cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

November 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: November 2017 Chemo Starters

I had a sentinel node biospy first - in and out as a day patient

then back in for full node clearance and lumpectomy.  Had the op at 5pm Friday, was good to go home 10am Saturday but took the sister (who didn't like me!) until 3pm Sat to do the paperwork.  DN came round on Sun/Mon/Tues, drain came out on the Tuesday which was my birthday!! great present. 

They need to see less than 100ml come away in a 24 hr period.

Tbh - I was desperate to get the drain gone, but in hindsight, I am glad I didn't push it, on the sunday it was literally on 95ml and the DN said it was up to me but she would prefer to leave it.  On the Mon I lost 150ml.  and then Tues it was down to 40ml.  If the drain had gone that would have stayed inside and needed to be re-absorbed.  So patience is a virtual with it.

But I will warn you I found the drain really uncomfortable.  More so than the surgery sites etc.  But I didn't realise that until I got it out!  I'll PM you a picture of mine if you want???

xx

Thank you. Think I'm getting same op as you. How long were you in for and how long before you could drive???

I'd take your own towels - even if the hospital provide them, they will be washed to death and not like your own, maybe some wet wipes as well if you dont feel like going to the bathroom for a freshen up??  I know when I was in, there was alway a queue for the showers and bathrooms.

I'd also take in a few favoured nibbles as well - the food can be a little off at times.  I know for brekky I just asked for cornflakes and they were the awful economy versions.  Phone and chargers so you can alert your visitors to bring in supplies of anything you have forgotten!

xx

Thank you. Hoping to be able to keep in touch. Its you ladies that make everything ok xxx. Down loaded silent witness and podcasts so good to go. Friends have cleared out the magazine shelves so I'll be able to keep you updated with celebrity gossip and slippers and pjs packed. Do the NHS supply towels??? Oh and a friend bought me a mini radio so I'm set! Just need not turned away for sniffles. Fingers and toes crossed xxx

Just got a call about the LGFB session - cancelled!  My estate is really bad and the kids are all about so the schools must be closed, but the main roads are fine!!  Annoying but better to be safe than sorry!

Looks like you are all organised - are you going to be able to keep in touch with us - you know we will worry!!

sending lots of positive theatre vibes your way - and doing an antishiffle dance πŸ’ƒ than Shi would be proud of!!

xx

Morning Lesley, hope you manage LGFB as its fab. You will love it x.
Admission at 4pm today. Op should be before lunch tomorrow and I am in till Friday. Maybe over weekend too to empty drain. Not that keen on district nurse coming to my home as in a small town everyone knows everyone and sometimes that's not a good thing !x. Op should go ahead if my tiny little cold can hide it's self! :0(

Are you still in for tomorrow Bythesea?

Morning or afternoon admission?  Op same day or next day?

How you feeling?

Sorry being super nosey - but just concerned, you're our surgery leader!!

xx

Well done Harryfiddler, root toot toot!!!xxx
Good luck today Anadan xxx. There's a root toot toot waiting on you too xxx.

Well done HF πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›Ž Ring that bell good and proper!

And well done for sticking with the cold cap all the way thru - I take my hat (wig) off to you!!  I didn't see anyone use it in the unit the whole way thru.  But mayby your climate lends it self more to it .... too bloody cold here to put anything colder on yourself!! 

Snowing really hard here, so glad I was at the hospital yesterday morning and not this morning! 

I am supposed to by at my LGFB session this afternoon - so I will await a phone call to say it's cancelled and rearranged, the sun to come out and melt it all, or to hit the road and try and make it there.  I have got a 4x4 so no real excuse, but as I have found out before, there is no point in a 4x4 if some one else has blocked the road!

Good luck to everyone today - keep ringing those bells - and AnnaKarenina, not long now and you will be doing the same - we will push you over the finishing line in two weeks time!!! xx

xx

Hi JF 

Well done 

πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””πŸŽ†πŸŽ†πŸŽ†πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

My eyes run as well inside or out with contact lens no fun

It's cold and sunny here no sign of snow but we don't get it very often 6 years ago was last time 😱

Keep warm everyone

πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜well done harry fiddler πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””

Goodbye cold cap, goodbye canula.

Runny eyes - tick. I've also lost most of my eyelashes now and was wondering the same thing. HF

Lesley, today I was told not to skip days while on the injections ... this is what happens when you see different consultants ... I hope I don’t have to skip the day again πŸ‘Š 

Hi Lesley

Well done on ringing πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””

I will send him the link and see what his reaction is πŸŽ†πŸŽ†πŸŽ†

Good luck to everyone else this week

πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜

It’s a great feeling, but I’m already thinking of the next stage!

You and HF will β€˜boss it’ as my son would say!!

Glad they are sorting your pain relief out. Are you doing alternate days with your injections?

Bythesea are you all confirmed for the 28th - how you feeling? How are the sniffles??
Xx

Well done Lesley πŸŽŠπŸŽˆπŸŽ‰ it must be a wonderful feeling xx

I’m in tomorrow, for no 6; happy me as  I don’t want any more delays, this time they have equipped me with the painkillers. I’ve even put on nearly 1kg 😜

I don’t have runny eyes, but I have a runny nose, water dripping constanly, esp when I’m out in the cold. But I’m enjoying this weather 😜 chilly mornings and single snowflakes here and there and I’m out with the dogs whenever I can. 

