Re: November 2017 Chemo Starters

Hang in there AnnaKarenina! It's that dreadful bit in the marathon where you can't imagine how you'll get there. But you will. I'm beginning to accept that I'm not going to bounce back before next week, so I'm going to go into chemo #6 feeling grotty. I am Not Impressed. I don't even have the energy to do a pre-chemo wardance. But it's a marathon, so we just have to keep putting one foot after another, and every step is closer to the finish.

Interested to hear that you're not planning on reconstruction at the moment. I have decided that I would like either to *not* reconstruct or to **have had** a TRAM flap reconstruction but I don't want to actually go through the operation. Can anyone arrange this for me please?

Waving from the South

HF

xx

Okay, much-cheered by the news that our lovely supportive and wise Shi has become a community champion in these parts. Brilliant. xx

Morning everyone, great to see and hear about the line getting closer and some of us even managing to cross it! 

I have had a grumpy few days and for the first time really doubted my capacity to get to my own finishing line. The rational part of me knows two cycles remaining is not many and 15 March is within touching distance, but the irrational grump is fed up and worn down by it all. I think the cumulative impact of 8 cycles is beginning to tell on body and soul, but I am too close to get self-indulgent now: big girl pants, gold jumpsuits and whatever magical thinking I need will be invoked to get me in that chair twice more and keep me going until 15 March.

Harryfiddler: that sounds like quite the session. I am pretty certain about my decision not to have reconstruction, but I am looking forward to hearing what the surgeon has to say when I go to see him on 6 March. 

Bythesea, how did the pre-op checks go? All set? Remember the hand holding from those of us far from the sea but thinking of women close to it!

Otter, Lesley and Carole, hope you are feeling better today? I have never been so aware of my body as I have been since starting chemo - all these changing sensations and symptoms are exhausting in themselves. Wish you all a healing day.

Finally Lesley, that final chemo check has arrived! Go be assessed and let us know that you're on for Monday. xx

I'd like to say I was bloated Carole .... but no ... just fat!!  🤣

I think there is a surprise booked for me at some point but I'm not supposed to know about it!!

xx

Have a lovely meal out Bythesea, enjoy your mini celebration. We have one planned for the 2nd March, as my last treatment is the 1st March as the last of the November crew.

Oh Lesley that must have been quite a surprise! Glad to hear that it can all be sorted. This chemo lark certainly throws up a curve ball or two .

This time round I feel really bloated all the time 🙁

Enjoy your celebration Bythesea - you deserve it!!

Should have been in the chair for 6 tomorrow - but just the pre-chemo check ... final one on Monday - I am so on final countdown!!

I'll hold you to a met up if I make it to Scotland - and if you are down this way let us know!!!

Ended up at the GP this morning - all a bit embarrasing - but started bleeding ..... not a lot of fun seeing as I have had a hysterectomy..... Dr Google signposted chemo induced atrophy which the GP thought it was as well, but turned out to be a slight prolapse ..... so I will need a small procedure at some point.

Anything else going to break on my little body???  Relieved it's all fixable and not a permanent reminder of chemo!

xx

Pre op checks complete eeek! Another step closer. This would have been my final chemo day so was quite excited in the chair getting my herceptin jag! It's over, no more of those cocktails for me!!! Not even after surgery so looks like I got off lightly with 5! Jealous of your meet up but I'm defo in for the next one. If you ever end up in Scotland Lesley let me know or come visit always welcome. As long as you don't leave hair in my bath! ( the thought of that photo still makes me smile) :0)
How many November ladies are still to get number 6? Are you up tomorrow Lesley?
Harryfiddler did you finish yesterday???
Fmb any sign of that bath???
I can't wait to be able to go for a swim :0)
Out for dinner tonight as a mini celebration woo hoo xxx

Good morning everyone

Cold and sunny here today, may go for a walk sooner than later. ☀☀❄❄☀☀

Harryfiddler that really is information overload, but probably very helpful, I have a meeting with my surgeon on 2nd March to discuss what's to be done.

Lesley thanks for making the reservation. Hopefully I'll be okay to come but Monday I felt really yuck - just really lethargic and achy. Don't know if I over did it at the weekend, or if I was trying to fight off my husband's man flu or it it was just one of those delayed reaction things. Who knows - but okay now. Hope everyone else is doing okay.

Happy Wednesday 😊 x

Hi Lesley

Thanks as you say a productive pain so bearable 🤗🤗

Im due to finish rads on 6th April then back to oncologist on 10 the to see what happens next

Pins and neddnee in feet are slot worst this time round so hoping they will improve

Looks like it's going to be a cold but sunny day here again

Hope you all have a good day

😘😘😘😘🤗🤗🤗🤗

Good to hear you are on form Otter!!  loving the lasagna .... I'm on my way!

You'll be virtually finished your rads by the time I start them on the 2nd April - four weeks for me - three weeks for the whole breast and 1 week of targetted zapping!  My longest appt is 20 mins - the last one thank goodness.

At least you know that the pain from the injections is because your body is making lots of lovely new cells!  I try to think of it as good pain .... a bit like child birth .... one step nearer the finishing line!

I had my 'healing' session .... still not sure about it all.... But I can't say I dont feel relaxed after it so I will continue with it.

JC how you doing?   From memory these aren't your good days?

