cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

November 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: November 2017 Chemo Starters

Very happy...although next bath date is still unknown, I've just treated myself to tickets to see Soft Cell in september...😍😍😍😍

Thats a tough one Lesley, but i think u know the answer. You only have one more to go and then you'll be free to see whoever whenever xxxx

I need some advice ladies ....

I've not seen my son since Christmas - the plan was for me to go to him in South London on Sunday and we would go out for lunch.

He has come down with a cold - his description - snotty nose and sore throat.

Last chemo is Monday ...... do I risk it and go see him.... or stay away.

This is a real head/heart one ..... my head is saying why risk it for the sake of a couple of weeks, I could make myself properly poorly.  But my heart wants to see him and his girlfriend???

xx

I'd also recommend the Sopranos ...... great series and highly addictive - saw me thru my hysterectomy!!

That makes sense - at least you get it over and done in one hit ... so to speak .... we don't want anyone hitting you!

Dont forget your chargers and get the wifi code!

xx

Great advice Shi as always, thanks

I've been told the hospital stay is up to 7 days when u have mastectomy and reconstruction as its 2 major ops.
I would suggest downloading some box sets also...my plan is Downtown Abbey as I've never seen it - yes shock horror 😁😁

OMG Bythesea you need a small TV production team to turn up and help you!!

I had the DN come out to check my drain, I didn't/don't sleep in hospital so wanted to get home to my own bed. They removed it as well when the time came.  You might be ready to come home, so I wouldn't discount the DN option??

I think mum was only in for 3 days when she had her single mx - and she was pushing 80!

xx

Thank you ladies. Not tmi shi that's what I'm after :0) earning your CC stripes there x
In for 5 days. Might get out after three but gotta get drain emptied and checked on the 4th and 5th day so might stay in to save yo yo ing on the ferry :0(
I thought the pre chemo organising was bad but currently got whole house upside down. We have moved hall cupboard door up a bit. Glass banister is off, wardrobe doors are off getting painted. Bought flat pack shelving unit for living room which is now lying in 4 boxes like a coffee table. Bought paint for hall, living room and outside wood work oh and new curtains for living room. eeeek! Running out of days!!!!
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Fmb, pair of sliders for your feet, easier to get on than slippers, a dressing gown, you can keep dignified when walking to surgery, rather than having a flapping hospital gown, get one with pockets tgat’ll Take about a litre bottle if you can or one with a tie inside, so if you are having a drain bottle it helps while you have that attached to you for a few days after, if you are in overnight, take lip balm and hand cream, you’ll get dry in there. Take a bit of anosol cream too, the things they give you can back you up and anosol will sooth things, sorry tmi but just want to help you be more comfy πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨shi xx

It does make me cross the way you have to drive things forward ... it ok if you are that sort of person, but there’s a lot of people who would just sit and wait for someone to get in touch ... not wanting to bother them or make a fuss
It’s a recurring theme of annoyance!

I think that my onc should have requested removal appointment on my chemo 5 check up. I was the one that asked when it would be removed on my chemo 6 check up, i think it was an oversight. I guess in NHS world they r going to prioritise the new Hickmans in rather than the less urgent removals.
I'm going to chase again today
X

Hi Lesley - Vajazzle away I say 😁😁

Are they leaving your line in for surgery? Might be worth asking the question??

I know for my repeat CT, they’ve requested a vascular access nurse to be on hand for the cannula.

My unit nurses remove the PICC as soon as chemo is done ... I’m not that familiar with the Hickman lines!

Still no bubble bath for me 😣

Sorry, was suppose to be a link πŸ™„ its one of the top topics under surgery thread.
I was told to take in a fan as you get really hot under the 'hot blanket'you have to be under for at least the first 24 hours...this heat will help the capillaries connect. So anything that helps u cooldown.
Also i have bought button top pyjamas as they look at your boobs alot, every 30 mins through the first night apparently. Also front fastening bras...i just bought 2 that were recommended from Asdas.

