Re: November 2017 Chemo Starters

Hi Lesley

Good luck for tomorrow 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

I have white marks and also ridges on all my nails plus thumb's have received flecks which I presume is bleeding under the nail but condition wise they are stronger than pre chemo as they had been splitting for over a year 😱😱😱😱

Keep warm everyone with the big freeze upon us❄❄❄❄❄❄⛄⛄⛄⛄

Info on the nails

Nails continued to be problematic for a month or so after last chemo.
They recommended dark varnish for another month and then clear varnish and/or conditioning treatments.
Avoid gels for 3-6 months

All good advice

xx

I'm sure October Karana has been using gel all the way through. Interested about white marks tho???? And why thumb half moon keeps disappearing then reappearing???? Weird. Just off phone to consulting anaesthetist friend. Feeling reassured :0)

That’s another question I want to ask, how long do you carry on with dark varnish and when can you use gel again?
I’ll ask the May Gang and report back

Xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Lesley glamour puss, looking fabulous as always😘😘great photos and can’t wait to celebrate 🎉🎉🎉🛎🛎🛎🎉🎉🎉with you tomorrow amazing wonderful lady 😁😁ask the May girls about the nail thing, they are better about nail questions 😘😘bythesea, like Lesley says give yourself best chance with the op and mention your sniffles so they can assess you and make their decision to go ahead or delay, you’ve come safely through chemo, please continue to keep safe 😘😘💕💕✨✨shi xx

Not sure about nails but mine are the same. Although thumb nail half moons are normal, one on right has been coming and going but all other fingers same white mark half way up. I thought it was where the chemo got to them growing out but not bruised so hoping to get away with it. I've had no polish on and been rubbing them with oil :0)

Thanks Bythesea- look was more by necessity than desire!

I’ve just changed my nail varnish and noticed both my thumb nails and one of finger nails has a half moon white mark nearly half way up the nail - any idea what it is or what it means - sign of losing them?

Thanks

Xx

Looking gorgeous, like a movie star x. Love the snaps, giraffes always remind me of sugar puffs :0)
Home make over stalled. Didn't want paint fumes to catch throat but banister back on, cupboard door moved and finished. There is a rumour it will be done for when I come out of hospital but I won't hold my breath! Ha
Good luck tomorrow xxx

I know Bythesea - I am counting the hours now! 20 hrs and I will be walking out of there..... done!!  What could possibly go wrong!!

My son is really bad today, so definitely the right choice to cancel our meet up!

So I headed to the wildlife reserve instead, to see the other cheeky monkeys!  The monkeys and big cats were all inside and having none of this cold weather - but I still had fun!

JM3yfZ5tQHiBEfq6Pi+9TA.jpgfullsizeoutput_1063.jpeg

Are they going to be checking your bloods again?  I didn't have any blood checks prior to my surgery but that was before chemo.

They just checked temperature and pregnancy test - despite the hysterectomy!

As long as it's just a sniffle and not full blown flu I think you should be ok.  But you need to give yourself the best chance.  It's a big op you are having.

I bet you are counting down the days and getting all those last minute jobs done ......... how's the home makeover going??

xx

Lesley, it's nearly time xxx.
I hope you've had an amazing weekend making up for not seeing your son.
One more sleep to go, woooo hooooo. Big final photo please. Time has flown by where did the winter of 17/18 go???? I'm sure we'll all remember it forever.
Good luck tomorrow x
What's the chances of them operating on me if I've got the sniffles????
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks Lesley 😘😘I know Emma Hannigan is an inspiration to so many of us and the news last week that she might not be with us much longer after her courageous fight and the books she has written which help so many of us see the ✨✨✨sparkles on this journey, saw this below that her close friend has had done in her honour and I thought I might get that one too as her book all to live for helped me and touched my ❤️ And I know it has for others too. Thanks again Lesley 😘😘💕💕✨✨shi xx

hi all

Shi has asked me to post this photo for her.

IMG_0570.PNG

Its a tattoo that a friend of Emma Hannigan the author who wrote "All to live for" has had done to honour Emma. 

