Community Champion

Re: November 2017 Chemo Starters

Harryfiddler, reflux is horrible I get it even without chemo drugs. You can get omeprazole "Nexium" over the counter. I have it on prescription and take one a day to manage the condition, or two when it flares up.

Or call your out of hours doctor.

Prop yourself up on pillows for the rest of the night. I drink fennel or nettle tea when it's bad. Sipping hot water may help.

Hope you're feeling better in the morning - well, when it gets light! X

Anyone got a magic wand for acid reflux? My whole belly is swollen and gripy and I keep getting that horrible acid taste in my mouth. I don't want to eat anything and Iying down makes it worse and **stamps foot petulantly**. And of course it's Sunday so I can't even ring the oncology nurses and whinge at them. So I'm whinging at you guys! Sorry! 

I also heard that colitis can be a serious side effect of docetaxel but don't know what colitis is and at what point to worry. So I'm worrying anyway. The whole digestive system is much worse this time round. Any thoughts?

harryfiddler

xx

Anadan i am from 0ctober thread and really suffered with the injections but this worked best.

Take clarityn or loratadine about lunch time. Take your injection out of the fridge about 4.30 and take 2 either 2 paracetamol or 1 paracetamol and 1 cocodamol at 4.30 too. Do your injection at 5.30pm. At 7.30 pm take 2 ibuprofen. At 10.30 repeat the para/ co codamol again or if you think pain will be bad take 2 co codamol . Take a hotwater bottle to bed too - i put mine on my back.

You can repeat this so you can take painkillers every 3 hours. Also get movicol powders if you are worried about constipation.

Hope you feel better and that awful pain goes xxx

Oh Anadan, how horrible. Don't be a hero! My onc said that occasionally they admit people to the ward to manage pain. Which is not something to aspire to but his point is you're not meant to tough it out, and they have all sorts of tricks up their sleeves to help. I won't take codeine because I'm too scared of constipation so he gave me a new pain killer this time -- which I haven't had to use, thank goodness, been ok on panadol. 

SEs over here deeply unpleasant but no major dramas. I've also felt quite spoilt because I organised for a friend to ring me each day to check I was alive, milk in the fridge etc, and they've all taken me out for a dog shuffle and coffee, which is very cheering. And also makes me feel justified in then spending the rest of the day on the couch! Day 4 revolting, now day 6 and still foggy but functional. If it's anything like last time it's a slow steady climb out. 

Good to hear Lesley and everyone else hanging in there. As my brother just reminded me "Winter always turns to Spring". Or, in my case, sticky, enervating Summer always turns to Autumn eventually. 

Harryfiddler xx

Anadan really hope you are feeling better and the pain has eased :0( sending love xxx
Lesley hope you are feeling better too and the pain has eased from your loss ha! x
Carole hope you had a fab day out x
Hope everyone is having a great weekend xxx

Morning anadan, hope you’re feeling better, I’d ring the unit for advice.
Take care xx

Bythesea that is a stunning photo, I'm quite envious of you ladies living near the sea, it's not quite the same walking around North London, just pounding the pavements or a park. Keep up with the photos.

I've been ok this week, just catching up with friends and family so not always able to dip in.

Carole, Harryfiddler and any other chemo 5 starters this week I hope the se's are being kind

Lesley  I'm glad the reduced dose worked for you too - it has made such a difference.  Enjoy being spoiled by your OH, mine sent me flowers with the message 'nearly there ' -  I think the message is for him as much as It's for me!!

Anadan, sorry to hear you're in pain. I was recommended 1 co-codamol (500mg) with 1 paracetamol (500mg), which I took about ever 6-8 hours until the pain subsided. Have you phoned your unit?

Wishing you an enjoyable weekend - sorry but I have to say GO ENGLAND as my 3 daughter's are ardent ENGLAND fans and will watch the game in their England tops shouting & cheering. My middle daughter's boyfriend is Welsh, so it will be quite interesting 🙄

Right, now to tackle the washing ....

🤗😗🤗😗☄💕☄💕☄

You need some co-codamol anadan .... did they give you any? xx

Sorry to hear that what have you taken to ease the pain🤗🤗🤗🤗

In terrible pain 😢 I have 5 more injections, I’m dreading the next one Smiley Sad

efallai y bydd y tîm gorau yn ennill

I think 😃😃 x - google translate

Lesley Lloyd!!  enuf said!!

Seriously, I am England thru and thru..... but I can't see us turning them over .... the Welsh looked very strong last weekend!

xx

A win for Wales Lesley !
My step daughter is a Wales fan so there are always mixed emotions after this fixture.
Have a fab spoilt weekend

Very jealous Carole - I will be watching on the telly!

I have a treble going ....... wins for Ireland, Wales and France will see me smiling on Sunday ..... I do like a bit of a flutter!

Off to the OHs now - he promised to spoil me .. and I know he will!  💕

xx

Hi everyone
Day two and all is well still but assuming SEs will kick in Monday like before. I hope they don't come any sooner as a family outing to twickenham tomorrow.
So today did the weekly shopping - never of done that on FEC now relaxing on the sofa and saving energy for tomorrow.
Glad you got home safely Lesley relaxing on the sofa is what is needed as those aches kick in, that will be me Monday.
Oh not a round face yet but very rosey chemo cheeks
Have a good weekend everyone and hope SE are kind too you all
Carole xx

Morning all

hope everyone is ok?  and not suffering too badly.

Don't think there is any danger of getting any wind or sun burn on the face today .... more likely to go rusty with all the rain... and it's going to be depressingly dark all day 🙁.  I'm not impressed.

I've woken up with the now familiar furry lining in my mouth.  And despite the reduction in dose I can feel my feet beginning to become much more sensitive to touch etc.  

Also my pelvis is achying slightly - so a least I know the injections are working and my body is going on WB production with a vengance!

Snuggle up on the sofa today and keep cosy.

love to all

xx

The redness is steroids, according to my onc. I looked like a red delicious apple on Tuesday morning. Now sweating it out in hot, sticky weather, drinking gallons of water. It's uncomfortable but I suspect it's easy to deal with than cold and grey and dark!

Bythesea, that sounds like a big day. I hope you're feeling okay and whatever the next step, remember we are all here cheering you on (and being jealous of your views). x

I’m thinking it’s the steroids that’s giving me the round face ... plus all the food!! 😂😂

Didn’t get chance to see Carole but back from Berkshire and a bit drained tbh!

Sounds like you’ve got a lot going on potentially Bythesea , keep us in the loop ... last jab ! Bring it on!!

xx

Riverside dawn thanks for your post. I always like to hear other peoples story and a puppy is defo on the cards here!
Really just realising the effect this has had on me as I've just had the head down chow ing the elephant. Will be looking into a moving forward course and be looking to use up some sick days when the treatment us over!
Lesley maybe round face is from the mammoth steroid session you had??? Maybe see if you could get in our Olympic team next week???
Well done Carole, root toot toot!!!!!x
I've had an interesting day with scans and surgeon. Looks like my surgery might be moving forward and me missing my last chemo. Will find out on valentines day for sure so will be having my first glass of vino then :0) but after dinner tonight a special treat, maybe my last ever Filgrastim woo hoo xxxxx