Re: November 18 chemo starters

Hi Sals, I have also had arm pain since my 3rd dose. Not at the cannulea site but mid forearm that went up to the bicep but it is easing after nearly 3 weeks. If it is red and swollen it should be checked cos yes it can be phlebitis or possibly a clot. Mine I think is cording as the vein seems to have shortened. Fortunately my other arm is still usable but it doesn’t bleed well, but will have to try that this time x

Hi sals

i had pain in my hand and forearm from the chemo starting in cannula site, I told doctors about it on several occasions I even went to assement unit because the pain was getting that bad.  I saw my oncologist Friday who said it was Phlebitis and told me to use ibuleve gel which I have and am now getting some relief from the pain.  I am also having a PICC line inserted tomorrow (so nervous) for the rest of my chemo treatments because my vein is that sore.  Sals ask your chemo nurse to use your other hand this time then ask your oncologist to refer you for a PICC line.

i am starting T on Tuesday and am so scared of the Unknown SE's again 😰😱 

Love Tbird xx

Hi everyone, can I ask, does anyone who is having their chemo through a cannula have any pain in their arm? I have had some pain that feels like bruising since my last sessio I thought it would wear off but it seems to be getting worse, i’ve got my next session on Tuesday and I really don’t feel like my arm will be able to take it! Just wondering if anyone has had any similar experience?
Thanks
Sals

Tracybev, Glad to hear your treatment went well, fingers crossed that it carries on that way! Xx

Yep I have my PICC line flushed in the Chemo ward every Thursday, and when its treatment week they also take bloods at the same time as the flush. Would have been nice if they’d checked my numbers beforehand, and phoned me to let me know, to save the trip! Not to mention the extra steroids they injected into me! Ah well. Hopefully I’ll sleep a little better tonight? Not feeling tired yet though 🙄

Sorry pigeon just seen your previous post you had bloods done day before not chemo day 🙄

Xx

Hi Pigeon

Sorry to hear your first T has been put back a week but like you say it's nice to know you will feel 'normal' for another week.

Went very well today feeling ok with no side effects yet but will take each day as it comes 💪.....only had about 15 mins sleep last night 😲 doubling up those bloody steroids meant I was wide awake still don't feel that tired tonight !!

Do you usually have your bloods done on chemo day ? I have mine done beginning of week about an hour before appt with consultant so they are back for him to check its ok to continue that week 's treatment

Tracy 

Kateday, I had horrible constipation after rounds 1 and 2. If the senna doesn’t help, my oncologist prescribed Movicol, which worked wonders for me - it softens things up so it’s not too painful to pass (sorry if TMI 😳) Or if it’s awhile before you’re due to see your onc, it might be worth trying your GP, mine have been really helpful with prescribing stuff like this!

Tracybev, did you have your first T today? Hope you’re not feeling too bad xx

Well! After all that faffing with steroids and other pills in preparation... I turned up to my appointment, sat in the chair, got all hooked up to the drip, had my steroid and anti sickness injections... the nurse went to fetch the taxotere from the pharmacy, and apparently the pharmacist couldn’t give it to her because one of my liver function counts is fine, but the other one is too high!

So long story short, they got in touch with my oncologist, and he said to postpone a week, plus have reduced dose next week!

Have to admit though, although it’s frustrating to have to postpone (and have more time to spend fretting over the anticipation of first T), I’m a little relieved to have another week of feeling “normal” and being able to get stuff done...

Hi all

Sorry to hear your treatment has been put back Harkes, it must be so frustrating and very painful having shingles.

to all others starting T this week I'm having my first T Tuesday 8th and am so 💩💩  myself, but at least we will be all in it together and can swap tips on SE etc, and for those who have to wait another week we can share tips with you.  I think starting T is like starting FEC for the first time again, it's the fear of the Unknown ahhhhh.

love Tbird xx

Good luck to all those starting the change over to tax I just finished my fourth EC and I’m dreading the change EC has been shocking and I’m preying with all my might tax is no worse
I also get very fed up of people saying you look well
Well I don’t and the heap of weight doesn’t help
So I’m now blinking constipated have took some senna let’s hope it works hehe x

Hi Jencat, well... I took my second dose at 6pm last night and was awake until ~3am! Unlucky I guess, but I’m not surprised, as the nervousness for starting T won’t have helped with any sleep issues! Today I will definitely stick to morning and afternoon doses.

Hi Sals, I had a bad time with FEC for rounds 1 and 2 with sickness, exhaustion, aches and pains, etc (although no unplanned hospital visits, fortunately) but round 3 went fairly smoothly and I seemed to bounce back relatively quickly in the second week, so who knows how T will treat me! We shall see over the next few days/weeks 😰 I just wish I knew what to expect.

