Re: November 18 chemo starters

Hi all, back from EC round #2. Port worked well and I was much more relaxed. Am beginning to feel effects now though, very woozy but have popped more pills than an entire episode of The Wire. Just wanted to wish everyone due to go in today, tomorrow & Friday the best of luck. Pinklily, hope #3 is not as harsh as your last one. Hugs to Lou43, Holeinone,Clarabella, Milo and anyone else coming up for their second instalment of this surreal drama/sitcom/soap.

Hiya all!! Had some good news for a change on Tues. Got my results back for BRCA and they have come back as negative thankfully. I'm so relieved for my 25 year old daughter more than anything else and of course not having to worry about any preventative surgery. So back to worrying about the matter in hand and smashing it 😉 Didn't have a great week last week after my double dose (Carboplatin and Paclitaxel) but managable and been fine this week after just the Paclitaxel. As far as I can tell my lump has all but gone as I cant feel anything. It was really prominent and painful before my treatment started 6the Nov so I'm chuffed to bits it seems to be working 😉 Thinking of you all, take care xx

Thnks that's reassuring! Good luck!

Hi Gogga, 

I had my port fitted on 14 November and I still have bruising around it.  Like you it appears to come and go.  I've also noticed that the site over the line around my collar bone doesn't appear to be healing as well as I would normally. 

Thank you all so much for responding about the vein thing, it makes sense now as they have used the same spot in my hand 3 times in the last 3 weeks, once for 1st chemo, second for iv antibiotics and third for my 2nd chemo no wonder it hurts.  I haven't had my mastectomy yet, mine is chemo first so I will insist they use a different hand (if I dare ha ha).  

Im still in denial that I have breast cancer and wake up wondering why I feel rough and why is this happening to me.  I can't look in the mirror at my bald head and just want to wake up from this whole nightmare.  I'm sorry to rant like this but I can't to my family, they look to me to be strong and I'm fed up of been strong.

on a plus side I have fantastic sisters who live nearby (one two doors away) the other just up the road, they look after me so well that I feel bad about bemoaning what's happening to me, this horrible cancer thing has shattered my sisters and they are been so brave.  I also have a grown up son and daughter who are struggling to cope, I try to protect them as much as I can and won't let them see me on a bad day.

Sorry there I go again ranting.  I am lucky because I will beat this and providing I can survive the treatment ha ha, my prognosis is good ( I have 2 lumps one her+ other invasive ductal carcinoma) sorry don't know abbreviations.

tHank you all for listening and I hope others are well and coping with treatment.

love Tbird x

Hi everyone, hope you are all feeling relatively well today and managing to keep up with the festivities!

Hi Liloc, yes I have an 18 year old daughter and I'm 48 this month so realistically I'm not planning on having any more children and more than likely on my way to the menopause, so I guess this process just speeds things along a little!

Hi Milo & Holeinone, welcome to the thread.  You'll get lots of support and tips from these wonderful ladies, hang on in there

Hi Sals, OMG I am so with you on the wine front.  I too can only manage a glass now, but at least the lack of alcohol outways the excessive food intake!!

Hi TBird, I have my chemo through a cannula weekly, and try to alternate hands.  They put little heated bean bags or heated blankets on your hands at my hospital to warm up your veins first.  I found that after my second week my hand was still hurting as I'd used the same hand twice.  I think the pain can sometimes happen because of the speed the drugs go through.  You can ask them to turn the machine down a bit apparently.

My next session is Friday and will be the end of cycle 2 of 4 so will be half way trough my trial chemo, then off for three rounds of FEC. Yay!!!

Take care everyone and stay well

Lisa xx

I had a port put in on 15 November - is it normal to still have bruising over the port and over the suture line - it seems almost as if the bruising comes and goes?

Hi I had my first of 4 rounds of AC ( then 12 x PAC) on 22 November and am waiting for the hair loss to start- yet another uncontrollable wait ! 

Hello Sals

I'm from the August thread and have just finished my 6 chemo treatments - I had rubbish veins too but they did manage to find enough for me to have all my 6 treatments in one arm. A tip I was given was to drink lots of water the day before and the day of treatment. This is supposed to plump up your veins which will help. As such I used to drink around 6-8 pints of water the day before (plus my usual coffees / juice etc) and then as much as I could manage before my treatment on the day. Keep your hands warm too just before your treatment - the cold makes the veins hide!

Good luck

Sue x

Sorry just looked at that post loads of typos! Nothing to do with hemp that’s meant to say chemo!!!