Have a nice evening, lovely ladies xx 

this popped up on my facebook and thought it might be useful for some of you ..... Otter could you slip this on to your boss's desk??

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/aboutus/news/latest_news/newtoolkithelpsemployerssupportpeoplewithcance...

xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜well done Lesley πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›Žbusy week for Nov 🎒😁😁😁 that’s lovely to see you all reaching the πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Hurrah and thrice hurrah Lesley. Such a brilliant moment. I bet it was emotional. The unit has been such a big part of our lives and those nurses have seen us through even when we doubted we could keep sitting in the dreaded chair. I hope the SEs are kind to you and you can feel the relief of chemo being DONE.

To everyone who is raring to go for the final time - you've got this and we'll be standing by to celebrate with you as you cross the line, arms aloft, in victory!

Harryfiddler, I have found Flat Friends in the UK really supportive in thinking about the no reconstruction choice. I also spoke to a wonderful woman via the Someone Like Me service who had decided not to take that option. Both helped me enormously. I am 99% certain about my decision, but will see what the surgeon says when I meet him on 6th March.

Meanwhile, I am at the hospital tomorrow for my pre-cycle 7 chemo checks and another scan. Results and snow permitting, I will be back in the chair on Thursday for the penultimate round on the chemo carousel. 

Wrap up warm everyone - apart from HF! xx

Bythesea very good πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I'm going to ask my onc on Wed if there's anything I can do, but decided to take antihistamine to see if that helps, these days it the cure for all ills πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Well done Lesley, only tasty cocktails from now on with mini umbrellas in xxx. Rest up and relax!
Carole I have the runny eyes I thought it was lack of eyelashes. They stream when I'm outside and I think the salty tears burn my skin as eyes are now pink and wrinkly. Ha that reminds me of a joke. What's pink and wrinkly and hangs out your trousers????? Your granny ha ha! Sorry x

Home now πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””πŸ”” rang the virtual bell and then πŸƒπŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸ»β€β™€οΈ And πŸ’ƒπŸΌπŸ’ƒπŸΌπŸ’ƒπŸΌ My way out of the unit and the hospital ... tried to get a selfie of me jigging my way out but it was blurred and I looked like I should be heading for a secure unit!!

Got a bit emotional saying goodbye and thank you to the nurses, but I’ll be back in April for my bone infusion!

Carole, Anadan and HF the chair has been warmed up for you - go smash it!!! πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

Fmb - any news on you line??

xx

Woo-hoo ! Well done
Now rest and take it easy πŸ’•πŸ’•

I’ve not had runny eyes but I know ladies who have, it’s the T that’s does it xx

Chemo all done, line out ... was a bit tricky, my vein kept clamping on to it, obviously didn’t want to see it go. And now the entry point is sooooooo painful.

Just waiting for meds and that’s me done - woohoo cx

Oh also have white marks on some nails too and they feel tender.

Also have extremely runny eyes, not sure if it's because my filter mechanism of eyelashes are very few and hence my eyes no longer have any protection. Anyone else got this ?

Good luck harryfiddler fiddler for 12 hours time and counting......πŸ€πŸ€

And good luck to anadan for tomorrow too.πŸ€πŸ€

Waiting to pickup the baton for Thursday to bring up the rear and get across that finishing line too.

Big hugs laddies πŸ’•πŸ’•

Hey Lesley, 

Slurp up that cocktail and ring that bell! I'm right behind you, in the chair in 12 hours. Blood tested, steroids on board, although they've reduced my steroid dose right down because it does terrible things to me. 

Also, saw the surgeon today and I have a date. It's bye bye boobies on April 4. We discussed reconstruction and decided to go two stage surgery with spacers to keep my options open and because I will probably have rads. Then he looked at my boobs and said, "Actually, they're rather small, and they only make spacers in medium and large. So maybe we'll just put little silicons in straight away." !!! I'm now off to look at flatandfabulous.org because maybe I'll even skip the silicons...  Much relief though at the decision to not pursue tram or diep any time soon, because after two caesars, the fear of the abdominal wound was doing my head in. 

Hugs to all those riding the wave of SEs, and happy dances for ones crossing the finishing line. And those who are only on stage one of the triathlon -- like me -- a hand stretching across the world for a brave squeeze.

Hf

xx

Good luck Lesley πŸ‘Š

Otter, my nails are dry and sore Smiley Sad with the lines across each one;

I also bruise so easily, have a massive bruise under my knee, no idea when or where it happened...

I'm waiting for my blood results, hope I get a green light for tomorrow

Good luck today Lesley πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

thanks Carole - I am only warming the seat for you!!  Not long now!!

Not so sure the world is ready for my bare bonce yet Bythesea but I will be shaking my booty instead ..... there's plenty to shake!!