How long are you expected to be in for ... I had 2 lots of surgery ... the first one in and out the same day and the second just an overnight stay ... so didn’t really need much at all ... sorry not very helpful! 😫

How’s everyone doing?? xx

Hi Bythesea,
I found the following really useful as i start to research the surgery:
forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Surgery/What-to-take-into-hospital/td-p/860471
Xxxx

Oooooo defo on the vajazzle Lesley! That'll surprise your surgeon x
Ok starting to pack for next week. Top tips please on what I'll need. Clothes, bras, mags, snacks???? Not a lot of space in those tiny bedside cupboards. What's the secret item that will make it all easier????xxx

Bythesea ... do you think I should go the whole hog and get a vajazzle??? (Is that how you spell it!?) 🀣🀣🀣🀣

Busy day for me!
I was in the unit at 7.15 for my pre checks - all seems ok, can’t see me getting a call about bloods 🀞
Then straight on a train into London for some more presenting!
One of my old colleagues was there so she’s chasing up my CT appt - brucie bonus!
I did walk back to st Pancras, it was such a lovely day ... but I’m now sat on the train with very sore feet!! 😫😫. I need to remember that I not thru this yet!

Hope all the 6 girls are getting on ok!

AnnaKarenina - you can do this!! You have a battalion of us behind you! If you start to fall we will catch you!!
Having treatment fortnightly is a bit of a bugger but if anyone can do it, you can!!
Sending lots of hugs and love and positive vibes your way!!
πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸŽ’πŸŽ’πŸŽ’

Harry fiddler I'll do the war dance for you. Hang in there x
Annakarenina it's ok to be grumpy. The 15th of March will be along in no time bringing a whole new you full of fresh new cells in your body like the new little buds on the flowers and trees. A clean slate and an exciting future to look forward to with a renewed knowledge that life's too short for the mundane xxx
Lesley sorry to hear about your little set back but designer vaginas are very popular these days. It'll be a whole new you everywhere! xxx
Carole a celebration sounds wonderful. Let your hair down xxx

Hang in there AnnaKarenina! It's that dreadful bit in the marathon where you can't imagine how you'll get there. But you will. I'm beginning to accept that I'm not going to bounce back before next week, so I'm going to go into chemo #6 feeling grotty. I am Not Impressed. I don't even have the energy to do a pre-chemo wardance. But it's a marathon, so we just have to keep putting one foot after another, and every step is closer to the finish.

Interested to hear that you're not planning on reconstruction at the moment. I have decided that I would like either to *not* reconstruct or to **have had** a TRAM flap reconstruction but I don't want to actually go through the operation. Can anyone arrange this for me please?

Waving from the South

HF

xx

Okay, much-cheered by the news that our lovely supportive and wise Shi has become a community champion in these parts. Brilliant. xx

Morning everyone, great to see and hear about the line getting closer and some of us even managing to cross it! 

I have had a grumpy few days and for the first time really doubted my capacity to get to my own finishing line. The rational part of me knows two cycles remaining is not many and 15 March is within touching distance, but the irrational grump is fed up and worn down by it all. I think the cumulative impact of 8 cycles is beginning to tell on body and soul, but I am too close to get self-indulgent now: big girl pants, gold jumpsuits and whatever magical thinking I need will be invoked to get me in that chair twice more and keep me going until 15 March.

Harryfiddler: that sounds like quite the session. I am pretty certain about my decision not to have reconstruction, but I am looking forward to hearing what the surgeon has to say when I go to see him on 6 March. 

Bythesea, how did the pre-op checks go? All set? Remember the hand holding from those of us far from the sea but thinking of women close to it!

Otter, Lesley and Carole, hope you are feeling better today? I have never been so aware of my body as I have been since starting chemo - all these changing sensations and symptoms are exhausting in themselves. Wish you all a healing day.

Finally Lesley, that final chemo check has arrived! Go be assessed and let us know that you're on for Monday. xx

I'd like to say I was bloated Carole .... but no ... just fat!!  πŸ€£

I think there is a surprise booked for me at some point but I'm not supposed to know about it!!

xx

Have a lovely meal out Bythesea, enjoy your mini celebration. We have one planned for the 2nd March, as my last treatment is the 1st March as the last of the November crew.