Happy New Year, and Good luck to everyone starting to new regimes! I’ll keep you all posted with how I get on. xx

Hi All,

I am supposed to be having my first cycle of T next week but has now been postponed because I have got shingles! After spending most of Boxing Day in A & E with a chest infection this just caps a sh***y festive season for me. Hope the T goes better and good luck to all of you.

Hi pigeon,
I feel exactly the same about T, I start next Tuesday and somehow feel like as I have coped relatively well with FEC that this will be the one that wipes me out, fingers crossed i’m wrong about that. I saw my oncologist tonight and between us we discovered that the hospital forgot to give me the steroids to take before when I was there last so now they have to work out how I can get them!
Good luck to everyone especially those starting new regimes, let’s meet back here next week to discuss how s*** we feel!!! Happy New Year all lets hope this year sees the back of the big C for us all 😘

Hi pigeon, I'm from the Oct '17 thread. When I had T I was told to take the steroids morning and lunchtime/afternoon to avoid being kept awake at night. Saying that, I wasn't told that at first and I'd thought I'd better space them out as you do normally with tablets and I still seemed to sleep ok, but perhaps I was just lucky! x

Tracybev, looks like we both have our first T tomorrow - best of luck, I’ll think of you when I’m there.

Well, I just got back from having my bloods drawn and PICC line flushed.

I popped in to the hospital pharmacy to ask for advice regarding the steroids, they said to try to space them evenly in the day - morning and evening.

Then the nurse who did my flush/bloods said to take them morning and lunchtime/aftermoon, and avoid taking them after 4pm so they don’t keep you awake - she said when I go in tomorrow for treatment in the afternoon I should have had both doses.

So if we include last week’s nurse, that’s three different sets of advice I’ve had! 🤷‍♀️

Today I’m stuck with lunchtime and evening, because I didn’t take them this morning, but tomorrow and the next day I’ll take them morning and lunchtime.

Hi everyone
I started steroids today prior to first T tomorrow, my instructions say to take 4 in the morning then 4 before 3pm today, tomorrow and the day after I thought if you take later in the day it makes it difficult to sleep ! Guess we are all being given different instructions 😳 Just had 1st injection for Herceptin seem to be ok at the moment nurse has said main side effect is a headache ...can deal with that !
Take care all
Tracy x

Thanks Clarabella,

I asked the nurse about it when I had my PICC line flushed and she wasn’t really sure, but suggested that the day before I take 4 with lunch and then 4 with evening meal - since it says “24 hours”, and that keeps it somewhat close since my trealmente is at 14:30. I wish my instructions were more clear 🤔 

Do your instructions say to take in the evening on the day of chemo as well?

I have my blood test today and first round of Docetaxel tomorrow, and as happy as I was to see the last of the FEC, I think I’m more scared now than I was before my first round of chemo. I’m really dreading it! 😱

Just have to keep reminding myself that we’re halfway through, chemo will be finished before we know it.

Hi Pigeon,

I had my last EC on NYE (rock n roll) and move on to Docetexal (spelling?) next.  I too was given a lovely lot of steriods to take.  My instructions say to take 4 with breakfast the day before and 4 in the evening the day before, then 4 the morning of the chemo itself - not sure if this helps you or not.  

I have my bloods done on the same day as the chemo so I'm a bit concerned that I'll be as high as a kite and "fail" my blood test then have to start again!  

Given that I'm only getting about 4 hours sleep a night with the steriods for the EC I'm not looking forward to the increased dose.  

Happy New Year everyone! As I have been on a trial I have been having my chemo weekly and will be on week 9 (end of cycle 3) tomorrow. I had Paclitaxol and Carboplatin for the 1st week and every 3rd week and Paclitaxol only on day 8 and 15 of my cycle. The weeklies will end after week 12 (4 cyles) Then, I will begin 3 cycles of EC every 3 weeks, which I am dreading after reading the side effects you lovely ladies have been experiencing 😞 So, in essence we're doing our treatment it in reverse. I know we're all different but for me personally having the chemo weekly has been very manageable and have still managed to live life as normal as possible. The main thing I'm suffering is the build up in the fatigue but again listening to my body and resting when needed does the trick. So I'm hoping for you all that you have a better standard of living for your next half of your treatment 😘 Will be interesting to hear how you all get on xx

Hi Lou43

It seems like the side-effects are less with weekly T, and the research papers show better results for it so Im going to take the weekly option event though its logistically more challenging to get to the clinic weekly. So im keen to here your expereince with it.Im behind you other November starters as Im getting 4AC before the 4 T( or 12 weekly) so I still have 2 doses of AC to go - next one is on Friday