all here to listen when you want to talk.

I am struggling with a seroma, but otherwise doing well and am pleased with mobility and energy levels. I really was itching to get back to doing something by last week. The seroma makes me indignant - it is a bit much to have a double Mx and end up with a breast-sized accumulation under your arm pit! It may be going down now, although that could be wishful thinking...

Lovely to hear everyone else's news and wishing you all well, as ever. x

Well done Otter, just do the same tomorrow and it will nearly be Friday x💕
Lesley hope LGFB course hasn't been a disappointment and you look fabulous 💕
Hope you've survived your day too Carole 💕

Hi all

Survived first day 😱😱😱 feel very tired physical and mental just so hard not having my friends there 😞😞

Didn't really do much sorted new desk had several tea breaks then was time to go home newbies are a lot younger than me so will be a challenge but time will tell

Time for a nap not sure why all this is so hard 

Thanks Bythesea, still swollen but I think getting better, but told that it will take time and that I'm expecting too much for 6 weeks.
Have a good day too x

Good luck Carole to you and your foob. Is it still swollen? Mine has become my little side kick! Go knock em dead 💕❤️💕❤️💕

Carole and otter good luck - the first day is always going to be the worst.... but you can always message us for support 24/7 .... we are your support line!

Anadan - we will be waiting for you in recovery, you’ve got this! You are such a strong lady who’s dealt with so much already.... you just don’t how strong you really are!

Love and hugs to all

Xx

Thinking of you anadan as I take the train in, the other side is good, waiting for you there ❤

Good luck otter too fingers crossed for a good day.

Love hot commuter trains 😃 xx

You have a good day too💕❤️💕❤️💕

Otter, Carole, enjoy your first day back at work xx

Thank you ladies for your support 💖💖

Have a good day every one 💖

Good luck Otter in the madhouse!
Hope you find the new starts competent and fun. If it's rubbish you don't have to stay all day 😬
Go in, have a cup of tea and it will nearly be time to come home. Good luck xxx

Good luck Anadan, we are all what's on the other side with endless love and support ❤️❤️❤️Xxx

Anadan

You will be find we are all holding your hand you can do this 😊😊😊😘😘😘

Good luck and big hugs 🤗🤗🤗🤗

Right that's me ready to go into the madhouse and see what awaits me

Hope you all have a good day and enjoy the 🌞🌞🌞😎😎😎👒👒👒🍦🍦🍦

Morning ladies xx
I'm booked in now and ready to parade in my new pyjama bottoms 😀 I'll speak to you soon when I'm on the other side x
P.s. I'm scared to death what's on the other side ...
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Bythesea 😘😘great photo and bear looks like the best hot water bottle poochie what a snuggle bun 😘😘 as you can see I’m animal 🤪🤪🤪 id be putty in his paws 🐾💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Bythesea you can’t have it all ..... luscious locks or sunny skies .... not both!!!
Seriously ... looking good .... and love the pooch!!

Xx

All this chatter about the sun!!!! 

Send some up here!, this is me and my baby bear at the weekend in Glencoe.

I cold capped so kept some hair although new growth is about a half inch and sticks up out my parting ha! Hair dye not arrived yet. Extreme blonde here I come x

Good luck Ladies going back to work. When I went back after my time off for surgeries I found it really upsetting. It was as if there wasn't a place for me anymore but three weeks in and it's almost back to normal, except I turn up late and leave early 😜

image.jpeg

Phased return is definitely the way forward I was trying to do a full day then coming home exhausted. Be kind to yourself ladies x

lesley, enjoy your LGFB course. 

Looking forward to lunchtime updates xxx

Yeah it will be like going back to school 😱just hope they play nicely

I agree with Lesley about time off for rads that's why my GP wouldn't let me go back for at least a month after I had completed all treatment and it's a watching brief if it's too much I will be off again

Oh bless him, hope he let the emotion out, these men can bottle things up.
Sounds like a plan re rads ... but just a heads up ... as I now know to my cost the SE can take up to 2weeks after the last tad to come out and another 2weeks to heal .... you might want to keep your time off fluid and see how you go??

And OH took the news harder than me I think loosing your dad to cancer less than 2 months ago followed by getting my diagnosis wrong was all too much

I'm thinking of taking the 3 weeks off so that if necessary I can rest and be braless without causing a stir 😄

You will have to give us a lunchtime update!
It must feel like the first day of a new school year .... you sort of know what to expect, but it’s all going to be different again.

Carole - meant to ask, will you take time off again for rads or will you try to work thru??

Xx

Thank you all as I know it might sound silly but it feels like I've been away forever and as so much has changed and my best friend has left as she couldn't stand it anymore I will be lost without her

I will only be doing 4 mornings a week for 8 - 12 weeks as GP doesn't want me to rush but was also on the understanding the new team was sorted but as that's all up in the air with 2 resigning I feel I'm going to be dropped in the deep end and I will sink the way I'm feeling at the moment 😞😞 I was looking forward to returning as I was assured I would be able to ease myself in but I guess I will have to wait an see what happens

It's to hot for me 26 in the shade but at least I can just put water on my head and it soon drys

😎😎😎👒👒👒🍦🍦🍦

Rants are allowed and encouraged Carole!
Good job your OH was with you. I’m planning to go to my next Onc and surgeon appts on my own, might have to rethink that one!!
The beautiful weather can’t make our anger/sadness go away .... I’ve had a few tears today but blamed it on hay fever so people don’t think I’m a wet blanket. If one more person tells me how well I’ve done, I think I’ll scream .... excelling at something you never wanted to do isn’t something for the CV!!

Hi Otter I will be holding your hand tomorrow as I return to work too, even though I have been logging in at home and having calls it will be my first time back in the office since early November.
Not sure how many weeks it will be as I have my rads to sort out now, and I am now feeling quite angry about being told verbally and in black and white that there was no disease detected and hence no need for further treatment to be told that wasn't correct. I think I am more angry about the way my OH and I were told than anything else. Sorry for the rant but I just want to scream very very loud and cry loads.
Sorry to be a misery on such a beautiful day, so big girl pants on and off to fight another round.
Hope everyone is enjoying the sun

This is why I need all you lovely ladies ..... here's me whinging about a few sores and you have got awful feelings in your arms etc etc etc..... Perspective is a wonderful tool.

Otter - are you going back on a phased approached or straight into it?  You need to be kind to yourself and be brave enough to say when enough is enough and you have reached your 'full' point.  Hopefully your colleagues will be sympathetic to the journey you have been on whilst you have been out of the office - they should be thinking, 'there by the Grace of God go I', but I am sure that some people think  they are invincible and it wont every happen to them!

We will all be holding your hand tomorrow as you step into work - you have a pink army behind you!! 

xx