Oh Lesley that must have been quite a surprise! Glad to hear that it can all be sorted. This chemo lark certainly throws up a curve ball or two .

This time round I feel really bloated all the time πŸ™

Enjoy your celebration Bythesea - you deserve it!!

Should have been in the chair for 6 tomorrow - but just the pre-chemo check ... final one on Monday - I am so on final countdown!!

I'll hold you to a met up if I make it to Scotland - and if you are down this way let us know!!!

Ended up at the GP this morning - all a bit embarrasing - but started bleeding ..... not a lot of fun seeing as I have had a hysterectomy..... Dr Google signposted chemo induced atrophy which the GP thought it was as well, but turned out to be a slight prolapse ..... so I will need a small procedure at some point.

Anything else going to break on my little body???  Relieved it's all fixable and not a permanent reminder of chemo!

xx

Pre op checks complete eeek! Another step closer. This would have been my final chemo day so was quite excited in the chair getting my herceptin jag! It's over, no more of those cocktails for me!!! Not even after surgery so looks like I got off lightly with 5! Jealous of your meet up but I'm defo in for the next one. If you ever end up in Scotland Lesley let me know or come visit always welcome. As long as you don't leave hair in my bath! ( the thought of that photo still makes me smile) :0)
How many November ladies are still to get number 6? Are you up tomorrow Lesley?
Harryfiddler did you finish yesterday???
Fmb any sign of that bath???
I can't wait to be able to go for a swim :0)
Out for dinner tonight as a mini celebration woo hoo xxx

Good morning everyone

Cold and sunny here today, may go for a walk sooner than later. β˜€β˜€β„β„β˜€β˜€

Harryfiddler that really is information overload, but probably very helpful, I have a meeting with my surgeon on 2nd March to discuss what's to be done.

Lesley thanks for making the reservation. Hopefully I'll be okay to come but Monday I felt really yuck - just really lethargic and achy. Don't know if I over did it at the weekend, or if I was trying to fight off my husband's man flu or it it was just one of those delayed reaction things. Who knows - but okay now. Hope everyone else is doing okay.

Happy Wednesday 😊 x

Hi Lesley

Thanks as you say a productive pain so bearable πŸ€—πŸ€—

Im due to finish rads on 6th April then back to oncologist on 10 the to see what happens next

Pins and neddnee in feet are slot worst this time round so hoping they will improve

Looks like it's going to be a cold but sunny day here again

Hope you all have a good day

πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

Good to hear you are on form Otter!!  loving the lasagna .... I'm on my way!

You'll be virtually finished your rads by the time I start them on the 2nd April - four weeks for me - three weeks for the whole breast and 1 week of targetted zapping!  My longest appt is 20 mins - the last one thank goodness.

At least you know that the pain from the injections is because your body is making lots of lovely new cells!  I try to think of it as good pain .... a bit like child birth .... one step nearer the finishing line!

I had my 'healing' session .... still not sure about it all.... But I can't say I dont feel relaxed after it so I will continue with it.

JC how you doing?   From memory these aren't your good days?

Just to let you know that for our lunch out I have booked the Crusting Pipe in Covent Garden for 1pm https://www.davy.co.uk/wine-bar/crusting-pipe/

its downstairs in Covent Garden - near where the singers usually go - booked in my name.

I've not eaten there before, just had drinks, but a friend of mine has eaten there on numerous ocassions and recommended it .  The menu looks as if there should be something for everyone.

xx

Highlighted

Hi All

Lesley you are definitely inspiring us all to cook from scratch πŸ€—πŸ€— l made a gluten free vetgatable lasagna last night and finished my zigsaw so felt like a productive day for a change πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒ

Today I had my planning session for radiotherapy so have been tattooed and start on 15th March for 3 weeks ☒☒☒

Shoulder will probably be painful having to stay in same position for 15 minutes but I suppose it's a necessary evil

Hope everyone is doing ok 😘😘😘😘

Injection are giving a bit extra pain this time but at least it's for the last time πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

Hi harryfiddler - I went to a similar session to you earlier this month. Its called the BRA group and they meet once a month in Oxford (that's where i am having my surgery). The session talks through the process of the op and then women who have had surgery come along to show off their new boobs. Was actually comforting to see women who have been through the op and really happy with the results. Made me less nervous about the whole thing.