I am having the most awful steroid flushes this morning, dont feel hot but my face is just puce!! Not a great look!  Time for the green foundation me thinks 🀣

xx

Good luck Lesley, hope all goes smoothly and you can cha cha slide outta there. xxx
Use Wendy like a Pom Pom on your way out x

Fingers and toes crossed it will all be fine and it be over and done with πŸ’•πŸ’• πŸ’• πŸ’•
Highlighted

Yeah my naughty imp was rather loud too but it was ok so hope it will be for you too

πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ””πŸ””πŸ””

Thanks ladies - I thought I would feel more excited about this one, it will probably hit me later!

I do have a niggle in the back of my mind though that something is going to go wrong!  But I keep telling the naughty imp to be quiet!

I will report back later

xx

Good luck for today Lesley, ring that visual bell πŸ””πŸ””πŸ”” and a few cartwheels too !

Carole xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ•ΊπŸ•ΊπŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺfor you Lesley, got the virtual πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›Žready for you lovely πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Hi Lesley

Good luck for tomorrow πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€

I have white marks and also ridges on all my nails plus thumb's have received flecks which I presume is bleeding under the nail but condition wise they are stronger than pre chemo as they had been splitting for over a year 😱😱😱😱

Keep warm everyone with the big freeze upon us❄❄❄❄❄❄⛄⛄⛄⛄

Info on the nails

Nails continued to be problematic for a month or so after last chemo.
They recommended dark varnish for another month and then clear varnish and/or conditioning treatments.
Avoid gels for 3-6 months

All good advice

xx

I'm sure October Karana has been using gel all the way through. Interested about white marks tho???? And why thumb half moon keeps disappearing then reappearing???? Weird. Just off phone to consulting anaesthetist friend. Feeling reassured :0)

That’s another question I want to ask, how long do you carry on with dark varnish and when can you use gel again?
I’ll ask the May Gang and report back

Xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Lesley glamour puss, looking fabulous as always😘😘great photos and can’t wait to celebrate πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰with you tomorrow amazing wonderful lady 😁😁ask the May girls about the nail thing, they are better about nail questions 😘😘bythesea, like Lesley says give yourself best chance with the op and mention your sniffles so they can assess you and make their decision to go ahead or delay, you’ve come safely through chemo, please continue to keep safe πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

Not sure about nails but mine are the same. Although thumb nail half moons are normal, one on right has been coming and going but all other fingers same white mark half way up. I thought it was where the chemo got to them growing out but not bruised so hoping to get away with it. I've had no polish on and been rubbing them with oil :0)

Thanks Bythesea- look was more by necessity than desire!

I’ve just changed my nail varnish and noticed both my thumb nails and one of finger nails has a half moon white mark nearly half way up the nail - any idea what it is or what it means - sign of losing them?

Thanks

Xx

Looking gorgeous, like a movie star x. Love the snaps, giraffes always remind me of sugar puffs :0)
Home make over stalled. Didn't want paint fumes to catch throat but banister back on, cupboard door moved and finished. There is a rumour it will be done for when I come out of hospital but I won't hold my breath! Ha
Good luck tomorrow xxx

I know Bythesea - I am counting the hours now! 20 hrs and I will be walking out of there..... done!!  What could possibly go wrong!!

My son is really bad today, so definitely the right choice to cancel our meet up!

So I headed to the wildlife reserve instead, to see the other cheeky monkeys!  The monkeys and big cats were all inside and having none of this cold weather - but I still had fun!

JM3yfZ5tQHiBEfq6Pi+9TA.jpgfullsizeoutput_1063.jpeg

Are they going to be checking your bloods again?  I didn't have any blood checks prior to my surgery but that was before chemo.

They just checked temperature and pregnancy test - despite the hysterectomy!

As long as it's just a sniffle and not full blown flu I think you should be ok.  But you need to give yourself the best chance.  It's a big op you are having.

I bet you are counting down the days and getting all those last minute jobs done ......... how's the home makeover going??

xx

Lesley, it's nearly time xxx.
I hope you've had an amazing weekend making up for not seeing your son.
One more sleep to go, woooo hooooo. Big final photo please. Time has flown by where did the winter of 17/18 go???? I'm sure we'll all remember it forever.
Good luck tomorrow x
What's the chances of them operating on me if I've got the sniffles????
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks Lesley 😘😘I know Emma Hannigan is an inspiration to so many of us and the news last week that she might not be with us much longer after her courageous fight and the books she has written which help so many of us see the ✨✨✨sparkles on this journey, saw this below that her close friend has had done in her honour and I thought I might get that one too as her book all to live for helped me and touched my ❀️ And I know it has for others too. Thanks again Lesley πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

hi all

Shi has asked me to post this photo for her.

IMG_0570.PNG

Its a tattoo that a friend of Emma Hannigan the author who wrote "All to live for" has had done to honour Emma. 

Shi is tempted to get the same .... I think she should as a Community Champion!!

Oh no Bythesea, you need to get rid of that!

I woke up in the night and thought my throat felt a bit sore, but seems ok now.

wrap up warm everyone! 

I'm counting down the hours to chemo 6 and ringing the virtual bell!!

xx