Hi T-bird, I too have thechemo through a Canucks, I’ve only had 2 cycles but my nurse won’t use the same vein twice - god knows where she will find another 4 as i’m not meant to have anything in the mastectomy side arm, so far she used back of hand, side of wrist so we have inner elbow and then who knows!
I think it’s more about how the cans goes in and where rather than the hemp drugs as I have had 3 operations this year 😩 1on my back and 2 for the BC and for these I found the after effects of the canula were one of the most painful!
See if they can use the cans in your inner arm next time I think it’s the boniness if the hand that hurts.
Back to work today for me after my 2nd cycle last Tuesday - not feeling it!
Take care all 😘

Hi Tracy

the nurse did use a heat pad, but I had been in hotel nhs twice after my first chemo and had to have iv antibiotics in the same hand. 

I will ring nurse tomorrow if it doesn't start getting better, fingers crossed

tbird xx

Hi Tbird
I too am having a cannula in the back of the hand for chemo, although I haven’t had any problems the nurse will only put it in if my hand is warm so they use a heat pad, are they using one on you ?
Tracy x

Hi all, keep going we can do this!

Kateday, keep holding off that cold, you can do it. I keep getting a mini sore throat, it might be the weakened immune system? Good to know about the head hair growing back already, thank you. I'm scrubbing my legs like razy in the shower trying to get the leg hairs to fall out, haven't shaved in ages especially!

Pigeon, yes my taste buds went very strange for the first week, actually could not stomach a cup of tea and other things tasted odd so stuck to bland and squash for a while. Thank you for the hair info as well, interesting to read it concurs with Kateday.

Tbird, I have no experience of chemo through the hand. Hopefully someone else in the same position may be able to offer better advice. If not, maybe phone your chemo unit if it is causing discomfort?

Think I've lost about half my head hair since 14 days after first FEC, although as yet you can't tell, the bathroom bin knows the truth though!  

More chemo for me on Thursday Smiley Sad     

Hiya all

Ive had both sessions of chemo through a cannula in the back of my hand - 6 days post 2nd chemo my hand is still very sore.  Any suggestions 😍

Thank you Tbird x

Hi Kateday

Day 11 of round 2 for me, I seem to have little white/blonde hairs growing on my head too!? They’re so fine, I almost can’t even see them unless I catch them in the light. Very odd. I hope they don’t fall out, if only because I’m tired of finding little hairs everywhere! As for my other hair, my armpit hair is gone, lady garden is sparse, but quite a bit of my my leg hair is still happily growing 😩😂

Is anyone else having any weird tastebud changes on FEC? All of a sudden yesterday afternoon everything started tasing sour... at first I thought my lime cordial had gone off, but then realised it’s everything that tastes off/sour. I thought the taste change was more of a taxotere thing?! 🤷‍♀️

Hi all
I’m still plodding along , trying to fight a cold or whatever it is , no temp at present just that ache sore throat headache so on o have a week to get over it though before next cycle
As for the hair loss we’ll after having so many patches and braving the shave, my hair is now well I’m scared to say appears to be growing and is so blonde it’s nearly white , no leg hair no underarm hair very little lady hair, now will my head hair continue to grow or will I hit day 15 of this cycle and it bloody fall out again let’s see xx

Glad to see everyone is still plodding through.

Milo, hello I'm new too, joined just a couple of days ago. My chemo started the day before yours so our treatment cycles are pretty close. 

Sals, hope you hold off that cold! I'm hoping to handle the appetite if the oncologist has tweaked my anti sickness meds for next time, it's the steroids in one that are the cause of it. 

Have had really bad headaches these past few days, I'm waking with them. Trying to up the fluid intake this week and see if it makes the first week of chemo easier. Not looking forward to no sleep and sweaty nights for a week!

Hair loss, I've stopped brushing my hair and am washing it gently, as long as there's still enough to stick out from under a hat I'll be OK for now. Really hoping to lose leg and armpit hair, like Liloc I'm searching for good points in this Smiley Mad

Keep smiling November ladies Smiley Happy

Day 19 and my hair is coming out now, would have thought sooner as I didn’t cold cap, but still no bald patches so quite presentable. Having family and friends over for a Sunday roast this afternoon but think I’ll leave the cooking to my husband (he likes doing a roast anyway) as I don’t want to risk getting hair in everone’s food 🙄. Have just watched a tongue-in-cheek YouTube video with my 15-year-old son on how to hoover, so that’s his job for the morning to make the house shipshape and hairless. Hey, if having chemo means I can raise a son who hoovers, that’s not bad - ok, desperately looking for plus points to this crappity crapness but that might be a little one. 😉

Dear Sals, glad to see I am not the only up at stupid o'clock on a SundayWoman Happy Had my 2nd chemo on Fri and actually feel better than the 1st time. I think it was because I didn't use the cold cap, the last time I felt as though I was away with the fairies for 5 days. This time I just have the nausea but no sickness, thank the anti-nausea tablets. My 3rd cycle is on the 21st Dec so not doing much on christmas day but going out for a meal on boxing day, with the OH, daughter and Dad.