Bythesea - I'm thinking of you as you near your date for your op. We are all here for you xxx

Chased Hospital today for my hickmans removal date...still dreaming of my bubbly bath, my vision of my bath has a glass of bubbles with it 😁πŸ₯‚

Morning Bythesea - no probably half a pint ..... I'm pleased with the result!

And I made chocolate muffins with the pulp that was left over, they didn't rise as much as normal, but the centre is more 'brownie' like ..... what's not to love!!  And full of fibre!

Glad your pizza's turned out ok - keep it going !!!

I'm definitely going to keep going with making as much as I can and keeping all my food fresh.   As my OH says, if it needs a label then someone has messed around with and it will contain all sorts of salts and sugars and additives. 

Have they said how long you will be in hospital for?

My son and girlfriend were up your way this last weekend - spent their anniversary in Edinburgh - they loved it, beautiful city and great people!  i really must get round to a visit.  I'm ashamed to say I have never been to Scotland!

Happy Tuesday all...... another day closer the end!! 

xx

Lesley you are a trend setter! I made pizza over the weekend with home made bases. Delicious :0)
Annakarenina hope your feeling better x
Fmb hope you've got a date and are once step closer to that big bubble bath x
Harry fiddler love the idea of a live show. I'm in next week and have no idea what to expect when done eeeek! The surgeon uses glue tho so no plaster so as soon as I'm awake I'll be able to have a peek!!!
Lesley tiger milk looks amazing. How much is in the bottle? A pint???

Wow HF, it does seem as if you have had information overload!!

But at least now you can sit back and hopefully digest everything that was thrown at you.

I think FMB is having the same sort of surgery that they are offering you.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I have my healer coming around again today - hopefully it will be another relaxing session!

Porridge with my tigernut milk later ..... I'll let you know!!

xx

Hi all,

Lots of encouraging news coming from your side of the world! Well done lesley, AK. My 5/6 docetaxel had a sting in its tail, and I haven't bounced back nearly as much as I did from the others, which is frustrating. But keeping my eyes on the prize -- steroids and bloods on Monday, final chemo on Tuesday.

I have just come home from a three hour seminar on reconstruction options and my head is spinning. A frankly terrifying slide show from a lovely (female) surgeon -- looking at all sorts of possible results, good, bad and ugly -- and then six wonderful ladies stripping off and telling their story. The surgeon's photos were mostly quite soon after surgery, so a bit confronting, but the live show was much more encouraging! Two years down the track their scars were pretty much invisible and all of them were happy with their boobs. 

I'm not sure I was ready for quite this much information, but they're very keen on the all-in-one mastectomy and recon operation here, which means decisions for me, soon. Yikes. I'm going to have a nap to let it all sink in...

Harryfiddler xx

Ohhhh you’re having that new surgery ... go girl!!
You’ve got a bit of a break before hand as well ... don’t forget to rest up!

Bythesea is having surgery on the 28th ... leading the way. Quite a few are going on to surgery

I’m on to rads.

Well done you Lesley, I'm so glad u dont need the PICC line any longer than needed 😁

Next step for me is continued Herceptin every 3 weeks and then I'm booked in for mastectomy/reconstructive surgery (or what im calling tummy tuck and boob job 😎) on March 27th.

Anyone else getting ready for surgery once chemo ends?

Xx

I’m one step ahead of you fmb.... the PICC can be taken out by the chemo nurses, but it’s booked in to be removed immediately chemo is done πŸ˜€
I’ll be skipping out appliance free!

I’m still surprised that you have to chase most aspects of care .... I’m on their case quite a bit!

Where do you go from here fmb?