Just to let you know that for our lunch out I have booked the Crusting Pipe in Covent Garden for 1pm https://www.davy.co.uk/wine-bar/crusting-pipe/

its downstairs in Covent Garden - near where the singers usually go - booked in my name.

I've not eaten there before, just had drinks, but a friend of mine has eaten there on numerous ocassions and recommended it .  The menu looks as if there should be something for everyone.

xx

Hi All

Lesley you are definitely inspiring us all to cook from scratch 🤗🤗 l made a gluten free vetgatable lasagna last night and finished my zigsaw so felt like a productive day for a change 🙃🙃

Today I had my planning session for radiotherapy so have been tattooed and start on 15th March for 3 weeks ☢☢☢

Shoulder will probably be painful having to stay in same position for 15 minutes but I suppose it's a necessary evil

Hope everyone is doing ok 😘😘😘😘

Injection are giving a bit extra pain this time but at least it's for the last time 🎉🎉🎉🎉

Hi harryfiddler - I went to a similar session to you earlier this month. Its called the BRA group and they meet once a month in Oxford (that's where i am having my surgery). The session talks through the process of the op and then women who have had surgery come along to show off their new boobs. Was actually comforting to see women who have been through the op and really happy with the results. Made me less nervous about the whole thing.

Bythesea - I'm thinking of you as you near your date for your op. We are all here for you xxx

Chased Hospital today for my hickmans removal date...still dreaming of my bubbly bath, my vision of my bath has a glass of bubbles with it 😁🥂

Morning Bythesea - no probably half a pint ..... I'm pleased with the result!

And I made chocolate muffins with the pulp that was left over, they didn't rise as much as normal, but the centre is more 'brownie' like ..... what's not to love!!  And full of fibre!

Glad your pizza's turned out ok - keep it going !!!

I'm definitely going to keep going with making as much as I can and keeping all my food fresh.   As my OH says, if it needs a label then someone has messed around with and it will contain all sorts of salts and sugars and additives. 

Have they said how long you will be in hospital for?

My son and girlfriend were up your way this last weekend - spent their anniversary in Edinburgh - they loved it, beautiful city and great people!  i really must get round to a visit.  I'm ashamed to say I have never been to Scotland!

Happy Tuesday all...... another day closer the end!! 

xx

Lesley you are a trend setter! I made pizza over the weekend with home made bases. Delicious :0)
Annakarenina hope your feeling better x
Fmb hope you've got a date and are once step closer to that big bubble bath x
Harry fiddler love the idea of a live show. I'm in next week and have no idea what to expect when done eeeek! The surgeon uses glue tho so no plaster so as soon as I'm awake I'll be able to have a peek!!!
Lesley tiger milk looks amazing. How much is in the bottle? A pint???

Wow HF, it does seem as if you have had information overload!!

But at least now you can sit back and hopefully digest everything that was thrown at you.

I think FMB is having the same sort of surgery that they are offering you.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I have my healer coming around again today - hopefully it will be another relaxing session!

Porridge with my tigernut milk later ..... I'll let you know!!

xx

Highlighted

Hi all,

Lots of encouraging news coming from your side of the world! Well done lesley, AK. My 5/6 docetaxel had a sting in its tail, and I haven't bounced back nearly as much as I did from the others, which is frustrating. But keeping my eyes on the prize -- steroids and bloods on Monday, final chemo on Tuesday.

I have just come home from a three hour seminar on reconstruction options and my head is spinning. A frankly terrifying slide show from a lovely (female) surgeon -- looking at all sorts of possible results, good, bad and ugly -- and then six wonderful ladies stripping off and telling their story. The surgeon's photos were mostly quite soon after surgery, so a bit confronting, but the live show was much more encouraging! Two years down the track their scars were pretty much invisible and all of them were happy with their boobs. 

I'm not sure I was ready for quite this much information, but they're very keen on the all-in-one mastectomy and recon operation here, which means decisions for me, soon. Yikes. I'm going to have a nap to let it all sink in...

Harryfiddler xx

Ohhhh you’re having that new surgery ... go girl!!
You’ve got a bit of a break before hand as well ... don’t forget to rest up!

Bythesea is having surgery on the 28th ... leading the way. Quite a few are going on to surgery

I’m on to rads.

Well done you Lesley, I'm so glad u dont need the PICC line any longer than needed 😁

Next step for me is continued Herceptin every 3 weeks and then I'm booked in for mastectomy/reconstructive surgery (or what im calling tummy tuck and boob job 😎) on March 27th.

Anyone else getting ready for surgery once chemo ends?

Xx

I’m one step ahead of you fmb.... the PICC can be taken out by the chemo nurses, but it’s booked in to be removed immediately chemo is done 😀
I’ll be skipping out appliance free!

I’m still surprised that you have to chase most aspects of care .... I’m on their case quite a bit!

Where do you go from here fmb?

Xx

Hi Lesley,
Congrats on last flush 😁 I have a Hickmans line in as the PICC line wouldn't go 'round the corner' when they were trying to insert it. Anyhoo, I finished my last chemo last wed and during my onc appointment the day before i had to remind them to make an appointment to have the line removed. I'm gutted that i'm still waiting for the appointment...so i have a line that is still in.
I cannot have a bath with the line in...i cannot tell u how much i want a bath!!!!!!
Thought I would share in case u can proactively ask them for an appointment to get the PICC removed as close after ur last day.
X