Shi is tempted to get the same .... I think she should as a Community Champion!!

Oh no Bythesea, you need to get rid of that!

I woke up in the night and thought my throat felt a bit sore, but seems ok now.

wrap up warm everyone! 

I'm counting down the hours to chemo 6 and ringing the virtual bell!!

xx

Hi Lesley, they did consider my bloods. Should be on way back up. I've been low all the way through but think the steroids have given me a boost and scrapped by. Will get on the eggs for breakfast and eat my way through a bag if spinach! Think I thought I was finished and threw caution to the wind. Have woken up with sore throat eeeek!
Have a great weekend everyone xxx
Highlighted

Oh Bythesea - you would have thought they would consider your bloods when they scheduled everything.

Spinach or any greens

Liver - I've eaten quite a bit of lambs liver ... not everyones taste!

Eggs are really good - but carefully you dont bung yourself up

red meat

Fish

most nuts and seeds

multivitamin tablets with iron??

fingers crossed!

xx

Annakarenina I know what you mean about upsetting info but I must admit I like to hear worst case scenario. I found the NHS predict mathematical site and was quite encouraged by the outcomes. I have lymph node involvement, which I think is partly the rush on surgery as I can feel the little blighted under my arm as a lump and pain as We think he's pressing on a nerve! The NHS site when you add on the chemo and rads is pretty positive don't rush on to the site if it's not your thing but as my partner said at the very beginning. We only need a 1% chance xxx.
On another note my pre ops nurse just called to say by blood results are low :0( she's called my doctor to see if he'll prescribe something but I've not heard from him. Iron making advice please xxx

I've just come back from a blowy walk, I look like coco the clown with big red cheeks now!!

I've cancelled going to see him.  I've got the rest of my life to let him buy me lunch!!  As we all have .....

If I came down with something awful then he would feel wretched and so would I.

As fmb said, no real choice!

Sending you hugs - now go out there and get some fresh air!!  And if you pass a cafe - a hot chocolate with lashings of whipped cream or marshmallows with a cookie is compulsory  💕

Lesley, I think I love you. Thank you. That is so wise and timely. Just what I needed. I have spent too long sitting tearfully in splendid isolation in my study. I need to go for a freezing walk and blow the emotional cobwebs away.

What did you decide about seeing your cold-ridden son? x

AnnaKarenina - I know what you mean, once you hear/read something like that, you can't unhear/unread it.

I also had lymph node involvement, but limited it has to be said.  2 out of 11.  But for me thats what I see the chemo for - to pick up any rogue cells. And the rads are for any rogues left in situ.

If you asked your consultant they wouldn't be giving you any sort of stats, so although it is really easy to say, I would take it all with a pinch of salt.  It's just scare mongering.

After all, there are lies, damn lies and statistics!!  It is so, so true.

A friend of mine who went thru this 5 years ago, when I first told her about my diagnosis, said, the one bit of advice I can definitely give you is dont read the threads on diagnosis or outcomes - its all 💩 .  She went o n to give me lots more great advice but this one still resonates!

Keep strong

xx

Hello everyone, thanks for the encouragement as I approach the finishing line.

I think I may have made an error today in my slightly fragile state. I read a post on the MacMillan Cancer Forum (I dip in and out but quite often find it a bit upsetting because of the unsifted nature of how threads appear) in which the author said she had been told by her oncologist because she had lymph node involvement there was only a 20% chance that cancer WOULDN'T recur i.e. 80% likely for those with lymph nodes involved that it would. I have stayed well away from predictors and statistical calculators, but like everyone I really worry about recurrence. I feel a bit floored as the thread title gave no indication that was going to be the content. As someone who had a positive lymph biopsy at diagnosis, it is horrible to read. I have never heard that statistic before and it is just grim. Feeling quite tearful and overwhelmed. Sorry to be a misery, but I think it has hit me hard because I am feeling a bit wrung out by everything. How do you respond when this sort of difficult information arrives unannounced in your consciousness? 

On a more uplifting note, I am loving the preparation for surgery tips and banter about Lesley's er-hem cosmetic options . . .