Xx

Hi Lesley,
Congrats on last flush 😁 I have a Hickmans line in as the PICC line wouldn't go 'round the corner' when they were trying to insert it. Anyhoo, I finished my last chemo last wed and during my onc appointment the day before i had to remind them to make an appointment to have the line removed. I'm gutted that i'm still waiting for the appointment...so i have a line that is still in.
I cannot have a bath with the line in...i cannot tell u how much i want a bath!!!!!!
Thought I would share in case u can proactively ask them for an appointment to get the PICC removed as close after ur last day.
X

Well done AnnaKarenina, kneading bread is very therapeutic!  Glad everyone liked it.

And one day of feeling pooh isn't too bad.  As you say, much better than the (F)EC side of things.  And good you have a measure of it, given that you are now every 2 weeks - at least you can plan.  And those around you know what to expect as well.

You get sucked into the Olympics all you want .... you have a great excuse!!

xx

Ooh Lesley, final flush! I love it. I am much less fond of the news that your poor skin is wrecked but hope that when they remove the PICC line SOON, all will heal well. Super impressed by the creation of milk from tiger nuts. Amazing. Inspired by you, I made some (very simple) wholemeal bread yesterday which went down a storm in these parts. I was in Paclitaxel pain land and there was something quite therapeutic about creating something good whilst beating up a piece of dough. 

How is everyone else today? Elorac, Otter, Bythesea, Anadan, Harryfiddler and the gang?

I think I can say with some confidence that I now know the Paclitaxel cycle: sense of security on day 1 with not many problems, sense of apprehension with creeping pain and changed sensation on day 2, sense of self-pity on day 3 as I grapple with horrid pain, weird sensations in feet/hands and shedding skin, sense of cautious hope on day 4 as it all begins to settle down a bit. I am day 4 now, but yesterday was miserable.

Still, it remains lots better than EC SEs, especially as there is no nausea and the bleurgh seems to last less time than the bleurgh of post-EC cycles.  

Must now go and do some work. Must. not. get. sucked. into. vortext. of. watching. Winter. Olympics. Must. not. xx

Morning all

hope everyone is ok - just been for my final flush!!  Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

The skin on my arm is a right mess - I've developed an allergy to ALL the different types of dressings they use ..... but only a week to go and then it wont be an issue!

I've made my first batch of tiger nut milk ...... and it's ok!   I didn't put in the sugar that they included in the recipe and I think its still sweet enough.

You have to soak the nuts, with an optional cinnamon stick, over night.  Then just whizz them up with water and strain.  You're left with a load of pulp which you can use to make cakes with or dry out for a nut like sprinkle topping.   

The tiger nuts are not actually nuts but tubers - so good for anyone with a nut allergy.

N5EncW7LTi+s7N6%D5mybA.jpgQt+PR8QGQUGwgwdujMz%Vw.jpgw+scjcFcTDSKS+9GguhMBg.jpg

Happy Monday everyone and goodluck for anyone having their 🍸 this week 🎒

xx

Hi Chaffinch...I had my first herceptin injection on Thursday so will have a look to join in there. Haven’t felt great. Hope you are ok xx

Glad to hear that some of you November ladies are ringing bells πŸŽ‰πŸ””. Finishing chemo feels so great. After initial side effects were over I felt like running around shouting and laughing like a mad woman. Felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders 😊.
Is anyone in this group having Herceptin as part of their treatment? I’m trying to set up a group in the Targeted therapy section for help and support. It is called February Herceptin starters? I had my first injection on Friday and so far so good.

Hi all

How are you bell ringing ladies doing? Hope you are all keeping well and SEs are at a minimum

I've had a lovely weekend .... and it's not over yet!

Enjoy the sunshine if you have it.

love and hugs to all

xxx

πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰ well done JC πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

Well done JC, another across the line!!

Beautiful morning here, enjoy the sunshine and build up those blood levels ready for next weeks 🍸🍸
Xx

Thank you Lesley Smiley Happy

I'm definitely going to have a go at the bread once I've finished chemo-apart from it being healthier, I reckon all the kneading will be theraputic! My girls might not be so enthusastic though, I'm not usually great at cooking! xx

Hi JC

πŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸ›ŽπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””

Well done now relax πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

My job was117 so plenty of protein and spinach for me too

Hope you all have a sunny 🌞🌞🌞 Saturday